• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSP Hands-on at PS Meeting 2004

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
jiggle said:
But the no for games, yes for movies came after E3 '04. It was posted in the old GAF. Don't remember if it was from an article or interview though.

The regional coding issue is still under discussion within Sony. Actually american and expecially european SCE divisions are preying for the lockout to *be* there because they actually buy the games they locally distribute from the other divisions. And having a lockout free PSP + internet shops that sell import games scares the hell out of them.

It's not like Nintendo, which isn't organized as SCE is.

An almost simultaneous PSP software release program seems to be the only solution. Oh well, SCE could also change its global structure and make local divisions just plain distributors of PSP games (which probably means less money for them).

ourumov

For those planning an import that would suck...Anyways a portable system is meant to be played everywhere in the world...There is no sense on doing regional locks...

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
ourumov said:
For those planning an import that would suck...Anyways a portable system is meant to be played everywhere in the world...There is no sense on doing regional locks...
Extremely few people travel around the world, and even less stay on a different regional zone for a period enough to buy several videogames.

Imported games are niche, but imported handheld games are the nichest of the niche.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Funky Papa said:
Extremely few people travel around the world, and even less stay on a different regional zone for a period enough to buy several videogames.

Very true.

Imported games are niche, but imported handheld games are the nichest of the niche.

Not in Europe. US/JP to Europe importing is quite common within the dedicated players community. And since more and more people are buying games online...

Anyway, I wont rule out the possibility of the first bunch of PSPs to be import friendly to please the early adopters/ hardocre gamers and then release locked versions for the masses.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
TTP said:
Not in Europe. US/JP to Europe importing is quite common within the dedicated players community. And since more and more people are buying games online...
I don't really think so. It is true that imports are getting higher on europe (I import most of my console stuff indeed) but... What is the percentage for dedicated handheld gamers? And how many games do they buy? I don't know the numbers, but I know that I've only met more than a couple of gamers that import handheld games from Japan, and the japanese titles they get their hands on are few and very rare.

In the other hand, PS2 imports are common among hardcore gamers, but rarely outside of that circle.

Funky Papa said:
Extremely few people travel around the world
I'll remember that next time I'm on a thirteen hour coach flight that's packed like the metaphorical sardine can.

A lot of people travel to other countries these days, and the percentage is only growing. And all those people need something to do while they're sitting there, which is where portable gaming comes in.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Kobun Heat said:
I'll remember that next time I'm on a thirteen hour coach flight that's packed like the metaphorical sardine can.

A lot of people travel to other countries these days, and the percentage is only growing. And all those people need something to do while they're sitting there, which is where portable gaming comes in.
Hey, I travel a lot too, but lets be sincere, we are not significant to this market. How many gamers per cent do fly outside of their countries to other continent for long periods of time?

Maybe you can beg Sony for two unlocked PSP just for you and me... I promise you a gentleman's kiss if you get me one :p

Keio

For a Finer World
I think a significant number of GBA games get purchased at airports all over the world. I often buy a game if I have a long flight - and I've even bought games like Ninja Cop, just to kill time.

I guess a lot of casual gamers play while flying. Especially if the plane hits turbulence I can't concentrate on a book.

Anyways a portable system is meant to be played everywhere in the world.
But I forgot - the PSP isn't meant to be played away from home - or was the Kutaragi quote a mistranslation or something?

human5892

Queen of Denmark
Marconelly said:
You DO know that NDS is in the exact same boat as far as the 'greai white wall' goes?
I might be wrong, but I could've sworn the DS was completely self-sufficient (i.e., all the guts in the actual prototype) at E3. Even if not, there were private testing sessions with the media shortly afterwards where people held a fully-functional standalone unit.

Not that I care too much either way (even if PSP was running on a dev kit behind a wall, that doesn't mean anything in regards to the final version, except maybe they're a bit behind schedule or something of that sort) -- I'm just saying.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I might be wrong, but I could've sworn the DS was completely self-sufficient (i.e., all the guts in the actual prototype) at E3. Even if not, there were private testing sessions with the media shortly afterwards where people held a fully-functional standalone unit.
From all I've ever seen or heard - you are wrong. Even at the latest NDS press showing (last week) all the units were bolted to the booth and could not be lifted away from it. Same thing at E3. The only time that either of the two devices was demonstrated to work self sufficiently, was that move playback demonstration of PSP on Sony's press conference (which of course does not mean there was anything resembling the final hardware in that casing)

Top Bottom