• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSP is shown and disappoints all

Status
Not open for further replies.

NWO

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/09/02/news_6106399.html

LONDON--When the conference program at this year's Game Developers Conference Europe was first announced, the PSP-specific session quickly became one of the main draws. We were told that "the presentation also includes information about the new development tools and libraries and is designed to give developers an insight into PSP title development."

However, the 50-odd developers who stuck around for the end-of-day presentation were less than impressed. For one, there was nothing really "new" about the information presented. George Bain, the developer support manager for the Sony Computer Entertainment Europe Technology Group, was content to largely restate the machine's specs, most of which were known as early as last year.

Unsurprisingly, the thrust of Bain's presentation was directed strictly at developers. He explained how the PSP would use an openGL-style API, and although the device would be "almost as powerful as the PlayStation 2," its "programming would be more comparable to the PlayStation One."He also gave some examples of the device's graphics capabilities, such as four-point lighting and GPU skinning functions, which will allow for up to eight bone matrices.

To illustrate his point, Bain ran several all-new video PSP demos created at SCEE. Two showed simple video playback of television nature documentaries. The others showed computer-generated images of jet fighters streaking through the sky and fish swimming in the sea. The images looked slightly rougher than those shown at the US GDC in March, falling somewhere between a PS2 and an original PlayStation in quality.

Bain also explained the PSP's networking abilities. Using its built-in wireless 802.11b LAN connectivity, the handheld will let users connect to an Internet hotspot in or to each other via an ad hoc mode. Bain seemed particularly proud of the fact that the PSP will have a propriety protocol that will give each PSP-to-PSP game its own SSID (Service Set Identifier), allowing for multiple sets of multiplayer games in a single room. Bain also reiterated the PSP's USB 2.0 connectivity, which will allow the device to be connected to either PS2s or PCs.

The highlight of the presentation was the unveiling of the PSP hardware developing tool. The tool will allow for debugging from a host PC connected to a slaved PSP unit and will emulate the PSP's battery life. Currently costing 750,000 yen (approximately $6,800 or 5,600 euros) in Japan--it is not yet available in Europe--it will also contain two drives: one for DVDs and one for UMDs, the proprietary optical disk format used by the machine.

Ironically, it was a revelation about UMDs that drew the most disappointment from the crowd. Though he hyped the 1.8GB disc's multimedia capabilities by saying it could contain "four hours of digital TV-quality video" (versus two hours of DVD-quality video), Bain confirmed that consumers will not be able to record their own UMDs. "UMD writers will not be released to the public or to developers," he said. (Developers will have to record their gold masters on DVD-Rs, which they will submit to Sony.) However, while disappointing to consumers hoping for homemade portable movie libraries, Bain spun the lack of UMD burners as a positive thing for the piracy-plagued game industry. "A key highlight of the format is copy protection," he said.

Bain was less clear on the subject of whether or not the PSP would have MP3 playback, saying only, "that has not been confirmed yet." He said to expect more details at the upcoming Tokyo Game Show, where there will be fully playable PSP games on hand. He was happy to explain, though, that the PSP would be fully compatible with Sony's preferred--and more memory-demanding--ATRAC format, which could be played on the machine via one of Sony's proprietary memory sticks.

The session closed with an at-times heated exchange between reporters and Bain on the PSP's most controversial feature, its still-secret battery life. He refused to answer questions on the subject directly: "I have no idea what the battery life is going to be like. It will depend on a lot of factors, like how loud the player has the volume." However, he tried to assure skeptics that Sony's long record with portable electronics would ensure a respectable battery life. "I don't know what everyone is worried about...The PSP has been designed for low-power consumption," he said, mentioning the low-power demands of the device's VME (virtual mobile engine) specifically. He said both the PSP's battery life and final retail price would be revealed at the Tokyo Game Show later this month.

Insertia

it dissapointed because Sony didn't release any new information at a London show.

I understand Sony is suppose to show all at TGS, but shouldn't developers know these things by now?

DELAY.

"I have no idea what the battery life is going to be like. It will depend on a lot of factors, like how loud the player has the volume."

Sony demonstrates new battery-life extension method:
hear%20no%20evil%208.jpg

puck1337

The highlight of the presentation was the unveiling of the PSP hardware developing tool. The tool will allow for debugging from a host PC connected to a slaved PSP unit and will emulate the PSP's battery life. Currently costing 750,000 yen (approximately $6,800 or 5,600 euros) in Japan--it is not yet available in Europe--it will also contain two drives: one for DVDs and one for UMDs, the proprietary optical disk format used by the machine.
No devkits in Europe yet? Tsk tsk tsk.

Piracy helped alot the Ps1 in the early days.

I know lots of people who opted for a Ps1 cause you could pirate the games easily.

I think that battery life bit says it all. Why be secretive when you can let DEVELOPERS know just how fucking long the battery last on your device.

DOOMED

TheGreenGiant said:
I think that battery life bit says it all. Why be secretive when you can let DEVELOPERS know just how fucking long the battery last on your device.

DOOMED

Hasn't Kaz already explained the battery life, saying that it depends on alot of factors, like what type of game you're playing. A game like Puyo Pop will have a long battery life, while something like GT4 will last about 2 hours before needing to be recharged.

M3wThr33

Banned
Well, at least the wifi isn't removed yet.
Although I find it hilarious that they are stalling for time without releasing any new info.
They know the battery life is crap and that it won't play mp3s yet they just don't want to admit it. If you are giving out final test hardware to developers you have a rough estimate.

Troidal

This exact same thing will supposedly be used at TGS, although it will be hidden away obviously. If Sony claims that it is "running off on its own" at TGS, I'll be laughing.

h-103_30282_pspsyoukai.jpg.jpg

Deku Tree

No UMD writers even for publishers? Wow.

Does Nintendo give publishers writers for their disks or do they force developers to send the Gold disk to Nintendo?

SolidSnakex said:
Hasn't Kaz already explained the battery life, saying that it depends on alot of factors, like what type of game you're playing. A game like Puyo Pop will have a long battery life, while something like GT4 will last about 2 hours before needing to be recharged.

"I have no idea what the battery life is going to be like. It will depend on a lot of factors, like how loud the player has the volume."

first time I've ever read about anything like volume affecting batt. life. Sounds scary - I thought brightness was more of a concern (as seen on PDAs).

and

isnt' 2 fucking hours like nothing?

Bain seemed particularly proud of the fact that the PSP will have a propriety protocol that will give each PSP-to-PSP game its own SSID (Service Set Identifier), allowing for multiple sets of multiplayer games in a single room.
why wasn't that highlighted? </end positive spin> :D

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
first time I've ever read about anything like volume affecting batt. life. Sounds scary - I thought brightness was more of a concern (as seen on PDAs).
Sound volume does affect battery life on PDAs (or any other device, such as transistor radio, etc). Not much but it does.

The guy holding this presentation maybe even doesn't know what the battery is going to be, and even if he does, he may not be at the liberty to talk about it. NDAs are bitch, and he obviously doesn't decide what is NDA and what is not.

cybamerc

Will start substantiating his hate
Deku Tree said:
Does Nintendo give publishers writers for their disks or do they force developers to send the Gold disk to Nintendo?
Yes, or an approved disc manufacturer. This is the standard procedure for all consoles.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Marconelly said:
Sound volume does affect battery life on PDAs (or any other device, such as transistor radio, etc). Not much but it does.

The guy holding this presentation maybe even doesn't know what the battery is going to be, and even if he does, he may not be at the liberty to talk about it. NDAs are bitch, and he obviously doesn't decide what is NDA and what is not.

volume affects ipods also.

so then why would Mr. Bain not divulge the same information? And "Kaz", since we seem to be on a first name basis here, didn't give any details or specifics - just "depends".

Deg

Banned
The Gizmondo was on the other side at Gamestars. The damn thing has 128MB of RAM. Plays media really well apparently. They were touting it as the does everything mobile console. Will cost £220. I assume PSP will easily fall under than unless they are making a mess of the design and choosing the wrong components.

teiresias

This exact same thing will supposedly be used at TGS, although it will be hidden away obviously. If Sony claims that it is "running off on its own" at TGS, I'll be laughing.

Ummm, that's a hardware development kit you know, they made no mystery about what it was.

Deg

Banned
Newbie said:
The psp sounds great, but there is zero chance of me buying one if the batter life is as low as is rumored

i dont think it will be bad at all. It should be really good if they made the right choices. Of course it depends on many factors but there are always safe estimates. The guy shouldnt have acted so dismissive in front of the developers however.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
You know, Sony's built-in mindshare with mainstream gaming public aside, I'm wondering if PSP is really going to be the invinvicble beast that a lot of people are assuming it will be. I am beginning to suspect that PSP may have a very specific combination of hardware weaknesses which might allow somebody to come in and trump it - both in quality and sales, whatever the price. Christ on a crutch, if I were Nintendo I'd delay the friggin' DS and up the hardware's power just a tad - get rid of those not-quite-N64 graphics and make it Dreamcast level. Release at have the price of the PSP, and... hmm.

Or hell, if the released PSP is full of limitations and dissapointments, the door is wide open for Nintendo to examine with care and alter the direction (if they haven't already) of the real Gameboy successor project.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
The Gizmondo was on the other side at Gamestars. The damn thing has 128MB of RAM
I think only 16 of which can be used as a game execution space, the rest being just storage. Gizmondo uses quite traditional PDA hardware, with all the things that come with it - most obvious being that it's 3D capabilities are simply crap, and the games are downloaded, or distributed on a small media, such as small capacity SD cards. PSP uses a lot more cutting edge tech components, so I wouldn't think it's price will be below that based on memory alone.

Release at have the price of the PSP, and... hmm.
And... how do you suppose that new DS would have any better battery life and price than PSP, (if that's what you are concerned about)?

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Kaijima said:
You know, Sony's built-in mindshare with mainstream gaming public aside, I'm wondering if PSP is really going to be the invinvicble beast that a lot of people are assuming it will be. I am beginning to suspect that PSP may have a very specific combination of hardware weaknesses which might allow somebody to come in and trump it - both in quality and sales, whatever the price. Christ on a crutch, if I were Nintendo I'd delay the friggin' DS and up the hardware's power just a tad - get rid of those not-quite-N64 graphics and make it Dreamcast level. Release at have the price of the PSP, and... hmm.

Or hell, if the released PSP is full of limitations and dissapointments, the door is wide open for Nintendo to examine with care and alter the direction (if they haven't already) of the real Gameboy successor project.

Very positive about PSP, huh ?

:).

Deg

Banned
Marconelly said:
I think only 16 of which can be used as a game execution space, the rest being just storage. Gizmondo uses quite traditional PDA hardware, with all the things that come with it - most obvious being that it's 3D capabilities are simply crap, and the games are downloaded, or distributed on a small media, such as small capacity SD cards. PSP uses a lot more cutting edge tech components, so I wouldn't think it's price will be below that based on memory alone.

Well i dont know much about the system. And from what i can tell its got its work cut out to survive.

jarrod

Banned
Marconelly said:
And... how do you suppose that new DS would have any better battery life and price than PSP, (if that's what you are concerned about)?
Solid state media, propietary local wireless protocol, smaller frontlit screens... PSP's chipset won't be the biggest drainer on it, WiFi, UMD and the huge screen are all more significant factors.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Well i dont know much about the system. And from what i can tell its got its work cut out to survive.
Gizmondo? That's going to flop harder than nGage, and much like Zodiac, which is a similar device with simillar design philosophy. Developer support for those two devices is abysimal.

Solid state media, propietary local wireless protocol, smaller frontlit screens... PSP's chipset won't be the biggest drainer on it, WiFi, UMD and the huge screen are all more significant factors.
DS has two backlit screens, and has standard WiFi on top of it's propriatary wireless protocol. UMD would be a serious power drainer only if it constantly spins and reads data, which I think developers will be avoiding like a plague.

Deg

Banned
dog$ said:
NWO's bias is shown and surprises none

Huh?

actually the PSP conference itself resulted in dissapointment. He's just posting news.

However, the 50-odd developers who stuck around for the end-of-day presentation were less than impressed.

jarrod

Banned
Marconelly said:
DS has two backlit screens,
Is backlighting confirmed, I keep hearing conflicting reports? Regardless, powering the two DS screens is likely a lot less than PSP's larger, higher resolution screen. The screen is undoubtedly PSP's biggest drain, hopefully when OLED becomes a viable option we'll get a PSP SP or something to upgrade to.

Marconelly said:
and has standard WiFi on top of it's propriatary wireless protocol.
But the low cost wireless solution can be used for local multiplayer... on PSP WiFi is needed even for local multiplayer, on DS it would only be needed long distance/web.

Marconelly said:
UMD would be a serious power drainer only if it constantly spins and reads data, which I think developers will be avoiding like a plague.
Sure, but UMD will still eat more regardless.... again, all these factors are somewhat variable. Upping the DS chipset to DC-ish levels wouldn't automatically push it into PSP levels for battery drain... you're smarter than that Marco.

xsarien

daedsiluap
jarrod said:
Is backlighting confirmed, I keep hearing conflicting reports? Regardless, powering the two DS screens is likely a lot less than PSP's larger, higher resolution screen. The screen is undoubtedly PSP's biggest drain

I'd argue the optical drive. :p

mr2mike

Banned
"Sure, but UMD will still eat more regardless"

Disk drives are rather efficient these days, my minidisc can go for some 40 odd hours on one AA battery. I saw a MP3/WMA portable CD player that was labelled as 100 hours for WMA playback.

The name of the game is read-cache-stop. there ain't no way you're gonna see big games that constantly stream from music or level data from disc. and if you do see them, then THOSE are gonna be the battery hogs. normal games shouldn't cause a problem as far as battery drain through disc access goes.

"And... how do you suppose that new DS would have any better battery life and price than PSP, (if that's what you are concerned about)?"

Because its a Nintendo one.......

M3wThr33

Banned
The Zodiac kicks ass and anyone who disagrees never looked into the GP32.
It's replaced it as the king of the homebrew handhelds.

Che

Banned
Doom_Bringer said:
So Sony didn't announce some details about PSP at so european show and things are getting worse?

idiot

Cool man. I'm just saying the general feeling about PSP is not what it used to be. I'm not saying or implying anything more than that. You're a bit touchy, aren't you?

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Sure, but UMD will still eat more regardless.... again, all these factors are somewhat variable. Upping the DS chipset to DC-ish levels wouldn't automatically push it into PSP levels for battery drain... you're smarter than that Marco.

If you go for PSP like performance on a smaller screen you will be wasting your R&D dollars and for the rest of the system... well if you want similar performance you will pay a similar price.

Deg

Banned
Yeah DS will cost essentialy the same. The colour touch screen doesnt come that cheap either.

Socreges

Banned
Bain also reiterated the PSP's USB 2.0 connectivity, which will allow the device to be connected to either PS2s or PCs.
Well, that's good. Did not know that for sure. Does that mean we can play PSP games on a television?

Agent Dormer

Dirty Drinking Smoker
Marconelly said:

Um...

"The DS will run for ten hours on one lithium battery charge." - Official Nintendo Mag UK, #143, p. 24

So...

blinders.jpg

Lazy8s

The ghost of Dreamcast past
Neither a business plan which licenses its technology nor one which supplies its own tech in-house has the overall advantage over the other inherently. Both have the potential to be financially competitive. Sony's chips have been very late for the PSP timetable; maybe they would've been better off licensing MBX.

hooo

boooy
Deku Tree said:
No UMD writers even for publishers? Wow.

They've actually got units that take a cartridge with a harddrive in it. I think those units are magenta as apposed to the normal teal debug units.

Pachinko

I just wanted to reply to the shmoe who mumbled that he knew lots of a people who bought a PS1 because you could easily play and pirate games. Those are pointless sales, I mean the hardware itself is usually barely turning a profit especially at first and if you buy hardware with no intent of buying no games , no one is making money from you.

I'm going to laugh when it's battery life is announced as 3 hours or something pathetic. So many fence sitters will just drop off. If sony is really smart they'll just sell a rechargable lith ion battery that lasts atleast 8 hours seperatly... or better yet include it in the damn package...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom