• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSP Vs DS: Major 3rd Party Support Comparison

jarrod

Banned
Just a little fun before TGS and the western DS announcement make me update the lists... both Sony & Nintendo have issued 2 software lists so far for their new handhelds (at E3 and then one each in Japan over the summer). Here's how the big guys break down for confirmed games so far...

ACTIVISION

Nintendo DS
-Spider-Man 2
-Tony Hawk DS*
-X-Men Legends*

PlayStation Portable
-Activision Anthology*
-Spider-Man 2
-Tony Hawk's Underground 2

ATARI

Nintendo DS
-Atari Classics
-Dragon Ball Z

PlayStation Portable
-Transformers*

BANDAI

Nintendo DS
-Meteos
-Mobile Suit Gundam Seed
-One Piece

PlayStation Portable
-Gaghary
-Mobile Suit Gundam

CAPCOM

Nintendo DS
-Gyakuten Saiban series
-Megaman Battle Network series
-Viewtiful Joe series

PlayStation Portable
-DarkStalkers Chronicle
-Devil May Cry series
-Viewtiful Joe series

ELECTRONIC ARTS

Nintendo DS
-Goldeneye
-Madden NFL 2005
-Need for Speed Underground
-Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2005
-Urbz: Sims in the City

PlayStation Portable
-BurnOut*
-NBA Street
-NFL Street*
-Need for Speed Underground
-Tiger Woods PGA Tour

KONAMI

Nintendo DS
-Boktai
-Castlevania
-Dragon Booster
-Frogger 2005
-Ganbare Goemon
-Powerful Pro Baseball series
-Survival Kids
-Yu-Gi-Oh! Nightmare Troubador
-Vandal Hearts
-WiNX
-World Soccer Winning Eleven series

PlayStation Portable
-Frogger 2005
-Mahjong Kakutou
-Meikyu Tansaku Gata Monster Shooting
-Metal Gear Ac!d
-Ys: The Ark of Napishtam

NAMCO

Nintendo DS
-New Mr Driller
-New RPG
-Pac n' Roll
-Pac-Pix

PlayStation Portable
-New Ridge Racer
-Shin Mojibittan
-Tales of Eternia

SEGA SAMMY

Nintendo DS
-Chu Chu Rocket!*
-Jissen Pachislo Hisshopou! Fist of the North Star
-Phantasy Star Online DS*
-Project Rub
-Puyo Pop Fever
-Sonic DS

PlayStation Portable
-Project S
-Puyo Pop Fever

SQUARE ENIX

Nintendo DS
-Egg Monster Hero
-New Dragon Quest Monsters
-New Dragon Quest Slime Morimori
-New Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles
-New RPG (directed by Matsuno)*
-New Seiken Densetsu

PlayStation Portable
-Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children (UMD Video)

TAKE 2

Nintendo DS
-tba

PlayStation Portable
-New Game 1 (Leeds Studio)*
-New Game 2 (Leeds Studio)*

THQ

Nintendo DS
-New Game (Helix Studio)*
-SpongeBob SquarePants

PlayStation Portable
-tba

UBI SOFT

Nintendo DS
-Asphalt GT
-New Movie License
-Rayman DS

PlayStation Portable
-New Game (UbiSoft Montreal)*

...and of course first party lineups...

NINTENDO

Nintendo DS
-Animal Crossing
-Legend of Zelda: Four Swords DS*
-Mario Kart DS
-Metroid Prime: Hunters
-New puzzle game*
-New RPG (Brownie Brown)*
-New Super Mario Bros
-Nintendogs
-Picto-Chat
-Super Mario 64x4
-Wario Ware, Inc. DS

SONY COMPUTER ENTERTAINMENT

PlayStation Portable
-Ape Escape
-Ape Escape: Monkey Games
-ATV Offroad Fury
-Axel Impact International
-Death Jr
-Derby
-Dokodemo Issyo
-Fighting Spirits
-Formula One 04
-Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex
-Gran Turismo 4: Mobile
-Hard Corps
-Heaven Key Earth Gate
-Hot Shots Golf
-MediEvil
-NBA Shootout 2005
-NHL Face-Off 2005
-Popolocrois Story
-Syphon Filter: Logan's Shadow
-Talkman
-Twisted Metal: World Tour
-Wipeout Pure
-World Tour Soccer 2005
-WRC

*not yet officially announced

...overall Nintendo looks to have the eastern lead while Sony has the west. Of course it could all change with TGS and the August 10 DS announcement, we'll have to see. :)

Oh, and I didn't realize how stacked Sony's own PSP lineup is... they're really throwing everything they can at it!

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
PlayStation Portable
-Transformers
Really? When was that announced? Is that supposed to be a port of PS2 game or something new?

Btw, you can almost certainly count a Ubisoft PoP game for the PSP, if the interview in the last OPM is anything to go by. The PoP team leader was really impressed with PSP and said that they are definitely making 'something' for it.

*edit* Madden was not announced for PSP? Weird...

Memles

The volume of PSP titles does seem higher, but I think everything will level itself off when we see what EA is planning to do. If they announce titles in Hockey, etc. for DS and PSP, it's like the console wars. There's really no base that they don't have covered.

Definitely going for DS, though...Nintendo's lineup is too strong.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
but I think everything will level itself off when we see what EA is planning to do. If they announce titles in Hockey, etc. for DS and PSP, it's like the console wars. There's really no base that they don't have covered.
Don't count on them to level anything out. They have openly said several times now that they are putting way more support behind PSP.

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
Going with both but, im way more excited to see the lineup on DS in action, since its unlikely that all of them stick to traditional gaming.

The volume of PSP titles does seem higher

Yea but its kinda sucks that we'll see many of these on PS2 aswell, almost identical versions. If i have the choice, i'll its ps2 version for me, and i aint the type to buy the same game twice for different platforms.

Memles

Marconelly said:
Don't count on them to level anything out. They have openly said several times now that they are putting way more support behind PSP.

I don't mean volume wise...I mean in the fact that it might cover a few more bases. We'll likely see the Golf, the Soccer...it won't see the Street variations, but it will at least cover the Sports genre and level out the playing field (pun intended, sadly) when it comes to genres.

Izzy

Banned
Memles said:
The volume of PSP titles does seem higher, but I think everything will level itself off when we see what EA is planning to do.

EA also will announce its support for Sony Computer Entertainment’s PlayStation Portable (PSP) hand-held game machine, delivering four EA titles at the system’s launch with 10-12 additional titles following within the year

EA announce full PSP support

jarrod

Banned
Marconelly said:
Really? When was that announced? Is that supposed to be a port of PS2 game or something new?
No one knows, I think it was leaked in an interview by Melbourne House. I'm leaning towards an enhanced port most likely, especially if they want it by launch.

Marconelly said:
Not yet anyway, though it'll definitely make it one way or another.

shibbs said:
DS has less support in numbers, but i dont think they lack in systemsellers compared to the PSP.
I'd agree so far. DS seems to be getting the more important series generally (Madden, Yu-Gi-Oh, Megaman Battle Network, Sonic, DBZ, Square Enix support, etc)... at least at this stage.

Marconelly said:
Well, it's important to note that was all before E3... I think the overly positive DS reception may have forced many western companies to reevaluate their DS commitment. EA's certainly throwing the more important franchises at DS so far anyway.

Defensor

Mistaken iRobbery!
Marconelly said:
Because it won't be football season by the time it's released here in the states. I'd say a PSP Madden will be annouced at E32005 then released next August.

That said, Jarrod you better be picking up a PSP in addition to a DS!

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
the nintendo machine's got better third party support, but the sony machine's got the better first party lineup. go figure.

edit: well, those judgements are just in terms of the franchise names that are out there. a lot of the announced games we know nothing about could be ports of existing console titles, weird spinoffs, or just shit.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
jarrod said:
No one knows, I think it was leaked in an interview by Melbourne House. I'm leaning towards an enhanced port most likely, especially if they want it by launch.
I wouldn't say it was "leaked" so much as it was just contemplated within the context of the interview...

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=55421

Eurogamer: Is this likely to be a one-off project, or has Atari got you working on follow-ups already?

Andrew Carter: We are currently looking into what we want to put into a sequel to this game. We've got some ambitious ideas too because we really want to up the ante again on this one. It's too early to talk about though.

Eurogamer: Will they also be absent from other formats?

Andrew Carter: For the reason above I think so, but there may be possibilities of a conversion later. Perhaps a PSP version?! Let's see...

I wouldn't put much stock in it.

jarrod

Banned
Defensor said:
That said, Jarrod you better be picking up a PSP in addition to a DS!
I will be, even if it's $299. Can't pass up a New Ridge Racer and Ys. :)

kaching said:
I wouldn't say it was "leaked" so much as it was just contemplated within the context of the interview...

I wouldn't put much stock in it.
Huh? Guess IGN got a little overzealous then. :/

Hmmm, I've previously had very little interest in portable gaming, having never owned any major portable system. But these have my interest peaked:

-Transformers
-New Ridge Racer
-Gran Turismo 4: Mobile
-Twisted Metal: World Tour
-Wipeout Pure

However, if the price of a PSP is what I consider to be silly, meaning over $150, then forget it. My interest will stay very low.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
ACTIVISION
PSP wins.

ATARI
PSP wins a moral victory, DS wins in sales.

BANDAI
A winner is Nintendo.

CAPCOM
Megaman Battle Network wins. On DS.

ELECTRONIC ARTS
PSP wins.

KONAMI
DS wins.

NAMCO
PSP wins.

SEGA SAMMY
Everyone loses.

SQUARE ENIX
DS wins. FINISH HIM! Fatality.

TAKE 2
Winner tba (gaming-age forums)

THQ
DS wins by default, but feels bad about it.

UBI SOFT
Nintendo wins on the grounds that Sony didn't turn up.

NINTENDO
Um. DS has the edge?

SONY COMPUTER ENTERTAINMENT
Big win for DS.

No, that was a lie. PSP. And I'd probably just about take it over the Nintendo first party lineup.

Which means that all told I declare DS the winner of this round of the handheld wars, with a knockout in the ninth round. So who's ready for the next generation?

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Honestly, and this is a true first, I find Nintendo's first party lineup for the DS to be the weakest link. None of those announced games are particularly interesting to me. They're all ports or downsized versions of better console titles, or games with multiplayer focuses which don't interest me. Meanwhile publishers like Capcom, Konami and Square Enix are creating sequels that sound much more interesting, although they haven't been seen.

I guess it just seems that outside of those cool Pac-Man titles, that the games with the most potential are the ones that are sequels and expansions to GBA concepts, rather than downsized versions of modern console projects. I'd much rather see a new 2D Castlevania with dual screen action than a lame Mario Kart game that likely won't be better than MK64 or Double Dash in anything I value (ie. not graphics).

I love Nintendo and all that jazz, but their own lineup just seems incredibly weak to me. I have a GameCube and an N64, and so far they aren't offering me much new here. I really think they need to figure out a more appealing project to show off the unit's strengths.

Greekboy

Banned
jarrod said:
...overall Nintendo looks to have the eastern lead while Sony has the west. Of course it could all change with TGS and the August 10 DS announcement, we'll have to see. :)

Oh, and I didn't realize how stacked Sony's own PSP lineup is... they're really throwing everything they can at it!

This is going to be a crazy war but right now I'm leaning towards the DS because of the ability to also play GBA titles (I don't own a GBA) and because of Nintendo's games. That however does not mean that I won't be buying the PSP as well.

EDIT: People are quickly dismissing Nintendo's lineup but I'm willing to bet that Miyamoto et al will pull off some sweet innovative gameplay ideas with the dual screens that will have us shocked.

iapetus said:
SEGA SAMMY
Everyone loses.

WHAT DO YOU MEAN BY THIS COMMENT.??!!!

I think Nintendo Getting a Sonic game is good for the Nintendo DS. So far by the List, I am more impressed by the games on the Nintenbdo DS. We now get to see what the games for the N64 would have looked like by 3rd party companies, if Nintenbdo had cone with cd. I Hope Nintendo does well with the Nintendo DS.

fennec fox

ferrets ferrets ferrets ferrets FERRETS!!!
Lisa Lashes said:
EDIT: People are quickly dismissing Nintendo's lineup but I'm willing to bet that Miyamoto et al will pull off some sweet innovative gameplay ideas with the dual screens that will have us shocked.
Between now and the end of 2004?

Memles

Lisa Lashes said:
People are quickly dismissing Nintendo's lineup but I'm willing to bet that Miyamoto et al will pull off some sweet innovative gameplay ideas with the dual screens that will have us shocked.

I really HATE to agree with you, but an exception I make.

I fully expect to see something from Nintendo that truly takes advantage of every aspect of the DS. Mario 64x4 and Mario Kart are their freebies, taking advantage of neither of the functions in a major way thus far. Metroid, Wario Ware, they use the touch screen. Four Swords/Animal Crossing take advantage of the dual screens mostly (Although Animal Crossing has fairly minimal uses of both functions, I'd gather).

But there has yet to be a shining showcase for both major features. I'm expecting such a game to show itself at some point. What it is at this point...one can only guess.

Memles said:
Mario 64x4 and Mario Kart are their freebies, taking advantage of neither of the functions in a major way thus far.
I'd say wireless multiplayer is a major feature, but I see your point.

EDIT: And I wouldn't count out a secret launch title or two, just because there's still a major announcement between now and launch.

Memles

Kobun Heat said:
I'd say wireless multiplayer is a major feature, but I see your point.

Wireless Multiplayer actually seems to be a fairly global idea for all of Nintendo's titles...Metroid/Mario 64x4/Mario Kart/Animal Crossing/Four Swords and maybe even Wario Ware will all use it to some extent. It's kind of universal for first party titles, but use of the two mainf eatures doesn't seem to be.

Also, I'm surprised that we've seen only one major touchscreen-dependent game from NOA, which is Wario. Prime Hunters will probably best be played using the 'standard' control scheme, and everything else at E3 was just a demo IIRC.

Memles

Kobun Heat said:
Also, I'm surprised that we've seen only one major touchscreen-dependent game from NOA, which is Wario. Prime Hunters will probably best be played using the 'standard' control scheme, and everything else at E3 was just a demo IIRC.

Definitely, on this. The problem is that Nintendo will really have to dig outside of its normal franchise pit on this one. I can't think of a major Nintendo franchise that is begging for a touch screen. Instead, it looks like they might have to instead do something different...which I will be very interested to see.

heidern

Looking at Japan:

BANDAI - Nintendo wins

Nintendo DS
-Meteos
-Mobile Suit Gundam Seed
-One Piece

PlayStation Portable
-Gaghary
-Mobile Suit Gundam

CAPCOM - Nintendo wins(in terms of sales)

Nintendo DS
-Gyakuten Saiban series
-Megaman Battle Network series
-Viewtiful Joe series

PlayStation Portable
-DarkStalkers Chronicle
-Devil May Cry series
-Viewtiful Joe series

KONAMI - Nintendo wins

Nintendo DS
-Boktai
-Castlevania
-Frogger 2005
-Ganbare Goemon
-Survival Kids
-Yu-Gi-Oh! Nightmare Troubador
-Vandal Hearts

PlayStation Portable
-Frogger 2005
-Mahjong Kakutou
-Meikyu Tansaku Gata Monster Shooting
-Metal Gear Ac!d
-Ys: The Ark of Napishtam

NAMCO - Draw(although if the new DS rpg is a new Tales Nintendo win)

Nintendo DS
-New Mr Driller
-New RPG
-Pac n' Roll
-Pac-Pix

PlayStation Portable
-New Ridge Racer
-Shin Mojibittan
-Tales of Eternia

SEGA SAMMY - Nintendo wins

Nintendo DS
-Jissen Pachislo Hisshopou! Fist of the North Star
-Project Rub
-Sonic DS

PlayStation Portable
-Project S
-Puyo Pop Fever

SQUARE ENIX - Nintendo wins

Nintendo DS
-Egg Monster Heroes
-New Dragon Quest Monsters
-New Dragon Quest Slime Morimori
-New Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles
-New RPG (directed by Matsuno)
-New Seiken Densetsu

PlayStation Portable
-Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children (UMD Video)
----------------------------------------------------------------

Seems like Nintendo are winning in a big way in Japan. Especially with the Squenix support.(btw which game do you think they are trying to get for launch?). Nintendo first party is also much stronger than Sony in Japan and they also have strong support from the likes of Atlus and games like Naruto from Tomy is it?. TGS could be crucial for the PSP in Japan.

Oh, it also seems to me that Nintendo have held back a lot. They showed nothing of the voice recognition. Seems to me, that they only showcased some of the possibilities so that they get a focused message rather than diluting it with breadth of examples.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Even though NDS is receiving great support from SquareEnix, only the Matsuno-directed RPG is really something to be excited over IMO. I can see people wanting a new Seiken Densetsu though.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
BobbyRobby said:
I'm under the impression that Nintendo is hiding all of its big guns for the DS.
From who? All their dual screen, touch panel portable gaming competitors who would try to steal their thunder?

As much as I want to think it I don't see Nintendo having too much left to show for a while, certainly in terms of launch games. Why? Because if history is anything to go by the more Nintendo fans think that something big is coming the less big that thing ends up being (cf. Megaton) whereas the less they expect something to be big the bigger it is (cf. Zelda 2005).

Plus I can't really shake the nagging feeling that in designing the DS Nintendo just threw everything they could think of into the pot, regardless of whether they had a showcase game for it or not. I mean if it's a game that utilises the DS's unique functions why hold it back? It can't be fear of the idea being nicked by the competition.

Kon Tiki

Banned
kaching said:
From who? All their dual screen, touch panel portable gaming competitors who would try to steal their thunder?

Yes, or you can call them 3rd parties like the rest of us do. ;)

Society said:
Yes, or you can call them 3rd parties like the rest of us do. ;)

But by not having third parties using the DS's unique features, doesn't that invalidate them. If Nintendo are trying to create a new way of hardware making emphasising new ways of playing it would be smarter to have as much backing as possible to push it through. Trying to shunt third parties out of the DS unique feature loop would mean less games that emphasis the DS unique selling points, which would mean less presence for the DS's unique features, which would be bad for the DS.

Furthermore it could have consequences about third parties feel about the Revolution. If its taking the not just more powerful hardware approach as well, but developers are annoyed at Nintendo for trying to hog the pushing gaming biscuits.

And this is new third parties are hip Nintendo, not old-school paranoid and arrogant Nintendo.

Scoobert

Memles said:
Definitely, on this. The problem is that Nintendo will really have to dig outside of its normal franchise pit on this one. I can't think of a major Nintendo franchise that is begging for a touch screen. Instead, it looks like they might have to instead do something different...which I will be very interested to see.

Pikmin? Advance Wars?

Hmm...not sure what else. You know they have a lot cooking. This is Nintendo, king of secrets.

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
Nintendo would be showing demos internally to these devs to showcase what DS can do, not their internal games in development, its not because they would have something shocking or anything, just protective of their properties and ideas, they're a software developer and publisher too afterall, if their thunder is stolen by a 3rd party that copied, its lost money. It doesnt mean that the 3rd party is ignorant of what could be done with DS or that he never saw demos of what it could do, its just that nintendo is leaving the creative side to them, which is normal, they arent there to babysit each devs.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Lisa Lashes said:
As others have pointed out in semi/indirect defense of my comments, I'm not dismissing Nintendo's entire and future software lineup. I'm just saying, the games they have announced and that we know a decent amount about (ie. excluding Nintendogs, etc) are far from the epitome of fresh experiences or even titles that capitalize on the new features that the Nintendo DS brings to the gaming arena. I have no doubt that eventually they'll have something big that really shows potential, but as of now, their known lineup seems quite underwhelming to me.

Hell, I do believe it was just confirmed that they have 20 some titles in development, so obviously we haven't seen everything they have going on. I'd also love nothing more to be proven wrong. I just haven't been impressed at all by Nintendo's first party lineup yet. I just always figured if anyone was really going to show off the unit's features first, it'd be Nintendo, but I still think that so far Namco's done the best job with its Pac-Man duo.

Memles

Scoobert said:
Pikmin? Advance Wars?

Hmm...not sure what else. You know they have a lot cooking. This is Nintendo, king of secrets.

I should be shot for not remembering either of those. Right now. Come on, I'm ready.

Once again, two more titles of Nintendo's that have Multiplayer...jeesh.

Auron

I really can't see the PSP doing much against Nintendo without SquareEnix(the movie doesn't count). Without them it's already game over.

jarrod

Banned
Kiriku said:
Even though NDS is receiving great support from SquareEnix, only the Matsuno-directed RPG is really something to be excited over IMO. I can see people wanting a new Seiken Densetsu though.
Respect the SLIME!!

MoxManiac said:
PSP has Darkstalkers/Vampire Chronicle. NDS does not.

PSP wins.

Yeah. And the DS has the most profitable and best selling software of the two systems: Nintendo games. If developers follow the PS2 pattern then Darkstalkers should be headed to the DS sometime in the future. I imagine they'll want it on the most popular system.

Top Bottom