• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSP's low price have something to do with screen quality?

xexex

Banned
ok remember at E3 when Kaz showed off the PSP with a beautiful TFT screen? I think he, or some Sony official, said that the production model would not have such a high quality screen/display. I'm sorry if I missed it in the large PSP price thread, or some other thread, or article, but what is the final production PSP screen compared to the one shown at E3?

I'm not talking about screen resolution because that apparently has not changed, I'm talking about screen quality.

if the consumer PSP screen is much lower end than the E3 PSP screen, could that have had an impact on Sony's pricing, and by how much?

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
If they affect the screen in anyway from the E3 version

-1 sale for PSP (assuming that they made the screen worse than before)

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
It was a rumor which was completely false. PSP screen is confirmedly made by Sharp, uses the same technology they use to make their new TVs, and has brightness/contrast of 180-200cd/m2 (which is basicaly unheard of on handheld screens).

Soul4ger

It would be wildly funny if they did change it, though, since that's the reason everyone gives for wanting the damn thing...

Marconelly said:
It was a rumor which was completely false. PSP screen is confirmedly made by Sharp, uses the same technology they use to make their new TVs, and has brightness/contrast of 180-200cd/m2 (which is basicaly unheard of on handheld screens).

Screw the brightness (which will be turned way down for the battery's sake), I'm more impressed with the 24bit color depth. Now that's unheard of in handhelds.

fennec fox

ferrets ferrets ferrets ferrets FERRETS!!!
That would also anger the 150,000 gamers and industry types who played the lovely-looking PSP at the Tokyo Game Show. In fact, that screen at ~$200 is what surprises me the most about it all.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
PSP... uhm... :)... 24 bits, 480x272, 4.3'' and 180-200 cd/m^2 makes for a great kick-ass screen.

Thanks Sharp (they know what they are doing :)), thanks SCE.

Reportedly, since E3 the screen was improoved at least in terms of viewing angle.

Panajev2001a said:
PSP... uhm... :)... 24 bits, 480x272, 4.3'' and 180-200 cd/m^2 makes for a great kick-ass screen.

Thanks Sharp, thanks SCE.

I know pana. It's too bad that none of the PSP games are gonna run @ 24bit color for a while I bet. Alot of ugly dithering is gonna be the norm from what I seen of the screenshots so far.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
The only game I've actually seen being dithered is DW which is ugly no matter how you look at it. I don't remember seeing any in RR, HSG or any other good looking game, for that matter.

Screw the brightness (which will be turned way down for the battery's sake)
Heh, even like that it should be lit about as much as a regular PDA screen.

Axsider

Banned
Worse PSP-screen?? This could be Reggies damage-controll! But it's false.
laugh.gif

Oh my god.... what a day!
....I love it! :D :D :D :D

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
Sharp products by and large...suck.

I'll reserve judgement tho.

Played it at TGS and unless they changed that version (which was the final model) then believe me there's nothing wrong with the screen. Kutaragi says it is cheaper than expected because "half of all the components are produced interally by Sony" according to Associated Press. The end. IBL.

XS+

Banned
What made Sony solicit Sharp's help again? Doesn't Sony already make amazing-looking monitors internally?

FriScho

Nintendo is just expensive, that's why PSP looks cheap compared. PSP is just a realistic bang-for-the-bucks and Nintendo is rip-off you got used to. End of story.

Top Bottom