• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pushmo/Pullblox World | OT | I see a little silhouetto of a Mallo

sntstbn

Neo Member
I made two pushmos. I think they're clever. I would love it if you let me know what you think.

zlCfzSJI1a8TM2SgsA

zlCfzSJYqlYBrDLhFY

Since I have $10 from the Deluxe Digital promotion, I've been considering this as my next purchase, but the game has received little to no fanfare outside of this little thread here. Were people really burned out from the 2 previous games, were they hesitant because the Wii U can't do the 3D stuff the portable versions, or is there something wrong with this game? I seriously doubt its the latter but I had to include that as a possibility. Nonetheless, this looks like a no brainer, I was just curious why the hype for this game was next to nothing...?

zroid

Banned
Since I have $10 from the Deluxe Digital promotion, I've been considering this as my next purchase, but the game has received little to no fanfare outside of this little thread here. Were people really burned out from the 2 previous games, were they hesitant because the Wii U can't do the 3D stuff the portable versions, or is there something wrong with this game? I seriously doubt its the latter but I had to include that as a possibility. Nonetheless, this looks like a no brainer, I was just curious why the hype for this game was next to nothing...?

Who knows. Puzzle games are too niche nowadays, I guess. Same thing happened to Crashmo, not many people really cared about it and the OT died off. Although maybe that's because it was too hard and everyone gave up. :lol

I think the 3DS Pushmo was surprisingly popular because it was the first original eShop game Nintendo developed, so a lot of folks checked it out.

ZeroX03

Banned
Crashmo kicked my ass. Only got like 20 puzzles into it.

This game is awesome though, but I'm usually playing it in bed before sleeping so I don't really come on GAF to talk about it. Sucks that it doesn't seem to be more popular. Really is fantastic.

Phil S.

Banned
Crashmo was too hard for me. I couldn't get my brain to grasp that game at all. :(
That said, I'm really wanting to try this one out, as I loved the 3DS original.

Fireblend

Banned
3DS QR codes are compatible with Pushmo World, right? I made a TARDIS for you guys!

cmtyqym.jpg

My first pushmo, so be forgiving. I've been trying to beat the 3DS version for ages, and I'm really near the end (fuck the bonus levels, I thought I was done with it when the credits started rolling). I'm definitely getting this one soon :D

maxcriden

The game is amazing. As zroid said, puzzle games just don't get a lot of buzz these days. Have you played the original? This is pretty similar so burn out is a possibility. But this is an amazing game packed with content regardless. I seriously couldn't be more delighted with my purchase.

sntstbn

Neo Member
Made this:

zlCfzSH2rDM-awR07Y

It's pretty easy but yeah :c

Not that easy. It took me a while.

I tried to give you a 'Yeah!' but Pushmo makes it pretty hard to find specific Pushmos in the Pushmo World Fair. Hopefully they'll fix that in an update.

maxcriden

In the 140s now and the
Aquarium
was absolutely brutal. Took us like an hour or so and we barely beat it before tiredness sent us off to bed. I'm still surprised we managed to conquer it last night at all. Anyone else play this one yet?

zroid

Banned
Not that easy. It took me a while.

I tried to give you a 'Yeah!' but Pushmo makes it pretty hard to find specific Pushmos in the Pushmo World Fair. Hopefully they'll fix that in an update.

Haha, thanks :p

And I actually noticed you managed to Yeah it after all, hehe

daydream

Banned
Another failed attempt at 130. Don't know what it is that is giving me such a hard time. I guess I get wound up in ancillary considerations which distract me from a straight-forward march to victory? *sigh*

Not giving in to Papa Bloxx, though.

Edit: I'm dumb, see below.

maxcriden

Another failed attempt at 130. Don't know what it is that is giving me such a hard time. I guess I get wound up in ancillary considerations which distract me from a straight-forward march to victory? *sigh*

Not giving in to Papa Bloxx, though.

Is that
Martian?
That was a really tricky one. I'm stuck on 148 at the moment. I'm going to take today off from it and see if I can come back tomorrow or something with fresher eyes.

daydream

Banned
Is that
Martian?
That was a really tricky one. I'm stuck on 148 at the moment. I'm going to take today off from it and see if I can come back tomorrow or something with fresher eyes.

Actually, I meant to say 120, so the last regular puzzle. :(

I'll try again later..

maxcriden

Actually, I meant to say 120, so the last regular puzzle. :(

I'll try again later..

Oh! You mean the
Boss
level? Sorry if I spoiled 130 for you, amigo. Yeah, that one was really tough. Papa Blox has a good hint for you that doesn't spoil the whole thing, though. I had to ask him for it.

daydream

Banned
Oh! You mean the
Boss
level? Sorry if I spoiled 130 for you, amigo. Yeah, that one was really tough. Papa Blox has a good hint for you that doesn't spoil the whole thing, though. I had to ask him for it.

No problem, I don't consider it a spoiler, at all.

Yeah, I dunno. I'll try one more time and then take the hint, I guess. I think I got a pretty clear idea in my head of how the solution would go but I seem to get distracted by minutiae.

maxcriden

No problem, I don't consider it a spoiler, at all.

Yeah, I dunno. I'll try one more time and then take the hint, I guess. I think I got a pretty clear idea in my head of how the solution would go but I seem to get distracted by minutiae.

Good deal. It's funny that he's there to offer a hint for that puzzle, but not for many subsequent or preceding ones. I've found 120 and beyond to be just obscenely difficult (and fun!).

maxcriden

♫ ♫ ♫ Scaramouche Scaramouche can you do the Blox-dango! ♫ ♫ ♫

Finally beat 148!!! With my wife's help. Yay!

maxcriden

Progress! I'm dumb!

No. 126 Butterfly is fantastic.

Yay! You're doing great. We finally beat 150, the last regular puzzle, a couple of days ago. That one took a couple days to complete for sure. Finally doing some user-created Pushmo now, and I'm looking forward to checking out the ones in this thread!

BowieZ

Banned
Well that was a fun month of being banned -- shame the hype and community has all but dropped off now.

Max, have you tried Nabbit yet?

zlCfzSKwP607CXrGXs

zlCfzSMaCXwDk4TF-r

maxcriden

OMG!!! You're back. That's...amazing. I hadn't seen Nabbit yet, I was just going to email to ask you about it. I'm going to try it today. I'm so psyched! Do you (or does anyone) have a way of shrinking down the pixel art to make an avatar?

Also, silly question--how...haha, how do I import Pushmos using QR? I've never done it before. ;_;

BTW, the hype is still here and real. You and daydreaming and I can keep. This. Thread. Going. Forever!

daydream

Banned
Great Nabbit, Bowie! Welcome back!

OMG!!! You're back. That's...amazing. I hadn't seen Nabbit yet, I was just going to email to ask you about it. I'm going to try it today. I'm so psyched! Do you (or does anyone) have a way of shrinking down the pixel art to make an avatar?

Also, silly question--how...haha, how do I import Pushmos using QR? I've never done it before. ;_;

BTW, the hype is still here and real. You and daydreaming and I can keep. This. Thread. Going. Forever!

Pullblox Studio > choose an empty spot in your book > Read QR code (bottom right) > acrobatics

Actually, scanning those codes must really suck if you don't have a laptop. :X

maxcriden

GUYS! I did it.

zlCfzSO3EuEyE53VzI

BowieZ, you are a true master of the Pushmo craft. My wife and I have done a bunch of user-made Pushmos now and yours was by the most technically savvy, creative, and all around had that je ne sais quoi of what makes a Pushmo, a Pushmo. I'm eager to try more of your amazing puzzles! Thanks again for making the Nabbit one, it was hard and awesome and I absolutely loved it.

(Please, won't someone make a Nabbit Pushmo avatar for me? ;_;)

BowieZ

Banned
GUYS! I did it.

zlCfzSO3EuEyE53VzI

BowieZ, you are a true master of the Pushmo craft. My wife and I have done a bunch of user-made Pushmos now and yours was by the most technically savvy, creative, and all around had that je ne sais quoi of what makes a Pushmo, a Pushmo. I'm eager to try more of your amazing puzzles! Thanks again for making the Nabbit one, it was hard and awesome and I absolutely loved it.

(Please, won't someone make a Nabbit Pushmo avatar for me? ;_;)
Pffft don't exaggerate :p I'm glad you enjoyed it though!

Was it actually that hard, though? After finishing the Crying Mario one, Nabbit seems much easier (so long as you figure out the sneaky shifting platforms trick to initially get to the top.

maxcriden

Pffft don't exaggerate :p I'm glad you enjoyed it though!

Was it actually that hard, though? After finishing the Crying Mario one, Nabbit seems much easier (so long as you figure out the sneaky shifting platforms trick to initially get to the top.

No, I loved it! It was awesome. I thought it was actually pretty tricky. I haven't tried Crying Mario or your other puzzles yet. Nabbit was definitely harder than 80% or more of the puzzles included in the game.

Roo

I just finished this game. All the stock puzzles that came with the game.
Some were hard as fuck but I fucking loved them.
Now I need to focus on those made by other users.

Also, thanks again for introducing me to this IP, maxcriden.
By the way, it's dangerous to go alone.
Here, take this:
ir5p0cTDIh45J.png

maxcriden

I just finished this game. All the stock puzzles that came with the game.
Some were hard as fuck but I fucking loved them.
Now I need to focus on those made by other users.

Also, thanks again for introducing me to this IP, maxcriden.
By the way, it's dangerous to go alone.
Here, take this:
ir5p0cTDIh45J.png

AMAZING! Thank you so much, Alistair!

You beat all of the main, Mysterious and Bonus puzzles? That's awesome! We just did that the other day and it was such a great sense of accomplishment. Okay, going to "equip" my new avatar now! Thanks again, man!

Phil S.

Banned
Haha. That's awesome you got a new Pushmo Nabbit avatar, max. :)

It's even more awesome that you made it, Alistair Roo. :) x2

Roo

AMAZING! Thank you so much, Alistair!

You beat all of the main, Mysterious and Bonus puzzles? That's awesome! We just did that the other day and it was such a great sense of accomplishment. Okay, going to "equip" my new avatar now! Thanks again, man!

Yeah, all of them.
I have to admit I watched some youtube videos for some of the Mysterious puzzles because I swear for the life of me I couldn't figure them out but I solved 90% of the game on my own. Considering I'm new to this I think that's a huge archivement lol

Haha. That's awesome you got a new Pushmo Nabbit avatar, max. :)

It's even more awesome that you made it, Alistair Roo. :) x2
I made it using BowieZ' puzzle. Hope he doesn't mind :p

maxcriden

Yeah, all of them.
I have to admit I watched some youtube videos for some of the Mysterious puzzles because I swear for the life of me I couldn't figure them out but I solved 90% of the game on my own. Considering I'm new to this I think that's a huge archivement lol

Yeah, some of those were ridiculously tricky. I'm sure if I didn't have my wife to give me hints when I got stuck (and Papa Blox to give hints on Puzzle 120
Boss
), I would've definitely done the same. You did awesomely, man!

maxcriden

New Sugioka puzzle is out (Mallo's Holiday).

Also, I'm gonna finish this game today! I hope!

Sweet! Good luck! Let us know how it goes.

Also, my wife did the Mallo's Holiday puzzle. It wasn't too bad in dififculty but was plenty tricky in parts. Looked like a fun puzzle.

daydream

Banned
Got all the stamps, so I'm done with the game. Gonna check out some of the puzzles I downloaded before I put this down, though.

So, the final stretch was surprisingly disappointing. It felt like they desperately needed to top their usual four or five star Pushmos so they just decided to create these huge puzzles with not much rhyme or reason to them. Parts of 130-140 and pretty much all of 140-150 were tedious more than anything, requiring you to throw stuff at a wall until something sticks. Mechanics like the rewind feature also really prove to be too limited in their duration for challenges that tend to drag for longer than need be. Definitely didn't make for a fun or clever experience by the end. In the regular puzzle department, the 3DS Pushmo is superior, offering a tighter difficulty curve and a near-flawless overall progression.

Still, despite that sour note this was still a great Pushmo game. There were some definite highlights in there among the regular puzzles, and the Mysterious Pullblox were a fantastic addition, though even here, they could have stopped after the first batch of Mysterious Murals. The later ones definitely don't hit that sweet spot that a good Pushmo should hit, and they also limited themselves (again!) to only one of the new mechanics for all of the Murals. More variety wouldn't have hurt.

The soundtrack which I thoroughly enjoyed deserves a shoutout. The sharing (World Pullblox Fair) while more convenient than before could have been implemented so much better. Better sorting options, smarter, more comprehensive accessiblity, etc. (I and others posted about the shortcomings before) would have gone a long way. The same simplistic infrastructure certainly won't do for something like Mario Maker.

Despite my gripes, it remains undoubtedly a great puzzle game and still a fantastic formula (which, as they have shown, can be iterated upon in interesting ways) - but it doesn't make the 3DS Pushmo obsolete by any stretch.

Ok, time to jump in some of the user-created madness before waving goodbye.

maxcriden

Just downloaded this with DDP credit as Pushmo is my favorite 3ds game. I can't use the Pro controller? Really?

Yeah, my preference would be the Wiimote and/or Wiimote and Nunchuk, but I can see the value in the second analog stick being able to give you different views of the puzzle.

sntstbn

Neo Member
I'm at 108. I'm getting worried that after I'm done I won't find a lot of non-mural puzzles, which are what I like the most. Anyone have some favorites that they want to share?

maxcriden

I'm at 108. I'm getting worried that after I'm done I won't find a lot of non-mural puzzles, which are what I like the most. Anyone have some favorites that they want to share?

Most of the user-created puzzles that I've seen are murals. I'm not sure of a good resource for UCPs but I'll look into that for you. The official in-game Miiverse function is pretty limited.

Just got this thing :). Will be interesting to see how far I get before the game starts kicking my ass. So far, so good. There are 150 pushmos in total, right?

Foffy

Banned
Has anyone here beaten the 4th DLC Pushmo? Those fucking ducks.

EDIT: For those who might be stuck with it, play it from the Pushmo Studio. If you go to the online section of the game, the Pushmo is actually 100% bugged and can NOT be finished. You have to download it for it to work properly.

Top Bottom