• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Q&A w/ Peter Moore (How big is Halo 2?)

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/08/18/news_6105152.html

GS: Hmmm. Speaking of Halo 2, how many units will be at retail at launch?

PM: That will be determined by our retail partners, but the demand is huge. When I look at the numbers right now on a global scale and, in particular, in North America, there is no doubt in my mind that the first 24 hours of Halo 2 will be bigger than the first 24 hours of any movie at box office or music CD. They will pale in comparison. Halo 2 will be the biggest 24 hours in entertainment retail history. This is bigger than video games. It’s a pop culture phenomenon. The anticipation for the November 9 launch is huge. Our retail partners will have thousands of stores open at midnight, with hundreds of thousands of copies snatched up right there.

GS: How many units do you think will sell over the first 24 hours?

PM: I can’t say for the first day.

GS: At the end of the first month?

PM: It’ll be in the millions. Interestingly, the first Halo is still a top 10-selling game on the charts. But if I told you that I knew what Halo 2 will do, I’d be lying. Our retailers are really behind it.

Wulfer

Considering my old store is pushing 600 - 700 reserves (I'm not sure what the real number is and those numbers are 3 months old). You do the math....

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Id say GTA and halo are at about the same level of popularity judging by the amt of people i get asking about both games.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
MightyHedgehog said:
Because that's the stupidest thing I've ever heard. In one incredibly arrogant statement, he is disregarding landmark events in the entertainment world that Halo 2 will almost certainly fail to even come close to matching in national attention and anticipation, nevermind sheer numbers and profits. Star Wars: Episode 1? The PS2 launch? And those two are just off the top of my head within my own 20 year lifetime.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
human5892 said:
Because that's the stupidest thing I've ever heard. In one incredibly arrogant statement, he is disregarding landmark events in the entertainment world that Halo 2 will almost certainly fail to even come close to matching in national attention and anticipation, nevermind sheer numbers and profits. Star Wars: Episode 1? The PS2 launch? And those two are just off the top of my head within my own 20 year lifetime.

DC Launch > Star Wars Episode 1
and if Halo 2 pushes over 3 million in 1 day then it would be > PS2 launch :)

Hmm...well, what else is he going to say? He's doing his *gasp* job. Really, Halo 2 does have a legitimate shot at claiming whatever the biggest entertainment take-in has for a single day. Will it become the biggest 24 hours in entertainment retail? Dunno.

jedimike

human5892 said:

I've heard that they already have 1.5 million preorders... so $75,000,000 in 24 hours. I don't know if any movie or other retail offering has ever accomplished that.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
DopeyFish said:
DC Launch > Star Wars Episode 1
and if Halo 2 pushes over 3 million in 1 day then it would be > PS2 launch :)
Are you sure about that DC Launch figure? Is that profits or units (since obviously a movie ticket costs a lot less)? Whatever it is, though, Episode 1 was a much bigger event on a national scale, I think; I don't remember news articles or 10 O'Clock news items about the DC.

MightyHedgehog said:
Hmm...well, what else is he going to say? He's doing his *gasp* job.
Well, sure... but there's a difference between acceptable exaggerated PR claims and saying something as utterly absurd as "My product is going to be the biggest thing in the history of its entire industry." If you're going to go that far, you better be launching something incredibly high-profile, not a videogame.

human5892 said:
Well, sure... but there's a difference between acceptable exaggerated PR claims and saying something as utterly absurd as "My product is going to be the biggest thing in the history of its entire industry." If you're going to go that far, you better be launching something incredibly high-profile, not a videogame.

I'd like to know what you consider 'acceptable exaggeration'? And, really, video games can easily take on any form of entertainment at this point. They already are.

Solid

moore.jpg

human5892

Queen of Denmark
MightyHedgehog said:
I'd like to know what you consider 'acceptable exaggeration'? And, really, video games can easily take on any form of entertainment at this point. They already are.
Just saying that the launch would be enormous, or even "The biggest event in the videogame industry this fall" (even that would be a debatable statement with GTA coming up) would've sufficed, and at least would've had a better chance of being grounded in reality.

Also, I don't think a videogame coming out on a console that currently has less than ten million units sold in North America has a chance to rival highly-anticipated movie launches -- or even big TV events -- in terms of national attention and impact on the entertainment industry.

I think someones jelaous
I knew that would come up, but honestly, I like Halo, and I've no doubt that the sequel will sell extraordinarily well, and likely be a fun game to play, too. It's just the inherent arrogance in that statement -- which comes from an individual who has a history of making similar arrogant statements -- that irks me.

siamesedreamer said:
What did Matrix Reloaded do the first 24 hours?

I would have to say that was a "bigger" event than Episode I.

The highest opening day gross was for Spider-man 2 which did 40 million its first day. Reloaded did 37million.

Lukas

Banned
If Halo 2 does 3 million copies its first day (1.5 million preorders + 1.5 milllion in sales world wide) which is very possible, that would be 150 million dollars in profit, which I think is more than anything else has made in a single day.

DopeyFish

human5892 said:
Are you sure about that DC Launch figure? Is that profits or units (since obviously a movie ticket costs a lot less)? Whatever it is, though, Episode 1 was a much bigger event on a national scale, I think; I don't remember news articles or 10 O'Clock news items about the DC.

i remember something like $96m or something compared to SWE1's $94m iirc.

DopeyFish

SolidSnakex said:
The highest opening day gross was for Spider-man 2 which did 40 million its first day. Reloaded did 37million.

movie launches are guaged by first weekend, though.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
Lukas said:
If Halo 2 does 3 million copies its first day (1.5 million preorders + 1.5 milllion in sales world wide) which is very possible, that would be 150 million dollars in profit, which I think is more than anything else has made in a single day.
If you're going to be comparing to other entertainment events, you can't do a worldwide comparison, because most movies do not have a simultaneous worldwide launch. A fair comparison would be U.S. sales (unless you found a movie that fit the criteria, obviously).

i remember something like $96m or something compared to SWE1's $94m iirc.
Ah, well that explains it -- that's a hell of a lot more movie tickets than Dreamcasts sold.

DopeyFish said:
movie launches are guaged by first weekend, though.

Well if you want to go by that it'd be Spider-man 1 with a 114 million dollar opening weekend. But he said first day totals so I found those numbers for Spider-man 2's opening day total.

Lukas

Banned
human5892 said:
If you're going to be comparing to other entertainment events, you can't do a worldwide comparison, because most movies do not have a simultaneous worldwide launch. A fair comparison would be U.S. sales (unless you found a movie that fit the criteria, obviously).

Ah, well that explains it -- that's a hell of a lot more movie tickets than Dreamcasts sold.

Fine then lets say Halo 2 does 2 million its first day in NA which is entirely possible, thats still 100,000 million dollars in profit, in 24 hours, more than anything else that has made.

Lukas said:

That's just not going to happen. Lets be realistic here. Halo 2 will do very well, but it's not about to outstrip EVERYTHING in the entertainment industry.

pilonv1

human5892 said:

I'm sure MS would be happy for the people they are paying to say their products are only "pretty good" instead of trying to create some hype around them.

"You know this Halo 2 is pretty good. You can shoot stuff and it's got the Live that all the kidz love, and something about bees. Of course it's no GTA:SA, I'm going to get me a mad fade and bust shit up!"

Lukas

Banned
ManDudeChild said:
That's just not going to happen. Lets be realistic here. Halo 2 will do very well, but it's not about to outstrip EVERYTHING in the entertainment industry.

Like I said if it does 2 million its first day - which is entirely possible ( 1 million in preorders in NA alone + 1 million obessed Halo fans out of the 5 million buying it day 1) is 100 million dollars in total profit, more than anything else in entertainment I believe.

pilonv1 said:
I'm sure MS would be happy for the people they are paying to say their products are only "pretty good" instead of trying to create some hype around them.

"You know this Halo 2 is pretty good. You can shoot stuff and it's got the Live that all the kidz love, and something about bees. Of course it's no GTA:SA, I'm going to get me a mad fade and bust shit up!"

Well it seems to me that not everyone loves bees.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
pilonv1 said:
Explain to me how saying "The biggest event in the videogame industry this fall", which is what I suggested Moore should've said, is implying that Halo 2 is only "pretty good".

Fine then lets say Halo 2 does 2 million its first day in NA which is entirely possible, thats still 100,000 million dollars in profit, in 24 hours, more than anything else that has made.
A measure of profit is useless because a $50 videogame is not the same as a $9 movie ticket.

Lukas

Banned
Halo 2 is one of the most anticiapted things in Novemember anyhow. Lets look at the facts.

It was number 1 most anticipated game of 2004 on the Spike TV awards beating out popular PS2 games.

Its been number 1 for the last 2 years in EGM for top 10 games I am waiting for.

Its number 1 on console preorders at amazon.com, ebgames.com, and gamestop.com

In the EGM top 10 games of all time on MTV Halo 2 was the number 1 reason 2004 will rock, with games like GT4, MGS3, etc, etc, all coming in behind it.

On CNN it was reported to be the most anticipated game of all time. ON FREAKIN TV, they said this.

On MTVS "10 coolest gadgets of 2004" Halo 2 was actually mentioned as one of the things you "must own in 2004", infact, it was even the only game mentioned.

jedimike

On second thought, I'm not buying it. The Star Wars Trilogy that's being released on Sep. 21st will be King. At $45 a pop, it should sell over 10 million copies on opening day.

Lukas said:

Except for DQ7. Which also retails for about 20dollars more than your average US game I believe. DQ7 was a beast (it did around 3.57million in 2 weeks).

human5892

Queen of Denmark
Lukas said:
Halo 2 is one of the most anticiapted things in Novemember anyhow. Lets look at the facts.
Well, sure. That is not up for debate at all. It's just the claim that it's the biggest thing in entertainment EVER that is unreasonable.

pilonv1

human5892 said:
Explain to me how saying "The biggest event in the videogame industry this fall", which is what I suggested Moore should've said, is implying that Halo 2 is only "pretty good".

Taking things to extremes, obviously. Which is all Moore is doing. Some of you people get annoyed over the stupidest things.

ManDudeChild said:
Well it seems to me that not everyone loves bees.

Hmmm...with names like, MariOMFG and Nintaldo, can the transparency be made any more clear?
From a page linked to from that site.
'TendOMFG
If you read all the content on this awesome pink website you will hopefully understand what our purpose here on Earth has been: Nintendo.

Thursday, August 19, 2004
Another Try @ The Dark Side
So yesterday I'm sitting on the jon and a thought occuress to me after finishing, that i should try and pass that level in Halo. So I go over to my friend Gregs house, he's a crazy xbot man and try it out. First of all, let me give a shout out to Tommy and Bill, that shout out is, "I hate you liars". See it seems there was a hidden way to get across that cliff in Halo after all. This tree or whatever it was goes across the cliff. Whistle key, damn you both!

Anyway, so I get across the cliff and BAM, I'm assaulted by some of those spartan alien guys. But being a master gamer, I take care of them quickly enough. But yeah, skipping all the details and stuff, I've slightly changed my view on Halo. It's not GAYlo anymore, but it's still pretty bland. I still think Nintendo games have a +10 on Halo, but it is the best xbox game. Course that's not saying too much. So um ... yeah.

That aside, today I'm going through The Wind Waker again :) Anyone else planning on beating it for the 5th time like me?

posted by Nintaldo @ 5:05 AM 3 comments

Wednesday, August 18, 2004
August Facts (You can't dispute these, because they're facts)

Nintendo is the best
Sony is not the best
Microsoft is not the best
Having to eat vegetables sucks
Playing Nintendo all the time is good
Nintendo makes totally sweet games
August is make love to Gamecube month (remember it has four ports on the front, so it makes a great centerpiece for your next themed orgy)

posted by MariOMFG @ 10:11 AM 14 comments

Halo 2 Counter-Propaganda
So we all know about Micro$ofts brainwashing machine to hype up Halo 2, but never fear, it seems an anti-propaganda site has emerged to fight "the man" and his Gay master chef. I'm talking about the brand, spanking new blog of truth:

I HATE BEES
http://screwbees.blogspot.com/

Dishing up the hate on the two worst things, mean bees and mean Halo, the site takes out the facts, and using the Nintendo rapid response team of MariOMFG, takes it down a peg. A whole peg.

posted by Nintaldo @ 9:13 AM 5 comments

It's gotta be a joke site...

pilonv1 said:
Taking things to extremes, obviously. Which is all Moore is doing. Some of you people get annoyed over the stupidest things.

I don't really find it annoying at all since I expected it. HALO 2 is the biggest game MS is going to release on the Xbox, there's no way they're going to do anything but hype it in any way they can. Even if they know it's not going to be the biggest game this year, there's no way they're going to admit it.

PhatSaqs

Banned
human5892 said:
Well, sure. That is not up for debate at all. It's just the claim that it's the biggest thing in entertainment EVER that is unreasonable.

Did you put up a similar stink when Nintendo claimed that their next console will put up a "gaming revolution"?

Lukas said:

It was number 1 most anticipated game of 2004 on the Spike TV awards beating out popular PS2 games.

I stopped right there. See the thing is, you don't use the Spike TV awards in debates on videogames. It's just not right. Did you watch that show? It was wrong personified.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
PhatSaqs said:
Did you put up a similar stink when Nintendo claimed that their next console will put up a "gaming revolution"?
No, because I haven't seen it yet. I mean, for all we know, it really will; I'd say a new method of display or control, if effective enough, could actually revolutionize games. If Nintendo were to demonstrate the Revolution, and it was just another videogame console -- maybe one with a REVOLUTIONARY Pokemon slot built in to it -- and continued to claim it would cause a revolution, I would cry foul there, as well.

Lukas

Banned
ManDudeChild said:
I stopped right there. See the thing is, you don't use the Spike TV awards in debates on videogames. It's just not right. Did you watch that show? It was wrong personified.

but the people voted for the most anticipated games....so if the xbox userbase is so much smaller than the ps2 userbase, and yet Halo 2 won, that says a lot

Lukas

Banned
also I dont see what was that bad about the spike TV awards.

All the games that won had AAA scores. Hell KOTOR got 2 awards there, nuff said.

Lukas said:
but the people voted for the most anticipated games....so if the xbox userbase is so much smaller than the ps2 userbase, and yet Halo 2 won, that says a lot

So do you expect every single PS2 owner to vote? Alot of PS2 games lose in GameFaqs polls too, but guess what? They're still more popular in terms of sales than the games they lose too. Those small polls mean sh!t in the long run. A couple of thousand people, sometimes even just hundreds are polled.

PhatSaqs

Banned
No, because I haven't seen it yet. I mean, for all we know, it really will
But you refuse to take this same approach in regards to Moores 24 hour claim? It COULD happen. Seems unlikely, but it could.

Lukas

Banned
Also all the anticipated games were these - Halo 2, Fable, Doom 3, Half Life 2, GT4, MGS3

what exactly was wrong with the Spike TV awards other than it wasnt a huge crowd of geeks

wazoo

Lukas said:

No, it says that the Halo demographic care more on polls on spike TV than the ps2 demographic.

Top Bottom