• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Q.U.B.E |OT| Now on PC/Steam with demo. AWESOME PUZZLER.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
qubeuoo2f.png

Quick Understanding of Block Extrusion

DIRECTORS CUT OUT NOW

TRAILER
WTF is....: QUBE
GiantBomb Quick Look

Available now on Steam*
*Demo available
360 pad enabled
Steam Achievements

Also available on
Gamersgate -NO DRM-
Desura

LINKS and NEWS
Official Webpage
Q.U.B.E. Showcase UDK- UDK Website
Q.U.B.E. Recoups Investment Within 4 Days of Steam Release

GAME DESCRIPTION:
Set in a mysterious and abstract sterile environment, Q.U.B.E. (Quick Understanding of Block Extrusion) is a first-person puzzle game that challenges players to navigate each level by manipulating coloured cubes that surround them. There’s little to go on as the game begins - the player is dropped into an all-white room with few instructions, and simply has to figure their way out. The tone of game changes as the player finds small and big alterations to their environment, supported by an original score, inviting each player to let their imagination take over as to where they might be. Through experimentation and discovery, players will progress through an ever-evolving series of cube puzzles that will challenge them with logic, physics, platforming.

Click and hold to enlarge or open in new tab to view @1080p

System Requirements
Processor:2.0+ GHz (dual core recommended)
Memory:1 GB RAM
Graphics:NVIDIA 8000 series or higher (Shader Model 3 Compatible)
DirectX®:dx90c
Hard Drive:1 GB HD space

CUSTOM RESOLUTION HELP
Steam\steamapps\common\qube\UDKGame\Config\UDKEngine.ini

ctrl-f "ResX=", "ResY="

Replace numbers with any resolution.

Note on graphics, force vsync and custom AA via RadeonPro or Inspector.

Midou

Played the demo, pretty awesome. Feels like some mix of Mirror's edge visually (in cleanliness) and Portal (in other ways).

I may not grab full version now, simply because my backlog is so huge, but I will definitely get it in the future.

Gileadxv

Banned
I just tried the demo, and it was interesting. The v-sync was a bit annoying (I didn't notice the comment about forcing it until after I finished). The minimalist approach seemed to work for the demo. I might pick it up in the next Steam sale.

Dang, that one there slipped under the radar. Don't know if a mod wants to merge the threads or not. I do think this one has more info so I will tidy it up and if it sticks, it sticks.

Merging would probably make more sense. Your OP is definitely better. Just wanted to make sure those posts weren't forgotten.

LiquidMetal14

dude named liquidmetal14 was playing the demo earlier on my steam friendlist

My brother just seen it and offered to buy it for me. I just pointed him towards the OP and he liked it a lot too.

Just as I type this, he got it on GG.

Try the demo people! It's pretty fun. I can see how the puzzles will get more crazy/complex as they stack elements (somewhat seen in the trailer, too). Visual aesthetic is great, even if it looks shamelessly like Portal 1 =P. I'll probably get this sometime soon, just hope it's not like an hour long.

LiquidMetal14

Brother bought it. Just added it to my non Steam games list. Will try and take some more screens as I see the new locations.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
Always wanted, never bought for PS1:

Intelligent_Qube.jpg

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I picked it up on a complete random whim and it's pretty damn cool.

Could use a bit more personality though, the sterile Portal environments were given energy by GLADOS's constant taunting. There isn't really anything here beyond a mildly inoffensive ambient track and lots of white rooms.

The puzzle design has been quite good so far though and the curve of slowly introducing new elements and then iterating on those elements has been excellent as well.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I'm actually downloading atm. It seems pretty promising. Obviously inspired by Portal and obviously lacking in presentation, story, charm, compared to that, but it also looks very profesionally done and the puzzles are of course going to be completely different since they don't use Portal mechanics... And I don't think the indie fund would fund shit either. Can't wait to play.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Played through to Sector 5 and am really enjoying it so far. Love the style and the puzzles have gotten just tricky enough that I'm not just running through it.

Shtof

Saw the screens in screenshots thread and got interested because of Mirror's Edge likeness. Gonna download demo and try it out. Hope its not like Portal, which I don't like.

LiquidMetal14

qube2012-01-0621-27-0571qw.png

qube2012-01-0621-29-5mm5g9.png

Saw the screens in screenshots thread and got interested because of Mirror's Edge likeness. Gonna download demo and try it out. Hope its not like Portal, which I don't like.

It's like Portal in the sense of it being a puzzle game but other than that, it's very unique in the things it does. The areas the open up also throw in some really cool and different twists. All the colors do something else whether it's blue being a jump square, red being a 3 level rising square, or yellow being a unique 3 square long interchangeable sort of jigsaw. Shortly after the demo area you are introduced to rotating green buttons and orange "reload" buttons for the new ball based puzzles. Really fun to do. I'm teasing at the ideas the game presents because it only gets better after you beat that first area and then the demo ends. If you think it gets better then you would be absolutely right.

I picked it up on a complete random whim and it's pretty damn cool.

Could use a bit more personality though, the sterile Portal environments were given energy by GLADOS's constant taunting. There isn't really anything here beyond a mildly inoffensive ambient track and lots of white rooms.

The puzzle design has been quite good so far though and the curve of slowly introducing new elements and then iterating on those elements has been excellent as well.

Agreed and the best thing you could do is just bump some music in winamp or listen to some IheartRadio or anything. It flows fine but definitely is also a good relaxing game. This hits me with the good Portal vibe in the way the puzzles and mechanics work too.

Whether or not you like Portal, don't let that deter you from trying the demo. I don't even like the comparison since other than puzzles, the differences are wide.

John

Screenshots look excellent, it's like a cross between Portal and Mirror's Edge

edit: not the only one with that impression I see

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Is there a way to get this to run in 1280x720?

Want to play on my TV. They have the 360 controller covered, but not the most standard 16:9 resolution?

Weird.

LiquidMetal14

Is this Steamworks or just Steam achievements?

It's listed on the Steamworks list of games but last I read in a separate thread (on another forum, maybe their official forum) that they were looking for someone to help them do that. It may become Steamworks in the future if all goes well.

Salacious Crumb

Added to my wishlist for now. I just have too many great games that I haven't even touched yet to buy another one right now, but this game looks great, will definitely buy in the future.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Well, looks like I beat the game (or, saw the ending and sat through the credits). It took my about 4 hours to do, so decide if that is worth the $12 for you. For me, it was just about the perfect length. I want more, but it's only because I really, really enjoyed it.

It didn't unlock the associated achievements, though. I checked the developer's Facebook page and they are apparently aware of the problem. I just wonder if I actually missed some of the achievements or if they just didn't trigger.

Kritz

Banned
Yeah, just finished it in about three hours. Like, these comments are going to be super common, but booooy was that very similar to Portal 2.

Actual game spoilers:
I'm in space. Spaaaaaaace. (FILLER TEXT TO MAKE SPOILER LONGER SO PEOPLE CAN'T SOMEHOW GUESS WHAT'S IN THE SPOILER)

I thought it was well worth the price. The puzzles were great, with the exception of the sloped ball puzzles. The early stuff is pretty darn easy, but it gets into mind bendy stuff later on. The ending is really abrupt and you kinda feel like they ran out of time or money to make those
extra two levels

The darkened areas were pretty dodgy too, although the colour pallet change was appreciated.

If you don't mind playing a game that is very much Portal 2 without characters, you should have fun. If you're likely to dislike it because it "steals" ideas and themes and levels and plot points and some puzzle ideas and... etc, you could probably skip it.

Good way to start off 2012, at the least.

EDIT: If you want literally the entire game ruined for you, here is my archived stream of it from start to finish. (No commentary)

Oh, also. I've completed the entire game, but five achievements look to be broken (as it's impossible to beat the game without getting every achievement by the looks of the descriptions)

Aucool

I've received a review copy and i started yesterday to play it, the game is pretty cool and puzzles ar smart like portal ones but i think that very short. I've played for an hour and I've completed the first three chapter on a total of eight (+ the tutorial) and i'm playing the fourth.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
The game might be good but I bought too much games these holidays. So NO, will wait for Christmas sale.

LiquidMetal14

I thought it was well worth the price. The puzzles were great, with the exception of the sloped ball puzzles. The early stuff is pretty darn easy, but it gets into mind bendy stuff later on.
The darkened areas were pretty dodgy too, although the colour pallet change was appreciated.

If you don't mind playing a game that is very much Portal 2 without characters
Good way to start off 2012, at the least

I'm going to categorize the opinion on the ball and dark puzzles as just that because they are a good twist on things and very clever. As for the Portal 2 comparison, the similarities end with the 1st person and puzzle mechanic.e This is nothing like Portal other than that. You could argue the art is somewhat the same but Portal is much more open and the Portal mechanic is what makes that game.

Back to the ball puzzles, I like the last one I did in sector 5 or 6. You have to combine the colors to make pink or other colors while rotating the hall.

The dark ones I've done have been cool and yet another neat twist thrown at you. There's been no hassle with the dark ones either. I actually enjoyed the change of pace.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Sorry, but after the Demo i'm gonna pass. Tearing and stuttering with those graphics (on ATI), pretty boring audio, no hint at a remotely interesting Storyline apart from "Look, I'm like Portal", slightly annoying controls (why can't I just fucking HOLD the mouse button instead of clicking like an idiot to move that thing), "puzzles" not to speak of, and the general feel of it being a ripoff of something far better.

I may be a bit harsh here, but hey, the demo is supposed to show me the cool things of a game, right?

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Dark rooms are annoying :[

Rest of it is great.

@Bufbaf, if you wanted a story why even try it? I don't think they claim they have one anywhere. It's a puzzle game.

No graphical issues here (Nvidia).

LiquidMetal14

READ THE OP TOO

You have to force good aa and VSYNC. As I said earlier, the audio is deliberate and this is not a big AAA game. It's an indie game. There is something as you progress but the demo leaves you wanting more. It gets much better after the demo ends. I would suggest just bumping something if you want but as I said, you will have to get further to know what I mean on the music. And as for story, don't even know why this is an issue. I don't know what any trailer or screenshot has depicted to create that expectation.

6970 here, no screen tearing and my screens on this page speak for themselves.

No 1600p support.
1325941277-clip-3kb.jpg
I looked in the ini's and they are extensive and full of jargon. Couldn't find anything but there's a folder in there with at least 5 filed to configure various things. You can look deeper and maybe find something for resolution.

Top Bottom