• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quake

Wildebeest

Are people really saying that something as primitive as Quake could actually look better than a glorious xbox 360 title? Everyone knows the 360 is the absolute, insurmountable peak of video game.

lW8BAL2.jpeg

Goalus

QuakeCon 2024 is just weeks away and we can obviously expect to see more of Doom: The Dark Ages, but no doubt in some corners people will once again ask; ‘when Quake tho?’.
Speaking about Quakecon, I am hoping for something Heretic/Hexen-related. Porting the original games to consoles like Doom 1/2/3 and Quake 1/2 would be a start.

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
I think one of the reasons you see something like a Quake map today and it still looks good, even though it's low poly and boxy looking compared to modern games, is the lack of stupid post processing effects.

There is no motion blur, no bloom, no vignette, no piss filter, no auto exposure, no chromatic aberration, no upscaling or TAA artifacts, etc. Just sharp, clean objects and textures.

We used to have that in the old days but nowadays it can be combined with very high resolutions and very fast frame rates.

So yeah, you lose detail and realism but you have a clean, sharp looking game that doesn't hurt your eyes and runs faster and smoother than anything else.
This is certainly true, but i'd like to stress that tooling also has played a huge part in this. Back in the day, LIGHT.EXE was slow as molasses on a Pentium to calculate lighting and didn't have anything current iterations (Through Eric-WTools) have, with radiosity, multiple bounces, etc. Same goes for the level editors.

Ironically light baking still takes time, but its a lot quicker now.

The modern Doom fantasy maps look like Unreal 2003/4 to me. I really hate that style.

This QuakeCon should celebrate Doom 3. It's the 20th anniversary! Hell in that game was closer to Quake 1 than any environment in the new ones.

Apocryphon

The sound of the bouncing grenade is forever burned into my skull.
Right!? The sound of an Ogres weird piggy roar, the grenade bouncing, the raspy exhale of the Scrags, being able to tell that a Vore is just around the corner, the sound of the elevator platforms, the noise possessed human grunts and Enforcers make when they die, the sounds of Quad Damage and the Super Nailgun…

I like the sound design in the game. That it doesn’t have a traditional soundtrack helps.
Speaking about Quakecon, I am hoping for something Heretic/Hexen-related. Porting the original games to consoles like Doom 1/2/3 and Quake 1/2 would be a start.
I think we get remasters from Nightdive at some point along with Hexen II. I’m in for Heretic and Hexen II but as much as I loved the first Hexen at the time, some of the switch hunting is just tedious. Hopefully we get Heretic and Hexen as a single package.

If they could make both game look like Hexen HD I would pay $40 for them:

Doczu

I did my part and bought the remasters of 1 and 2 the moment they went live on PSN. I still hoped ID would drop a new Quake instead of Doom, especially with Doom being hardcore medieval now. Kinda insulting for Q1 fans 😐

Last edited:

Goalus

I think we get remasters from Nightdive at some point along with Hexen II. I’m in for Heretic and Hexen II but as much as I loved the first Hexen at the time, some of the switch hunting is just tedious. Hopefully we get Heretic and Hexen as a single package.

If they could make both game look like Hexen HD I would pay $40 for them:

If I am being honest, I would like to have these games in their original presentation, just like Doom 1/2 (which look gorgeous on a 75" TV). I don't like the shiny/wet look of the unofficial remasters at all.

Also, I don't want them to be a single package. Heretic - Shadow of the Serpent Riders is huge in itself, as is Hexen + Dark Citadel expansion. I hope they don't leave out Heretic 2.

Phobos Base

Right!? The sound of an Ogres weird piggy roar, the grenade bouncing, the raspy exhale of the Scrags, being able to tell that a Vore is just around the corner, the sound of the elevator platforms, the noise possessed human grunts and Enforcers make when they die, the sounds of Quad Damage and the Super Nailgun…

I like the sound design in the game. That it doesn’t have a traditional soundtrack helps.

Or my other favourite, the gargling gib sound. I always thought Scourge of Armagon had a great, more traditional metal soundtrack as well.

I actually appreciate Quake more now than when it came out even. I was addicted to the Remaster release.

It wasn't the intent but the low poly visuals, brilliant soundtrack and disembodied, weird sound effects on enemies particularly make the game feel like some abstract surreal painting of hell. The later levels especially get really claustrophobic and some of the Reznor tracks are downright evil imo.

This track especially does it for me. That pulsating sound is filthy.

Last edited:

Rambotito

I feel sorry for you young guys who never played 2fort4 or Well6 for 5 hours a night back in 1997. You didn't play to unlock a new skin. You didn't play to unlock some ability in a skill tree. You didn't play to unlock a new weapon. You played because every damn minute was fun as hell.

Nothing can beat Quake for me, but that’s pure nostalgia. My first online multiplayer experience and the single player felt like the first true horror fps.

Whatever they do with the franchise next will always be a disappointment probably.

Also fuck the strogg. :)

Laptop1991

I played Quake 1 and 2 to death back then, great games, Quake 4 while being an ok game didn't help Quake in the long run like the later Doom games did for Doom, i would love a well made new one though.

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
I grew up with Doom maps, but i have to say, the best Quake maps are playable artworks.

It is interesting seeing how both communities grew up. Whereas the Doom community is usually laying down on full blown 32 level megawads, Quake mappers tend to go for episodes or even singular maps, Arcane Dimensions being a real outlier with its massive campaign of maps.

Love them both. I like to believe that these communities will never perish, the versatility of the Doom and Quake engines is just unmatched by today's standards.

It looks functionally closer to Painkillers Stake Gun or Rages Rebar ammo that’ll it does to any version of the Nailgun we have seen in Quake.
Quake was revolutionary for its engine at the time, but a nailgun that nails enemies to a wall is the nail gun I’ve always dreamt of. To each their own, I suppose.

Apocryphon

Quake was revolutionary for its engine at the time, but a nailgun that nails enemies to a wall is the nail gun I’ve always dreamt of. To each their own, I suppose.
I mean.. the nailgun and super nailgun were really just machine guns. The nails were tiny.. same as those in Quake 4. I understand the desire though. The rebar ammo for the nailgun in the Rage DLC was a shitload of fun and the Penetrator in FEAR was the games best weapon. The Penetrator and the Stakegun in Painkiller are closer to the weapon we have seen in the Dark Ages trailer.

Maybe they will call it a nailgun but even if they do it’s functionally different to the weapons seen in the Quake, Quake 4, and Quake Champions (the Enemy Territory weapon was more of a shotgun). Unless.. they do what they did with Rage and allow for different ammo types/functionality which could be cool. They already set that precedent with Rage and the Combat Shotgun in the new Doom games has a secondary fire that uses the same ammo pool as the primary fire but has a different projectile.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
We need a Heretic 2 remaster
I remember my older brother being disappointed with this one not being an FPS, but man did I love playing through it. Sort of reminds me of Jedi Outcast, with the third person melee and all the magic attacks.

Did the rights to the game get lost or something? For me, a GOG release that runs easily on modern systems would be enough, although a remaster would be nice too ofc. Wonder if Nightdive might have this one on their plans, I would be all in for it.

Guilty_AI

Did the rights to the game get lost or something? For me, a GOG release that runs easily on modern systems would be enough, although a remaster would be nice too ofc. Wonder if Nightdive might have this one on their plans, I would be all in for it.
Yeah i remember there was some issue with the rights of the game partially belonging to activision or something. Who knows, now with everyone under MS it could happen, possibly, mayhaps.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
I played tons of Quake and Quake 2 back in the day when we did LAN parties but I never played teh campaign.

I recently played through the original Quake campaign. I wanted to play a bit more, what are the recommended official, semi official, or fan made campaigns which are worth to give a shot?

Wildebeest

I played tons of Quake and Quake 2 back in the day when we did LAN parties but I never played teh campaign.

I recently played through the original Quake campaign. I wanted to play a bit more, what are the recommended official, semi official, or fan made campaigns which are worth to give a shot?
Arcane Dimensions mod. In the Quake enhanced edition, there is a new official Dimension of the Machine campaign by MachineGames.

People that are so in love with the new Doom trilogy they don't even want a new Quake anymore are considered traitors in my book and need to be brought before the id tribunal.

Last edited:
Top Bottom