• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quantum Break |OT| We'll Be Right Back After This Commercial Break

Graphics are so good I honestly keep thinking that it has switched to the show when a cutscene starts.
Haha! Yeah, I was tripped up more than a few times.

I'm playing through QB again and Holy ShamWow! I'm having just as much with the combat as the first time. I've done this with Remedy's previous games and, to me, that's a testament to how they've nailed gunplay, and gameplay, without fail.

VRMN

What to hell am I supposed to do when he says
you're the one that hurts the most
??

In the final fight.

Kill the mooks. (Your objective will change when you kill the last one.) Run from the insta-death explosion. Shoot the boss on top of the machine. (Objective will change back.) Kill the mooks. (Objective will change back again.) Run from the insta-death explosions. Shoot the boss on top of the machine. Watch final cutscene.

So you have visual tells via objective and then I think Jack will say something about the shield being down when you can shoot the boss too.

Kill the mooks. (Your objective will change when you kill the last one.) Run from the insta-death explosion. Shoot the boss on top of the machine. (Objective will change back.) Kill the mooks. (Objective will change back again.) Run from the insta-death explosions. Shoot the boss on top of the machine. Watch final cutscene.

So you have visual tells via objective and then I think Jack will say something about the shield being down when you can shoot the boss too.

I did all that but there seems to be waves of explosions after the second mook wave. Am I doing it wrong? Maybe there are multiple and I need to keep moving until I shoot boss a second time.

VRMN

I did all that but there seems to be waves of explosions after the second mook wave. Am I doing it wrong? Maybe there are multiple and I need to keep moving until I shoot boss a second time.

There are three explosions. The boss will target where you are when the explosion ends. I used the dodge three times in a row for the first, then the full on run, then the dodge (which had recharged) for the third.

There are three explosions. The boss will target where you are when the explosion ends. I used the dodge three times in a row for the first, then the full on run, then the dodge (which had recharged) for the third.
You don't even need to Time Dodge. Simply running during the red bomb and big blast phases work. And I did this tactic in Hard.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Still better at the game than Jeff

/s

I love Jeff, but how bad was he at this game to be saying that it becomes a standard cover shooter further on. Never at any point is it wise to play this game that way, even with the shitty controls.

Aegryan

Neo Member
I'm right with you. I want to see the way the story flows if I take the opposite junction points.

It was great, but it's really annoying that you can only have a single active playthrough at any one time.

Is deleting my progress really necessary? Wouldn't a menu allowing you to access the collectibles and episodes that you've unlocked been 100% better?

Montresor

I've finished Act 2 and I'm absolutely loving this game. Here is what I think the game does right so far:

1) World-building:

1.a) The references to Alan Wake are
not just to excite/intrigue/satisfy fans of the original game for fanservice's sake - in this game's universe, Alan Wake is a real character and he is a famous writer. Burke's wife is a fan and even has an autographed copy of Alan Wake's latest book. That's wonderful to think about - so while Wilder, Burke, Serene, and the Joyce brothers are dealing with all the earth-shattering implications of time travel and the possible end of the world, we know that in some corner of the US Pacific Northwest, in this same universe, Alan Wake went through a supernatural ordeal fighting off Mr. Scratch, Barbara Jagger ,etc...

1.b) I appreciate the attention to detail in general very much, with both the architecture and environments (with respect to graffiti, clutter on office desks, etc...) but also with respect to the posters, emails, videos, transcripts, etc... that you can find and read. It's nice that these are optional, and I like the way they supplement the story and provide backstory on many of the characters.

2) Sci-fi story: Reminds me of Fringe very much, in a good way. I'm excited to see exactly how the story unfolds, but so far I'm really intrigued by these plot points:
The importance of dates like 1999, 2010, and 2016, to see exactly how the Time Fracture unfolded. How does it make sense for Paul Serene to have founded the company in 1999 and yet look only 30 years old in the year 2016. I'm stoked to learn more about the Lifeboat Protocol and the End Of Time. And also the mechanics behind the time travel machine itself - I found it fascinating reading William Joyce's notes at the end of Act 2 regarding the rules behind QB's time machine. I.E. I loved the idea that a) The way the time machine is constructed makes it completely impossible to travel at any point in the past beyond 1999 (so you can't travel to WW2 or to the dinosaur era), and b) The concept of requiring the time machine to be active at your destination - meaning if you wanted to travel to the year 2030, the time machine has to physically be there in 2030, active and in tact and powered on, else you can't exit the time machine at your desired destination

3) Game play: I love the slow-motion game play - it's like a sci-fi take on Max Payne's game play, but with much more slick and gorgeous visual style. It is so satisfying to push LB to time dodge and then hold LT to line up a headshot, or to activate a shield to take a breather or stack bullets into a Time Stop field. I love the way the camera zooms in on the final enemy you've killed in a room (like in Max Payne 3), and I love the visual flair. Everything that you do in this game looks beautiful - the graphical effects are great. I want to pull off the time powers not just to kill the enemies in the game but simply to enjoy the eye candy and take in the visual splendour afforded by the time fractures, stutters, explosions, etc...

I've also liked the television show but I wouldn't call it a great television show. To me a great television show is The Wire, Breaking Bad, Justified, The Sopranos, The Shield, Orange Is The New Black, Sense8, etc... I'm not not going to go to IMDB and rate Quantum Break anywhere near those television shows that I love. But at the same time, I liked it and I feel like it's a nice reward after completing an act. You can sit back, relax, and enjoy an episode of the QB show, shaped by your actual decisions in-game. Watching the first episode of the show helped enrich world-building material that showed up in Act 2. For example, I know what Fiona and Wincott are like thanks to the first episode, and so I came equipped with some understanding of their character before reading their emails in Act 2.

I just appreciate live action stuff in general with Remedy games, whether it's with their television show or with in-game easter eggs. Live action greatly enriched the experience for me in both Alan Wake and the American Nightmare follow-up.

After all the talk of Act 4 I was expecting something amazing. I guess I hyped myself too much.

Sure it had cool set pieces and shooting galleries, but it wasn't breathtaking. I guess the twists and turns in the plot were interesting.

Solid game so far though.

Just finally finished Act 3. The tension is building up! Love everything and the choices it provides you during the junctions.

Not reading anything you guys are posting because I feel like i'll come across some spoilers in the following acts.

There're only two Time Knife scripts, correct?
One in
Act 3 Part 2
and the other in
Act 2 Part 2 along with some extract video/follow up e-mail in act 5.

You don't even need to Time Dodge. Simply running during the red bomb and big blast phases work. And I did this tactic in Hard.
I just constantly ran around the pool/machine in a big circle the entire fight. Killed homeboys while I ran by and outran his blasts at the same time.

I finished it this morning and already started a 2nd game on Hard. I think it's actually more fun on this difficulty because it forces you to use your time powers wisely.

Hawk269

Graphics are so good I honestly keep thinking that it has switched to the show when a cutscene starts.

I agree. Visually it is pretty amazing. Yeah there is some blurriness to the game and some areas don't look as good, but as a whole package, it is amazing. The amount of detail is what blows me away. Like some others have said, this must be the best 720p I have ever seen as at times (many times) it does not seem like it is 720p. I think the production valley across the board is great. I know that there are little things here or there that could of been better, but with the fractures, time stops and all those effects going off in real time is simple breathtaking.

Like many of you, I want to start a replay as soon as I am done. I am in Act 5, Part 1 so I am near the end and I want to start over again. Been taking my time, playing on hard and just loving the entire package. A co-worker said he chose different things and we only spoke of things after Act 1 and it sounds like this is some pretty significant changes based on your choices. I really hope we get the PC codes soon for those that pre-ordered as I wanted to do a second play through on the PC and then see where I do another play through. If not, I will do my second one on the Xbox One...this may give Remedy more time to fix the PC version.

Just finished the game a couple minutes ago. I really liked it but the last fight was a bit of a disappointment. While I thought all the live-action episodes looked like they were ripped straight from a Syfy series they were done well. Well worth my $60 for the enjoyment I got out of it.

etta

my hard graphic balls
After all the talk of Act 4 I was expecting something amazing. I guess I hyped myself too much.

Sure it had cool set pieces and shooting galleries, but it wasn't breathtaking. I guess the twists and turns in the plot were interesting.

Solid game so far though.
Errr, for me Act IV was huge because of the story. The journals and all the emails and seeing what happened to Beth. The whole time travel element was displayed and explained in exquisite detail, felt like a Nolan movie.

Damn, this game needs a sequel, STAT! Pretty impressive story. Gunplay was fun, tv episodes were merely ok. Lance Reddick was awesome. Can't believe I got the feels for Charlie and Beth. Fantastic. Going to redo in Hard mode tomorrow.

Trup1aya

Second playthrough with mostly upgraded powers, and the game flows MUCH better than my first time around. (Which says a lot because it felt good to begind with). I spent much less time worry about the hud, and more time feeling godlike.

I guess I shoulda spent more time looking for the chronon deposits... But I gotta question linking the upgrade system exlusively to hidden items.

I love Jeff, but how bad was he at this game to be saying that it becomes a standard cover shooter further on. Never at any point is it wise to play this game that way, even with the shitty controls.
I just finished it and I share your opinion, minus the love Jeff thing. He's not my favorite and after finishing this, I can't fathom a 4/10. I find it utterly ridiculous. The effects alone are worth 6/10. I thought the story was great. The gameplay was really good, and the overall flow was well done.

Second play-through when my PC code comes. I want to play it again now though.

In my opinion what Remedy has accomplished with this game is damn revolutionary. It's as amazing a game as they've ever made. In fact, it's their best. But the way they've managed to handle the story and characters and overall game with such perfect harmony with a live action TV show, without it seeming out of place and with it feeling so completely natural, is quite the achievement.

I'm in love with this game. I'm definitely going to be playing this one more than one multiple times. It's just way too damn good. The action gets so deliciously crazy and fun. God damn, I love Remedy. And I have to also add. Jeff (forgot his last name) is just fucking insane. His review is laughable in light of how good this game is, and I appear to be approaching the finish line now from the appearance of things.

After being burned starting a new game on Hard and losing all my collectibles and upgrades I started my Hard play through this morning and ploughed though the whole game today.

Credits are rolling right now!

Got 100% and almost all achivements. I have 2 secret ones that are locked and I have no idea wtf I need to do to get them. I chose the opposite decisions (I kept track of which ones I chose the first time).

Anyone else get stuck like this? So lame.

After being burned starting a new game on Hard and losing all my collectibles and upgrades I started my Hard play through this morning and ploughed though the whole game today.

Credits are rolling right now!

Got 100% and almost all achivements. I have 2 secret ones that are locked and I have no idea wtf I need to do to get them. I chose the opposite decisions (I kept track of which ones I chose the first time).

Anyone else get stuck like this? So lame.

All secret achievements are choice related, so just unlock all 8 choices you are good to go.

ViciousDS

Banned
How do you start a new playthrough akin to new game plus?

go to timeline....don't hit new game and go to the very first act and part. When you hit start it will ask what difficulty. That;s how I did my hard mode run with everything unlocked. Btw making new choices will cause you to go from 100% to missing stuff again as certain characters get replaced and new intel gets placed within the world. The only thing that does not change are quantum points it seems and the chronon points. So you can always remain 100% upgraded and bad ass.

But I did. Like I said I tracked my 4 choices from the first play through and did the opposite ones on my play through on hard.

Makes no sense.

add me on xbox, I'll tell you which two your missing

ZynTheSin

etta

my hard graphic balls
are we getting any dlc for this amazing game?
Maybe Act VI
, Jack goes back for Beth :'O
go to timeline....don't hit new game plus and go to the very first act and part. When you hit start it will ask what difficulty. That;s how I did my hard mode run with everything unlocked. Btw making new choices will cause you to go from 100% to missing stuff again as certain characters get replaced and new intel gets placed within the world. The only thing that does not change are quantum points it seems and the chronon points. So you can always remain 100% upgraded and bad ass.

add me on xbox, I'll tell you which two your missing

ZynTheSin
Sweet, thanks.

In my opinion what Remedy has accomplished with this game is damn revolutionary. It's as amazing a game as they've ever made. In fact, it's their best. But the way they've managed to handle the story and characters and overall game with such perfect harmony with a live action TV show, without it seeming out of place and with it feeling so completely natural, is quite the achievement.

I'm in love with this game. I'm definitely going to be playing this one more than one multiple times. It's just way too damn good. The action gets so deliciously crazy and fun. God damn, I love Remedy. And I have to also add. Jeff (forgot his last name) is just fucking insane. His review is laughable in light of how good this game is, and I appear to be approaching the finish line now from the appearance of things.

Why do people act as if Jeff is the only one that gave this game that score? or a bad score in general? There were a few others that echoes his complaints. There are very valid criticisms you can levy against this game.

I wish I shared your opinion on the game, honestly. But after finishing it it just left me feeling empty, like shrugged my shoulders and said that was decent. Every other remedy game I've played has left some sort of impact after I was done, this didn't at all. If this was made by some other developer I would be less disappointed. Nowhere near revolutionary, and the TV show implementation is just weird. They couldn't really handle it any other way though.

Montresor

Other things I've liked very much:

1) Music played at the end of Act 2 was incredible. I put the controller down and listened to the entire song.

2) I laughed hysterically at the fictional movie script in Act 2... I'm reading that there are more? Can't wait for that.

3) The junctions are a very nice surprise. I'm glad none of the trailers or previews gave away the nature of these junction sequences, primarily how you
play as a different character than Jack Joyce

4) The collectible tracking is top notch. Tracking lets you know what you've missed and you can reread and rewatch any collectible from the main menu!

Some minor criticisms: I'm reading way too many people fucking up their save file choosing New Game. That's a design flaw. People want to do second playthroughs on Hard, not wipe away their collectible process. Oh and (major criticism actually) - fix the damn PC release please. MS should have delayed the game on PC if it wasn't ready.

0racle

I just beat it and I am still taking it all in.......

All in all it was good, was it a good videogame? I would say...no? was it a good experience? absolutely. Entertainment evolves and new experiences are a direct result of that and this was excellent because of that. If you where to dissect it and critic individual assets its a very flawed game, but the package as a whole more than makes up for it. I went in 100% blind besides the initial reveal and overall I am happy.

Just beat the game. Unless you guys were playing in hard I don't see what was so hard about that boss fight. I found it enjoyable enough.

Act 5 was for me actually a better act than 4. I was expecting the the 'twist' since the beginning since shit like that doesn't happen on time travel stories without meaning.

Very enjoyable game. The shooting was solid, I find it funny I kept the tactical rifle from the snipers like since I found one throughout the whole game, I'd never opt for a shotgun again.

The sequel bait was a bit too much but I guess my confusion now stems on how and why did Monarch
capture Jack for questioning at the end

edit: wait nvm after credits lol

at that point there was little reason. I'd give the game a solid 7.5/10. I think Alan Wake is a more promising series, but this has better gameplay I guess.

def sim

I finished this earlier today. I liked it, the gameplay gave me a good sense of power and I found the story intriguing enough. I get the point of the live action episodes, but they were the weakest parts for me. I didn't find some of the relationships presented there very convincing. Other than that, I really wish Paul Serene wore a belt with his suit. Get it together, man. ;)

Relative to other Remedy games, this has the best gameplay, but maybe the weakest story? I'd have to replay through Max Payne again to be sure.

But I did. Like I said I tracked my 4 choices from the first play through and did the opposite ones on my play through on hard.

Makes no sense.

There should be another one for sitting down listening to Paul's briefing on Chronon tech at the beginning of the game, not sure what else is left if you got all the choices.

I finished this earlier today. I liked it, the gameplay gave me a good sense of power and I found the story intriguing enough. I get the point of the live action episodes, but they were the weakest parts for me. I didn't find some of the relationships presented there very convincing. Other than that, I really wish Paul Serene wore a belt with his suit. Get it together, man. ;)

Relative to other Remedy games, this has the best gameplay, but maybe the weakest story? I'd have to replay through Max Payne again to be sure.

For sure the tv episodes were a cool experiment, but ultimately for me they failed. Their only use was to introduce characters who would eventually
play a part into your breaking of Monarch
but ultimately they didn't do anything or introduce characters that couldn't have been introduced differently in the game itself.

ViciousDS

Banned
We need DLC stat.....beatug the game again today makes me hunger for more. This is one of those story games where I could play a few times through and still find details I missed before and just take in all the hints that they threw at you without knowing.

Also

Cut loose like an animal
Fired out like a cannon ball
But I waited too long
Yeah, I waited too long
Got high from a holy vein
Crashed down in a hurricane
Love has been here and gone
Love has been here and gone

Perfect choice on that one

Opinions...how do they work? Lots of other people were lukewarm on the game. They could just as easily say your opinion is "laughable".

Sioul

I know that new game deletes my collectibles/timeline but what happen with my save if I replay a junction and pick a different choice?

Top Bottom