• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quantum Break |OT| We'll Be Right Back After This Commercial Break

TheKeyPit

Banned
That's amazing... I never would have though of trying this!

You can do it with 3 time stops, but that gif would've been a little bit longer and bigger.

Wait...you can redirect projectiles like that? Mind blown.

Thing is, per time stop, the bullets move a bit down from their original entry point.

Edit:
I haven't tried it on enemies yet, but there is the possibility that this could up the damage per time stop.

Gestault

giphy.gif

That train event is up there as one of the best-looking moment I've seen this gen.

You can do it with 3 time stops, but that gif would've been a little bit longer and bigger.

Thing is, per time stop, the bullets move a bit down from their original entry point.

Edit:
I haven't tried it on enemies yet, but there is the possibility that this could up the damage per time stop.

Also, as a fun trick, time stop doesn't freeze Strikers and other chronon harness packing enemies, and it dissipates when you hit them, BUT, you have just enough time before it dissipates to fires shots and still get the stack bonus. Your window is just much smaller. :)

Also, time stopping an explosion as it happens never gets old so you can watch the debris fly in slow motion.

I have to say that I thoroughly enjoyed the game from start to finish. I played up to Act 5 Chapter 2 on Xbox, then my PC code arrived this evening. So I finished the game on PC, it was so much easier, with the (sometimes) higher frame rate Jack seemed to do what I wanted more often.

Loved it, great story and action. The gun play just feels so right really. I hope for a sequel, after the Alan Wake sequel :)

KingV

Man, I'm right with all the complaints on the last boss. It's hair poorly designed. I have had several "bad" deaths.

That said, it convinced me to refund Dark Souls 3 on steam when I was like "oh, wait, I forgot that I hate to repeat sections of a game over and over again" :-D

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
I did not expect Quantum Break game saves to be cross-platform.

My QB save from Xbox which is at the final boss synced over to PC.

Nice!

Do the Xbox and PC versions share the same achievement lists? In other words do you get double the achievements for doing both platforms?

Same list.

ViciousDS

Banned
Lol at CDkeys. Saying no pre order bonus with that version. Week later. I have both Alan Wakes and a W10 code.

Yes....hell of a digital deal.

I think my key was $45 for Xbox one, I got both Alan wakes, DLC is free ATM, and the W10 copy of QB to sell.....damn

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
I did not expect Quantum Break game saves to be cross-platform.

My QB save from Xbox which is at the final boss synced over to PC.

Nice!

Same list.

Oh shit. That is awesome.

Considering I wanted to play new game plus, but also wanted the added graphical prowess of PC.

Now I can have both.

Hopefully now we can get some proper resolution and performance patches.

Alienous

Well, that was entertaining.

The plot is a bit messy, and I think I enjoyed the episodes more than the game itself, but it's a good distraction. The combat is fun, but not all that challenging, even on Hard - the time powers (especially things like time shield) make most combat encounters trivial. Maybe it's because of how much I'd heard the final boss was a pain, but focusing on not screwing up I managed to get it on my second try - dashing around and using the time shield liberally it's not too much of a big deal.

And I guess it's a decent length. I started playing around 8 hours ago, so I guess it's around 9 hours in length.

Well, I guess that was Quantum Break.

DirtyLarry

Damn, I think I was pretty damn efficient playing this game.
6qNb.jpg

I also think I played it more like a traditional TPS than others. I did not rely on the Time Powers all that much.
I thought I died way more than that.
Also the time played is definitely incorrect. I just left it running a few times while I did other stuff.

Hawk269

5G8Ibil.jpg

Scene looks so natural.

The lighting in this game is outstanding. I think one of the reasons it has taken me so long to beat it is because I stop and just look around, take screen shots etc. I am in Act 5, Part 2 right now, so almost at the end, but damn if this game is just gorgeous (most of the time).

T.O.P

Banned
I still have to find that sweet spot with enemies that I'll keep replaying by using "Restart from checkpoint" right before killing the last guy.
One contender is the underground garage at the start of act 3 part 2.

-------------

Trying to mess around with the powers:
qb6tzs71.gif

yo

YOOO

Nowise10

I had my doubts in the past, but I don't respect Joe as a reviewer after seeing what I just watched. The guy is a reviewer, an influencer, and the entirety of him playing Quantum Break for review is dancing around, reading donations while his friend plays the game, and leaving to go get fast food during the cutscenes.

Their were moments he was confused about basic aspects of the game, that if he was paying an ounce of attention prior, he would know what was going on. And his fans just eat it all up. Disappointing.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Replaying Alan Wake and holy damn this game is still insanely gorgeous to look at

Literally just got to the cabin <333

Think I might go back and finish this now.

Played through a bunch on the 360 with a buddy but never finished it. Double dipped on PC at some point. Should be nice to play though it at 4K 60fps.

Still have not been able to beat the final boss, although I know how to kill it.

Fuck this game and fuck remedy

#ultimate_rage

I haven't cursed about a boss fight like that in a while until last night. It's so annoying yet not complicated which made it even more frustrating. Lol.

T.O.P

Banned
Wait wait wait

Did I just hear Joe say "it looks like i'm not playing this seriously but it's because i already played the game privately"

...are you shitting me now lolol

I notice how bad the AI's are in this game watching the stream. I did not feel that way on my play-through, maybe because I was always on the move and using my abilities.

So is there no way to make a just-in-case backup of a 'Bone save before I start the game up on W10? I was kind of shocked to find I can't simply export a save to USB.

jet1911

I still have to find that sweet spot with enemies that I'll keep replaying by using "Restart from checkpoint" right before killing the last guy.
One contender is the underground garage at the start of act 3 part 2.

-------------

Trying to mess around with the powers:
qb6tzs71.gif

You can also stop ennemies that are not in a time stop bubble.

cnQlDtk.gif

Trup1aya

Well, that was entertaining.

The plot is a bit messy, and I think I enjoyed the episodes more than the game itself, but it's a good distraction. The combat is fun, but not all that challenging, even on Hard - the time powers (especially things like time shield) make most combat encounters trivial. Maybe it's because of how much I'd heard the final boss was a pain, but focusing on not screwing up I managed to get it on my second try - dashing around and using the time shield liberally it's not too much of a big deal.

And I guess it's a decent length. I started playing around 8 hours ago, so I guess it's around 9 hours in length.

Well, I guess that was Quantum Break.

Just curious, what did you find 'messy' about the plot? I've heard that comment several times, but I've been obsessing over the plot lately, and can't find a single loop hole... It's one of the cleanest time travel stories I've ever consumed.

8 hours meant none of the collectibles were read. You lose a lot of the story from skipping them, IMO.

The interactions of the game characters and TV show characters via emails and other written messages really added to the game for me. Reading two characters discuss another character who's live you've seen in the TV show is a very effective way of combining the worlds and making a cohesive story.

Then on a second playthrough, when you change all your decisions those changes are reflected in a lot of the written messages. If you aren't reading that stuff then I think you're missing out.

Alright, Act V complete and some crazy story twists, that was pretty sweet. I agree with people on the last boss fight though, it felt cheap and not the way you do a boss fight, at least it wasn't a long one though and once I kinda figured out what to do I was able to get a hang of it and beat it. The ending was pretty good, though it didn't completely wrap up everything that I felt it should have. Overall though the story was really good and I loved the twists.

Not as good as Alan Wake though, AW still had that special pull on me but Quantum Break came close in certain areas. Great job Remedy, another amazing game, can't wait for Alan Wake 2 next ;)

And last but not least... That after credit scene... OH SNAP!

Dimorphic

I am not going "out of my way" to obsessively search for the collectables (personally I hate that games make you do it and find it really takes you out of the immersion) however the ones that I find (I am taking my time to search each area before moving on but not with a fine tooth comb) really do add a lot to the backstory and the main characters motives.

The only thing is that there are some decent sized revelations in some of the emails but Jack doesn't even flinch when you read them. Some sort of contextual reaction to things would've been really nice.

The two things I loved about the collectibles in Quantum Break:

1) You can find 80-90% of them without having to look too hard

2) Almost all of them add to the story and involve characters that you recognise from the main story and the TV show.

Too many other games have emails/diaries/audio logs from random characters that you will never meet and are just there as filler. Quantum Break is one of the rare games where I wanted to soak up as much information about the world and characters as I could.

Bonus point (3) Time Knife and Adventures in Flesh are fucking incredible

fuuuuu

So, big spoiler of course, but just bought the CE guide which has a ton of pages dedicated to design process, lots of artwork etc.

There is a section of things that didnt make the final game

Apparently
They original planned to have a sequence set in the End Of Time but had to cut it due to time

-QUOTE We would have seen the world in its final frozen instant, a chaotic and confusing mess of broken timelines which would have been haunted by the shifters. - END QUOTE

Man this is what I missed most in the game. Would have been cool.

Also, since they originally did plan to show shifters in that sequence, they have the concept art of what they would look like.

fuuuuu

So, big spoiler of course, but just bought the CE guide which has a ton of pages dedicated to design process, lots of artwork etc.

There is a section of things that didnt make the final game

Apparently
They original planned to have a sequence set in the End Of Time but had to cut it due to budget

-QUOTE We would have seen the world in its final frozen instant, a chaotic and confusing mess of broken timelines which would have been haunted by the shifters. - END QUOTE

Man this is what I missed most in the game. Would have been cool.

Don't worry, we'll see that in a teaser trailer when Sam Lake takes to the stage at E3 to announce Alan Break, a co-op time travelling horror adventure in which a world famous novelist teams up with a gun toting traveller with mysterious powers in order to save the world.

Daingurse

What is that? It was pretty jarring especially in Act 1 before shit hit the fan.

Digital Foundry explains the reconstruction tech (not re-projection, my bad) here better than I can. I did find it to be distracting on NPC characters, but I got used to it after awhile.

Top Bottom