• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quantum Theory |OT| The Third Pillar

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
This is the official thread for the videogame called Quantum Theory.

wndji.png

Genre: Action/Third Person Shooter
Published by: Tecmo Koei
Developed by: Team Tachyon

other works: Rygar: The Battle of Argus (Wii, PS2) & Super Swing Golf Season 2 (Wii)

When can I play it?

EU - September 24th, 2010
US - September 28th, 2010
JP - September 30th, 2010

Platforms: Xbox and PS3

Official Website

The Story

Many years have passed since the world war inflicted catastrophic damage on the human race, leaving only a few survivors. In their new community "Cocoon," life has been threatened by a black material called Erosion, creating a post-apocalyptic environment. Surviving humans recruit a militia to conquer the Erosion and set out to take down the evil, "Living Tower". Arriving at the scene is the stalwart warrior Syd, whose only intentions are to destroy the Tower. He meets the beautiful and mysterious Filena as they both ascend to the top in their search for answers. The erosion of the Tower intensifies as the players climb up through the moving landform.

Our Heroes

Syd - player 1
uoVLe.jpg

The dark hero, wields a massive gun

Filina - player 2
zbltS.jpg

Has a sword, can be thrown

The Hype

"...organic fantasy world...entirely unique.
- Official Playstation Magazine

the title seems poised to deliver
- G4TV

I was pleasantly surprised by my time with Quantum Theory....Team Tachyon's third-person shooter my curiosity has certainly been piqued by its cinematic flair and innovative living environment aspect
-Gamepro

It's visually intriguing... extremely satisfying.... I could see this being another entertaining, stylish, machismo-fueled addition to the genre.
-1up

The Media

Official HD trailer

E3 2010 Trailer

TGS 2010 footage

Story Trailer

Preorder Bonus
this guy
tfVdW.jpg

For additional information: dogpile.com

REVIEWS:

Gamepro:
3/5
The controls are....responsive, easy to pick up, and logically laid out. The overall visual aesthetic is definitely...colorful and varied...a noble effort on Tecmo-Koei's part...a killer action game

Eurogamer
3/10
Quantum's foes....share the same ugliness, lacking that attraction-in-hideousness found in entertainment's greatest monsters, from H. R. Giger's Alien to the Elephant Man.
...a slick, enthralling journey

Videogamer
:
4/10
taking the best elements of different games...has stunning results. Gears of War.

Metacritic Summary:

queue your demo your XBOX right now!

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Here's a banner for ya:

quantumtheory.png

Although I have no buying intention buying this game, at least I can contribute a banner!

There's demos on both XBL and PSN if anyone wants to try it out.

Played it about a week ago, the game was awful. The controls felt odd, the shooting was weird and twitchy, enemies being shot was plain laughable, and the boss in the demo was just plain bad. Performance on the 360 was solid though, to say the least, for being a last minute port.

DeadTrees

Cool, they used Mad Libs to write the story.

"Many years have passed since __________, leaving only a few survivors. In __________, life has been threatened by __________, creating __________. Surviving humans __________ to __________ and set out to take down the evil, __________. Arriving at the scene is the stalwart warrior __________, whose only intentions are __________. He meets the beautiful and mysterious __________ as they both __________ in their search for answers. __________ intensifies as the players __________."

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
DeadTrees said:
Cool, they used Mad Libs to write the story.

don't be talkin shit

I could only find a few summaries, that seemed to be the best one even though it kind of cuts off after the last sentence. Oh well, once I play the game I can write up my own summary.

Nemesis_

The demo did not impress me at all though I love the artistic direction of it. A Japanese developed Gears clone will never do that well in the West thought.

Will no doutb try it, especially since I now know that the female character has a different combat style. Well, I hope so. >_>

Eliciel

After playing that Demo it is the GOTY contender for me.

eye bleeding graphics
godsmacking fights
breathtaking combo moves

I don't like it when games get reviewed very bad, because everyone out there is trying to get the best out of his/her product, everyday. Forgive me and I am really sorry, but this game will possibly get some very, very bad reviews. :(

Btw. how old are the "hype" comments? 2007/2008?

No offense but this game isn't going to review well at all. Initially(When it was announced) it seemed like it'd be an over the top Japanese Gears, but just playing the demo makes it painfully obvious that they missed all the good parts.

Pooya

CrushDance said:
No offense but this game isn't going to review well at all. Initially(When it was announced) it seemed like it'd be an over the top Japanese Gears, but just playing the demo makes it painfully obvious that they missed all the good parts.

http://www.oxm.co.uk/article.php?id=22162
oxm said:
It will do next month but we've reviewed it in the current issue of OXM and... yes. If you've picked up the magazine, you'll know Quantum Theory is not very good. At all. You'll see for yourself soon enough.

apparently 3/10 from OXM >_>
The publication has given the title a score of 3/10, claiming it's "like Gears of War 2 but infinitely worse" as well as being "flawed on almost every level".

Quantum Theory is set to wash up on European shores later this month, but with it being titled "a crushing disappointment", is it worth a look? No, didn't think so.

Nemesis_

I don't understand how Tecmo/Tachyon can make any money out of this, I remember when it was just called QUANTUM or something and was a PS3 exclusive. It felt like ages ago.

NHale

CrushDance said:

Nonsense.

Nemesis556 said:
I don't understand how Tecmo/Tachyon can make any money out of this, I remember when it was just called QUANTUM or something and was a PS3 exclusive. It felt like ages ago.

I'm pretty sure it started out as Quantum Theory, then they simplified the name to just "Quantum", then they went back to Quantum Theory near release.

You guys hyped for the online co-op/competitive play? You better be, because there's lots of achievements and trophies to be had for them! Weeks of fun. See you guys online! :lol

jetsetfluken said:
You guys hyped for the online co-op/competitive play? You better be, because there's lots of achievements and trophies to be had for them! Weeks of fun. See you guys online! :lol
platinuming this must be harder than DarkSector then, as online will probably be vacant

_dementia said:
platinuming this must be harder than DarkSector then, as online will probably be vacant

In other news, Front Misson Evolved has an online one for hitting the maximum online ranking.
See you online! :lol

Is it wrong I'm waiting for these games to hit $15-$20 or under because of these reasons?

Sevket-Erhat said:
If I were the producers I would never released that demo

Yep. At least they would have gained a bunch of regret buyers if they hadn't. Now instead of being doomed shortly after release, it's doomed before release.
Or you know, they could have made the trophies/achievements easier so that that little crowd would buy it up...but noooo!

NinjaBoiX

I can't believe there are GOTY calls for this bilge. I played the demo and was gobsmacked by the ineptitude on display from the developers. Bland, unimaginative and frankly hideous art design, poor engine perfomance (enemies vanishing into thin air upon death, in 2010) stilted and limited animation, awful aim acceleration that can't be tweaked, completely forgettable weapons that are needlessly awkward to use, boring enviroments (well, enviroment to be fair, only one in the demo), and woeful AI.
It's like they took some pre-alpha Gears 1 code and changed the assets. It really is shockingly bad. Even if it was released just after Gears of War 1, it would look like a poor imitation. Oh, and throwing your female team-mate as an attack, er, wut?

Its threads like these one follows to see what earnest unbiased opinions & enjoyment a game can provide. We bookmark to see what everyone says about it.

Eliciel

-NinjaBoiX- said:
I can't believe there are GOTY calls for this bilge. I played the demo and was gobsmacked by the ineptitude on display from the developers. Bland, unimaginative and frankly hideous art design, poor engine perfomance (enemies vanishing into thin air upon death, in 2010) stilted and limited animation, awful aim acceleration that can't be tweaked, completely forgettable weapons that are needlessly awkward to use, boring enviroments (well, enviroment to be fair, only one in the demo), and woeful AI.
It's like they took some pre-alpha Gears 1 code and changed the assets. It really is shockingly bad. Even if it was released just after Gears of War 1, it would look like a poor imitation. Oh, and throwing your female team-mate as an attack, er, wut?

lol... re-read them 100% ironic, satiric and what ever else rhetorical is used there to hide the true fact, that this game won't get reviewed well and don't even start talking about the sales.

I would rather invest 50-60 € buying a 360 and renting geow 1,2 ...3 than buying this game. Seriously.

MjFrancis

-NinjaBoiX- said:
Even if it was released just after Gears of War 1, it would look like a poor imitation.
That was my impression upon viewing the in-game videos Tecmo presented over a year ago. Just watching it and nothing felt right. The animations were jerky, the levels looked monotonous, and the game looked easy. While supposedly being a cover shooter, the demos showed that you could still eat a shitload of bullets without recourse, and there was very little need for cover at all. I can't emphasize how horrible the animations looked, it really opened my eyes to the kind of polish and love Epic gives Gears of War. It looked like they were shooting cardboard cutouts in Quantum Theory.

I am hoping that the demo will provide a few updates over what I saw last year, but it isn't looking promising.

DaBuddaDa

-NinjaBoiX- said:
I can't believe there are GOTY calls for this bilge. I played the demo and was gobsmacked by the ineptitude on display from the developers. Bland, unimaginative and frankly hideous art design, poor engine performance (enemies vanishing into thin air upon death, in 2010) stilted and limited animation, awful aim acceleration that can't be tweaked, completely forgettable weapons that are needlessly awkward to use, boring environments (well, environment to be fair, only one in the demo), and woeful AI.
I'm sorry you don't like the game, but you're so wrong. QT is the best game to come out this year, just play the demo. For gods sake, it's so orgasmic!

-NinjaBoiX- said:
I can't believe there are GOTY calls for this bilge.

What? Tell me one other game coming out this year where you can throw your female partner at things. This is the one feature I wanted out of RE5...and...I got it.:D

jetsetfluken said:
In other news, Front Misson Evolved has an online one for hitting the maximum online ranking.
See you online! :lol

Is it wrong I'm waiting for these games to hit $15-$20 or under because of these reasons?

:lol Not at all. I am doing the same because I dont think we will have to wait that long.

Top Bottom