• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quantum Theory |OT| The Third Pillar

Korigama said:
Never imagined I'd see anyone say they played RE4 or God Hand for story, either.
This statement makes complete sense to me. For me, the draw with both of those games was never the story, but they were certainly well-written enough (well, entertainingly written, at least) that I wanted to see where it all went. If Vanquish wasn't even that way with him, it's completely understandable.

The bigger problem seems to be that he missed what Vanquish is all about. Granted I haven't played it yet (I know, I'm awful), but I find it really hard to believe that a game in which you jet around on rocket legs and you have a button dedicated to smoking cigarettes could ever be accused of taking itself too seriously.

Also, nothing about this game looks any good whatsoever.

EDIT: oh, he was trolling. Carry on!

sonicmj1

Rahxephon91 said:
Hey you say the trolling has been obvious ,but it seems some thought I was serious. So I say it was pretty successful. Especially, when my quote about Vanquish was used in the 2010 GOTY results thread.

But no I have actually played the game and I actually beat it today. If you read my post in the Underrated 2010 thread you would see what I actually think.

Reading that, the game sounds pretty awful.

I really like Vanquish, but the tone trends a lot more serious than it ought to at the very beginning (the way they linger on the death and destruction in San Francisco) and the very end
with the President committing suicide
. Everything else in the plot is fine, though. Some good cheesy one-liners.

Quantum Theory just seems bad, though. Maybe it can be enjoyed ironically, but I don't feel the need to find out.

Korigama

I AM JOHN! said:
This statement makes complete sense to me. For me, the draw with both of those games was never the story, but they were certainly well-written enough (well, entertainingly written, at least) that I wanted to see where it all went. If Vanquish wasn't even that way with him, it's completely understandable.

Actually, this much I can understand. I can agree with them being entertaining enough to wonder what happened next (I'm not the sort to skip cutscenes I've never seen), but I do question the notion of analyzing those stories in depth when they're not meant to be especially profound or serious.

But no I have actually played the game and I actually beat it today. If you read my post in the Underrated 2010 thread you would see what I actually think. And no I don't think Vanquish is serious at all.

It's a pretty terrible game ,but its lol worthy in how Temco thought this was what American gamers wanted. Funny and almost insulting. The lead character beyond having a line ripped off of Marcus Fenix, spouts nothing but how much he wants to kill everything. Is this how we Americans like are characters? Maybe, but it's too much here. The character will say stuff like "Come here and let me kill you like i killed all your friends", "last one left weak", "now the fun begins, I'm going to kill you", and "mmm ammo". It's kind of funny that we are supposed to like the character. The game does put in effort to flesh out his backstory. We see it, but it's only half finished as a obvious connection is never made and we never go back to it. The story does have an intriguing mystery, in the way Cavia games do. But like Cavia games it's mishandled and kind of dumped on you at the end. Not as bad as in Qt though, were at the end everything is dumped on you. Maybe I'm talking too much about the story, but there is quite a lot of it. The collectible side stuff is for example all about the story.

As for the gameplay. Well it is kind of like drunk Gears of War. The aiming never feels responsive and the enemies run around and it's hard to keep a feed on them. Doesn't matter though because the Ai is pretty stupid. Typical bad ai here. They either run at you or just jump from cover to cover with no thought. The challenge only comes from the their numbers and the unresponsive aiming. When a lot is going on, it can be annoying and taking cover isn't the end all solution as some enemies can still shoot you.

As for your female partner, many times have I seen her just shoot at the wall. Sometimes she takes down things and is useful, but mostly just as a bullet sponge. The game isn't hard, even the bigger enemies take a few shots. There's no skill or style here. Just shoot, run, evade, and take cover.Nothing special. Even throwing your bitch is'nt needed and I never did a melee combo in the actual game. One of the few cool thing in the game wasn't needed at all.

As for the technical aspects. I guess the image quality is good. No slowdown, visuals are technically fine and clear. FMV shows no signs of compression. Still animation is a bit strange. When you fall it looks silly, among other things.

I guess one of the cool things about the game was that environments change. Forget about that. There are maybe 1 or 2 times when that happens and the battlefield actually becomes different, but for the most part it's on rails so to speak and doesn't really alter your battle. It also adds stupid jump to platfourm shit, that is very awkward because you simply don't have a feel for your character and it isn't responsive.

So technically the game works and it wont give you any problems. I myself enjoy playing bad quirky Japanese games and we don't have a lot of those this gen. So I enjoyed it in that sense. It works and is in no way broken, it's just really bad. But funny that Temco thought this is what would lead them to success in the west.

NIN90

Rahxephon91 said:
But no I have actually played the game and I actually beat it today. If you read my post in the Underrated 2010 thread you would see what I actually think. And no I don't think Vanquish is serious at all.

It's a pretty terrible game ,but its lol worthy in how Temco thought this was what American gamers wanted. Funny and almost insulting. The lead character beyond having a line ripped off of Marcus Fenix, spouts nothing but how much he wants to kill everything. Is this how we Americans like are characters? Maybe, but it's too much here. The character will say stuff like "Come here and let me kill you like i killed all your friends", "last one left weak", "now the fun begins, I'm going to kill you", and "mmm ammo". It's kind of funny that we are supposed to like the character. The game does put in effort to flesh out his backstory. We see it, but it's only half finished as a obvious connection is never made and we never go back to it. The story does have an intriguing mystery, in the way Cavia games do. But like Cavia games it's mishandled and kind of dumped on you at the end. Not as bad as in Qt though, were at the end everything is dumped on you. Maybe I'm talking too much about the story, but there is quite a lot of it. The collectible side stuff is for example all about the story.

As for the gameplay. Well it is kind of like drunk Gears of War. The aiming never feels responsive and the enemies run around and it's hard to keep a feed on them. Doesn't matter though because the Ai is pretty stupid. Typical bad ai here. They either run at you or just jump from cover to cover with no thought. The challenge only comes from the their numbers and the unresponsive aiming. When a lot is going on, it can be annoying and taking cover isn't the end all solution as some enemies can still shoot you.

As for your female partner, many times have I seen her just shoot at the wall. Sometimes she takes down things and is useful, but mostly just as a bullet sponge. The game isn't hard, even the bigger enemies take a few shots. There's no skill or style here. Just shoot, run, evade, and take cover.Nothing special. Even throwing your bitch is'nt needed and I never did a melee combo in the actual game. One of the few cool thing in the game wasn't needed at all.

As for the technical aspects. I guess the image quality is good. No slowdown, visuals are technically fine and clear. FMV shows no signs of compression. Still animation is a bit strange. When you fall it looks silly, among other things.

I guess one of the cool things about the game was that environments change. Forget about that. There are maybe 1 or 2 times when that happens and the battlefield actually becomes different, but for the most part it's on rails so to speak and doesn't really alter your battle. It also adds stupid jump to platfourm shit, that is very awkward because you simply don't have a feel for your character and it isn't responsive.

So technically the game works and it wont give you any problems. I myself enjoy playing bad quirky Japanese games and we don't have a lot of those this gen. So I enjoyed it in that sense. It works and is in no way broken, it's just really bad. But funny that Temco thought this is what would lead them to success in the west.

Wait, wasn't this game supposed to be good?

NIN90 said:
Wait, wasn't this game supposed to be good?
I'm sure Temco wanted it to be. But it's pretty embarasingly bad. I don't stop playing FF games when a cutscene comes on and a family member comes in, but I did with Quantum Theory.

This is even in the manual.

IMG_0485.jpg

It says "Gotta Kill It" by the way. Which a friend and I burst into laughter when it came on screen at the end of the QT demo. Needless to say, the same reaction happened when we opened the manual.

The sad thing is that is the kind of line you will see during the entire game.

But still I enjoy bad games from Japan and always find them very interesting. That's why I wanted to play this game. I heard it was bad, but I wanted to make up my own mind and see how bad it really was. It's a big trainwrek.

Korigama said:
He was trolling.
And it seemingly worked for the most part.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Top Bottom