• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quebec

WarPig

I contend that no game made in Quebec has ever been good. Are there any examples to the contrary?

DFS.

Tabris

Psst, also for reference, Prince of Persia, which imo, was the second best western developed game last year was made in Montreal.

WarPig

Goddamn Ubisoft. That was a nifty theory for about 30 seconds.

This was inspired, by the way, by learning that Atari's new "Yu Yu Hakusho: Dark Tournament" was made in Quebec.

DFS.

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
And lets not forget a little adventure called Syberia, by microids montreal.

There's also 2 studios and the HQ of strategy first in montreal, not sure which tackled what game though but SF aint no shitty dev :p

And adding to ubisoft, rainbow six series since it has been bought from red storm has been exclusive to Ubisoft montreal. So did Beyond good and evil.

Montreal is actually becoming quite a giant in videogames, EA has a new studio in montreal too, we'll see their games in the upcoming years, from the footage i saw on Mnet, it looked really good.

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
bishoptl said:
Quebec (Montreal in particular) is also home to some of the most beautiful women on the planet.

I 2nd that, especially in the UQAM area (university), St-denis street during night is just so damn cool, hot chicks everywhere :D

Hellraizah

Damn, never thought I would find racist comments about my nation here.

Anyways, Bungie should move to Quebec, they are too talented to NOT live here. :)

I didn't see any racist comments about Canada - or the nation that only exists in the head of a portion of the population living in the Quebec province.

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
There's a quebecer working at bungie actually, he's lead designer of halo2's multiplayer irrc, Stephane something something..

Mnet had a couple of interviews with him at E3.

Hellraizah

Buggy Loop said:
There's a quebecer working at bungie actually, he's lead designer of halo2's multiplayer irrc, Stephane something something..

So can we say that every good game has at least one quebecer working on it ?

WarPig

suikodan said:
If Warpig was on GameRankings.com, he would be rated low... :p

Get lost man

(From a Quebecer)

Look at it this way -- I've given everyone an opportunity to partake in an outpouring of pro-Quebec sentiment.

I agree wholeheartedly with my new tag, incidentally.

DFS.

Fularu

Banned
Buggy Loop said:
And lets not forget a little adventure called Syberia, by microids montreal.

There's also 2 studios and the HQ of strategy first in montreal, not sure which tackled what game though but SF aint no shitty dev :p

And adding to ubisoft, rainbow six series since it has been bought from red storm has been exclusive to Ubisoft montreal. So did Beyond good and evil.

Montreal is actually becoming quite a giant in videogames, EA has a new studio in montreal too, we'll see their games in the upcoming years, from the footage i saw on Mnet, it looked really good.

Syberia was a benoit soiqual game.. made by the same team than the Amerzone (L'amerzone).. and Soiqual is french so that doesn't work

Beyond good and evil was made by Ancel's team, in France, not by Ubi Montreal (Rayman 2's team)

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
Syberia was a benoit soiqual game.. made by the same team than the Amerzone (L'amerzone).. and Soiqual is french so that doesn't work

Benoit was the guy who invented the universe and pretty much behind every decisions, but it was still montreal's microid team that did amerzone, syberia 1 and 2. Benoit came to montreal and made an interview with the producer of these titles from microid montreal a couple of times on Mnet.

You're right about BG&E though, mixed that with something else.

and for Benoit Sokal, a few searches on google gave this, from interviews, previews, etc.

LM: One last question cause I know you have to go. Last time that we chatted, you talked about how isolated you felt in your earlier work at your studio. Do you have any moments now with all the activity and hustle that you long for the quiet days of your studio?

BS: Each time I come to Montreal, once a month. I just wish I could stay (laugh).

LM: Really! So you love Montreal.

BS: It is not an easy travel. It is tough to go back and forth every month for a week. Because in a week with the jet lag, you don’t have a lot of time to get acclimated. It’s a joke. But no regrets.

For these six individuals, the call to work on Benoît’s project was a shock. They had been chosen to demonstrate their skills on Microïds’ most ambitious project ever with a guy that had a huge reputation in the comic industry and the author of a great adventure game, Amerzone.

Well they didn’t have a whole lot of time to be shocked. Benoît hopped on a plane for Montreal to meet the team he was going to work with for the next four years and let them know he wanted this game to become a classic in the genre, nothing less. Talk about pressure!

A-T: Mr. Sokal, how much did you interact with Microïds? Did you only send them your sketches and ideas or did you have an active involvement in the game making process?

B.S.: After the release of Amerzone, we started working together about Syberia. And in fact I am the artistic director and the author of the game. That is to say I am completely involved in the development of the game. I have been one week a month in Montreal (the game was developed by Microïds Canada) and otherwise, I am working with the development team (+/- 30 persons) by E-Mail, phone or FTP. At the beginning I have written alone the synopsis and made many drawings so that the team should understand what I wanted to express (you can contact the www.syberia.info web site to consult some of them). It was a true challenge at the beginning of the project because the North American culture is far different from the European one.

:)

Ranger X

bishoptl said:
Quebec (Montreal in particular) is also home to some of the most beautiful women on the planet.

All guys who agree with that.... Are you all from here or something?
Am i all that gifted to be living here in Montreal? --- Maybe! At least it would give me a legit reason to be traumatised everyday by gorgeous womens in the streets. (i thought i wasn't normal or something)

I'm in Ottawa, but I lived in Quebec City or Montreal most of my life. I also have to say that QC has damn fine ladies too.

Fularu

Banned
Buggy Loop said:
Benoit was the guy who invented the universe and pretty much behind every decisions, but it was still montreal's microid team that did amerzone, syberia 1 and 2. Benoit came to montreal and made an interview with the producer of these titles from microid montreal a couple of times on Mnet.

You're right about BG&E though, mixed that with something else.

and for Benoit Sokal, a few searches on google gave this, from interviews, previews, etc.

:)
I never said anything else tht Sokal was french and was the true soul behind both L'Amerzone and Syberia. Without sokal there would be no L'amerzone or the syberia games (too bad that Syberia is one of the most bug ridden game ever, a real shame :( )

I never said the dev team wasn't in Montreal :p

As for the one making comments on the women in Quebec. Those in Quebec City (where I live) have nothing to envy on those living in montreal. But montreal has the upper hand with its sheer variety of races ;)

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
I dunno, I almost got run over thanks to some of the ladies of Osaka.
I wouldn't say that Splinter Cell is any defense against the bad games from Quebec theory, but I guess you get kinda lucky with PoP.

Ranger X

na naaah, we don't get lucky; Quebec rules essti!

drapeau_qc.bmp

Buggy Loop said:

Oh and...

WHOEVER THINKS MNET IS A GREAT SHOW SHOULD BE SHOT ON SIGHT.

Wyzdom said:
All guys who agree with that.... Are you all from here or something?
Am i all that gifted to be living here in Montreal? --- Maybe! At least it would give me a legit reason to be traumatised everyday by gorgeous womens in the streets. (i thought i wasn't normal or something)

Hell no, I'm not from Montreal. You can flush those 10 months of winter down the toilet as far as I'm concerned, but it's a great city during the summer. I love visiting it.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
The Bookerman said:
Oh fuck yeah. I agree.

Godbless montreal.

You been to montreal before Bish?
I had a two hour layover between flights once and nearly pulled a Tom Hanks in the airport - the women are that gorgeous. Plus a good friend of mine went to University there (he's actually there right now working on a movie) and sends me pictures all the time.

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
Fularu said:
I never said anything else tht Sokal was french and was the true soul behind both L'Amerzone and Syberia. Without sokal there would be no L'amerzone or the syberia games (too bad that Syberia is one of the most bug ridden game ever, a real shame :( )

I never said the dev team wasn't in Montreal :p

Well your original post kinda goes that way "he's french so.." as if if Sokal is french, the game most surely be from a french dev.

So whats the point of your original reply then? If you admit that the dev is in montreal, so how this "doesnt work" ? They dont get the credit for making the game because the guy behind the franchise is from france? Does that mean that irrational games gets no credit for system shock 2 because it was a franchise from Warren spector? That retro doesnt deserve credit for Metroid prime because its from EAD and was supervised by NCL devs?

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
Wyzdom said:
Guys here says that womens are easier on the est coast of United States. What's your take?

As long as you avoid NY, Boston and Philly, sure! ;)

Fularu

Banned
Buggy Loop said:
Well your original post kinda goes that way "he's french so.." as if if Sokal is french, the game most surely be from a french dev.

So whats the point of your original reply then? If you admit that the dev is in montreal, so how this "doesnt work" ? They dont get the credit for making the game because the guy behind the franchise is from france? Does that mean that irrational games gets no credit for system shock 2 because it was a franchise from Warren spector? That retro doesnt deserve credit for Metroid prime because its from EAD and was supervised by NCL devs?
No, I just said that since the true soul behind the game ius french, it doesn't really count as a game from *quebec*.

Syberia or l'amerzone is all about atmosphere, story and puzzles, not some technical prowess. Which means the dev house did nothing amazing, Benoit Sokal made the game stand out, not the dev.

While Strategy First, for example, with the Disciples games, made something truly unique.

Your retro studio exemple doesn't work, they did an amazing piece of software technically wise.

Top Bottom