• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quentin Tarantino Thread of- Foot Fetishes, Tipping and Ezekiel 25:17

Status
Not open for further replies.

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
QUENTIN TARANTINO- APPRECIATION THREAD​

2dtrp00.jpg

So I've done it. I've finally watched every Quentin Tarantino directed movie. My impression? He is the greatest writer/director ever. His movies are uniquely distinguished from everything else that's out there. They are also different within themselves and at the same times a great familiarity is included. After today, I feel like I have finally seen why films exist. Tarantino is such an amazing film maker, that it's just hard for me to describe. I urge each and every one who reads this. To watch at least one of his films. It will change your perspective of films. You will finally see what good dialogue writing actually is.
I just can't believe this. QT delivers heavily. And in honour of it. I want to show my appreciation by just showing how awesome this man's movies are.

This is my letter to you, GAF. Please watch this man's movies. You will grow to love and appreciate the past generations in films, that have gone.

Reservoir dogs

Reservoir_dogs_ver1.jpg
21algms.jpg

Portrays what happens before and after a botched jewel heist, but not the heist itself. Reservoir Dogs stars an ensemble cast with Harvey Keitel, Steve Buscemi, Tim Roth, Michael Madsen, Quentin Tarantino, Chris Penn and Lawrence Tierney. Resulting in one of the GREATEST scenes in film history​

So do you believe in tipping?

Reservoirdog.jpg

The subject is still under vivid debate and discussion. Even GAF has a divided stance on this http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=368597 It looks like the subject of tipping will never be resolved. Because of this alone, you should watch this movie. And you will like it. Brand me with scolding, if you don't.​

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Pulp Fiction
Pulp_Fiction_cover.jpg

Before we get into details. Look at this cover, just fucking look at it. Have you ever seen a cover as badass, in recent decades?
Don't be a:
10f3oza.jpg

The film is known for its abundant, eclectic dialogue, ironic mix of humour and violence, nonlinear storyline, and an awesome collection of cinematic allusions and pop culture references. The film was nominated for seven Oscars, including Best Picture; Tarantino also won Best Original Screenplay. For this film.
Cast:
John Travolta
Samuel L. Jackson
Uma Thurman
Bruce Willis
Christopher Walken
The film features, Samuel L. Jackson and Travolta, discussing food, Europe,foot massages and pilots for tvshows. Is a foot massage an intimate thing? Would you give a man a foot massage?
There's also FHUTA...If you don't want to watch this, well, then I just don't know...​

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jackie Brown
Jackie_Brown70%27s.jpg

Sly and stealthy Jackie Brown turns the feds against her "employer," Ordell Robbie (Samuel L. Jackson) so she can sneak off with a big bag full of money. That's basically it. As with the movies prior, the writing is insane. Best scene in this film: (Spoiler alert) Samuel L. Jackson being his usual genius self.
Cast:
Pam Grier,
Robert De Niro,
Samuel L. Jackson,
Michael Keaton
Chris Tucker​

2003 Kill Bill Vol.1 ( Kill Bill Vol. 2 -2004)
20i8jtw.jpg

Easily one of my personal favourites of QT. Do you like Samurai swords ?

A top female assassin is attacked on her wedding day by the individuals she would or could refer to as “associates”. 9 people were killed... but there's just one thing...they should have killed 10....​

334673t.jpg

Of course revenge follows. Together with some of the best cinematography to ever hit the screen.
The movie is an epic-length revenge drama, with homages to earlier film genres, such as Hong Kong martial arts movies, Japanese Chanbara films, exploitation films and Italian spaghetti westerns; an extensive use of popular music and pop culture references; and aestheticization of violence . There's also latin pimps...

The film is divided into chapters:

Starting with
Chapter 1: 2 ( yes, the cross out is actually featured within the movie)

• Chapter 2: The Blood Splattered Bride
  • Chapter 3: The Origin of O-Ren
    (An amazing excerpt of almost 20 minutes. All done in 100 % Japanese Animation)
  • Chapter 4: The Man From Okinawa
  • Chapter 5: Showdown at House of Blue Leaves
  • Vol.2
  • Chapter 6: The Massacre at Two Pines
  • Chapter 7: The Lonely Grave of Paula Schultz
  • Chapter 8: Cruel Tutelage of Pai Mei
  • Chapter 9: Elle and I
  • Last Chapter: Face to Face

Cast:
Uma Thurman David Carradine Bill Vivica A. Fox Daryl Hannah Lucy Liu Michael Madsen Julie Dreyfus and Gordon Liu​

DeathProof

Death_Proof_%28Netherlands%29.jpg

His most recently released film. An all female lead cast. The opening credits are magnificient:
The film centers around a psychopathic stunt man ( Kurt Russell) who stalks young women before murdering them in staged car accidents using his “death-proof” stunt car. Using his car as an extention of his penis.

I liked this film. But there's a lot of people that brand it as “bad”.
Even if you don't like the story. There is one reason why you should watch this film. Just one:

Legs...​
grindhouse-death-proof-jungle-julia.jpg

I've timed it. There's about a total of 20 minutes of just shots of gorgeous legs. Legs, like no other. LEGS.

29d6z52.jpg

But wait...there's more!
Quentin Juke Box-
QT easily has the best OST for his films. Because,well, he gets them from other great OST's!
All hand picked by himself:

Inglorious Basterds

wb2fk3.jpg

Just for the title alone you should be intrigued. I mean, inglorious basterds? That was fine a few decades ago, but today, it's something daring and out there.
The film's about JEWS ambushing and killing NAZI's. How awesome is that. Starring Brad Pit as the mastermind behind it all. The film actually includes two story lines One follows a group of Jewish-American soldiers whose mission is to take down as many Nazis as they can get. They ambush and kill Nazi patrols, desecrating their corpses whilst leaving one alive to tell others. The other follows a young Jewish woman who seeks to avenge the death of her family at the hands of the sinister SS colonel known as 'The Jew Hunter'" How crazy is that name? holy crap.

Tarantino Trademarks:
Things that re-occur in all of his movies and you should keep an eye on-
  • The Trunk & Hood POV Shot
  • Foot Fetish
  • Close Ups on Lips
  • Comic Books, Cartoons and Comic Strips
  • Don't Be Such a Square
  • The Black and White Suits
  • Samurai Swords
And a lot more. http://www.tarantino.info/wiki/index.php/Quentin_Tarantino's_Trademarks#Introduction

You left out the best bit of his latest interview with Jonathan Ross

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXc1JF1wfDw

I gotta admit, it did but me when people were like "the kill bill soundtrack is awesome!" -- I'd be thinking, "yes, the various westerns and stuff you don't realise its ripped from are awesome too"

I love the guy though. His movies are great fun, he's clearly a nice guy and sooo clearly very geeky and into what he does.

Great thread btw!

giga said:
grindhouse-death-proof-jungle-julia.jpg

How old is this girl? 19ish? Pedo.

Sydney Poiter? She's 35 years old and still makes me swoon.

Edit: Tarantino co-wrote and acted in From Dusk Till Dawn. I wouldn't worry about True Romance, though. He basically disowned that film.

Veidt

Fenderputty said:
I was about to comment on the lack of love for both of those.

That's because I still haven't watched Four Rooms yet. And QT didn't direct From Dusk Till Dawn did he? That was Robert Rodriguez. Right?

harSon

Banned
rezuth said:
Missing:
CSI double episodes
From Dusk till Dawn
Four Rooms
True Romance

Thank you for leaving out Natural Born Killers, I try to pretend it doesn't exist :p

Awesome thread by the way, definitely my favorite of the directors who've debuted in the last few decades by far. Pretty comparable to Sergio Leone or Jean Pierre Melville as far as sheer movie making brilliance is concerned, hopefully he doesn't pass away in his prime like them though!

Jibril said:
That's because I still haven't watched Four Rooms yet. And QT didn't direct From Dusk Till Dawn did he? That was Robert Rodriguez. Right?

Well, he wrote the screenplay and had a fairly big role as an actor in the film.

Jibril said:

jibril said:
So I've done it. I've finally watched every Quentin Tarantino directed movie.

Quick ... watch and in two hours you'll be telling the truth. :p

Veidt

harSon said:
Thank you for leaving out Natural Born Killers, I try to pretend it doesn't exist :p

Awesome thread by the way, definitely my favorite of the directors who've debuted in the last few decades by far. Pretty comparable to Sergio Leone or Jean Pierre Melville as far as sheer movie making brilliance is concerned, hopefully he doesn't pass away in his prime like them though!

Well, he wrote the screenplay and had a fairly big role as an actor in the film.
Yeah, I've watched From Dusk Till Dawn. It was amazing too. Seriously awesome. I actually wanted to put it up there. But since it wasn't him who directed it. I guess I couldn't.
Fenderputty said:
Quick ... watch and in two hours you'll be telling the truth. :p
I haven't watched it in a long time. So I guess I can watch it tonight or tommorow.

harSon

Banned
Jibril said:
Yeah, I've watched From Dusk Till Dawn. It was amazing too. Seriously awesome. I actually wanted to put it up there. But since it wasn't him who directed it. I guess I couldn't.

You should check out films by directors that he was personally influenced by, I've already named two, Sergio Leone and Jean Pierre Melville. You'll definitely be in familiar territory considering their styles are so similar.

Nizz

harSon said:

Wasn't that Oliver Stone?

harSon

Banned
fps fanatic said:
Wasn't that Oliver Stone?

Well, it was in response to a post that had two films he wrote screenplays for.

Ryck said:
Wait True Romance isn't good?

I didn't know that :( when did he disown it?

It's good, I think it's just a matter of him thinking he could do a better job.

i had a tarantino marathon the other day when i was really hungover and stoned. all the movies were great except for Dusk Till Dawn... i know he only wrote the script but god it was absolutely terrible

Veidt

Ninja99 said:
I endorse this thread. QT is a genius and I look forward to enjoying his films for many years to come.
Yeah, I really like Tarantino movies. It's just insane how creative this man is.

Falt

harSon said:
You should check out films by directors that he was personally influenced by, I've already named two, Sergio Leone and Jean Pierre Melville. You'll definitely be in familiar territory considering their styles are so similar.
I was just about to post something similar. Going into Tarintino's influences is just a whole other world of greatness.

Love Tarantino. His scripts, his casting, his visual style, his musical choices. All grade A!

Nizz

Spider from Mars said:
Yeap Stone directed it, Tarantino does have a writing credit however. The movie itself was decent at best.

harSon said:
Well, it was in response to a post that had two films he wrote screenplays for.

It's good, I think it's just a matter of him thinking he could do a better job.
Ohh, ok. I haven't seen all of Tarantino's films, but the ones I have seen I really liked. Though I need to refresh my memory and see some of them again. I haven't seen Reservoir Dogs in maybe ten years?

Most recent ones I've watched again are Kill Bill Volumes 1&2 (I love the old Shaw Bros. Kung-fu flicks and these movies, especially part 1, were like a love letter to em) and Death Proof.

And with the exception of Uma Thurman's, he's filmed some pretty feet. ;) Sorry Uma...

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Love QT.. no Four Rooms or Dusk till Dawn is a huge miss...

Also Kill Bill was far from the QT I know and love.. hopefully IB will bounce back in my eyes..

I think True Romance and Natural Born count as QT works!

If you're going to watch True Romance download True Romance - The Tarantino Cut. It puts the scenes back into the order of the screenplay (the movie was original disjointed like Pulp Fiction) and it retains the darker ending. Tarantino didn't disown True Romance, he gave (well, sold) the screenplay to Scott as a fan of his work. It's Natural Born Killers he hated.
In fact he even has a commentary on the True Romance unrated DVD in which he discusses his vision of the movie. Scott even filmed the movie as it should have been in the screenplay but got cold feet in the editing room, afraid it would confuse audiences. The movie works so much better in it's original order, dialogue has more meaning and the audience is teased. The cut is pretty much perfect as well, you'd think it was supposed to be like that if nobody told you it was a fan restoration.

Here is a fun fact:

Tarantino first used Ezekial 25:17 in early drafts of From Dusk Till Dawn.

And another:

At the US premiere of Pulp Fiction at the 32nd New York Film Festival, some old dude had a heart attack or stroke during the needle-to-the-heart scene. It kinda sucked because they had to stop the film and then rewind it a bit once the paramedics got him out.

Gattsu25

Banned
OP, most of the links in your first post are fucked up

Good thread, though. Never saw Jackie Brown and that clip made me really interested.

Veidt

Blackace said:
Love QT.. no Four Rooms or Dusk till Dawn is a huge miss...

Also Kill Bill was far from the QT I know and love.. hopefully IB will bounce back in my eyes..

Totally. For the past week. I've just been re-watching everything. Even as we speak, there's a tarantino flick playing in the background.

Oh and I'm glad people liked the thread. I was really nervous. Worked on it for like hours.:lol

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Gattsu25 said:

Good thread, though. Never saw Jackie Brown and that clip made me really interested.

Outside of QT movies Jackie Brown is one of my favorite flicks.. And to me only Pulp Fiction is better.. it gets blasted a lot for some reason.. but Sam Jackson is a bad man in that flick..

YYZ

InaudibleWhispa said:
If you're going to watch True Romance download True Romance - The Tarantino Cut. It puts the scenes back into the order of the screenplay (the movie was original disjointed like Pulp Fiction) and it retains the darker ending. Tarantino didn't disown True Romance, he gave (well, sold) the screenplay to Scott as a fan of his work. It's Natural Born Killers he hated.
In fact he even has a commentary on the True Romance unrated DVD in which he discusses his vision of the movie. Scott even filmed the movie as it should have been in the screenplay but got cold feet in the editing room, afraid it would confuse audiences. The movie works so much better in it's original order, dialogue has more meaning and the audience is teased. The cut is pretty much perfect as well, you'd think it was supposed to be like that if nobody told you it was a fan restoration.
didn't know about this. Thanks for the heads up. Haven't seen True Romance yet.

Veidt

Gattsu25 said:

Fixed. Thanks for bringing up.

MrOctober

Banned
Easily my favorite director of my generation. Kubrick will probably always be my favorite but QT is right up there. Pulp Fiction is my favorite movie, I could easily watch that every day. I'm surprised this thread isn't more negative. I thought a lot of GAF didn't like QT, or at least like to show how smart they are by referencing all the things that he "rips off". I prefer the word homage myself.

harSon

Banned
InaudibleWhispa said:

I'm surprised I've never heard of this... thank you!

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Pulp Fiction is one of my all time top 5s. And goddamn do i love reservoir dogs.
Kill bill was definitely good, not his best but very good, i still need to watch a few others.
I love Tarantino.

I was really feeling Pulp Fiction today and now this thread. Guess I now what I'm watching later! I also really have to get to watching Reservoir Dogs sometime, it's been sitting around the house for years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom