• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quentin Tarantino Thread of- Foot Fetishes, Tipping and Ezekiel 25:17

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Great OP.
Nice to see some Tarantino love.

Just a little note, im using IE8 and the OP looks weird, like with some margin issue or something.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Such an awesome thread.

Pulp Fiction is the greatest movie ever created.

I ended up watching Death Proof on TV until 3:30am despite having to get up at 6:30 the next day. Really, really, well directed.

Made me hunger for more Tarantino. Might check out that True Romance QT cut, I barely remember anything about that movie besides Brad Pitt using a bear honey jar as a bong.

EzLink

Banned
Well, this thread has presumably done it's job. I've never seen a Tarantino movie but I'm on my way to rent Reservoir Dogs now

EzLink said:
Well, this thread has presumably done it's job. I've never seen a Tarantino movie but I'm on my way to rent Reservoir Dogs now

Nothing else before this thread convinced you to check him out? You should love Reservoir Dogs. I don't know a single person who dislikes it. Watch his movies in order in time for Inglourious Basterds release next month.

EzLink

Banned
InaudibleWhispa said:
Nothing else before this thread convinced you to check him out? You should love Reservoir Dogs. I don't know a single person who dislikes it. Watch his movies in order in time for Inglourious Basterds release next month.

I've been meaning to rent the majority of his movies for a while now, I've just never gotten around to it.

Anyway, I also got Pulp Fiction. I figure I'll watch those + Kill Bill 1 and 2, Death Proof (legs!) and maybe tipping in time for IB.

EzLink said:
I've been meaning to rent the majority of his movies for a while now, I've just never gotten around to it.

Anyway, I also got Pulp Fiction. I figure I'll watch those + Kill Bill 1 and 2, Death Proof (legs!) and maybe tipping in time for IB.

Cool, make you you come back and let us know what you think. You never know, you could be about to watch your favourite movie ever. Pulp Fiction is one of the most popular choices for such a thing. Keep in mind that whilst his movies are famous for violence and such, Kill Bill Volume 1 aside his movies are dialogue driven. Pulp Fiction has some fantastic dialogue. Don't forget Jackie Brown either.

EzLink

Banned
Wow, I'm fucking retarded. I thought "So you believe in tipping?" was another movie, then I got to that part in RD where they talk about it and I'm like "FUCK! IM GOING TO LOOK RETARDED ON GAF AND I CANT THINK OF A PARTICULARLY WORSE FATE AT THE MOMENT!"

Seriously though, what a dumbfuck I am :lol

Also, impressions of first scene in RD... holy shit I like where this movie is going. The dialogue is so real, it reminds me of goofy ass conversations I have with my friends all the time.

EzLink said:
Also, impressions of first scene in RD... holy shit I like where this movie is going. The dialogue is so real, it reminds me of goofy ass conversations I have with my friends all the time.

Ahhhh, I want that feeling again. Wait till you get to Pulp Fiction.

Sai-kun

Banned
Net_Wrecker said:
Ahhhh, I want that feeling again. Wait till you get to Pulp Fiction.

Pulp Fiction dialogue makes me grin from ear-to-ear throughout the whole movie because it's all so fucking awesome.

"Don't be a *square*". So good.

chiba

Great post, love me some QT.
and fuck the haters when it comes to Death Proof. The first hour and a half is just one big build up that leads to one of the most intense and enjoyable final 30mins in a movie I've ever seen. If I could erase 1 movie from my mind just so I could watch it again fresh, it would be DP.

Gilby

Maybe it's just because I'm a little drunk now, but Deathproof (to me) was a tribute to stuntmen/women. I love Tarantino's stuff. He doesn't seem overrated to me, but adequately-rated.
That being said, Planet Terror and Deathproof didn't really fit that well together. Planet terror was straight up B-movie zombie shenanigans, and would have fit well with Tarantino's Dusk 'til Dawn. But Tarantino has moved past B-movie, and even though his movies have larger than life dialog; it's all way too amazingly written and well paced for a true B-Movie.

(By the way, any B-zombie-movie fans who haven't seen Peter Jackson's early stuff, definitely check that out)

chiba

Gilby said:
That being said, Planet Terror and Deathproof didn't really fit that well together. Planet terror was straight up B-movie zombie shenanigans, and would have fit well with Tarantino's Dusk 'til Dawn. But Tarantino has moved past B-movie, and even though his movies have larger than life dialog; it's all way too amazingly written and well paced for a true B-Movie.

RR actually directed from dusk til dawn too, QT co-wrote it I think. But ya, totally agree they didn't really fit together. I prefer to watch the stand alone version of DP myself.

louis89

Jibril said:
Tarantino Trademarks:
Things that re-occur in all of his movies and you should keep an eye on-
  • The Trunk & Hood POV Shot
  • Foot Fetish
  • Close Ups on Lips
  • Comic Books, Cartoons and Comic Strips
    [*]Don't Be Such a Square
  • The Black and White Suits
  • Samurai Swords
Wasn't that just Pulp Fiction?

I so wanted Uma Thurman to actually draw out the square in the air when she says "that'd be about square" to Vivica A. Fox in Kill Bill.

bigcheese

InaudibleWhispa said:
If you're going to watch True Romance download True Romance - The Tarantino Cut. It puts the scenes back into the order of the screenplay (the movie was original disjointed like Pulp Fiction) and it retains the darker ending. Tarantino didn't disown True Romance, he gave (well, sold) the screenplay to Scott as a fan of his work. It's Natural Born Killers he hated.
In fact he even has a commentary on the True Romance unrated DVD in which he discusses his vision of the movie. Scott even filmed the movie as it should have been in the screenplay but got cold feet in the editing room, afraid it would confuse audiences. The movie works so much better in it's original order, dialogue has more meaning and the audience is teased. The cut is pretty much perfect as well, you'd think it was supposed to be like that if nobody told you it was a fan restoration.
Holy shit. Downloading now.

EzLink

Banned
Just finished Reservoir Dogs... Holy shit it was fucking great. Dialogue was superb the whole way through, there were a couple of really outstanding twists, and it was just really fucking interesting. It takes a whole hell of a lot for me to enjoy movies that are mainly character-driven (mainly because most movies that attempt that fail miserably) but this was just fucking astounding. It reminded me of two of my favorite films, The Machinist and Memento. It kept me guessing and was just fucking awesome the entire time.

Can't wait for Pulp Fiction tomorrow now :D

master15

The more I watch Jackie Brown the more sad I am Tarantino considers this his "old man film" and doesn't think he will return to such a grounded and realistic material anytime soon.

EzLink said:
Just finished Reservoir Dogs... Holy shit it was fucking great. Dialogue was superb the whole way through, there were a couple of really outstanding twists, and it was just really fucking interesting. It takes a whole hell of a lot for me to enjoy movies that are mainly character-driven (mainly because most movies that attempt that fail miserably) but this was just fucking astounding. It reminded me of two of my favorite films, The Machinist and Memento. It kept me guessing and was just fucking awesome the entire time.

Can't wait for Pulp Fiction tomorrow now :D

Next time, try watching the whole thing before posting.

Reservoir Dogs, Kill Bill, and Pulp Fiction are among my favorite movies but for some reason I have had no motivation to see Jackie Brown. Is it any good?

master15

Tkawsome said:
I have had no motivation to see Jackie Brown. Is it any good?

I was not even sure initially if I should dignify this with an answer. Tarantino's most mature, balanced and grounded piece. It's a shame he sort of negates talking about it much at all, mainly due to it being an adaptation and not a wholly original QT project, but give me Jackie Brown over Deathproof any day of the week.

chiba

InaudibleWhispa said:
If you're going to watch True Romance download True Romance - The Tarantino Cut. It puts the scenes back into the order of the screenplay (the movie was original disjointed like Pulp Fiction) and it retains the darker ending. Tarantino didn't disown True Romance, he gave (well, sold) the screenplay to Scott as a fan of his work. It's Natural Born Killers he hated.
In fact he even has a commentary on the True Romance unrated DVD in which he discusses his vision of the movie. Scott even filmed the movie as it should have been in the screenplay but got cold feet in the editing room, afraid it would confuse audiences. The movie works so much better in it's original order, dialogue has more meaning and the audience is teased. The cut is pretty much perfect as well, you'd think it was supposed to be like that if nobody told you it was a fan restoration.

holy shit, thanks so much dude. I've always loved true romance since I 1st saw it in the theatre when I was 15years old and would have never known about this. This'll make my weekend much more enjoyable:D

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
master15 said:
give me Jackie Brown over Deathproof any day of the week.

It's funny you say it like this because Jackie Brown and Death Proof are the only two Tarantino movies I like enough to revisit.

Fletcher

I saw Inglorious Bastards last Saturday. I was a little disappointed. Not that it's a bad movie, but it just didn't feel like a complete movie. Like a lot was missing from it.

Maybe I need to watch it again? Eli Roth was a really nice dude, though.

Monocle

louis89 said:
Wasn't that just Pulp Fiction?

I so wanted Uma Thurman to actually draw out the square in the air when she says "that'd be about square" to Vivica A. Fox in Kill Bill.
Do you remember how she drew three sides of a square during that line? Your post could be interpreted either way.

akachan ningen said:
OMG, you saw all five of his movies? How did you ever find the time?

You ever what?
Are you posting just to be testy? It's okay to admit it.

Arjen

Man i love QT, own all his movies on dvd, and i need them on blu-ray to.
I've seen Pulp Fiction about 20 times, never get sick of watching it.
Only movie i thought was kinda meh was Kill Bill 2, didn't really care for that one

louis89

Ninja99 said:
Do you remember how she drew three sides of a square during that line? Your post could be interpreted either way.
Yeah, but I wish the actual lines were visible on the screen, as a direct PF reference.

DieselRainbow

Neo Member
Pulp Fiction is my favourite ever film. I just love everything about it! Can't wait for it to come out on Blu-ray!
Tarantino films always make me wanna smoke Red Apple cigarettes too :lol
I loved Kill Bill and Death Proof so I really really can't wait for Inglorious Basterds.

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
After watching the making of Kill Bill on Bluray the other day, I bet QT is the biggest fucking douche ever.

Makes good movies though.

holmes182

Neo Member
Best line in True Romance:

How do you know his name? Why the fuck does he know your name? You piece of shit. You can forget about acting for the next twenty years, your fucking career is over. Take your fucking SAG card and burn it. You little cocksucker. I treated you like a son. You fucking stab me in the heart.

Dude should've got an oscar for this!!!

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
holmes182 said:
Best line in True Romance:

How do you know his name? Why the fuck does he know your name? You piece of shit. You can forget about acting for the next twenty years, your fucking career is over. Take your fucking SAG card and burn it. You little cocksucker. I treated you like a son. You fucking stab me in the heart.

Dude should've got an oscar for this!!!

Yeah, I'm definitely watching that one. :D

master15 said:
The more I watch Jackie Brown the more sad I am Tarantino considers this his "old man film" and doesn't think he will return to such a grounded and realistic material anytime soon.
Agreed. As much as I love his over-the-top style in films like Pulp Fiction, I consider Jackie Brown to be his masterpiece. It seems to be constantly overlooked by anyone who isn't a film buff which is a real shame, as I think if he continued in that direction he could be regarded even higher than he is today. Afterall, the Kill Bill films do have a lot of haters, and many people didn't get Death Proof.

Regardless, I cannot wait for Inglorious Basterds. First Tarantino film I'll see in a cinema. :D

andycapps

Loved Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction. He didn't direct From Dusk Til Dawn but I enjoyed it a lot.. Liked Kill Bill 1, didn't like the ending of 2. I thought he pulled a Shyamalan and did a cop-out ending, when I was expecting a big Bruce Lee versus Chuck Norris fight.. Death Proof was decent.

I think he's pretty hit or miss, actually. Had some great movies, and some movies that I thought were pretty average. Looking forward to Inglorious Basterds, but I hope that he doesn't ruin it.

eXistor

Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction give Tarantino immunity for life. That said I've loved all his films with the exception for Death Proof which I merely really enjoyed (second half was weak, save for the ending)

R0nn

Let me take this opportunity to say that I can't wait for Inglorious Basterds!

Seen all of his movies except for Death Proof. Own all of them, except for both Kill Bills since I was kind of expecting there to be some sort of overarching Kill Bill which weaves both volumes through one feature film. Doesn't look like it'll ever come though.

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
Foliorum Viridum said:
Agreed. As much as I love his over-the-top style in films like Pulp Fiction, I consider Jackie Brown to be his masterpiece. It seems to be constantly overlooked by anyone who isn't a film buff which is a real shame, as I think if he continued in that direction he could be regarded even higher than he is today. Afterall, the Kill Bill films do have a lot of haters, and many people didn't get Death Proof.

Regardless, I cannot wait for Inglorious Basterds. First Tarantino film I'll see in a cinema. :D

Same for me too. Definitely can't wait. Impressions have been good so far.

bolbronx

Just watched From Dusk Till Dawn again, and was wondering something.

The Big Kahuna Burger-thing, is that mentioned or shown in other movies besides FDTD and Pulp Fiction?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom