• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

R.I.P. Kid's WB. And so ends Saturday morning cartoon blocks. :[

Status
Not open for further replies.

Banned
Novid said:
If this is the case for animation, then why as of right now- no animated series DVD or the net has the same fad status as High School Musical 2? As for right now, outside of Broken Saints, i havent seen anything coming close to "great" on the net as for now-and Youtube has only created stars of a live action hilt (LonelyGirl and Chris Crocker) instead of animated (even though Sony is trying to change this)

As for cable...Outside of Jetix and Nicktoons Network, the main three networks only have 5 good cartoons between them that they make or own, 3 of them at Nick, 2 at Disney, and 1 at CN- the rest are taken fron canada, or Japan.
Besides Broken Saints(who came in at the right place and the right trime. Someone should have followed up on that) I don't believe anyone has seriously tried yet. Also expecting HSM2 number is a little unfair IMO. That's a phenom. It's like saying no one should invest in late night comedy animation becuase you can't bring in a profit like the Simpsons do.

That said, the few attempts at getting animation over on the Internet have been successful in my opinion. Channel Frederator is one of the more popular video podcasts on the net.

Novid

Banned
Besides Broken Saints(who came in at the right place and the right trime. Someone should have followed up on that) I don't believe anyone has seriously tried yet. Also expecting HSM2 number is a little unfair IMO. That's a phenom. It's like saying no one should invest in late night comedy animation becuase you can't bring in a profit like the Simpsons do.

That said, the few attempts at getting animation over on the Internet have been successful in my opinion. Channel Frederator is one of the more popular video podcasts on the net.

I kinda wish they did try, because It was good work, got a lot of fans...I think the only one close was that pesudo-anime/goth movie that is on stage6 and was shown at sundance.

As for HSM2, if its not for this movie and Hanna Montana's new episode that aired after it, David Ducovney does not call Cartoon Network and asks for a new live action series for that network. Its simple as that. I wish it was unfair because if it's Kim Possible or WITCH getting the same ratings, I would have no quams. But it was how much HSM2 made, and the SCANDEL afterwords that just proved to me that Anne Sweeny just want another Spears, Lohan & Hilton instead of the next Fanning/Cyrus. But thats a discussion for another day.

Frederator is also planning a movie of Samurai Jack, as they already have done good work with Danny Phantom/FOB...

Banned
Novid said:
I kinda wish they did try, because It was good work, got a lot of fans...I think the only one close was that pesudo-anime/goth movie that is on stage6 and was shown at sundance.

As for HSM2, if its not for this movie and Hanna Montana's new episode that aired after it, David Ducovney does not call Cartoon Network and asks for a new live action series for that network. Its simple as that. I wish it was unfair because if it's Kim Possible or WITCH getting the same ratings, I would have no quams. But it was how much HSM2 made, and the SCANDEL afterwords that just proved to me that Anne Sweeny just want another Spears, Lohan & Hilton instead of the next Fanning/Cyrus. But thats a discussion for another day.

Frederator is also planning a movie of Samurai Jack, as they already have done good work with Danny Phantom/FOB...
Oh no doubt. I soon as I saw the HSM number I knew animation on television was screwed. I didn't expect this though.

I mean the new Ben 10 series and the Goosebump repeats on CN were expected( and I like Goosebumps. A live action Ben 10...not so much) but I didn't expect KidsWB to effectively die this soon. Atleast not a month into the new season, and giving everything to 4Kids, who i thought was disliked by more than just bitter otaku's was another shock.

I guess in the end animation fans have to turn to more independent production studios like Frederator( who I think will be really screwed by this move, but that's another matter)

Edit: what pesudo-anime/goth movie are you talking about?

Novid

Banned
Kaiser Dämmerung said:

That was when Kids WB was hardcore. (Dan Terpin's death, The Original World's Finest, Terry From Batman Beyond and 10 from the Royal Flush Gang, yall KNOW what im talking about...)

They lost it when they couldnt finsh airing Astro Boy 2K3...

4Kids had some good ones too, mostly for TMNT but some of the things they left alone on Shaman King...eee...

and how can I forget Ultmate Muscle, and the episode...where they had a dude with an ass for a face...

Firestorm

cheese1024x768_s.jpg

;_;

Damn you 4Kids.

Novid

Banned
Oh no doubt. I soon as I saw the HSM number I knew animation on television was screwed. I didn't expect this though.

I mean the new Ben 10 series and the Goosebump repeats on CN were expected( and I like Goosebumps. A live action Ben 10...not so much) but I didn't expect KidsWB to effectively die this soon. Atleast not a month into the new season, and giving everything to 4Kids, who i thought was disliked by more than just bitter otaku's was another shock.

I guess in the end animation fans have to turn to more independent production studios like Frederator( who I think will be really screwed by this move, but that's another matter)

Edit: what pesudo-anime/goth movie are you talking about?

Its not nessarly that the otakus though they won, its how 4Kids shocked them in saying you cant kill them. This was more Cartoon Networks fault Kids WB got the boot than 4Kids taking the block, and since the future of Cartoon Network is uncertian at this point, the Otaku's have really got themselfs in a corner. You may have your "Good Dub" but what Foundation does it stand on? They dont think long term now do they?

As for Tom and Jerry...HMM...It might come back, but the show's second season takes a turn for the worse... But the first season was GREAT, because it was Cat Chasing Mouse, Cat Getting Pussy, Cat getting Chased by Dog, Old Southern Ghosts, Polar Bear and Mouse kicking the shit out of Cat and His Cousin, Cat Trying to get even more Pussy...:lol

cashman

Banned
Dreamfixx said:
Who cares. Think about all the time we wasted in front of the damn television as kids. Children should be outside enjoying their childhood.
Just remember this is MORNING programming.

RSLAEV

You poor bastards...most of you will never know what it's like to huddle under a blanket with your siblings in front of a television and watch The Mighty Orbots on a Saturday morning with a bowl of sugary cereal in hand and the rest of the house sound asleep.

killakiz

Why did they stop xmen mutant academy, it was getting so good, instead of actually finishing the fight they just cancled it right when it was coming to a close, bastards. oh and freakazoid sucks.

ParticleReality said:
Oh hey is this the one based in Detroit where its the future and Tin-Man is now a robot and shit?

Isn't that RoboCop? :D

I'm clueless about cable. Can you tune into the Disney Channel or Cartoon Network on Saturday mornings and get a simulation of the experience?

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Dreamfixx said:
Who cares. Think about all the time we wasted in front of the damn television as kids. Children should be outside enjoying their childhood.
I had a good time. And talked about it with my friends, also having good memories. Hell, how many friends did I make just because we liked the same TV shows? Can't even count and they're still friends today!
Just was part of the culture.

Esperado

First the kids today can't even watch any decent, hand-drawn cartoons, now they can't even watch them on Saturday morning? I am an atheist.

ninj4junpei said:
I feel sorry for the children of today.

Did you as a child ever get anything as cool as the transformers movie ? i personally think cartoons (samuari jack, justus league, the batman, and teenage muntant ninja turltles) are far more adult compared to the cartoons i was served in the 80's

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
People forget Cartoon Network? It sucks major ass but well... something is something.

Boomerang FTW!

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Calcaneus said:
Seriously, now there's officially no good saturday morning blocks on network tv.

This is not American.

Seriously. I remember getting up early to watch the Smurfs, Dungeons and Dragons, The Littles, etc. That is what Saturday morning was all about. Cartoons!!!! Now that is gone. Sucks man, it sucks.

killakiz said:
Why did they stop xmen mutant academy, it was getting so good, instead of actually finishing the fight they just cancled it right when it was coming to a close, bastards. oh and freakazoid sucks.
You're saying strange things, stop it.

mcgarrett

From a nostalgic point of view, of course it is a little sad. Remember the prime time Saturday morning preview shows that would introduce the upcoming season's lineup? They also ran ads in comic books.

But in an age where cartoons are pretty much available 24/7 on cable, is this really a big loss? I certainly don't think my nephew would want to go back to a time where a show like SpongeBob was only broadcast once a week. :)

Novid said:
Its not nessarly that the otakus though they won, its how 4Kids shocked them in saying you cant kill them. This was more Cartoon Networks fault Kids WB got the boot than 4Kids taking the block, and since the future of Cartoon Network is uncertian at this point, the Otaku's have really got themselfs in a corner. You may have your "Good Dub" but what Foundation does it stand on? They dont think long term now do they?
Crap, that is the last thing I want to hear.

Banned
Novid said:
I don't think the otaku's care. They seem perfectly okay letting western animation( atleast T.V animtion) die.

it's sad, I remember back in the toonami days western animation industry seem to be recovering, then all of a sudden *poof*

Blader

Eh, no big deal to me. Not like I've watched Kids WB in years...I'm barely awake for it.

Now Fox Kids...now that was a damn shame to lose. Spider-Man, Power Rangers, Batman, Digimon, etc. Saturday morning cartoons died for me with Fox Kids.

Tobor

You kids reminiscing about the 90's don't know what a real Saturday morning cartoon lineup looks like. Here's CBS from 1983:

lineup-ad.jpg

Somnid

Cartoon Network killed them off and I don't really blame them, hell they even picked up most of the dropped shows. CT is great. Why wait for Saturday morning when you can catch this stuff 24 hours a day?

Novid

Banned
I don't think the otaku's care. They seem perfectly okay letting western animation( atleast T.V animtion) die.

it's sad, I remember back in the toonami days western animation industry seem to be recovering, then all of a sudden *poof*

Thats why I said over at my site and on gamefaqs when I was there, if Otaku dont work with the rest of the animation community, They gonna lose there anime- and the dubbers will not have the cash to aquire product. Note, i dont hate all otaku i respect many of them here- i just dislike the Jump series/Toonami Otaku still hanging on to Funi and Viz's jocks.

Sadly for them, Viz, Funi and ADV are all aiming for the same glory that only 4Kids held with Pokemon and Yugi-Oh...But there never gonna be that way unless they produce non anime product, and the cable companies might not let them put there networks on the basic tier/digital tier, cause one- they dont have educational content, two they dont have domestic content, and three they are UNTESTED compared to Disney, Nick, Turner and 4Kids. I say this because after the RIAA ruling, I dont want the Japanese producers start getting an itch to go to US court and start winning cases.

Askia47

Novid said:
Thats why I said over at my site and on gamefaqs when I was there, if Otaku dont work with the rest of the animation community, They gonna lose there anime- and the dubbers will not have the cash to aquire product. Note, i dont hate all otaku i respect many of them here- i just dislike the Jump series/Toonami Otaku still hanging on to Funi and Viz's jocks.

Sadly for them, Viz, Funi and ADV are all aiming for the same glory that only 4Kids held with Pokemon and Yugi-Oh...But there never gonna be that way unless they produce non anime product, and the cable companies might not let them put there networks on the basic tier/digital tier, cause one- they dont have educational content, two they dont have domestic content, and three they are UNTESTED compared to Disney, Nick, Turner and 4Kids. I say this because after the RIAA ruling, I dont want the Japanese producers start getting an itch to go to US court and start winning cases.

RIAA Ruling? Which one? ANd with what shows is Funi and viz trying to use as another pokemon /yugi oh? naruto and one piece? Are you saying its the Otaku community thats hurting the way western animation scence? Im a confused by what you are saying.

Novid

Banned
Tobor said:
You kids reminiscing about the 90's don't know what a real Saturday morning cartoon lineup looks like. Here's CBS from 1983:

lineup-ad.jpg

Ah shit that...fuck...memories. :_|

Just an aside, That was the year (1982 when they did the new advertisments for 1983) CBS ended Captian Kangeroo, and CBS has NEVER SINCE been succesful with news in the daily morning block until 1992, and after Smith and Zahn has continued to FAIL. Thats when the slide really took place for the network and it never recoverd until they got the NFL back after losing it in 1993, and Surivior came along.

oh man, this is really bad... As if saturday morning wasn't bare enough in Canada already. We only just got this block up North, before that it was limited to season late Teletoon airdates.

:(

mollipen

God, I'd hate to be a kid now versus when I was. We:

- had cartoons on Saturday mornings
- I ate sugary cereal with marshmallows while watching but didn't get fat because I was actually active otherwise
- my friends and I could run around the neighborhood pretending to shoot each other with toy guys without (a) getting taken down by the cops or (b) kidnapped
- I had unbelievable toy options and stores like Toys R Us or Children's Palace that had rows and rows of awesome toys instead of the garbage they have now
- you could have play equipment at our schools without worry of the school getting sued if a kid got hurt
- getting into a fight meant, at most, maybe getting a black eye and in trouble with your parents / the principle
- you could hug or touch a cute girl at school, or tell her she was cute, without being accused of sexual harassment
- I was just the right age to enjoy the amazement of the birth of home video games, especially the NES
- I could actually go Trick or Treating for blocks around my neighborhood without fear, instead of being led around a mall by my parents

...just to name a few thing. Obviously, some of those things are still possible now for kids, but the world (country) just feels like such a different place.

Novid

Banned
Askia47 said:
RIAA Ruling? Which one? ANd with what shows is Funi and viz trying to use as another pokemon /yugi oh? naruto and one piece? Are you saying its the Otaku community thats hurting the way western animation scence? Im a confused by what you are saying.

The one posted on O-T, where a Minnasota Mother must pay nealy $250,000 for 22 songs she shared on a peer-to-peer network.

As for the Otaku, i dont want to make it long. But the otaku who now like one piece, naruoto (mostly from Toonami) are really jaded about western animation. So much so, they have co-opted alot of the words that had diffrent meanings just several years ago (example, Hentai as a cover word of all animated "blue" works) Its a very loaded subject, but to be brief; The Otaku's want anime to be bigger than life in north america. Manga is huge right now, due to the fact Comics screwed up in the 1990's. Anime however is very diffuclt to state- they want one show to have a prime time spot on american TV. That has been the goal ever since Sailor Moon. But, they cant do this while at the same time fighting petty little battles with Saban and later 4Kids over edits they do not control.

I believe that when Escoflone was canned by Fox Kids, the majorty of Otaku had it in for the rest of the animation business. So they left, started to work in bringing anime in. As John Layford said, he wants to use ADV as a wedge, a anti-disney. Many took that to heart because he was the one that "ended" Carl Masak and Jerry Beck's Streamline Productions, and he was going to be the none that retrofit the american animation into a form where they can get Family Guy like ratings with anime on a prime time spot on a major network.

But instead of working with people who been in the business for years, Like Beck, and Al Kahn of 4Kids to get there wish, they are fighting them tooth and nail. If it's not campains to get One Piece off the hands of 4Kids, it's DeviantArts over glut of anime pictures. Do you not think if they have worked with the networks and the other animation/cartooning companies- they would have gotten there wish now, instead of Genon going out of business?

Novid

Banned
monchi-kun said:
aren't kids rolling out of bed watching DVDs or playing videogames anyways?

Maybe they have too much homework on fridays (i seen it)...I dont think the DS or PSP is hurting the biz as much as Disney's Gurrrl Power shows are.

i'd argue games are starting to hurt the biz, i go to costco on saturdays and I see kids with their GBAs or Nintendo DS systems. That's the new saturday morning cartoon right there, a reason for you to wake up early.

MMaRsu

someone PLEASE, where the hell can I find Mad Jack The Pirate ( cartoon ) movies? Or even on youtube I can't seem to find anything anywhere and I fucking love that cartoon !!!! Someone give me a link :(

Banned
Novid said:
The one posted on O-T, where a Minnasota Mother must pay nealy $250,000 for 22 songs she shared on a peer-to-peer network.

As for the Otaku, i dont want to make it long. But the otaku who now like one piece, naruoto (mostly from Toonami) are really jaded about western animation. So much so, they have co-opted alot of the words that had diffrent meanings just several years ago (example, Hentai as a cover word of all animated "blue" works) Its a very loaded subject, but to be brief; The Otaku's want anime to be bigger than life in north america. Manga is huge right now, due to the fact Comics screwed up in the 1990's. Anime however is very diffuclt to state- they want one show to have a prime time spot on american TV. That has been the goal ever since Sailor Moon. But, they cant do this while at the same time fighting petty little battles with Saban and later 4Kids over edits they do not control.

I believe that when Escoflone was canned by Fox Kids, the majorty of Otaku had it in for the rest of the animation business. So they left, started to work in bringing anime in. As John Layford said, he wants to use ADV as a wedge, a anti-disney. Many took that to heart because he was the one that "ended" Carl Masak and Jerry Beck's Streamline Productions, and he was going to be the none that retrofit the american animation into a form where they can get Family Guy like ratings with anime on a prime time spot on a major network.

But instead of working with people who been in the business for years, Like Beck, and Al Kahn of 4Kids to get there wish, they are fighting them tooth and nail. If it's not campains to get One Piece off the hands of 4Kids, it's DeviantArts over glut of anime pictures. Do you not think if they have worked with the networks and the other animation/cartooning companies- they would have gotten there wish now, instead of Genon going out of business?
For the fucking truth, all of that. Actually I have a little story myself.

I remember a year or to ago, there was a seminar with a producer who works at Willaim Street. After his lecture about the indutry, breaking in, etc... was over he talked a bit about the anime programming on adult swim, and how it was nigh impossible to please the fanbase. They obtain a new show( at the time, S-Cry-ed) the show is bashed before it airs. They obtain Case Closed, their praised for it, but the show still has terrible ratings even though the torrents for the shows are huge.

So many anime is fansubbed that ADV, bandai and Geneon purposely try to limit the amount of shows they allow to air on AS, becuase they are deathly afraid of what will happen to the DVD sales of an english dubbed anime, if it's already all over the internet. Only shows with a big american following like Ghost in the Shell, or a shounen have a chance

He said Adult Swim was originally supposed to be spearheaded by the Anime, not the Sunday stuff, but the otaku's never held up their deal and AS Saturday flounderd while AS Sunday rose. Even while this is happening, they are still being asked to air more anime, more ambitious anime, and their have been serious requests for japanese dubbed anime to air in america, even though half of their line-up at the time was sinking.( i bet they still are) the otaku's ask for to much a lot of the time, and they don't have the pull they think they have.

They remind me of the american comic book fans, who hate manga and dislike marvel/DC whenever they see them try to attract that audience, as if expanding and getting nw fans is a bad thing.

Novid

Banned
For the fucking truth, all of that. Actually I have a little story myself.

I remember a year or to ago, there was a seminar with a producer who works at Willaim Street. After his lecture about the indutry, breaking in, etc... was over he talked a bit about the anime programming on adult swim, and how it was nigh impossible to please the fanbase. They obtain a new show( at the time, S-Cry-ed) the show is bashed before it airs. They obtain Case Closed, their praised for it, but the show still has terrible ratings even though the torrents for the shows are huge.

So many anime is fansubbed that ADV, bandai and Geneon purposely try to limit the amount of shows they allow to air on AS, becuase they are deathly afraid of what will happen to the DVD sales of an english dubbed anime, if it's already all over the internet. Only shows with a big american following like Ghost in the Shell, or a shounen have a chance

He said Adult Swim was originally supposed to be spearheaded by the Anime, not the Sunday stuff, but the otaku's never held up their deal and AS Saturday flounderd while AS Sunday rose. Even while this is happening, they are still being asked to air more anime, more ambitious anime, and their have been serious requests for japanese dubbed anime to air in america, even though half of their line-up at the time was sinking.( i bet they still are) the otaku's ask for to much a lot of the time, and they don't have the pull they think they have.

They remind me of the american comic book fans, who hate manga and dislike marvel/DC whenever they see them try to attract that audience, as if expanding and getting nw fans is a bad thing.

So there hurting there own buisness. Sad really. Because if they would have just fought the right battles, there would have been forcing the american companies to have there own product and then things move forward. But now its been stuck on 2003 for so LONG and they dont even see that the cure for all of this lies with themselfs and not nessarlly the dubbers nor the networks. It doesnt even HELP there argument when Iniushia is still highranked after its 5th restart.

I hear that Sci-Fi's anime block is doing semi well, and because of the same old same old over at AS (Plus, the loss of the Futurerama DVD rights) they will expand and hopefully since there more connected to Manga ENT (who Ironicly via Starz Media ownership of Film Roman who does the animation for Family Guy, owns Manga), the same crap AS has to deal with ADV, Viz, Funi and Bandai's product wont happen to them.

Tobor said:

lineup-ad.jpg

Great times!

I still remember how I would do my best to get up to watch Muppet Babies. Man CBS, ABC and NBC gave so many choices it would be hard at times to decide what to watch. One reason why most of us could eat the cereal without getting overweight was due to a lack of remote controls. :D

Also, this thread needs more ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_haRIsvqvG4

RyuHayate

Oh man : (

Kid's WB was a HUGE part of my childhood. I loved watching Pokemon, Batman Beyond, Max Steele, X-Man Evolved...

Man, where the fuck did the years go?

mollipen

RyuHayate said:
Oh man : (

Kid's WB was a HUGE part of my childhood. I loved watching Pokemon, Batman Beyond, Max Steele, X-Man Evolved...

Man, where the fuck did the years go?

...god I feel old.

J2 Cool

Good move imo. The whole thing has been static for too long. Any change for tv animation over here is good change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom