• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

R.I.P. Kid's WB. And so ends Saturday morning cartoon blocks. :[

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrEvil

not a medical professional
1980s-90s were the best for kids shows.

Lets run down the list (animated and not):

Polkadot Door
Mr. Dressup
Mr. Rogers Neighbourhood
Romper Room
Today's Special
Darkwing Duck
Chip N' Dale's Rescue Rangers
Goof Troop
All the batman cartoons
All the spiderman cartoons
Tiny Toon Adventures
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
Samurai Pizza Cats
Captain Planet
Gargoyles
Animaniacs
Looney Tunes
Bugs Bunny & Tweety Show
Mighty Morphin Power Rangers (the original, not the fifty thousand in space remakes)
Sesame Street (before the CG bullshit)
Reading Rainbow
Earthworm Jim
Super Mario Bros. Super Show
Super Mario World
Sonic The Hedgehog
Captain N
The Tick

There's more that I've surely missed, but what the fuck to kids have today?
Dora the Explorer, Teletubbies, and bastardized versions of our childhood past.

And they wonder why kids don't know shit, and why they all have ADD... Because the TV they watch is fucking stupid, there's NO educational value to something like teletubbies, but it's so fucking retarded.

I learned SO MUCH watching reading rainbow and sesame street, sigh.

If they had a cable TV channel that showed NOTHING but 80s cartoons/early 90s shows on saturdays, as well as most of the day on weekdays, the world would be a better place.

Novid

Banned
Oh the other one i tried to metion earlyer was We Are the Strange from M.dot Strange...

Now as for this, i can say with all honestly when my sister was alive and whenever i find time to baby sit my cousins, the only shows i sense were of any merit in the modern era was Early Blues Clues, Lazy Town, Gerald McBoing Boing (the new one) and Yo Gabba Gabba. Dont get me started on dora and her...X-Woman Divafiedcation in one webcomic i will not mention here. (deals with powerpuff girls you see him in devient art...ugh) Little Einstains has some fault...Veggie Tales has been edited to hell and back...ooo dont get me started on "Elmo Street"

DrEvil

Blader5489 said:

pretty much anything involving elmo now, takes place on a bluescreen with cel-shaded background elements, totally ruined the show.

Not to mention ernie and bert are no longer in a 'civil partnership' if you know what i mean.

Linkhero1

UPDATE 3 (Oct 4, 2007): James Harvey of World's Finest Online has been provided additional information on the futures of some of the current and upcoming Kids WB! programs. His source states that "4Kids Entertainment will begin programming The CW Network’s Saturday morning schedule in September 2008. Until then, the schedule will most likely remain as it is now (with the exception of midseason replacements The Spectacular Spider-Man and The World of Quest entering the slate in early 2008)." He goes on to state that series The Batman and Legion of Super Heroes futures depend on orders being placed for the show, which could mean they may air on the 4Kids-branded programming block, or they could end up elsewhere. Classic series Superman: The Animated Series, Batman: The Animated Series and Pinky and the Brain currently air or will be airing on Disney's Toon Disney channel, so this really adds to possible opportunities for these shows along with any future Warner Bros Animation-productions.

http://news.toonzone.net/article.php?ID=19175

kammy

Banned
RSLAEV said:
You poor bastards...most of you will never know what it's like to huddle under a blanket with your siblings in front of a television and watch The Mighty Orbots on a Saturday morning with a bowl of sugary cereal in hand and the rest of the house sound asleep.

I'm not even from the US and remember that. I loved being a kid :D

Same stuff is happening the UK now. Its not as bad because we have loads of free to air childrens shows, so all thats happened is that kids get that saturday morning buzz every day, all day which kinda makes it lose its magic.

Still remmeber the days of watching duck tales, talespin, tazmania, animaniacs, hero turtles (we're too pussy for ninja tutles)/

kammy

Banned
Tobor said:
You kids reminiscing about the 90's don't know what a real Saturday morning cartoon lineup looks like. Here's CBS from 1983:

lineup-ad.jpg

I'm lucky, I remember both 80s and 90s kids shows IMO the 80s were ace but 90s were like the 80s but grown up and with less morals and no pussy shit like muppet babies.

Dahbomb

Dreamfixx said:
Who cares. Think about all the time we wasted in front of the damn television as kids. Children should be outside enjoying their childhood.
It was either that or wake up late at 11 anyway (that's the time that these blocks end right?). Not like there was much to do outside at 8 AM anyway.
God, I'd hate to be a kid now versus when I was. We:

- had cartoons on Saturday mornings
- I ate sugary cereal with marshmallows while watching but didn't get fat because I was actually active otherwise
- my friends and I could run around the neighborhood pretending to shoot each other with toy guys without (a) getting taken down by the cops or (b) kidnapped
- I had unbelievable toy options and stores like Toys R Us or Children's Palace that had rows and rows of awesome toys instead of the garbage they have now
- you could have play equipment at our schools without worry of the school getting sued if a kid got hurt
- getting into a fight meant, at most, maybe getting a black eye and in trouble with your parents / the principle
- you could hug or touch a cute girl at school, or tell her she was cute, without being accused of sexual harassment
- I was just the right age to enjoy the amazement of the birth of home video games, especially the NES
- I could actually go Trick or Treating for blocks around my neighborhood without fear, instead of being led around a mall by my parents

...just to name a few thing. Obviously, some of those things are still possible now for kids, but the world (country) just feels like such a different place.
:lol Amen to that.

Though I would say that kids nowadays have better options when it comes to video games at least. You also forgot all the Disney classics that are non-existant nowadays. Man when I saw Lion King.... I was truly amazed.

alaria

This sucks :( I definitely spent many a morning watching Kids WB. In fact, all the cartoons on WPIX (NY-area WB) were pretty awesome. Some of the Kids' WB shows were pretty mindblowing - Gargoyles, Batman: TAS, Pinky and the Brain. These shows were smart, well-crafted, and fairly complex (and hilarious, depending on the show!). They were good for kids like me to watch. What will they watch now? :(

Lhadatt

Novid: So is this High School Musical BS the reason CN is changing their focus? What's really going on there?

If CN would just sink a bunch of money into high-quality animated stuff (no, not Lazlo.. sorry, whatever quality Rocko's had was clearly from Nick's writers, not the creator), they could avoid this whole embarrassing live action thing.

Cheebs

kammy said:
no pussy shit like muppet babies.
Muppet Babies was fucking awesome.

I LOOOVED all the movie parody episodes. They did classic movies no kid at the time would ever had heard of. It was awesome.

Eteric Rice

Cartoon Network went to the shitter to. No more Samurai Jack, Dexter's Laboratory, PPG, etc. All replaced with shitty stuff for the most part. :(

j-wood

Man...I feel bad for the kids of today. The cartoons I grew up on made me who I am

Rocko's modern life
Ren and Stimpy
Angry Beavers
Are You Afraid Of The Dark?
Spider-Man
X-men
Beast Wars
Ect.

lol...good times....good times...

j-wood

DrEvil said:
1980s-90s were the best for kids shows.

Lets run down the list (animated and not):

Polkadot Door
Mr. Dressup
Mr. Rogers Neighbourhood
Romper Room
Today's Special
Darkwing Duck
Chip N' Dale's Rescue Rangers
Goof Troop
All the batman cartoons
All the spiderman cartoons

Tiny Toon Adventures
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
Samurai Pizza Cats
Captain Planet
Gargoyles
Animaniacs
Looney Tunes
Bugs Bunny & Tweety Show
Mighty Morphin Power Rangers (the original, not the fifty thousand in space remakes)
Sesame Street (before the CG bullshit)
Reading Rainbow
Earthworm Jim
Super Mario Bros. Super Show
Super Mario World
Sonic The Hedgehog
Captain N
The Tick

There's more that I've surely missed, but what the fuck to kids have today?
Dora the Explorer, Teletubbies, and bastardized versions of our childhood past.

And they wonder why kids don't know shit, and why they all have ADD... Because the TV they watch is fucking stupid, there's NO educational value to something like teletubbies, but it's so fucking retarded.

I learned SO MUCH watching reading rainbow and sesame street, sigh.

If they had a cable TV channel that showed NOTHING but 80s cartoons/early 90s shows on saturdays, as well as most of the day on weekdays, the world would be a better place.

Not having seen these shows in forever makes me sad :(

Novid

Banned
Lhadatt said:
Novid: So is this High School Musical BS the reason CN is changing their focus? What's really going on there?

If CN would just sink a bunch of money into high-quality animated stuff (no, not Lazlo.. sorry, whatever quality Rocko's had was clearly from Nick's writers, not the creator), they could avoid this whole embarrassing live action thing.

It its just one of the factors, but this goes back to two major issues...The Johnny Quest Series, and the Thundercats series.

The Johnny Quest issues (Warner wanting it more "darker" Turner wanting it more like the 1960 series) was one of the major reasons Warner didnt want to deal with Turner. Toonami and CN was going to be more of a part of Kids WB near the early days of the block, but Warners said no- Pokemon was a huge success in Syndcation, and they wanted that series badly. Turner went Balistic because they were beating MTV in major teen spots and Kids WB was at best struggling against Fox Kids...it just got worse from there.

The Thundercats issue is very loaded. 4Kids (Was once called Lesure Creations, which started back in 1970, after a split from Rankin Bass i believe) and Lorimar-Telepictures (which got asorbed into the Time Warner Family, which sold the Lorimar studio to Sony) Financed the series. Back in 2000-2001, a AWN articale stated that Al Kahn wanted to do the Thundercats series. But Warners said no. Then he buys the Fox Kids block. He asked again- Warners refused, and then Overpayed the Estate of Tobin J Wolf (who's daugther is the executor of the estate, she lives in Hawaii) for rights to do the comic book series of the franchise. In turn, Warner Brothers GIVES the rights of the Upcoming Kids WB TMNT series to 4Kids to placate 4Kids. They do a good enough job on it. He still wants the Thundercats series.

Then comes three annousements, one a new series of the Thundercats, two a DVD reliece of the 80's series and three, a planned movie of the Thundercats (which is still going on). At the same time, 4Kids is asking Ninty for internet streaming rights to Pokemon to showcase on his new 4Kids.TV (now 4kidstv.com) but Ninty said no, and then wanted out of the contract...Ninty's original plan was to keep it on Kids WB...but Al Kahn has always wanted the Thundercats, and so pretty much- Pokemon stays on Kids WB, but The Thundercats comes with me. Betsy McGowen (former president of Kids WB) says no, and shifts the contract to CN, which in turn, makes a NEW contract with Ninty and the Pokemon company. That in turn forces Al Kahn to move most of his product back to Fox- Leaving only the block with Warner Brothers Animation Shows.

Warner Brothers Animation, has had a very hard time. With the dispointing Back In Action, Sander Shwartz needed something to save his regime. This is were the Loontics come in. It was a disastar. It took a lot of money away from WBA, and force the "firing" for Sander. Over in Cartoon Network, it was getting worse. Toonami was being shortned from weekdays to saturdays (Over the Janet Jackson issue, which is a lie). The Otakus (as you seen in another post) was mucking up the place with wanting of more serious anime, but then going to the fansubs, and the biggest hits were being canned left and right. Disney Channel was surging. And then on top of this, massive corpate changes at CN left things with a bad taste in peoples mouths.

Live Action was becoming big because YOU-Tube democrotised (in some aspects) the Live Action/Reality field. It doesnt help matters when half your stars in High School Musical dont even care about the job/dont want to be labled as "Zinestra" but still gets the ratings...

Im still trying to do more investgations on this, but what I have come up is that Time Warner now has three Choices for CN, they sell the network to Starz Media (just like they did the Braves) and cut there losses with Turner. They can rename CN to Kids WB Network, and Boomerang to a New CN. Or, they do nothing at this point until they can promote one of williems streets boys to the head of CN. As for 4Kids, as long as The Thundercats Movie is in play, Al Kahn wants money from it, if he cant get the rights TO It, and Warners are sick of his wanting the product. But they dont want to give it up, even despite the fact they havent made a good animated product until very recently.

HSM2 is 75% of the reason CN wants to become more live action, but it has a whole history behind it.

More time for kids to be online and get suckered in by predators :( growing up in the 90's was great.

Also...Darkwing duck.....lets get dangerous!!!!

DrEvil

mikeybwright said:
More time for kids to be online and get suckered in by predators :( growing up in the 90's was great.

Also...Darkwing duck.....lets get dangerous!!!!

Shit, I got the internets in 1995/96, I was 11... it was so innocent and pure back then... no predators that I was ever aware of, ICQ was like the ONLY chat program that was worth while to use, and the only online games out there were games like Sniper (SubSpace/Continuum), those were the days.

I "matured" during the birth of commercial internet, and it's sad to see how kids who are growing up with it now, are just truly fucked up in the head - this point is further solidified with those stupid phone commericals (IDK My BFF JILL?) -- which I'm sure we all hate, but the kids love.

ghstwrld

4Kids? Meh

Anyway, cartoons in America have been going down hill for a while now. I still can't believe Pepper Anne, Tarzan, Talespin, Marsupilami, and Histeria are off the air. WTF? If Avatar the last airbender is ever taken off, what will there will left to watch?

Ketchup Boy

poor guys, i feel sorry for kids today. watching saturday morning cartoons and playing snes were the best times of my life.

Banned
Novid said:
I hear that Sci-Fi's anime block is doing semi well, and because of the same old same old over at AS (Plus, the loss of the Futurerama DVD rights) they will expand and hopefully since there more connected to Manga ENT (who Ironicly via Starz Media ownership of Film Roman who does the animation for Family Guy, owns Manga), the same crap AS has to deal with ADV, Viz, Funi and Bandai's product wont happen to them.
Really, do you know how the deal at Sci-Fi works? I never investigated them, becuase to be honest I didn't think they would last more than a month.

ghstwrld said:
4Kids? Meh

Anyway, cartoons in America have been going down hill for a while now. I still can't believe Pepper Anne, Tarzan, Talespin, Marsupilami, and Histeria are off the air. WTF? If Avatar the last airbender is ever taken off, what will there will left to watch?
Nothing. Absolutely nothing.

Economan

ghstwrld said:
4Kids? Meh

lol, Pepper Anne. Me and my friend used to make fun of her boyish sister Moose.

Novid

Banned
Really, do you know how the deal at Sci-Fi works? I never investigated them, becuase to be honest I didn't think they would last more than a month.

As far as I know, they work with Manga ENT now, since there not as favored with the Otaku. They have been trying to get others, but ADV is being a bitch about it, Bandai wants more days (i.e. like adult swim has now) and Viz wants multiable TV deals through out the Universal Networks (I shit you not) but NBC wants none of it. Since Manga via Mr Brofman was once owned by Uni, they have a better relationship with them. The ratings are enough for Bonnie Bonner to consider an expasion along with there own Animated series (Tripping the Rift and there is one other) to compleate with Adult Swim. They are DEADLY serious this time around, and i dont doubt ever since now Sci-Fi has gotten some clout with Galatica, they want to do this. They might get really lucky too since CN is in crisis.

When they first started, they aired Macross, Tokko and Noein, then after the Macross OVA ended, Street Fighter Two (V Series) And aired three movies, Ninja Scroll, The new Highlander Anime Movie, and the Original Ghost In the Shell. Honestly, Sci-Fi was the best network over the summer and not Disney nor TNT even though they had the ratings.

Lhadatt

Novid: Holy crap, that's a convoluted mess. :lol

Why the focus on Thundercats, though? The He-Man revival didn't last too long, so what makes them think they'll do a good job with Thundercats?

It seems to me what they ought to do is fire the current heads of WBA/CN/Kids WB and replace them with Williams Street guys. They haven't always had the best ideas, but it seems to me that they could bring the whole animation division's fortunes around pretty quickly. Give them an actual budget and they could probably turn the situation around.

Novid

Banned
Lhadatt said:
Novid: Holy crap, that's a convoluted mess. :lol

Why the focus on Thundercats, though? The He-Man revival didn't last too long, so what makes them think they'll do a good job with Thundercats?

It seems to me what they ought to do is fire the current heads of WBA/CN/Kids WB and replace them with Williams Street guys. They haven't always had the best ideas, but it seems to me that they could bring the whole animation division's fortunes around pretty quickly. Give them an actual budget and they could probably turn the situation around.

Its intresting about the Thundercats and why such a bloody, ideolical "war" for this series. As more information comes out, about TopCraft (we find out they are one-half of the legendary Studio Ghilbi, and its becoming very apparent that Miyaki had know some small details to rumors of actually working on the 30 some episodes of Thundercats at the same time he was directing Naussica) and PAC (The animatiors of Tenchi Muyo) the stock has risen on the Franchise many times over. Doing a new series to the same and possibly beyond the same caliber of the 80's series is near paramount for success. At the same time, if that (New Movie planned for the series) does succeed (Like the Transformers movie has) then you can expect a new Billion Dollar Franchise. The He-Man revival falls back to Mattel's inability to sell product...there was a 3rd season but Mattel played hard ball.

As for Williams Street...when it comes between ATL and NYC, NYC always wins, so Bewkes isnt gonna let Turner start bringing Williams Street boys up the Time Warner ladder. Besides, when The Closer, Tyler Perry's House of Payne, and others are doing well under him and CN is falturing, who you gonna promote if your Bewkes? That being said, The people who have CN now, were just interns when Toonami started, so its even more a slap in the face for Williams Street. I know they would have turned CN around in 6 weeks and it wouldnt be as anti-logical as it is now.

Banned
With the success of Transformers and TMNT, I can understand the desire for Thundercats.

The guys at William Street are pretty much my last bastion of hope. AS has been nothing buy successful, and I wouldn't be suprised to see Mike Lazzo and other WS guys gaining more control over all of CN over the years.

The best we can hope for now though, is that these live action shows bomb completely.

Edit:Novid, you really think there is such a disconnect between the ATL and NYC offices in Warner?

the final blow came when a major sponsor, cereal manufacturer Kellogg’s, announced it was withdrawing all its advertising due to recent government pressure regarding child-oriented breakfast foods.

so much fail, and lose.

vumpler

If You Can't Beat 'Em, Talk Shit About 'Em
Shit it saddens me so much to not see Saturday fox kids. My parents divorced when I was 4. My mom had custody and I went to see my father every other weekend. Nothing is better than the memories I have waking up on Saturday morning at 5am (since I had a nintendo at my dad's house and my mom wouldn't buy me one I couldn't sleep and would get up to play mario or whatever game my dad would take me to rent for the weekend.)

After I woke up I would play games until about 8 and then my dad would wake up. From 8 to what seems like 12 we would watch cartoons EVERY Saturday and Sunday I was over.

We watched every Spider Man and X-men. They were all awesome and left us in suspense until the next time I came over. We did this throughout spider-man's whole run. I remember even sitting there for the show finale and watching Spidey hang out with Stan Lee.

This shit gets me somewhat emotional just thinking back. How much of a bonding experience cartoons and video games can be if applied correctly.

But lets be honest now I play halo 3 like a fucking savage and my dad is hooked on WoW. We're 600 miles away and I'm 2 years from my doctorate and he's got diabetes and hypertension :lol

The key is "if applied correctly."

Hell I was playing Skate or Die 2 at 4 and kept having to get my dad and ask him "what is this telling me to do?" There was much reading in that game it made it miserable when you can't read yet :lol.

/rant

It's strange, how in this sea of garbage someone managed to make Avatar. It really is the first north american animated show I've seen since the mid-90s that is really worth watching. It's even stranger how no one has even bothered to pay attention to its keys to success: invest in real animation, produce complex characters that challenge the young kids that watch it to think about the nature of good/evil as more than black/white, and produce a story and context that is non-cliche and somewhat original (and don't make your characters look deformed, as in the new over-stylized look that more or less defines the 00s)

oh, and this thread is missing Phantom 2040 (pre-production staff changes) in the shows that made the 90s awesome :D hurry up and put a box set out already!

Banned
VultureDude said:
It's strange, how in this sea of garbage someone managed to make Avatar. It really is the first north american animated show I've seen since the mid-90s that is really worth watching. It's even stranger how no one has even bothered to pay attention to its keys to success: invest in real animation, produce complex characters that challenge the young kids that watch it to think about the nature of good/evil as more than black/white, and produce a story and context that is non-cliche and somewhat original (and don't make your characters look deformed, as in the new over-stylized look that more or less defines the 00s)

oh, and this thread is missing Phantom 2040 (pre-production staff changes) in the shows that made the 90s awesome :D hurry up and put a box set out already!
Avatar is a strange fluke in the system. IMO the only reason Avatar exists is becuase Nick, for some reason can't seem to be able to obtain any decent anime aimed at a higher target audience than they normally aim at, so they decided to make their own.

Turned out to a huge success, becuase of all the things you mentioned but I doubt anyone will learn from there example(Not even Nick. Look at how they advertise that show)

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Lhadatt said:
It seems to me what they ought to do is fire the current heads of WBA/CN/Kids WB and replace them with Williams Street guys.

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo. Having any of the Williams Streets dude head CN is quite possibly the worst thing that could happen (which is saying a lot considering the state of CN currently). Aside from Harvey Birdman and Robot Chicken, what's the last decent thing they ever made? Remember, these are the same geniuses that came up with 12 oz. mouse. My general rule for watching animation is that, if it takes more effort to watch than it does to animate, it's fucking garbage.

Novid said:
The Johnny Quest issues (Warner wanting it more "darker" Turner wanting it more like the 1960 series) was one of the major reasons Warner didnt want to deal with Turner.

But didn't Turner eventually make the series more darker (I assume we're talking about the Real Adventures of Johnny Quest)?

Cheebs said:
Muppet Babies was fucking awesome.

I LOOOVED all the movie parody episodes. They did classic movies no kid at the time would ever had heard of. It was awesome.

Hell yeah. Some of the songs were pretty damn good too.

Novid

Banned
With the success of Transformers and TMNT, I can understand the desire for Thundercats.

The guys at William Street are pretty much my last bastion of hope. AS has been nothing buy successful, and I wouldn't be suprised to see Mike Lazzo and other WS guys gaining more control over all of CN over the years.

The best we can hope for now though, is that these live action shows bomb completely.

Edit:Novid, you really think there is such a disconnect between the ATL and NYC offices in Warner?

Disconnect is being nice.

See whats happening with CNN? Yeah, Even Though I like Glenn Beck, Many in CNN cant stand him and it was more NYC that wanted him than ATL. They gave him such and such a contract, and there have been people working for them longer than Beck has that dont even have that kind of clout. But then again theres Nancy Grace, but ever since the Closer became a hit- she has gone up with it (if not her ratings, her star power pretty much) If you ever heard the story between Case, Levin and Turner- this is why they are still fighting in the corpate side.

Its more of a very huge marital seperation, but there staying for the Kids...

Oh and the Live Action shows are bombing. Badly. Naruto is still the highest rated show on CN.

But didn't Turner eventually make the series more darker (I assume we're talking about the Real Adventures of Johnny Quest)?

Turner started to lose control of H-B Studios back in 1997, and Warners started to get itchings for it (come on, they were hotter, had a new network, a new kids block) so some episodes wanted to be...well Batman TAS like...and Turner didnt want that.

Avatar is a strange fluke in the system. IMO the only reason Avatar exists is becuase Nick, for some reason can't seem to be able to obtain any decent anime aimed at a higher target audience than they normally aim at, so they decided to make their own.

Its worse because before Avatar, they didnt want to have anything to do with Anime at all (even made a Mockery out of Toonami's success in an ad several years ago) but this was in the DBZ era, and even Disney got some itches.

It was not until HSM1 that the tides turned to live action. If Al Kahn was given a chance with One Piece it would have been a non issue, but- there hasnt been a successful animated series out side of spongebob, and even it started to get tired...It wasnt until Disney got rid of Eisner, put Iger on top and made Sweeny The President of Disney-ABC studios they started on the comeback trail. They had some good live action series, but it was there comdies that made money. It was the TGIF thing that made ABC very successful in the 1990's (but TGIF the first go around was not pretenous)...but this time, it was given a how would we call it, a Saved-By-The-Bell/Degrassi face lift, with a bit of Gurrl Power thrown in. Dergassi changed the face of how Teen Drama should be done, SBTB was well written at times...combine the two...it doesnt mesh well, but gets the ratings.

Oblivion

Novid said:
Oh and the Live Action shows are bombing. Badly.

Awesome.

Turner started to lose control of H-B Studios back in 1997, and Warners started to get itchings for it (come on, they were hotter, had a new network, a new kids block) so some episodes wanted to be...well Batman TAS like...and Turner didnt want that.

Well, I was asking if those episodes got turned over to Warners, or if HB still handled it.

Zapages

All I can remember is Real Adventures of Johnny Quest rocked...

I can't believe how CN has fallen from the great times of diversity in their animation blocks to the split of Toonami and Adult Swim. The creation of Adult Swim caused kidification of Toonami.

But I rarely watch it now a days. As there is nothing but anime that most people can watch online if you know what I mean. Back in the day, there was no youtube/dailymotion/veoh or any other type of video hosting sites. So the only way to catch this show was through from watching them on Toonami or buying VCDs from China Town or expensive DVDs at those times.

The key success to Avatar is that most people can't watch ahead whats going like in most animes that are dubbed to see what happens. The rise of the internet is cause of the decline of anime on CN.

To get CN back on track, CN needs to acquire an anime that is airing here before it airs in Japan. Or get something here and work with it like Justice League. Plus stop it with the anime-light of their shows. Bring out their own style like how Avatar has.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
I am one of the biggest anime fans out there, it was a huge risk to get Sailor Moon but it was arguably one of the most important anime for the early generation of anime fans.

With that said, I missed the cartoons like Gargoyles, Duck Tales, Rescue Rangers, and Pinky And the Brain. People that say Americans don't produce quality cartoons need to pull their pretentious heads out of their asses. Those were classics, and the decline of American Cartoons does hurt a special part of us all.

Oblivion

Novid said:
Most of the second season went to Warners Hands.

Holy shit, are you serious? I didn't know that. I guess that sorta explains the change in animation style as well.

Novid

Banned
Hcoregamer00 said:
I am one of the biggest anime fans out there, it was a huge risk to get Sailor Moon but it was arguably one of the most important anime for the early generation of anime fans.

With that said, I missed the cartoons like Gargoyles, Duck Tales, Rescue Rangers, and Pinky And the Brain. People that say Americans don't produce quality cartoons need to pull their pretentious heads out of their asses. Those were classics, and the decline of American Cartoons does hurt a special part of us all.

Sailor Moon ripped DiC in shreds. At one point Andy Heyward nearly controled Disney Animation. But all Eisner wanted with The Sailor Moon franchise, most importanly, to make a movie from it. When they couldnt get it, they discared DiC. When It came back under Cloverway (a cover name for Toei) the ratings nearly matched the MTV ratings for the majority of the Carson Daly era TRL. (along with DBZ, Tenchi, and Gundam Wing)

From this, we keep hearing rumors of a American Movie of Sailor Moon. Its never gonna happen unless the creator of the series gives the international rights to the american companies.

Vyer

shidoshi said:
God, I'd hate to be a kid now versus when I was. We:

- had cartoons on Saturday mornings
- I ate sugary cereal with marshmallows while watching but didn't get fat because I was actually active otherwise
- my friends and I could run around the neighborhood pretending to shoot each other with toy guys without (a) getting taken down by the cops or (b) kidnapped
- I had unbelievable toy options and stores like Toys R Us or Children's Palace that had rows and rows of awesome toys instead of the garbage they have now
- you could have play equipment at our schools without worry of the school getting sued if a kid got hurt
- getting into a fight meant, at most, maybe getting a black eye and in trouble with your parents / the principle
- you could hug or touch a cute girl at school, or tell her she was cute, without being accused of sexual harassment
- I was just the right age to enjoy the amazement of the birth of home video games, especially the NES
- I could actually go Trick or Treating for blocks around my neighborhood without fear, instead of being led around a mall by my parents

...just to name a few thing. Obviously, some of those things are still possible now for kids, but the world (country) just feels like such a different place.

Very true. It's sad to think this sort of thing (the excitement of new Saturday Morning Cartoons) just doesn't happen anymore, whether it be because of the 'quality' or just the very fact it doesn't exist. Sad.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Novid said:
Sailor Moon ripped DiC in shreds. At one point Andy Heyward nearly controled Disney Animation. But all Eisner wanted with The Sailor Moon franchise, most importanly, to make a movie from it. When they couldnt get it, they discared DiC. When It came back under Cloverway (a cover name for Toei) the ratings nearly matched the MTV ratings for the majority of the Carson Daly era TRL. (along with DBZ, Tenchi, and Gundam Wing)

From this, we keep hearing rumors of a American Movie of Sailor Moon. Its never gonna happen unless the creator of the series gives the international rights to the american companies.

I don't know the specifics, so I can't verify what you can say or deny it.

What I do know is that Sailor Moon drew one of the biggest generations of anime fans, the popularity of it eclipses that of all the series released in the USA (except Dragonball Z). The series was quite influential and was the biggest "japanimation" that the kids of 1993-1995 experienced.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
As someone who never got to watch Saturday morning cartoons as a kid (I was at Church), I don't really care.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom