• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Radiant Historia |OT|: Change the Past to Save the Future

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
CH.3 Standard History Spoilers

Pierre, What the fuck man!?

By the way it felt so good beating those soldiers asses that burnt down the city. Stocke's speech before beating their ass was great

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Trojita said:
CH.3 Standard History Spoilers

Pierre, What the fuck man!?

By the way it felt so good beating those soldiers asses that burnt down the city. Stocke's speech before beating their ass was great

Did you save the little girl in the sewers? If not... so that's what happens if you don't save her. How interesting!

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
cosmicblizzard said:
Huh? I saved her and the same thing happened.
If you don't save her, you have to fight Pierre and a bunch of soldiers in a boss fight, apparently.
I'm sorry, I'm tired and probably not thinking straight.

Trojita

Dark Schala said:
Did you save the little girl in the sewers? If not... so that's what happens if you don't save her. How interesting!

There's a little girl in the sewers? I was wondering what Amirox was talking about.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Trojita said:
There's a little girl in the sewers? I was wondering what Amirox was talking about.
Yep!
That's why I was hinting towards saving her prior to completing the chapter so he wouldn't have to do it later. I forgot where exactly she is, though (probably in the room east of where you get the Mail Vest). Best way to get through the sewers quickly without trouble is with Stealth on for future reference.

Trojita said:
The two thieves that you meet in the sewers hint that there's somebody else in the sewer with them (and has a girls' voice). I actually thought it was a reference to Eruca at first, but I found the little girl by sheer chance when re-exploring the sewers randomly. She's found towards the sewer's south east, when you enter from the bar entrance. At least the girl's placement sort of makes sense, since she's a relative of the Resistance and the Resistance utilise the sewers during their activities.

Dark Schala said:
If you don't save her, you have to fight Pierre and a bunch of soldiers in a boss fight, apparently.
I'm sorry, I'm tired and probably not thinking straight.

Oh okay. Yeah, I didn't have to
fight him, but he still technically betrays you even if just for a minute.

Trojita

Dark Schala said:
Yep!
That's why I was hinting towards saving her prior to completing the chapter so he wouldn't have to do it later. I forgot where exactly she is, though (probably in the room east of where you get the Mail Vest). Best way to get through the sewers quickly without trouble is with Stealth on for future reference.

So she is in the sewers itself or is she in the castle? Do you need to initiate anything before she goes in. I thought I went through that whole area and I didn't see anyone. I was wondering what the hell the bandits were whining about when they heard a weird noise in the sewers. I expected it to be a boss at the end of the sewers. Was it just her crying?

hypersheep said:
I never used Raynie and Marco all that much. I find that Gafka is an infinitely better mover, as in one move he can push everyone into the center tile. A team of Stocke, Raynie and Marco needs both Marco and Stocke to push, and I found Raynie's magic to be lackluster.

i don't know - only ever used other party members when i had to, so you're likely right about gafka. otoh, i found marco pretty versatile, & my buffed raynie was far from lackluster, & basically was delivering most of the damage most of the time right thru the final boss...

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Trojita said:
So she is in the sewers itself or is she in the castle? Do you need to initiate anything before she goes in. I thought I went through that whole area and I didn't see anyone. I was wondering what the hell the bandits were whining about when they heard a weird noise in the sewers. I expected it to be a boss at the end of the sewers. Was it just her crying?
I think so, yeah--that was their way of telling you that there's someone else in the sewers besides your party and them. Aveyn Knight covered it above. You'll have to go back to Chapter 2 (The Castle Sewers node) and get into the sewers. She's in the southeast area of the sewers. There's no prompt since she's apparently already in there by the time you go in. Go back to the Pierre's Betrayal node after this. ;)

srenity

Neo Member
I'm in the middle of Chapter 1 and have a few questions that I didn't see answered (at least when I skimmed the last 5 pages)

-Is there a proper way to extract the shiny crystal things in the ground? When I attack it, it just says something along the lines of "You didn't break off a piece"

-Is the dude from Alistel who sells the mana crystals for 5Gs the only way to replenish them? Or are the crystals mentioned above the mana crystals??

Thanks all :]

JEKKI

yo Aht is so broken!! omg it's like trap here trap there boom dead.

she makes all the bosses in this game so far a joke...

srenity said:
I'm in the middle of Chapter 1 and have a few questions that I didn't see answered (at least when I skimmed the last 5 pages)

-Is there a proper way to extract the shiny crystal things in the ground? When I attack it, it just says something along the lines of "You didn't break off a piece"

-Is the dude from Alistel who sells the mana crystals for 5Gs the only way to replenish them? Or are the crystals mentioned above the mana crystals??

u can break the ground crystals later, I dont kno what even triggers it. I dont even kno what the item u receive even does o_O

u dont needa buy Mana Crystals. You find plenty of them in chests and never even need to use them anyways

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
srenity said:

Answer to Question 1: Yes, but you'll have to wait until later in Alternate History Chapter 1 to do so (ie: you'll get a skill).

Answer to Question 2: No, and you're right. Sometimes when you break off those crystals you either get a Mana Shard or Mana Crystal. But really, the game gives you plenty of spoils and money, so you could just use items to heal yourself up. I didn't start using my Mana Crystals until late Chapter 6 (and one occasion earlier on). There are other salesmen around the continent to purchase Mana Crystals from, but I'm a bit of a miser in RPGs, so I didn't spend any money on them.

Edit: Beaten! Totally agree--Aht is so broken.

I rather surprised and pleased that this game sets up alot in a little under 15 minutes of play. Highly competent protagonist, interesting plot, & fun combo battle system. I'm glad I chose to check this out over other higher profile games. Well...I always would rather check out the lesser knows.

bubnbob

Banned
I could look this up, but in the interest of keeping this thread active, some quest questions (I am also trying not to read guides for fear of spoil):

- The guard in Granorg who wants to see Liese - when can I do this?

- The Cornet/Boar Meat chef - I did this, but his father said the items were not in their prime. Is there a special method for this?

- The Sand Sword. I am in Cygnet in the other history, but I cant find it? Is it specifically for that one history?

bubnbob said:
I could look this up, but in the interest of keeping this thread active, some quest questions (I am also trying not to read guides for fear of spoil):

- The guard in Granorg who wants to see Liese - when can I do this?

- The Cornet/Boar Meat chef - I did this, but his father said the items were not in their prime. Is there a special method for this?

- The Sand Sword. I am in Cygnet in the other history, but I cant find it? Is it specifically for that one history?
1. You can only do it upon reaching Abyssia Forest. Also, if you're having trouble starting this event, you need to teleport to the Aht's Prayer Node and find Liese dancing in the secluded area to the north west of the inn at Granorg (if she's not there, I might have gotten the Node wrong and you may need to advance the story a little).

2. You need to obtain the Cornet vegetables personally from Cornet Village and the boar meat from the Node right before the merchant gets ambused by the two thieves in Lazvil Hills.

3. You get it later in Skalla (almost impossible to miss). I got kind of confused with this as well, but Skalla is Cygnus territory.

EDIT: Clarified the first point.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Hmmmm... I'm pretty much at the end of the game right now, but (end-game and sidequest spoilers, I guess)
how the hell do I beat Master Vainqueur? He's a beast! Beating his "house" is the easy part, but the second battle is very difficult. I'm using Stocke (Lv 62), Aht (Lv 57) and Eruca (Lv 47) because they seem to have the highest MDEF. I've tried shoving him into traps, and it seems like he's hard to poison. I have three Sky Drops equipped on everyone since his clones cast a lot of status effects. Eruca uses Divine Light or Stocke uses a Shield Seed Plus, while Aht uses Polaris and Lunatic. The part that makes it feel frustrating is that it doesn't seem like I'm doing a lot of damage to any of his doppelgangers at all and the battle goes really slowly. Should I switch to Raynie/Marco or Aht/Marco?

All in all, I'm almost finished. Crystals are great.

Dark Schala said:
Hmmmm... I'm pretty much at the end of the game right now, but (end-game and sidequest spoilers, I guess)
how the hell do I beat Master Vainqueur? He's a beast! Beating his "house" is the easy part, but the second battle is very difficult. I'm using Stocke (Lv 62), Aht (Lv 57) and Eruca (Lv 47) because they seem to have the highest MDEF. I've tried shoving him into traps, and it seems like he's hard to poison. I have three Sky Drops equipped on everyone since his clones cast a lot of status effects. Eruca uses Divine Light or Stocke uses a Shield Seed Plus, while Aht uses Polaris and Lunatic. The part that makes it feel frustrating is that it doesn't seem like I'm doing a lot of damage to any of his doppelgangers at all and the battle goes really slowly. Should I switch to Raynie/Marco or Aht/Marco?

All in all, I'm almost finished. Crystals are great.
Do you have the best equips from the final dungeon? It sounds like you're kind of underleveled for this fight, so it might be a good idea to go through the final dungeon to get the best equips/more exp.

I think if you can take off 1/4 to 1/5 of his HP with a Star Trap, you should be doing OK. It might still take a long time and your best bet is to wait for him to spam status downs on you instead of killing you. If you have enough willpower to continue, it might be better to beat the game first since he is much tougher than the final boss.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Aveyn Knight said:
Do you have the best equips from the final dungeon? It sounds like you're kind of underleveled for this fight, so it might be a good idea to go through the final dungeon to get the best equips/more exp.

I think if you can take off 1/4 to 1/5 of his HP with a Star Trap, you should be doing OK. It might still take a long time and your best bet is to wait for him to spam status downs on you instead of killing you. If you have enough willpower to continue, it might be better to beat the game first since he is much tougher than the final boss.
Thank you! Ah, no--I figured my equipment was handicapping me in a way. I should get right on grinding again when I get home.

Dark Schala said:
Thank you! Ah, no--I figured my equipment was handicapping me in a way. I should get right on grinding again when I get home.
It's still largely random whether you get those equipment or not, so don't bother yourself too much if you don't find them. Some strong alternatives:

Weapons

Stocke: Historica (you should have this by now)
Marco: ???? (steal from Alistel Officier at Skalla boss battle, AH5)
Rosche: Der Lowe (Imperial Ruins chest)
Raynie: La Tormenta (steal from Royal Hall Thautomaton boss at AH6)
Gafka: Beast Claw (steal from Sapphire in the Court Knight battle at AH6)
Aht: Glaux Dagger (steal from Alistel Officer during normal battles at AH6)
Eruca: Freikugel Mercy (Imperial Ruins chest)

Armor

Stocke, Marco, Rosche, Raynie: Diamond Mail (Granorg shop from AH6 onwards), Mithril Mail (Alistel underground laboratory, AH6)
Aht: Giant's Cape (Forgia chest, AH4)
Gafka: Nirvana Plate (Imperial Ruins chest)
Eruca: None of her armor really makes much difference to me

Dunno if that helped, just killing some time.

Trojita

Ch.3 Standard History Spoilers

The one good thing about fighting Pierre is that you can steal a bastard sword from him (The sword was more powerful than any other sword my party was able to purchase at that point). Anyways I went back and saved his sister and everything turned out differently. I went to conut village afterwards to see if there was any scene with them there, but I didn't see them....

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
I bought this the day it came out but finally sat down with it last night and played an hour and a half. Very neat game. I'll play a little more tonight, but I'm impressed.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Aveyn Knight said:
It's still largely random whether you get those equipment or not, so don't bother yourself too much if you don't find them. Some strong alternatives:

Weapons

Stocke: Historica (you should have this by now)
Marco: ???? (steal from Alistel Officier at Skalla boss battle, AH5)
Rosche: Der Lowe (Imperial Ruins chest)
Raynie: La Tormenta (steal from Royal Hall Thautomaton boss at AH6)
Gafka: Beast Claw (steal from Sapphire in the Court Knight battle at AH6)
Aht: Glaux Dagger (steal from Alistel Officer during normal battles at AH6)
Eruca: Freikugel Mercy (Imperial Ruins chest)

Armor

Stocke, Marco, Rosche, Raynie: Diamond Mail (Granorg shop from AH6 onwards), Mithril Mail (Alistel underground laboratory, AH6)
Aht: Giant's Cape (Forgia chest, AH4)
Gafka: Nirvana Plate (Imperial Ruins chest)
Eruca: None of her armor really makes much difference to me

Dunno if that helped, just killing some time.
Thanks. I have most of those weapons already, but some of the armour I don't (Diamond Mail, specifically). Did accessories matter in this battle or not? I think part of it is that I lost my patience with how lengthy the battle was.
Does Eruca seem to not have a very big "vitality" stat to you? She's good in battles, but she can get hit hard.

Trojita said:
Ch.3 Standard History Spoilers

The one good thing about fighting Pierre is that you can steal a bastard sword from him (The sword was more powerful than any other sword my party was able to purchase at that point). Anyways I went back and saved his sister and everything turned out differently. I went to conut village afterwards to see if there was any scene with them there, but I didn't see them....
Ah, so that's what I missed out on! You'll be able to buy Bastard Swords later, but it would have been beneficial to have one back in that chapter. You did everything right, so don't worry about not being able to see Pierre and the others after you escape from Granorg.

Dark Schala said:
Thanks. I have most of those weapons already, but some of the armour I don't (Diamond Mail, specifically). Did accessories matter in this battle or not? I think part of it is that I lost my patience with how lengthy the battle was.
Does Eruca seem to not have a very big "vitality" stat to you? She's good in battles, but she can get hit hard.
If you have most of those weapons, you should be okay from an offensive viewpoint since they're either the best or second best weapons.

Accessories might make a difference, but I didn't list them because they're not as rare. Since you get hit pretty hard in that battle, stuff like Queen Studs, which you can buy at Granorg from AH6 and onwards, might be useful for your weaker characters. Or maybe the Venus Ring (+70 HP), stolen from
Hugo

I found Eruca to be great, but she was a bit of a glass cannon. Not that it's a terrible thing in this game since revival items and skills are fairly cheap. It just means I'm not really bothered about upgrading her armor (which is made worse by the fact that her armor barely gives much Def compared to other characters, besides Aht, but she at least has the Giant's Cape). Actually, the Deformed Dress that drops from the Death Wasps in the AH6 sewers isn't half bad (35 Def).

Totakeke

Well the key thing with the master fight is to able to survive long enough to focus fire and kill one of the clones. After that everything gets much easier. You don't really need to grind as much as being able to pull off that with sufficient amount of offense and survivability. And use the shield items that block attacks, there's no reason not to use them in this battle.

Cool game, but the sidequests are a bit frustrating because of all the travel restrictions. Like now I'm doing the one for the soldier's son, and I
met his father at the Sand Fortress before he died, and got the Death Pact item, but when I try to return to Alistel to give it to the kid, I keep getting blocked from going there my messages saying Stocke has to head somewhere else
That kind of thing makes sense when you're going through the events of the main story, because they're happening at a fast pace. But when you've already completed these sections and righted history, why are you still kept on the narrow path? Am I missing something?

Totakeke

chaostrophy said:
Cool game, but the sidequests are a bit frustrating because of all the travel restrictions. Like now I'm doing the one for the soldier's son, and I
met his father at the Sand Fortress before he died, and got the Death Pact item, but when I try to return to Alistel to give it to the kid, I keep getting blocked from going there my messages saying Stocke has to head somewhere else
That kind of thing makes sense when you're going through the events of the main story, because they're happening at a fast pace. But when you've already completed these sections and righted history, why are you still kept on the narrow path? Am I missing something?

It has to be the right time in the right timeline. Return to when you got the quest. It's annoying yes, but it makes some sense.

JEKKI

awwwwwwww man I been playing this game for like 4 hours today!! just doing sidequests!!

I still need all of Stocke, Aht, & Gafka's secret moves, but other than that I think I did everything I could...

dang I got like ~36 hours into this game within the past 2 weeks @_@

bubnbob

Banned
Truth101 said:
I'm thinking of getting this game, how does it compare to say Golden Sun 1/2 on the GBA?

Uh... not even comparable. Sorry. Radiant poos all over it, in terms of quality, imo.

Truth101 said:
I'm thinking of getting this game, how does it compare to say Golden Sun 1/2 on the GBA?
Story and characters are much better. There's less puzzles and exploration, but more focus on battles and sidequests. The battle system in this game is quite nifty, perhaps not quite as flashy as Golden Sun's, but it's more challenging and satisfying.

Amazon is out of stock again. :| For that reason, I picked it up locally for $35. :\ I wish I would have just bought it at Amazon for $30 a few weeks back and saved $8 bucks.

JEKKI

grrrr~!!!! it's almost 2:30 am and I cant beat mother freakin
Vanquerer
or whatever the heck his name is!!!!

time to sleep!!

Zwei

Big Papa Husker said:
Amazon is out of stock again. :| For that reason, I picked it up locally for $35. :\ I wish I would have just bought it at Amazon for $30 a few weeks back and saved $8 bucks.

Amazon has it, but it ships out in 2-4 weeks. :/

lolwut

JEKKI

whooo~!!! still playing up til freakin 4 am last nite!!!

I beat it tho!!

40 hours, 16 days,

got 232/236, so I'm missing one sidequest and still gotta beat Master Vanquish.

but yah, game is quite good! I never played a rpg so fast and got this addicted since Persona 3/4.

it reminds me a lot of Final Fantasy if Final Fantasy didnt suck.

now I jus gotta grind my way past Master V!!!

JEKKI said:
236/236~!!!

total play time 42:58

I am the Radiant Historia master!!

you can call me Rahima!!
Nice. Although are all your characters Level 99 and did you loot all the rare equipment drops from the final dungeon? j/k

Actually, related to that, I'm still missing the "ultimate" weapon for Gafka. In the process, I've got 4 Kannagi Knives, 4 Princesses and just found my 3rd Chevalier yesterday o__o

Hobbun

Big Papa Husker said:

Sorry to hear you haven't gotten your copy.

But look at Amazon selling out again as a good sign. That the game is doing well (for numbers Atlus printed).

We may get a RH 2!

I beat it last night. It was pretty great.

Yoko Shimomura's soundtrack was beautiful. Unfortunately, it was also rather limited. I wish there would've been some more variety, particularly in the different areas (got kind of tired of that song that plays on the world map and in nearly every place). I think with a slightly higher budget, this game could've been closer to the top of my favorite JRPG list. It's definitely on there though. But what the game lacks in budget, it makes up for in what I felt was actually a story that didn't make me lose interest part way through. There wasn't too much filler, and for the first time in a game I've played, the sidequests actually MEAN something besides getting phat loot and brokenly strong weapons.

And, man, that battle system. For the first time in years, I played a game with a battle system that couldn't eventually just be broken down into holding down the x/a button. Many times I'll see a battle system that has a lot of promise and an intriguing new idea, that's completely ruined by the fact that just pressing the A or X button or whatever solves everything much quicker. And I thought the game was fairly well balanced compared to other games in the genre. I was still taking a beating, but not in an FF4: The After Years sort of way where I felt like it was complete luck playing those battles.

All in all a great game. I think I may go back and complete some more sidequests. Is there a better ending if I finish all of them? And do I need to do all of the bad endings too?

Volcynika

Ahaha, (Late SH6 spoilers I think)

After taking care of Protea's guards, Stocke's like "Give up the throne, give me the Etherion, and get the fuck out." Awesome.

PigSpeakers said:
All in all a great game. I think I may go back and complete some more sidequests. Is there a better ending if I finish all of them? And do I need to do all of the bad endings too?
Yes, you need all the bad endings since they all count as events.

The main ending is the same, but you get a few more scenes depending on certain sidequests that you've beaten (usually related to your party characters). Once you've beaten all the sidequests (I think?) there's an extra scene at the end of the game, which is kind of like the true ending.

PigSpeakers said:

i got the better/true ending. getting it involves completing a particular dozen or so quests. so you can get it either by peeking at a faq, & doing those particular missions, or by just completing as many as you can, & seeing if it works (which is what i did). &, no, getting the bad endings gets you nothing (well, other than one more event completion, of course)...

Volcynika

Oy at this boss at AH6.

After fighting that machine, then Dias' knights, I have to fight Viola? fffffffffff And I don't think I can resupply on items or anything, and I don't want to have to go back and end up facing all these bosses again.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Ugh, I've only had time for grinding this weekend. Sooo busy. I hope I beat this tonight.

In other news, I finally beat
Master Vainqueur. I just needed to level Eruca up a bit.

Top Bottom