• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Radiant Historia |OT|: Change the Past to Save the Future

Yuterald

Dark Schala said:
Everyone stops learning new skills around level
, right? Grinding is massively addictive, I agree. I spent nearly all night on this game. I don't regret one bit of it, but most of it was grinding and clearing up some of the stuff I missed before rather than progressing. Kinda surprised when I looked at the clock after a while, heh.

Yes, I believe all characters learn their final skills by level 60. The final dungeon is a swimming pool for EXP. I'm thinking I may grind to LV99 for all characters to see if I can find every rare drop before I take on the secret boss. I feel like I am over prepared at this point, but by delaying the true ending and secret boss it gives me an excuse to keep grinding! =)

Dark Schala said:
It's kind of disappointing that the game isn't getting that much attention, even with Amir0x's endorsement. But a ton of stuff is coming out this month, so it isn't surprising.

i'm sure you're right, as far there being multiple releases... & that any talk regarding some kinda 'reverse amir0x effect' on gaf is utter nonsense :) ...

Dark Schala said:
The game isn't necessarily hard, but can be quite long.

yeah, while i usually prefer a bit more of a challenge, i never considered the game's combat not being especially difficult to be a problem - thanks to the mechanics, it was still almost always fun, & there was always more than enough other stuff to tinker with & figure out to keep me completely interested & occupied throughout. which, in a way i suppose, tells you just how well put together it is...

sfried

JEKKI said:
whoo~!! jus made it to Chapter 3 and now they're like go do a mission at Lazvil Hills!!

Lazvil Hills in every freakin chapter!! what is this game?!?! Lazviliant Hillstoria?!?!
Here's some music to accompany it. Hope you enjoy 'em flaming chickens.

From the Game Informer review:

That may sound like a spoiler, but nothing is set in stone. By using a mysterious book called the White Chronicle, Stocke has the ability to travel freely between various key points in the game’s timeline. You may see one companion fall in battle, but then return to that moment later with an item that will save his life. Adding to the complexity, the timeline splits into two parallel branches early on, and the alternate histories also affect each other. This structure is a brilliant way to deliver the plot, steering away from cookie-cutter moments and taking some surprisingly dark turns. Radiant Historia’s storytelling provides an innovative twist that defies the predictability of traditional RPGs.

Was this implemented well? It sounds like a very cool idea, but I'm also traumatized from being told cool ideas that don't translate well to gameplay.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Yuterald said:
The final dungeon is a swimming pool for EXP.
Hmmm. I wonder if I should keep grinding then. If you actively Steal from enemies, are the items good in the final dungeon? The only good stolen items I got naturally came from bosses.

semiconscious said:
i'm sure you're right, as far there being multiple releases... & that any talk regarding some kinda 'reverse amir0x effect' on gaf is utter nonsense :)
Late Feb/March is the new Q4 (trying to juggle this and Tactics Ogre is proving difficult, I agree). Aha, is that so? From the time I lurked, I figured Amir0x didn't like that many jRPGs, and his issues with them are pretty valid. Not even Amir0x's endorsement powers can defeat the Pokemon. >.>

The combat is so fun most of the time. If it were straight-turn-based, I don't think I'd be having nearly as much fun (and would probably find grinding to be a chore). The characters' skillsets are pretty diverse, so sometimes it's nice to experiment with them. But I'm starting to agree with some of Tizoc's earlier comments in the thread about bosses giving you piddly XP for all the effort put into the battles. I like EXP scaling, but that's kind of ridiculous.

sfried said:
Here's some music to accompany it. Hope you enjoy 'em flaming chickens.
I really liked this theme. But with that said, I wish there was more diversity in the game's score. It's not that I don't like it, I just wanted more than 25 tracks. I like The Red Locus, too.

Smision said:
Was this implemented well? It sounds like a very cool idea, but I'm also traumatized from being told cool ideas that don't translate well to gameplay.
I thought so. If you were stuck in one timeline, you just had to travel to a locus in the other timeline, play through that timeline for a bit and get what you need to progress in the original timeline. This happens multiple times throughout the narrative. Sometimes you might have to travel back in the same timeline to fix something that happened (what GI referred to). You can also get bad endings if you make the wrong decision (but you can instantly go back to the decision point to make the right decision). The best part of going back in time and switching between timelines is that nothing is missable. You will have to either talk to every NPC in town to see if they have a sidequest for you (or look at a FAQ) because it isn't explicitly stated that you have sidequests.

A shortcoming is that you can't go to any locus or event you want, and that if you missed something (like a sidequest) in a chapter or certain point in time, you will have to play through something all over again. A nice thing is that you can skip cutscenes with the Start button, and that you can get some EXP, but still, you're repeating something you've already done. This usually happens when you're looking for sidequests, but if you're going straight through the narrative, then you might not have to experience it.

Perhaps other people's opinions might differ from mine, though.

Hmmm. I wonder if I should keep grinding then. If you actively Steal from enemies, are the items good in the final dungeon? The only good stolen items I got naturally came from bosses.

Nah, stealing from monsters just nets you a ton of health items, like teas and antis etc. The only reason to grind in the final dungeon is for the extremely rare weapons and armor that can be dropped, but that was too much of a hassle for me, so I stopped playing after beating the final boss a second time.

I was just about to order this off Amazon and found that it is out of stock. Hopefully they haven't sold out all of their 'launch copies'. If so, I may have to find a Gamestop that hasn't gutted their copies.

Huff

Banned
I don't get paid until thursday. Hope my gamestop still has some in stock. I doubt Walmart or Target carries it.

BroHuffman said:
I don't get paid until thursday. Hope my gamestop still has some in stock. I doubt Walmart or Target carries it.
It looks like Gamestop has them in-stock on their site. What you could do is order online, then if it is the version without the CD, exchange it at a store.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I remember seeing the image in Big Papa Husker's avatar stare right back at me from my DS screen at 4 AM with all the lights out. That was a great moment, but I had to play something happier after finishing that particular game to get it out of my head so I could sleep. :/

I saw a few copies of Radiant Historia (with CD) at the Best Buy one town over, but I noticed that that BB likes to carry some niche stuff while my local Best Buy doesn't seem to have a lot (or any) niche stuff. This is in Canada, but I don't know if it's the case in the US. I doubt you'll find it in Wal-Mart or Target.

hypersheep said:
The only reason to grind in the final dungeon is for the extremely rare weapons and armor that can be dropped, but that was too much of a hassle for me, so I stopped playing after beating the final boss a second time.
I see. I assume that they won't readily drop. It'll be like grinding turtles all over again.

Dark Schala said:
I remember seeing the image in Big Papa Husker's avatar stare right back at me from my DS screen at 4 AM with all the lights out. That was a great moment, but I had to play something happier after finishing that particular game to get it out of my head so I could sleep. :/

I saw a few copies of Radiant Historia (with CD) at the Best Buy one town over, but I noticed that that BB likes to carry some niche stuff while my local Best Buy doesn't seem to have a lot (or any) niche stuff. This is in Canada, but I don't know if it's the case in the US. I doubt you'll find it in Wal-Mart or Target.

I see. I assume that they won't readily drop. It'll be like grinding turtles all over again.
My Avatar says hello! :p I agree, that scene was very disturbing! It freaked me out.

Yeah, I don't think any of the Best Buys in the US carry the game. Heck, they just started carrying the game online in the last week or two.

Yaweee

Big Papa Husker said:
I was just about to order this off Amazon and found that it is out of stock. Hopefully they haven't sold out all of their 'launch copies'. If so, I may have to find a Gamestop that hasn't gutted their copies.

Being in a special case, it likely won't be gutted. At least mine 1+ week after launch wasn't. It was safely behind the counter.

Yuterald

61 hours, main characters are LV99, finished the final secret boss! The only thing I have left to do is beat the game again and get my 'complete' ending. I am only missing Gafka's ultimate weapon drop from the final dungeon, but it never seems to drop. I got the best armor for every character now after hours of grinding, and I think I have their best weapons as well.

This game is nuts with its steals & drops. It seems like every enemy in the game has unique rare drop equipment. Since the game is so perfect and I've invested so much time into it I feel obligated to hunt down the shittier drops even though I don't need them. I don't know what to do! I feel completely burnt out with the game lol! I definitely need to move on from this when the weekend hits or I'll never stop playing it! =)

Grzi

Well, I'm at the end, only the final boss left. Finished all the sidequests, beat
the Master
, party I'm using is Stocke (currently Lv79), Eruca (Lv 73) and Aht (Lv 79).
The game is really amazing, probably one of my top 20 all time favourite JRPGs, maybe even 15.
So many awesome moments in the story (which isn't perfect, but I'd rate it higher than most JRPG stories), my favourite being the part
when Heiss returns back in time, to the Aht's prayer node, in an atempt to kill Eruca
. That was really cool.
Stocke is such a great main character, this cannot be mentioned enough -
the dethroning of the queen for example was such a good moment, he was so badass.

Yuterald said:
61 hours, main characters are LV99, finished the final secret boss! The only thing I have left to do is beat the game again and get my 'complete' ending. I am only missing Gafka's ultimate weapon drop from the final dungeon, but it never seems to drop. I got the best armor for every character now after hours of grinding, and I think I have their best weapons as well.

Can you tell me what the drops are? Or give me a link to a list or something, just so I can know what to expect.

Yuterald

Grzil said:
Can you tell me what the drops are? Or give me a link to a list or something, just so I can know what to expect.

-Chevalier, which is the best armor for Stocke, Raynie, Marco, and Rosch is dropped from the enemy Gigas, I believe.

Ginas & Menas drops best armor Master Guard & Divinity Dress, respectively, and these are the best armors for Eurca and Gafka.

Mana Storm enemy drops Satyros Finery for Aht, which is her best armor.

The crystals drop weapons in the final dungeon. I believe the following crystals drop these weapons.

Glorious Fist (Gafka's final weapon)
ATK+78/SPD+2
Worn by an undefeated fighter
Drop: Rage Thunder, Royal Hall, SH Final

Kannagi Knife (Aht's final weapon)
ATK+35/MAG+65/SPD+10
A divine knife used by shamans
Drop: Silent Soul, Royal Hall, SH Final

Princess (Eurca's final weapon)
ATK+28/MAG+80
Made of solid gold for royalty
Drop: Pure Ice, Royal Hall, SH Final

-Stock's final weapon is the upgraded Historica.

-I believe the Ogre Spear weapons are dropped by those red/heat crystals in the final dungeon, but the La Tormenta (Spear) from the machine guarding the Royal Hall in AS:Ch 6 might be Raynie's final weapon.

I'll have to double check Marco's weapon on my save file because I don't think any of the crystals drop a weapon for him. I pieced most of this together from various threads on gamefaqs.com.

I'm not sure how to increase drop rates other than maybe equipping the rabbit's foot accessory. I THINK doing high combos on enemies increase rare drops, but I can't confirm it. You are just better off doing crazy combos anyway on the enemies you seek the equipment from because you are at least going to get mad EXP and Gold. I've gotten incredibly lucky with these drops over the past few days, but I could see this taking forever for some. It did give me an excuse to get my characters to LV99 though lol!

Grzi

Thanks for that. I might try to get some of that stuff, although it's not really necessary.

Finished the game a couple of hours ago. It took me exactly 40 hours. the ending was great.
What can I say, I can't remember the last time when I was this addicted to a game.
Truly an exeptional JRPG that everyone should play.

bubnbob

Banned
When should I fight the boar in Lazvil Hills (to get meat for the cook)? He straight dominated me without even trying... rofl. Guess it's time to do some grindan.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Yuterald said:
This game is nuts with its steals & drops. It seems like every enemy in the game has unique rare drop equipment. Since the game is so perfect and I've invested so much time into it I feel obligated to hunt down the shittier drops even though I don't need them. I don't know what to do! I feel completely burnt out with the game lol! I definitely need to move on from this when the weekend hits or I'll never stop playing it! =)
Now I know I definitely did something wrong. Still on Chapter 4 AH with 26 hours. But I've been stealing stuff like crazy and I haven't really had to buy that many accessories or items. Sounds like you're less burnt out and more like, "I want to find everything in this game." Did you like SH or AH more?

Do enemies have rare steals, and do they drop rare drops readily? I'm a little paranoid about it since I'm still trying to plat FF13. I have a grand total of one Rabbit's Foot, so that certainly helps, right?

I got a ton of the sidequests that I missed done, though. I had to replay the beginning AH Chapter 3 four times, and also had to get two sidequests from before you
learn Vanish from Heiss
. *sigh*. I completely missed two of the sidequests in
Alistel before getting exiled
and then I had to go BACK to finish them and get the reward. I wish they had a node for AFTER you beat
Snorlax
in AH Chapter 3, but oh well. I got some grinding out of it. I really need to move on with the story, though.

Stocke is among my favourite jRPG protagonists now. I've heard comparisons to Solid Snake, and I think they're credible, but I think he's pretty much his own character.

Big Papa Husker said:
My Avatar says hello! :p I agree, that scene was very disturbing! It freaked me out.
I let out a semi-audible yelp when I saw that. Luckily no one was up. That game was my favourite game of 2010. I haven't felt like a videogame narrative was that gripping before. Radiant Historia isn't as "gripping", but I--and I guess a few people in this thread--find it really addictive.

bubnbob said:
When should I fight the boar in Lazvil Hills (to get meat for the cook)? He straight dominated me without even trying... rofl. Guess it's time to do some grindan.
What level are you at? I tried going right away for it after getting the sidequest and it killed me in one shot. I went back later at level 32 and had no problems. But honestly, I think I could have done it earlier with Fire, Turn Break, Poison, DEF+ equipment and ATK+/MAG+ skills. Buffing and Debuffing does wonders for some bosses.

Yuterald

I'm done with the game. 65 hours and I finally got my last ultimate weapon drop for Gafka. I just cleared the game again with 236/236 events completed with all LV99 chareacters and I feel completely satisfied. I checked the Japanese wiki and there is just WAAAAAAAAAAY too many randomly dropped pieces of equipment. I got the best stuff and a lot of the rarer "okay" drops so I'm good for now.

If there is one thing I don't understand about this game is why they made so many different pieces of equipment that are rare drops from enemies. Seriously, some of these drops are RIDICULOUS to obtain and the game isn't very clear on how to improve your chances. There is that ONE rabbit's foot which increase luck, but who the fuck knows what the luck stat does!?

If there was an item or monster book that kept track of everything collected in the game then I would go for the rest of this junk, but holy shit is there soooo much unnecessary pieces of equipment in this game. I'll just have to be content with the best equipment and LV99 characters lol! =)

I really, really, really enjoyed this game. It's definitely my favorite DS RPG. I'm so glad I dove right into this game despite a lot of other games I was currently involved with. I highly, highly recommend anyone with a passing interest to check out this game. It is one of the finest RPGs in the DS library and just one of the best RPGs I've played in general for awhile.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
One of us, one of us, one of us... Though I hope you guys' expectations aren't too high.

@Yuterald, or anyone else who figured this out: I'm not sure what to do with Stocke's skill scrolls. Do I have to give them to the same guy who teaches Raynie and Marco skills but later on in the game, or do I give them to someone else?

I believe the Luck stat increases the rate of critical hits like it does in some other games. I could be wrong. I take it that getting rare weapons is like grinding turtles then, eh? :/

Munsu_88

Neo Member
I've played for 2-3 hours but I can't seem to enjoy it :\. The art is so bad. The story doesn't seem as good as people made it to be...when will it pick up, if it ever does !?. backtracking the same dungeon for a different decision is kinda of tedious. The only thing that I like about the game is the battle theme... Gaf, should i give it a chance or just thaw it away ?

Dark Schala said:
One of us, one of us, one of us... Though I hope you guys' expectations aren't too high.

@Yuterald, or anyone else who figured this out: I'm not sure what to do with Stocke's skill scrolls. Do I have to give them to the same guy who teaches Raynie and Marco skills but later on in the game, or do I give them to someone else?

I believe the Luck stat increases the rate of critical hits like it does in some other games. I could be wrong. I take it that getting rare weapons is like grinding turtles then, eh? :/
If you're talking about the pacts, there's a well in Itolia wasteland that you should go down.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Munsu_88 said:
I've played for 2-3 hours but I can't seem to enjoy it :\. The art is so bad. The story doesn't seem as good as people made it to be...when will it pick up, if it ever does !?. backtracking the same dungeon for a different decision is kinda of tedious. The only thing that I like about the game is the battle theme... Gaf, should i give it a chance or just thaw it away ?
Hmm. I thought the story picked up a ton around Chapter 2. Play a little more and see if you still like it. However, it seems as though you don't like the battle system, either. If you don't really like it after a few more hours, I wouldn't recommend delving further in. If you're only liking ONE thing about the game and you're not having fun, it's safe to say that it might not be for you. It's unfortunate, but everyone's tastes are different. How exactly far in are you, though? It'd be a better indicator than total playtime.

hypersheep said:
If you're talking about the pacts, there's a well in Itolia wasteland that you should go down.
Thank you! I'll bear that in mind for when I get there. :)

Grzi

The quest involving Stocke's, Eruca's and Aht's pacts is probably my favourite sidequest in the game. It's really satisfying.

Okay, I just started up the game tonight, and I'm not very far in -- just made the decision to join Rosch and I headed to the mines. Made the "bad" choice there, which was disappointing -- you just get a text ending to bad choices, or only some of them? The intro of the game was really promising in that regard, so I hope they don't just throw text at you at each "bad" branch.

Anyway, otherwise I am really enjoying it so far. The jrpg cliches haven't been too awful (yet) and the premise is really interesting. It also helps a lot that the battle system is a lot of fun so far, and I can see how it could expand into some really interesting stuff, so hopefully that happens.

I also seem to have gotten one of the last copies in the Los Angeles area so I'm pretty happy about that :)

Volcynika

timetokill said:
Okay, I just started up the game tonight, and I'm not very far in -- just made the decision to join Rosch and I headed to the mines. Made the "bad" choice there, which was disappointing -- you just get a text ending to bad choices, or only some of them? The intro of the game was really promising in that regard, so I hope they don't just throw text at you at each "bad" branch.

Anyway, otherwise I am really enjoying it so far. The jrpg cliches haven't been too awful (yet) and the premise is really interesting. It also helps a lot that the battle system is a lot of fun so far, and I can see how it could expand into some really interesting stuff, so hopefully that happens.

I also seem to have gotten one of the last copies in the Los Angeles area so I'm pretty happy about that :)

Yeah, bad endings for the most part just kinda give you a text run-down of the results of your choice.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I have a question about the one side quest that I believe is called Red Letter Day

Does it matter whether you
Select the Listen or Don't listen to Sonja command when initiating talking with Rosch?

Is there a difference whether you tell Rosch to go after Sonja or you decide to go after her yourself?

Spwn

Got the game yesterday and I'm 8h in right now. Loving the game so far and I think it's the best jrpg I've played on the DS since TWEWY. This may even be a better game, although it doesn't have the same amount of originality as TWEWY. The characters are the strongest part of the game so far. The dialog is well written and every character so far has been everything but annoying, which is rare in the genre. Excited to see where the story is going.

This game wasn't really on my radar until reading this thread and seeing a lot of positive GAF impressions. And I noticed on Amazon the game is now selling for $54.99 through other sellers (but fulfilled by Amazon). I guess those sellers are jacking up the price because the game is getting popular and hard to come by (sold out at the other online retailers that I checked). Luckily I was able to pick the game up for $35 at a local Frys. Can't wait to get home and play!

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Trojita said:
I have a question about the one quest that I believe is called Red Letter Day

Does it matter whether you
Select the Listen or Don't listen to Sonja command when initiating talking with Rosch?

Is there a difference whether you tell Rosch to go after Sonja or you decide to go after her yourself?

Absolutely.
If you select Listen to Sonja, and then select "tell Rosch to go after Sonja", you will complete the quest. If you select Listen to Sonja, and then select the option to go after her yourself, you will get the bad ending for the quest. If you don't "listen to Sonja", then the game main decision point (join/don't join Rosch) will go on like normal.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Dark Schala said:
Absolutely.
If you select Listen to Sonja, and then select "tell Rosch to go after Sonja", you will complete the quest. If you select Listen to Sonja, and then select the option to go after her yourself, you will get the bad ending for the quest. If you don't "listen to Sonja", then the game main decision point (join/don't join Rosch) will go on like normal.

Okay thanks, so does
the bad ending cause a similar scene like the main quests bad endings where you need to start over, or does the game just go on with you not being able to complete the quest or are you able to do it over?/spoiler]

Trojita said:
Okay thanks, so does
the bad ending cause a similar scene like the main quests bad endings where you need to start over, or does the game just go on with you not being able to complete the quest or are you able to do it over?
Like all bad endings, you get a lecture and a boot to the last big node.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Trojita said:
Okay thanks, so does
the bad ending cause a similar scene like the main quests bad endings where you need to start over, or does the game just go on with you not being able to complete the quest or are you able to do it over?

Yep, the bad endings are basically the same as the main quest bad endings where you can go back to the quest and choose the right option the next time. Even if you get the best option the first time around, you can still go back and get the bad ending for completion's sake. If it's a multi-step sidequest, just go to the last decision step (ie: in this case, just talk to Rosch rather than talk to the first person in the quest) and get the other ending you need (quest clear/bad end).

Edit: beaten.

Volcynika said:
Yeah, bad endings for the most part just kinda give you a text run-down of the results of your choice.

That's kind of a shame, but I guess it makes sense. Still, it would've been nice to at least get an image slideshow showing the outcome or something. Oh well, not worth stopping over, just a minor point.

timetokill said:
That's kind of a shame, but I guess it makes sense. Still, it would've been nice to at least get an image slideshow showing the outcome or something. Oh well, not worth stopping over, just a minor point.
It's not always a short summary. Occasionally a sidequest will give you a cutscene illustrating the results of your screw-up.

vall03

Oxx said:
Unfortunately Pokemon has dragged me away from RH. There are just too many DS RPGs at the moment.
staying strong here, Pokemon made me play this game more, I guess its also because Okamiden is coming out soon and then tons of PSP games after that... *sigh* my poor backlog...

Volcynika said:
Am I missing the reason for Air Assault attacks? Does it do any more damage than normal when they're in the air?

They get hurt double whatever the next attack that hits them when they fall to the ground. I think it might add to the combo more, but I might be mistaken.

Totakeke

Volcynika said:
Am I missing the reason for Air Assault attacks? Does it do any more damage than normal when they're in the air?

Yes. It seems their defense are lowered when their up in air, plus you get additional % of damage when they fall down. So air assault -> big attack -> 0.x multiplier of the big attack.

JEKKI

maaaaaan u kno what's annoying??

going to Alistel in SH Ch.3... becoz there's no Node!! u gotta fight a boss to get there to do sidequests!!

u kno what else is annoying??

getting killed by the freakin Boar when trying to do another sidequest!! wtf why is that thing so strong!!

and what's worse is I didnt save!! so I had to do all my sidequests all over again, including the ones in SH Ch.3 where I needa visit Alistel!!

now I saved my game and Im gonna get revenge on that dang Boar!!

Huff

Banned
Oxx said:
Unfortunately Pokemon has dragged me away from RH. There are just too many DS RPGs at the moment.

Went to go get RH, but gamestop was out. Picked up DQVI instead. Gotta love the DS and all of it's RPGs

JEKKI

yo I fucked that boar up.

twice.

first time the dood was like "nahh man u cant make a perfect dish off meat alone!!"

so I had to kill the boar again

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
BroHuffman said:
Went to go get RH, but gamestop was out. Picked up DQVI instead. Gotta love the DS and all of it's RPGs
Funny thing is, I put down Dragon Quest VI to play this. Way too many portable RPGs coming out. I even have Ys I and II Chronicles staring at me on my desk right now. :/

And hah at AH Chapter 5:
Soldier: *hic* Whaddya want?
Stocke: Your clothes. Hand them over. *fight*
Heh.

The Master Vainqueur stuff made me smile too. "Get over here, girl!"

At what level did people complete the "The Road to Victory" sidequest? That damn spider sucks. And I hate bugs and spiders! I've fought two of them in the main story, I don't need another one. :/

Top Bottom