• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Radiant Historia |OT|: Change the Past to Save the Future

Started playing this the other day. Feels like it could get really epic. I only just started AH Chapter 1 but I'm really loving the way the timelines work. Definitely get Chrono Trigger vibes from it and Chrono Trigger is my all-time favorite RPG.

The battle system is definitely unique, too. In most RPGs I never use MP except for boss fights but knocking enemies around so I can blast every single enemy on the screen with Thunder and kill them all in one hit is so satisfying.

Riposte

worldrevolution said:
Well it's true in one sense, but the game's really great about not punishing the player for making those wrong/crazy choices.

lol, I haven't seen that defense used for something like Mass Effect. Either way, the OP is quite wrong.

The_Dude

Just finished this. Fantastic game. Ended up with 222 events complete (and another 7 found but unfinished), which is a bit annoying since I thought I was being so thorough! Really didn't want to use a guide, but I'll probably relent. Highly recommended!

Instro

Just got the true ending, and finished off all the extra events
Was hoping for a bit more after Heiss sacrificed himself for Stocke, maybe showing what Stocke did after he got back but oh well. Still a nice ending, it was nice to see Stocke and Raynie, it was one of the sidequests I missed earlier. The Master was pretty tough btw, took me a while to beat him.

Really hope we get a sequel someday.

Riposte said:
lol, I haven't seen that defense used for something like Mass Effect. Either way, the OP is quite wrong.

Whats wrong about the OP, the choices you make are important, they just are more directly tied to the story than the ones in something like Mass Effect. Its still non-linear storytelling.

The only real difference is that you are allowed to fix your bad choices at any time, rather than having to go back through the game again.

PumpkinPie said:
Can any EU guys comment on how long the game took to arrive from VideoGamesPlus.ca?
Mine came about 2 days ago? I just haven't had the time to actually play it since I am in the midst of coursework and exams, lol.

BluWacky

PumpkinPie said:
Can any EU guys comment on how long the game took to arrive from VideoGamesPlus.ca?

UK person here and it took five working days, which is pretty standard for anything I've ordered from VGP (been using them for seven or eight years for imports). With the Easter weekend progress may be slower - I don't know where you live but we've had so many bank holidays recently that the post is very slow.

Cataferal

Digital Foundry
Nope. Mine arrived today after 12 days of waiting and it didn;t come with the OST. I expected as much, given the product listing.

Cataferal

Digital Foundry
Judging by the removed listing, it seems the game has gone out of stock at VG+ again. I'm sure it'll be back (and besides, it's still available on Amazon), but I'm glad I snagged it when I could.

Quick question to 3DS users; are you playing this game in 1:1 or full-screen, and how does it look to you? I'm thinking of picking one up soon just to play this.

Finally got my copy after about two weeks. I hadn't really looked into the game before I bought it and just based my purchase on reviews/ hype, I'm so glad I bought it. The game is epic, it has awesome an soundtrack and great characters...reminds me a lot of Suikoden I & II mixed with FFVI and Chrono Trigger.

depward

Alright, so after recently playing through Chrono Trigger for the umpteenth time, I've decided to give this a shot. I would ask that ye olde question, "What should I know as I begin this game?" but I think that has been thoroughly discussed and revealed throughout the thread.

I'm just looking forward to an enjoyable time with time-traveling, an engaging story and a fun battle system.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
depward said:
Alright, so after recently playing through Chrono Trigger for the umpteenth time, I've decided to give this a shot. I would ask that ye olde question, "What should I know as I begin this game?" but I think that has been thoroughly discussed and revealed throughout the thread.

I'm just looking forward to an enjoyable time with time-traveling, an engaging story and a fun battle system.
You'll probably get those characteristics. Just don't expect a Chrono Trigger battle system, but it's still really fun.

A warning: sidequests aren't obvious to the naked eye. Talk to as many NPCs as possible or check with a FAQ. You don't need to do them, but there are ten sidequests that can impact whether you get the normal ending or the true ending. Nothing is missable, because you can travel back to any point in time to do things you forgot to do.

Cataferal said:
Quick question to 3DS users; are you playing this game in 1:1 or full-screen, and how does it look to you? I'm thinking of picking one up soon just to play this.
Looks tiny when it's not 1:1. When it is 1:1, some of the smaller font for HP/MP looks a little blurry, but the regular font looks fine. I don't really see much of a difference, just a little stretching here and there. I don't know if that helps.

By the way, the speakers on 3DS sound quite improved over the DS and DSi's, I think. The music is far more audible and easier to listen to.

PumpkinPie said:
Finally got my copy after about two weeks. I hadn't really looked into the game before I bought it and just based my purchase on reviews/ hype, I'm so glad I bought it. The game is epic, it has awesome an soundtrack and great characters...reminds me a lot of Suikoden I & II mixed with FFVI and Chrono Trigger.
That's the vibe I got too. :D

Final node count: 203/236.

Overall, it was a fantastic game, took me a few months to plow through it, but it was certainly worth it. I truly and utterly hope Atlas creates a sequel to it.

Also, Aht is a mini-God. That's all.

Dear GAF, I have a question because the whole time travel is really starting to confuse me. I understand how going to the past could change the future but the game doesn't do a very good job of explaining why events in the other timeline could affect the timeline I'm in. Even if it's just a game, it feels like something that needs explaining.

Anyway, I have a specific plot question. Spoilered, but it's not really that important and it's only Chapter 1 so you probably don't need to worry about highlighting it!

I am in the history in which I chose to stay with Heiss. I am told to go to Granorg through Sand Fortress, but first I have to go and find an informant in Lazvil Hills. I met him, and the story in the White Chronicle says that he turned up "thanks to Stocke's actions in the other timeline." I've done barely anything in the other timeline and I can't work out what the hell it's talking about. I've probably just forgotten something, but what did I do to make him show up?

Thanks!

toythatkills said:
Anyway, I have a specific plot question. Spoilered, but it's not really that important and it's only Chapter 1 so you probably don't need to worry about highlighting it!

I am in the history in which I chose to stay with Heiss. I am told to go to Granorg through Sand Fortress, but first I have to go and find an informant in Lazvil Hills. I met him, and the story in the White Chronicle says that he turned up "thanks to Stocke's actions in the other timeline." I've done barely anything in the other timeline and I can't work out what the hell it's talking about. I've probably just forgotten something, but what did I do to make him show up?

Thanks!
When you first enter Alma mines in Alternate History, you meet the informant and your visit triggers him to leave for Lazvil Hills. I seem to recall it's kind of subtle, so I wouldn't be surprised if you missed it.

Aveyn Knight said:
When you first enter Alma mines in Alternate History, you meet the informant and your visit triggers him to leave for Lazvil Hills. I seem to recall it's kind of subtle, so I wouldn't be surprised if you missed it.
Ah, I do remember that. Yeah, that was pretty subtle! I can happily move on now, though. Cheers!

I have a quick question. I've been playing this game like crazy the past two days. I've logged 23 hours into it so far. I've gotten up to
Alternate History: Chapter 6
and that timeline just *feels* over. I've been hearing that this game is 40 or so hours, but I am worried that I'm going to be nearing the end far sooner than I expected. Is there any more of the
alternate timeline after chapter 6?
because the other timeline also screams endgame to me right now because
I just fought Viola and it seems like Hugo is going to be the next target...

Is the game going to take an unexpected turn or am I pretty much done with the game in almost half the time it was said to take?

Instro

Obsessed said:
I have a quick question. I've been playing this game like crazy the past two days. I've logged 23 hours into it so far. I've gotten up to
Alternate History: Chapter 6
and that timeline just *feels* over. I've been hearing that this game is 40 or so hours, but I am worried that I'm going to be nearing the end far sooner than I expected. Is there any more of the
alternate timeline after chapter 6?
because the other timeline also screams endgame to me right now because
I just fought Viola and it seems like Hugo is going to be the next target...

Is the game going to take an unexpected turn or am I pretty much done with the game in almost half the time it was said to take?

Theres more after that chapter, but you're definitely moving quick. I take it you didnt do any of the sidequests?

Instro said:
Theres more after that chapter, but you're definitely moving quick. I take it you didnt do any of the sidequests?

Hmm... I've taken the sidequests about halfway. I've collected the items for them, but I just haven't bothered traveling back to the specific nodes to deliver them. I was thinking of doing that as I neared the end.

Most (all?) the sidequests are just fetch quests anyway. I don't see how they could add that much time to the game.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Obsessed said:
Hmm... I've taken the sidequests about halfway. I've collected the items for them, but I just haven't bothered traveling back to the specific nodes to deliver them. I was thinking of doing that as I neared the end.

Most (all?) the sidequests are just fetch quests anyway. I don't see how they could add that much time to the game.
Ten or twelve of the sidequests are needed for the True Ending. Some sidequests also allow your characters to gain extra skills to make them more useful.

Dark Schala said:
Ten or twelve of the sidequests are needed for the True Ending. Some sidequests also allow your characters to gain extra skills to make them more useful.

I've taken care of a great deal of sidequests. I'm probably going to stop and hope I get the basic ending. Then I will replay the game, finish all the nodes, and then beat the game again for the True Ending.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Wow, I am loving the visual style of this game. Very unique, especially on DS. I like the artistic design behind the starting city-thing, its slightly steampunk, but not in the cliche ways.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Okay, I am slightly confused by the "resonance" thing though. So if I stop the explosive theft in the main timeline, it also stops it in the secondary timeline, even though I didn't actually do anything there?

The_Technomancer said:
Okay, I am slightly confused by the "resonance" thing though. So if I stop the explosive theft in the main timeline, it also stops it in the secondary timeline, even though I didn't actually do anything there?
Correct. No, it doesn't make much sense.

Aru

Thanks GAF for recommanding me this game. It's absolutely awesome. Only 6 hours in and this game seems to be a 10/10 mark entry for now. Should be up there where Chrono Trigger and TWEWY.
I'll finish the game before giving such a mark though :p

Mistle

Started this up last night. Seems pretty good so far, great visual style and battle system. Dialogue seems well translated, and the whole time travel aspect is great.

My only complaint is it seems a bit too serious and a bit too gritty in terms of dialogue and characters, if you know what I mean. Does it ever lighten up? Do the characters and story become more playful (for example, like Skies of Arcadia or FF9)?

Also, I'm still at the very beginning and made the decision to stay with Heiss instead of going with the other guy. Do these types of decisions have a huge impact on the rest of the game, or do they only affect small parts of it? Is there a right/wrong decision that you'll always have to go back in time and choose the correct path, or is the game free and will allow you to choose your own?

Ledsen

Mistle said:
Started this up last night. Seems pretty good so far, great visual style and battle system. Dialogue seems well translated, and the whole time travel aspect is great.

My only complaint is it seems a bit too serious and a bit too gritty in terms of dialogue and characters, if you know what I mean. Does it ever lighten up? Do the characters and story become more playful (for example, like Skies of Arcadia or FF9)?

Also, I'm still at the very beginning and made the decision to stay with Heiss instead of going with the other guy. Do these types of decisions have a huge impact on the rest of the game, or do they only affect small parts of it? Is there a right/wrong decision that you'll always have to go back in time and choose the correct path, or is the game free and will allow you to choose your own?

You'll have to go back and forth between the two timelines because you won't be able to progress in one until you've done a certain thing in the other. So it's like you're playing both at the same time. If you make a wrong choice, it usually leads to a Game Over right away.

Mistle

Ledsen said:
You'll have to go back and forth between the two timelines because you won't be able to progress in one until you've done a certain thing in the other. So it's like you're playing both at the same time. If you make a wrong choice, it usually leads to a Game Over right away.
Ah okay, that sounds interesting actually. I guess I'll find out more if I keep playing, but I was just curious how the system works.

Man I hate the sound of footsteps in this game :/ Other than that game looks and plays great. I hope I can get used to the sound... Did it annoy anyone else?

Mistle said:

The story stays serious and dark throughout. Despite some occasional moments where the characters are allowed to rest, I can't think of any moments that could truly be described as light.

Melhisedek said:
Man I hate the sound of footsteps in this game :/ Other than that game looks and plays great. I hope I can get used to the sound... Did it annoy anyone else?

The footsteps bothered me at first, but after an hour or two I hardly noticed them.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Mistle said:

Not really... like the poster above me said, it stays pretty dark and dreary throughout as it's a tale that takes place during a war between nations.
But if you're looking for lighthearted, you should try out Trails in the Sky on PSP if you have one. :)

Also, if you want to do sidequests, it's best to find a sidequest FAQ to do them so that the time traveling doesn't become stale towards the end if you're going to try for the true ending.

hamchan

5 hours into this game now and I feel the story is starting to get quite interesting now. I'm liking the battle system, moving enemies around and changing turn positions to create huge combos is fun.

I also quite like the music so far. When I first heard the boss music I thought it was damn good and it reminded me of Kingdom Hearts music. Sure enough, when I looked it up Yoko Shimomura is the composer.

Damn nice game I must say.

EDIT: 9 Hours in now. Things have totally gone to shit in AH:Ch 2, wowzers.

Magnus

So, wow. I'm literally only five minutes into this, and I just had to say, there's a visual and aural charm to this game I'm already in love with.

This track that's playing right after Marco and Raynie join me....man. It's haunting and gorgeous. I almost wouldn't be surprised if this was Shimomura, it's so KH-esque.... it is Shimomura, isn't it?

Man. This is gorgeous.

Magnus said:
So, wow. I'm literally only five minutes into this, and I just had to say, there's a visual and aural charm to this game I'm already in love with.

This track that's playing right after Marco and Raynie join me....man. It's haunting and gorgeous. I almost wouldn't be surprised if this was Shimomura, it's so KH-esque.... it is Shimomura, isn't it?

It is.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
I've been playing this for almost two months now and still haven't finished. About 28 hours in. I've basically resorted to playing this only on the toilet for the last few weeks simply because I don't want it to end. I also didn't expect the main story of the game to be this long either. I'm finally at the end though. Sigh. Best game I've played since Demon's Souls and I finished that one too fast too..must..drag..out..

Diablos

I should sell my PSP and get a DS. This game looks fucking amazing, and there are so many other RPG's for it as well.

hamchan

13 hours in now. SH:Ch3 and wow, Stocke just (pretty big spoilers)
killed Rosch holy crap.

So yeah, this is one of the best JRPGs I've played in years.

TheExodu5

Banned
I haven't played much yet...just past the introductory mission. This game reminds me a lot of Suikoden. Very happy with it so far.

Mistle said:

I hope it doesn't get too playful, to be honest. There is room in the world for more dark political RPGs. :)

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
hamchan said:
13 hours in now. SH:Ch3 and wow, Stocke just (pretty big spoilers)
killed Rosch holy crap.
Stuff like this kept me engaged in the game for sure. My personal favourite "oh man, this game is amazing" point was the ending of AH Chapter 2.

The Exodu5 said:
I haven't played much yet...just past the introductory mission. This game reminds me a lot of Suikoden. Very happy with it so far.
That's the initial vibe I got too. :)

TheExodu5

Banned
This is one of the best turn based JRPG battle system ever.

Also one of the best soundtracks in a while. I'm not sure why some people are so down on it. :(

0 HP

yeah...this game is fucking great. between this and nier, i feel like i owe GAF for my two favorite games this gen.

Top Bottom