• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Radiant Historia |OT|: Change the Past to Save the Future

Spwn

It would be interesting to see some sales figures. The game has most certainly exceeded the expectations Atlus had for it's sales.

MooMoo

Only about an hour in and I must say, I'm glad I bought this game :D I think I'll never doubt an Atlus game again.

Cataferal

Digital Foundry
Just picked this up for £27.50 on VGP.

Amazon UK are selling it for £80... so even if I don't like it, I can probably make my money back. I haven't read most of this thread, so anything good that might come of it will be a surprise.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Wow, all the "Defense up" or "Attack down" skills are really useful, huh? There are a lot of fights where the opponents hit REALLY hard! :eek:

nemesun

Just beat the game, the last battle was quite challenging . This game is a must have for every RPG fan out there; I put it right up there alongside Chrono Trigger.

I'm slowly plugging along through this game while studying for finals. I would probably have it done by now if not for that. Just hit chapter 3. Shit definitely just got real.

nemesun

-Pyromaniac- said:
I'm slowly plugging along through this game while studying for finals. I would probably have it done by now if not for that. Just hit chapter 3. Shit definitely just got real.
I know what you mean, bought RH coupla of weeks ago but didn't have the time to play. This weekend I decided to go at it like crazy. It's probably going to take you 35hrs to beat the game.

MooMoo

So I'm a bit further in the game now and I've hit a couple points where new party members are introduced. My general question is is it worth training these new peeps? Will they eventually disappear/become completely inaccessible? Given how the game operates (i.e. time travel + enemies respawn) I feel like it couldn't hurt to train them. I'm so happy I bought this game :3 I have a tendency to make the wrong choices though. Poor Stocke, I'm making him look like a terrible Specint agent haha.

nemesun said:
I know what you mean, bought RH coupla of weeks ago but didn't have the time to play. This weekend I decided to go at it like crazy. It's probably going to take you 35hrs to beat the game.
lol I won't be able to have one of those crazy sessions until after April 20th. But as soon as that day passes I'm gonna go balls out and finish it by the end of that weekend.

nemesun

MooMoo said:
So I'm a bit further in the game now and I've hit a couple points where new party members are introduced. My general question is is it worth training these new peeps? Will they eventually disappear/become completely inaccessible? Given how the game operates (i.e. time travel + enemies respawn) I feel like it couldn't hurt to train them. I'm so happy I bought this game :3 I have a tendency to make the wrong choices though. Poor Stocke, I'm making him look like a terrible Specint agent haha.
The only party member I would really, really recommend leveling up is Aht. She's usually with you throughout the game and utterly useful at the end game.

MooMoo

nemesun said:
The only party member I would really, really recommend leveling up is Aht. She's usually with you throughout the game and utterly useful at the end game.
Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. I just got her and when I took a glance at her stats she seemed pretty weak so I was initially planning to leave her untouched. This is definitely one RPG where I don't mind grinding since the battle system is so satisfying.

nemesun

MooMoo said:
Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. I just got her and when I took a glance at her stats she seemed pretty weak so I was initially planning to leave her untouched. This is definitely one RPG where I don't mind grinding since the battle system is so satisfying.
The neat thing about this game is you travel through time; that means you can go back to past nodes and grind if you feel the need. so I wouldn't recommend using her because of her weak MD,D stats at the very beginning, at least not until you get her a giant cape. Stick with your main party for now.

Raynie will come handy also.

MooMoo said:
Aht is really awesome because she gets an attack that does decent damage and launches enemies into the air in a cross shape. She can also build up combos really fast with an attack she gets later on.

MooMoo

Thanks for the tips guys! Aht sounds awesome now. Raynie is cool too. I'm still early game, but she seems to be my main damage dealer since she tends to attack twice as much as everyone else. So typically I'll use the other two characters to get as many characters into one square and she'll dish out a double attack, which makes me really appreciate how they made the battle/MP system. I also have this habit where if there's only one enemy left I'll change positions such that I can make 9-10 attacks in a row. It's a time waster and totally unnecessary but I can't help myself lol.

nemesun

hypersheep said:
Aht is really awesome because she gets an attack that does decent damage and launches enemies into the air in a cross shape. She can also build up combos really fast with an attack she gets later on.
With her Super & G-Area heal + Cross fire you'll pretty much become invincible by the end. Awesome character.

nemesun

MooMoo said:
Thanks for the tips guys! Aht sounds awesome now. Raynie is cool too. I'm still early game, but she seems to be my main damage dealer since she tends to attack twice as much as everyone else. So typically I'll use the other two characters to get as many characters into one square and she'll dish out a double attack, which makes me really appreciate how they made the battle/MP system. I also have this habit where if there's only one enemy left I'll change positions such that I can make 9-10 attacks in a row. It's a time waster and totally unnecessary but I can't help myself lol.
Good strategy particularly for the boss fights.

Riposte

Okay so I just started this game. Played for a couple hours. So my impressions only reach so far.

The storyline isn't as nearly as RPGish as I'd thought it would be. For example the line for the OP:

Your Choices Matter - Difficult decisions face you at every turn. Who will you side with? Who will you choose to help? Your choices progress the story and bring you to drastically different ends. Return to previous choices to initiate changes whose effects ripple throughout the timelines.

Is this really true?

The storyline seems to be set up in a way where you are following two quests at once and you need to switch back and forth every time you hit a roadblock. None of your choices really matter aside from the single one which splits the timeline. Every other choice I have encountered gives two results: 1) Get a "Game Over" story sequence made up text. 2) Reach a roadblock where you need to visit the other history to pass it. So really rather linear. It is an interesting way to tell a story.

Another thing on my mind is how easy to might be the grind out an overpowered team. I tend to avoid fights, but I am still keeping up fine and I get a bunch of levels out of the randoms I do fight.

hipgnosis

Have played about 25h, really enjoying this title. Just reached AH Chapter 6. What party would you guys recommend at this point? I'm thinking going with Stocke, Aht and Raynie. Is this okay for the endgame?

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Riposte said:
Okay so I just started this game. Played for a couple hours. So my impressions only reach so far.

The storyline isn't as nearly as RPGish as I'd thought it would be. For example the line for the OP:

Is this really true?

The storyline seems to be set up in a way where you are following two quests at once and you need to switch back and forth every time you hit a roadblock. None of your choices really matter aside from the single one which splits the timeline. Every other choice I have encountered gives two results: 1) Get a "Game Over" story sequence made up text. 2) Reach a roadblock where you need to visit the other history to pass it. So really rather linear. It is an interesting way to tell a story.

Another thing on my mind is how easy to might be the grind out an overpowered team. I tend to avoid fights, but I am still keeping up fine and I get a bunch of levels out of the randoms I do fight.

Well it's true in one sense, but the game's really great about not punishing the player for making those wrong/crazy choices. Yeah, you get a little text and game over, but those game overs are actually really well thought out. You made a poor choice here, these are the consequences, Stocke's story ends, but try again! Some of the game over screens come at some really surprising places that aren't so obvious. They really add flavor to the overall story.

Yes, you're right, the game is linear in that there's one right path for both quests, but I enjoyed stumbling upon those decisions that steer the story into oblivion because some of them I made with honest and good intentions.

As for being overpowered, I doubt it, I fought 99% of all fights 20 hours into the game and still got stuck a bit at a certain point due to being underleveled. I did mix and match characters though.

nemesun

hipgnosis said:
Have played about 25h, really enjoying this title. Just reached AH Chapter 6. What party would you guys recommend at this point? I'm thinking going with Stocke, Aht and Raynie. Is this okay for the endgame?
I finished the game with the exact same three. Aht was my healer, Raynie was more or less my headman (G-fire, G-Frost, G-Thunder) left, right, center; Stocke was the inbetweener.

nemesun

worldrevolution said:
Well it's true in one sense, but the game's really great about not punishing the player for making those wrong/crazy choices. Yeah, you get a little text and game over, but those game overs are actually really well thought out. You made a poor choice here, these are the consequences, Stocke's story ends, but try again! Some of the game over screens come at some really surprising places that aren't so obvious. They really add flavor to the overall story.

Yes, you're right, the game is linear in that there's one right path for both quests, but I enjoyed stumbling upon those decisions that steer the story into oblivion because some of them I made with honest and good intentions.

As for being overpowered, I doubt it, I fought 99% of all fights 20 hours into the game and still got stuck a bit at a certain point due to being underleveled. I did mix and match characters though.
I concur.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
hipgnosis said:
That's a pretty good party. I would recommend getting some of the extra skills to improve all characters' usefulness in battle, though. I did that for Gafka and the guy led my party to victory every time with Wind God Strike (strikes all enemies on the field and groups them all in the centre for massive combo damage), Musou and Triple Strike. SO GOOD.

So... my party for the most part was Stocke/Aht/Gafka. Aht for traps/buffing/healing, Gafka for muscle, and Stocke (with a high magic stat for backup healing/swordplay/magic). I did switch out Aht for Marco for the final battle though--Marco can take more of a beating, and he has Trans-turn/healing/a ton of buffs.

I'm pretty sure you can get away with ANYONE, though. As long as you feel comfortable with your party, go for it.

So hey guys. Remember when stock of the game was so low prices shot up? Well now it's one of Amazon's game deals of the day. $28. Though if you're reading post 800-something, you've probably got yours.

Zwei

JoshuaJSlone said:
So hey guys. Remember when stock of the game was so low prices shot up? Well now it's one of Amazon's game deals of the day. $28. Though if you're reading post 800-something, you've probably got yours.

Link?

JoshuaJSlone said:

I think I might have to pick it up! I can't find a local copy anywhere!

li bur

To those who have finished the game: can I just go to another node after finishing the game or did I have to start a new game to get all endings?

Yuterald

li bur said:
To those who have finished the game: can I just go to another node after finishing the game or did I have to start a new game to get all endings?

There is no reason to ever start over if you are concerned about doing/seeing everything. You cannot miss a single thing in this game and after the game concludes you can go back and see/collect/do anything you may have missed. So yes, just go to another node to see the alternate (bad) endings.

Zhengi

So I finally got around to playing this game this weekend, and I easily put in 10 hours into it. This is definitely a great game. I just wish I had more time to go back and keep playing it. I can't wait for the summer to roll around so that I will have more time to play this game. I have not enjoyed a JRPG as much as this one in a long time.

Jazzem

Might have to grab a copy of this while in New York...Have seen it for $35 :) No idea when I'll get round to playing it but sounds like it's going to become very difficult to find.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Man, this thread needs to be more active. This is like the RPG of the year.

Finally got past the part I was stuck at..I ended up grinding a bit but actually what worked was switching up my team a bit. I like Raynie and Marco but something doesn't gel with them in tough fights. Gafka is a beast though..

Guys,
about this game. I understand the premise that you have to go back in time and do stuff differently in order to continue. But is it trial and error or? Does it feel like waste of time? Like lets say you have a choice of going left, right and straight ahead... Straight is the "correct" path.... If I take left and right and get to dead end on both after some gaming doesn't it feel boring?

Noxia

Neo Member
I have a PAL 3DS, am I right in thinking that region lock only applies to 3DS games and I should be able to import this game and play it fine?

Melhisedek said:
Guys,
about this game. I understand the premise that you have to go back in time and do stuff differently in order to continue. But is it trial and error or? Does it feel like waste of time? Like lets say you have a choice of going left, right and straight ahead... Straight is the "correct" path.... If I take left and right and get to dead end on both after some gaming doesn't it feel boring?
For the most part the big trial and error stuff is built into the story. Example: A battle goes poorly due to camouflaged bombs hidden in your base. So the battle does not go well, but by hopping over to the other timeline you'll be able to gain the ability to see these hidden objects, and hop back to the original timeline and clear out the bombs before the battle.

There are the points where you actually make decisions and only one is correct, but it usually doesn't feel like like a waste. For one, because it's interesting to see the bad endings, even if they're short and mostly text; and the amount of game time it kicks you back before you reach the decision point again is usually pretty small. For another it's usually fairly clear which is the "right" decision. To take an example from the game, there's a point where some forces need a leader in battle. The choice left to you is whether to try harder to get the demoralized companion you were serving under to take the job, or to not force the issue and leave the job to the next best option.
Noxia said:
I have a PAL 3DS, am I right in thinking that region lock only applies to 3DS games and I should be able to import this game and play it fine?
Some DSi games are locked as well, but regular DS games like this one are fine.

Instro

Finally finished this game yesterday, not sure why it took me so long considering Ive had it for well over a month. Anyway , absolutely loved Radiant Historia its a fantastic jrpg and easily one of the best of this gen.

I think my only real gripe was that some plot points were made so damn obvious long before they were actually revealed
Stocke being Ernst for example.
Also I would have liked the game to be slightly more difficult, pretty much the only time I died was trying to kill optional enemies like the giant white spider in the gladiator battles too early. Everything else about the game though is pretty much golden, the battle system is very engaging and fun, the way the story unfolds is awesome, and I enjoyed all of the characters as well.

I ended up finishing the game with all of my characters in the upper 50's except for
Eruca
. Time is just over 36 hours, and 204/236 events complete. I havent seen the true ending yet so Im looking forward to getting that.

With any luck this game has sold well enough to warrant a sequel at some point in the future, and I would certainly be there day 1 if they ever do make a second game. Considering this appears to be a relatively small budget title, I'm pretty optimistic that the game has done well for Atlus.

Instro said:
Everything else about the game though is pretty much golden, the battle system is very engaging and fun
It's been too long since I enjoyed battling in a standard RPG so much. Trading turns, knocking enemies into each other, and going for big combos is great fun.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I just found fifty bucks that I think a grandparent gave me over the holidays.

First thing I thought of was this game. Lets see what its going for on Amazon.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Instro said:
Finally finished this game yesterday, not sure why it took me so long considering Ive had it for well over a month. Anyway , absolutely loved Radiant Historia its a fantastic jrpg and easily one of the best of this gen.

I think my only real gripe was that some plot points were made so damn obvious long before they were actually revealed
Stocke being Ernst for example.
Same here, I really didn't like how obvious the big reveal was. They drilled it into my head since
Chapter 2
, I think. A little subtlety would have been nice.

You should try your hand at (sidequest spoilers)
Master Vainqueur
. That fight was decently challenging.

Instro

The_Technomancer said:
I just found fifty bucks that I think a grandparent gave me over the holidays.

First thing I thought of was this game. Lets see what its going for on Amazon.

I'm pretty sure its in stock there, so it should just be $35.

Anyway, Ive been trying to finish up the rest of the sidequests, but man some of them are gonna take some time. Especially some of the ones for those extra skills, I missed like half of the scrolls, books, pacts, etc. A few are kind of annoying in that theres only one specific time to meet a certain npc, and theres not a node near enough to that point so you have go redo like 3-4 events just to get the quest.

bubnbob

Banned
Noxia said:

I believe this is the case, yes. Region lock is only in place for 3DS and DSi games.

I'm an expert

This game..so..long. Seriously as epic as a console game.

Vamphuntr

Just started this game. It's pretty interesting so far. So far it seems that there is only one way to solve each problem. You basically go back and forth in both timelines until you trigger something that helps you progress. Do I really get to choose a path later on or do I always have to go back and forth all the time. That would imply that there is only an illusion of choice. Maybe it's because I'm only 5 hours in though. I love the battle system, it's fresh and it makes battle fun.

Top Bottom