• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Radiant Historia |OT|: Change the Past to Save the Future

Luigi87

Just got my copy, very excited to play.

I paid no mind to this until a few days ago, sure, got plenty of the Atlus emails, but I still kind of just passed it by. Then a few days ago a friend said "This looks like a game we should consider picking up" I said perhaps later on, as I had other game commitments... I did see it get good reviews though, so I thought "I wonder what it is about" then I saw time travel and went "damn, I have to get it..."

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
This game had the bad luck of arriving together with Ys I & II, so it'll have to wait.
But these impressions are making the wait painful!!

hitmon

So far I'm glad I blind bought this. Didn't even know about until a few days ago. Loving everything about it so far. The battle system is a lot of fun so far. There seems to be a lot of text though for people who don't like to read.

Instro

Ended up ordering this the other day, copy arrived today, played about an hour and so far Im really enjoying it. Battle system seems cool, story is very interesting, music is fantastic, plus its a nice looking game I like the character art alot. This is shaping up to be a very good RPG, only thing that annoys me is the footstep sound.

sfried

robotzombie said:
Any party members particularly awesome/terrible?
It's hard to say since they all have their combination rearrange-enemy/status-effect/combo-multiplier skills that all have uses given specific situations.

That said, this game is like a culmination of distilling all of the best aspects I liked about 16-bit RPGs (and some things of the 32-bit era as well). Battles, music, writing. Definitely this game's whole is greater than the sum of its parts. Just finished a segment of Chapter 3, and I can keep going on forever, but I need the sleep.
Instro said:
only thing that annoys me is the footstep sound.
Yes, some things seem constrianed by budget. Still it helps that they focused on all of the most important aspects.

JKTrix

I kind of want a JPG of the slipcover case that I can use for Album Art for that piano CD.

Haven't had much chance to play this seriously, just got back to the city after the first little escapade.

Luigi87

Played for about an hour. Not sure what to say that hasn't been said. The game is very interesting, and the combat is fun (I love the way you can change position to set up better combos).

I want to play more, but I'm very exhausted, and have class tomorrow (unless nature grants me snow, so I don't commute to the city I my college is in!).

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Somehow, this game has managed to tear me away from everything else I have going: Rift, Ys I&II, Tactics Ogre, DQVI, and Ghost Detective. Can't put my finger on it, but after 2 hours, it's hooked me.

JKTrix

Just got my first rather abrupt ending. Involved going into a mine or something. 'You won this battle, but Alistel lost the war.' The story description even had a typo in it.

Doesn't waste time sending you back, though.

Clott

Ugh the wait for me will be bad, I am still waiting on my 3DS, no DS gaming for me till I get the future in my hands.

LiK

I watched a live stream of Volcynika play an hour last night. Main character got some massive jugs. Good voice acting.

Yuterald

Just got my Sword Dance field ability. I can now cut down those tall weeds. So cool! I'm hoping this will lead me to some of those skill scrolls I need for that quest. This games design and structure is just so perfect. It's incredibly pleasant to play. There is nothing to worry about simply because of the time travel aspect.

The game keeps introducing new enemy variations as well. Those ground worm guys can't be pushed, etc. and some enemies started to cast heal zones on certain panels so you need to push/pull them out of their position. There is also the crabs that take only poison damage. You actually have to use scan weakness! All of the skills have their uses so far which is rarely the case in a lot of RPGs, especially turn based ones.

Hobbun

I actually am intrigued and interested in the Atlus playthrough later today, but I also don't want to play it in it giving away too much, as I have not started the game yet.

For those of you playing the game, if I saw the first 2-3 hours, would it give away a large part of the beginning story?

Volcynika

LiK said:
I watched a live stream of Volcynika play an hour last night. Main character got some massive jugs. Good voice acting.

Uh, wrong thread :lol

I won't be able to watch the Atlus stream of it, probably. It's 6 PM my time for that, so I'll be at dinner. Someone post anything interesting they learn from it on here or something!

This wasn't even on my radar, but reading this thread and reviews make it very tempting. I'll probably pick up a copy after work. It kind of sucks it was released around the same time as TO and DQ:VI. I don't have time for all these amazing games...

I got my copy from Amazon today, they shipped this and Ys in the same box, which is really weird since they were purchased in two separate orders placed over a month apart. They've never done that before.

JKTrix

Dresden said:
RH might be harder to find later on.
Truth. Even if TO somehow goes out of print, it should be on the PSN forever. No such luxury with RH.

I'll be watching that Atlus stream. Volcynika, did you have any questions you wanted to ask?

Volcynika

JKTrix said:
Truth. Even if TO somehow goes out of print, it should be on the PSN forever. No such luxury with RH.

I'll be watching that Atlus stream. Volcynika, did you have any questions you wanted to ask?

Hm, I'm not particularly good about thinking of questions. Though I do wonder about the localization, if there were any fairly difficult things to translate and make sense to an audience such as us, or was the story written to the point of being fairly easy to localize and make sense to an American audience. I guess I wonder if the localization process had any interesting hitching points or something. I know these guys work really hard on this stuff, but it's always interesting to hear the finer details about anything that might have been really difficult or really easy.

(See I'm bad!)

Yuterald said:
This games design and structure is just so perfect. It's incredibly pleasant to play. There is nothing to worry about simply because of the time travel aspect...

it really is. &, appropriately enough, considering it's about time travel, this game is one of the most substantial retro-style rpgs i've played for a while - really captures the 'adventure' feeling of the better narrative-based 90's games extremely well...

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
A little over 5 hours in and Im enjoying this a lot. Combat is traditional but the grid system definitely freshens things up and keeps things interesting. Rosch and the Ath so far feel wasted and detrimental to your core party since theyre only with you for short time but Im sure things will open up soon and party fluidity will be better. So far this is definitely a keeper, I just hope they keep things interesting with the time travel and it doesnt fall into too much of a routine.

JKTrix

Aram has jokes. "We're playing the first couple of hours of the game, and any of you who have played Atlus RPGs before know that this is about enough to get you to the first save point."

Edit: Turns out this is going to be a one-shot stream that will not be archived. Aram is driving, but there are a handful of other Atlus employees in the chat, also answering questions. But then ustream also cuts off the chat history at a certain point, so... it'll be hard to archive what was asked.

dvolovets

Played for around 40 minutes. I really dig the tone of the game. It's serious without being melodramatic. The art style is easy on the eyes, music's great, and the gameplay seems traditional yet fresh, mostly thanks to the grid system. Definitely seems like a winner so far. :)

JKTrix

He said mine too, when I got denied my request for Album Art :p

Also, I gave shout outs for Volcynica and one of the Atlus guys said 'it's too bad he couldn't make it here'.

Emitan

JKTrix said:

Also, I gave shout outs for Volcynica and one of the Atlus guys said 'it's too bad he couldn't make it here'.
Closest I can find:
Radiant-Historia-Soundtrack-Choice.jpg

Sallokin

I've definitely had more fun playing this game than I have playing most recent RPGs. Such a great old school feel and 15 hours in the battles don't make me want to break my DS in half. Story is getting pretty interesting too.

The_Dude

Damn, I ordered from CD Universe and they apparently haven't received any copies. Looks like I might miss out on the CD :(

JKTrix

lol, I think Atlus is teasing Catherine now. Just got an email that just says 'Do you still like us?' on a pink background, with no link or anything.

JKTrix said:
lol, I think Atlus is teasing Catherine now. Just got an email that just says 'Do you still like us?' on a pink background, with no link or anything.

It looks similar to the Valentine's Day email. I think an announcement is incoming.

Yuterald

I just got access to Chapter 2
(in both time lines).
Gonna start marking for spoilers I suppose. This game never lets up, it keeps introducing new gameplay elements practically every other history node.

I just got access to the
sense field ability which allows me to find hidden items/chests on the field. What this also allowed me to do was defuse all the bombs at the sand fortress that I was unable to see the first time, resulting in the actual defense of the fortress, pretty fucking awesome!

There is so much hidden shit in this game so far too. Once I got the sense field ability I ran through every old dungeon and area and found A TON of hidden green treasure chests with tons of gold and rare items.

Also, did anyone else fight the secret boar enemy in the first hill dungeon yet? It's a sidequest for the second town, some lady wants boar meat for an ultimate recipe and this hidden boar boss becomes available. It's impossible! I am sure I am not supposed to be ready for it, but it's pretty cool that the game allows you to check out all this side stuff at any time.

sfried

Yuterald said:
Also, did anyone else fight the secret boar enemy in the first hill dungeon yet? It's a sidequest for the second town, some lady wants boar meat for an ultimate recipe and this hidden boar boss becomes available. It's impossible! I am sure I am not supposed to be ready for it, but it's pretty cool that the game allows you to check out all this side stuff at any time.
The trick is to
take advantage of those two "Kiai" moves that it does. Do turn substitutions with the boar so that you have a gynormous rack of of party moves you can combo. Most effective is Magic Boosting Raine and then Air Assaulting the hog with Stocke followed by a specific magic spell by Raynie...
...which I think you could figure out on your own using a certain Skill.

Although to be honest, don't fight it untill you get Raine's G-Fire Skill
. The trick is to avoid getting attacked by the thing by killing it fast (but that applies to all bosses in general).

Volcynika

JKTrix said:

Ha, yeah.

Though I had a great evening even though I didn't get to watch the stream.

vall03

just played for about an hour or so and I just got to the ability to move in time with the White Chronicle, and as expected, its a really solid game from the translation, music, and gameplay. Will take a break for a while...

I probably would right now, but I just started Xenogears and am trying to finish Chrono Trigger, ha. So my plate is kind of full. I just found out about it today and did some reading/research on it, and it definitely looks like my kind of game.

sfried

SafeinSound said:
I probably would right now, but I just started Xenogears and am trying to finish Chrono Trigger, ha. So my plate is kind of full. I just found out about it today and did some reading/research on it, and it definitely looks like my kind of game.
Funny you mentioned those two games, because this game is essentially like Chrono Trigger in pacing minus the whimsy, mixed with the Xenogears engine and seriousness minus the asspulling and crap you get
especially from the second disk of Xenogears

Top Bottom