• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Radiant Historia |OT|: Change the Past to Save the Future

L00P

This game seems pretty lengthy. I mean I'm only at chapter one yet I've clocked at seven hours already.

I'm in CHapter 1 so far, and my only complaint is that the spritework, especially outside of battle, kinda sucks. They don't even look like they fit in with the environment, I've seen SNES games with better sprites.

sfried

Pinko Marx said:
I'm in CHapter 1 so far, and my only complaint is that the spritework, especially outside of battle, kinda sucks. They don't even look like they fit in with the environment, I've seen SNES games with better sprites.
The sprites don't bother me at all. In fact I like Marco's sprite and his animations.

Totakeke

My main complaint so far with the game is its amateurish writing. The plot doesn't bother me as much, but the lack of detail on things that happen for seemingly no reason is pretty jarring.

sfried

Totakeke said:
My main complaint so far with the game is its amateurish writing. The plot doesn't bother me as much, but the lack of detail on things that happen for seemingly no reason is pretty jarring.
Like which instances?

dvolovets

Pinko Marx said:
The sprites themselves are decent, IMO -- the only thing that bothers me is the fact that the main character's sprite only animates in 4 directions, even though you can run in 8. Very minor complaint all around, though; the game is fantastic.

Dresden

sfried said:
Like which instances?
The most jarring one so far is Hugo's speech regarding their Prophet. I didn't mind it much, and most of the time it's all very solid.

As for Stocke, he could easily have been a Squall-esque douchebag, but he just comes across as a stoic, competent hero. Which is good.

Really liking this game. About three hours in.

Dresden said:
The most jarring one so far is Hugo's speech regarding their Prophet...

i don't know - it just sounded like the short version of any number of 'state of the union' speeches i've heard over the decades :) ...

meanwhile, i've put in 12 hours+, & still haven't finished the first chapter. this game's simply amazing (& much better than i'd ever hoped)...

Totakeke

sfried said:
Like which instances?

For me (up to early ch2 spoilers)

It was never explained why the messenger could never arrive for the Heiss' path. After you visited the other path and went back, the messenger arrives, but you were never shown anything that could've stopped him in the first place. Even if you don't want to give reasons, the characters should at least comment on it. They can say it's due to some unknown circumstances or something.

Which brings to the other event regarding the black chronicle powers. It just seems benevolent and the characters never really question it. So it can turn people into sand out of nowhere without having the user being anywhere near? Again, it's not an issue about that power if you really want to make it that way, but the lack of reactions on the characters. Are you just going to naturally accept something that can kill you from anywhere?

backlot

Totakeke said:
For me (up to early ch2 spoilers)

It was never explained why the messenger could never arrive for the Heiss' path. After you visited the other path and went back, the messenger arrives, but you were never shown anything that could've stopped him in the first place. Even if you don't want to give reasons, the characters should at least comment on it. They can say it's due to some unknown circumstances or something.

Which brings to the other event regarding the black chronicle powers. It just seems benevolent and the characters never really question it. So it can turn people into sand out of nowhere without having the user being anywhere near? Again, it's not an issue about that power if you really want to make it that way, but the lack of reactions on the characters. Are you just going to naturally accept something that can kill you from anywhere?
I'm around that same point in the game. Here's what I'm thinking about those issues:
I kinda thought for the messenger thing that Stocke was just tired of waiting. Stocke had to see the messenger in the other timeline to be sure that he intended to make his next appointment before he wanted to waste any more time waiting. Sending out the scouts to find the explosives merchant in Rosche's timeline was kind of like this too. Not the best excuse but this is how I justified it.

And about the sand plague, I think the characters accept it because there's nothing they can really do to stop it. Whenever it has happened so far, the characters haven't had time to dwell on it because they had more pressing issues to attend to. We're not even sure how this plague works at this point but I'm sure it'll be explained eventually.

Totakeke

backlot said:
I'm around that same point in the game. Here's what I'm thinking about those issues:
I kinda thought for the messenger thing that Stocke was just tired of waiting. Stocke had to see the messenger in the other timeline to be sure that he intended to make his next appointment before he wanted to waste any more time waiting. Sending out the scouts to find the explosives merchant in Rosche's timeline was kind of like this too. Not the best excuse but this is how I justified it.

And about the sand plague, I think the characters accept it because there's nothing they can really do to stop it. Whenever it has happened so far, the characters haven't had time to dwell on it because they had more pressing issues to attend to. We're not even sure how this plague works at this point but I'm sure it'll be explained eventually.

Yeah, I mean it's not too big of an issue in the big picture, but it's still jarring nonetheless. As for second thing, I'm not referring to the sand plague but the ability of the black chronicle to do stuffs out of nowhere. Making bombs invisible? Turning people into sand? It feels like it basically can do anything the writer wants out of it at this point which is hardly good storytelling.

survivor

Banned
Every time I touch this game I play it for 10 hours and then only get forced to put it down so I can sleep.

I think I'm at the end of Chapter 3 for both histories or I might have got to Chapter 4 in one of them. I have a question about the nodes. There are about 3 or so main nodes that still have a branch empty. There is the first one where you make the choice to pick a side and there is one where it begins with you in a bar and then Kiel comes to give you a message. Just wondering if those branches will get filled as part of the storyline or if I have to do something extra for them

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Got the game, will be giving it a go after Ys Chronicles.

How's the story btw? Should I expect it to be on Chrono Trigger level?

Amir0x

Banned
Izayoi said:
This game is fucking gorgeous.

How do they pull this shit off on the DS.

i like this game but this most definitely does not remotely seem out of DS capabilities. It's 2D sprites in the same ancient, archaic pixelated low geometry 3D backgrounds we've come to see on all DS games. I mean personally I wish they went all 2D, I always hated the clash - and it's even worse when the clash is against mid-PSOne/N64 tier geometry.

Izayoi

Banned
Amir0x said:
i like this game but this most definitely does not remotely seem out of DS capabilities. It's 2D sprites in the same ancient, archaic pixelated low geometry 3D backgrounds we've come to see on all DS games. I mean personally I wish they went all 2D, I always hated the clash - and it's even worse when the clash is against mid-PSOne/N64 tier geometry.
Really? I think it works brilliantly and is rather impressive.

In my opinion, it's the best looking DS game that I've played.

Dragon Quest IX was nice, but it seemed uninspired. Golden Sun was nice too, but I think that I'm just a sucker for games that combine 2D and 3D like this. I find it rather charming.

I know somebody is about to post a link to The Wizard of Oz but I haven't played it so it doesn't count.
Ha.

Amir0x

Banned
Izayoi said:
Really? I think it works brilliantly and is rather impressive.

In my opinion, it's the best looking DS game, period.

Dragon Quest IX was nice, but it seemed uninspired. Golden Sun was nice too, but I think that I'm just a sucker for games that combine 2D and 3D like this. I find it rather charming.

I know somebody is about to post a link to The Wizard of Oz but I haven't played it so it doesn't count.
Ha.

Golden Sun was fuuuugly, bleeck.

I'm not saying it's not, er, good for DS technical capabilities, I'm just saying it doesn't remotely appear out of its range of abilities. The sprites are just 2D sprites, which tax the system relatively little compared to the geometry, which itself contains all the character of a typical DS 3D game - including the pixelation, the low poly count and general blocky nature of N64/PSOne type games.

Izayoi

Banned
Amir0x said:
Golden Sun was fuuuugly, bleeck.
Now that's just ridiculous.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VwT8qhVFLQ

Amir0x said:
I'm not saying it's not, er, good for DS technical capabilities, I'm just saying it doesn't remotely appear out of its range of abilities. The sprites are just 2D sprites, which tax the system relatively little compared to the geometry, which itself contains all the character of a typical DS 3D game - including the pixelation, the low poly count and general blocky nature of N64/PSOne type games.
It seems to be pushing some very complex geometry. The pan over when the game started, the first area in the woods, and then
Historia
all looked really detailed and intricate to me. Not only that, but it manages to maintain a perfect framerate the whole time, something that can't be said of Golden Sun and especially Dragon Quest.

It could be that I'm just attached to the visual style and nostalgia has got the best of me, but it really does seem impressive.

Amir0x

Banned
Izayoi said:

I'm not getting into this. There's no way I'm ever going to call Golden Sun pretty. That it was such a downgrade from the original relatively attractive 2D just compounded the issue. I'll never understand the mindset of those who can accept jaggies everywhere, poor framerate (in Golden Sun whenever you get a scene with like seven or more characters on it, the framerate dips), super low poly counts etc.

Izayoi said:
It seems to be pushing some very complex geometry. The pan over when the game started, the first area in the woods, and then
Historia
all looked really detailed and intricate to me. Not only that, but it manages to maintain a perfect framerate the whole time, something that can't be said of Golden Sun and especially Dragon Quest.

It could be that I'm just attached to the visual style and nostalgia has got the best of me, but it really does seem impressive.

I guess it's all depends on how tolerate you are of N64/PSOne era visuals. You may think visuals from that era are pretty - I clearly don't - my only point was that Radiant Historia does not display a single visual flair that is not eminently indicative of the platform's hilariously underpowered nature. It has all the trademarks. Also, unlike Golden Sun, it's got sprites which obviously take a load off on the technical end of the spectrum freeing up more for the surrounding geometry. Nonetheless, it is what it is.

The best looking DS game is World Ends With You.

Izayoi

Banned
Amir0x said:
I'm not getting into this. There's no way I'm ever going to call Golden Sun pretty. That it was such a downgrade from the original relatively attractive 2D just compounded the issue. I'll never understand the mindset of those who can accept jaggies everywhere, poor framerate (in Golden Sun whenever you get a scene with like seven or more characters on it, the framerate dips), super low poly counts etc.
But it's on the DS. That's what we have to accept, there isn't much way around it.

How do you play any DS games at all?

Amir0x said:
I guess it's all depends on how tolerate you are of N64/PSOne era visuals. You may think visuals from that era are pretty - I clearly don't - my only point was that Radiant Historia does not display a single visual flair that is not eminently indicative of the platform's hilariously underpowered nature. It has all the trademarks. Also, unlike Golden Sun, it's got sprites which obviously take a load off on the technical end of the spectrum freeing up more for the surrounding geometry. Nonetheless, it is what it is.

The best looking DS game is World Ends With You.
I loved TWEWY but I would hardly call it the best looking game on the system.

I don't think we'll ever agree on this. I'm not a 2D purist so stuff like Golden Sun going full 3D doesn't bother me in the least.

I judge a game based off of what I know the system is capable of. If you don't, how could you play anything except for PC games? Every piece of fixed hardware has limitations, you just have to accept those limitations for what they are and judge the games produced under them off of that criteria, or you'll be disappointed 100% of the time.

That's why I can still go back to N64-era games and say, "Yeah, that looks really good for what the system was capable of." I think I would hate gaming as a whole if I couldn't.

Amir0x

Banned
It's not difficult to understand, really. My standards aren't on a sliding scale. I have consistent beliefs, which don't arbitrarily change because one system decides to be stuck in the stone age. My beliefs only change when a newer, better standard arrives which I had no way of being around prior.

But yeah, agree to disagree. I don't want to get into THIS discussion, which usually ends with half the thread whining about fine wine and how anyone can appreciate black and white movies (sarcastically, of course) and false labels of trolling.

I love Radiant Historia, one of the first jRPGs I've liked since Demon Souls. I was just saying that the game is CLEARLY within the technical limitations of DS and does not look at all like it's doing something remarkable for the platform, either artistically or technically.

At least World Ends With You looks artistically sound; all DS 3D games look technically deficient.

mjc

Is there a special ability for cutting down the crystals? There's a bunch of them in the mines but my sword doesn't cut them down.

survivor

Banned
mjc said:
Is there a special ability for cutting down the crystals? There's a bunch of them in the mines but my sword doesn't cut them down.
Keep playing. At one point your sword will get stronger to cut them down.

Amir0x

Banned
Volcynika said:
Guys, that's the important part of the post. Amir0x enjoying himself!

:p

Yeah, it's really good. The timeline selection thing is brilliant and really makes the game have a special type of open ended nature that is really appealing to me. The battle system is unique and feels extremely fun. Literally my only complaints so far is that the music is kinda not memorable, and the mixture of 2D sprites with poor 3D backgrounds (always hated that in games).

It's a fantastic way to close out my DS career. A highlight of the system imo.

mjc

survivor said:
Keep playing. At one point your sword will get stronger to cut them down.
Ah, I figured as much. I'm really enjoying it so far though, great combat and the alternate histories are a great idea.

Dresden

About four hours into the game now.

The timeline stuff is pretty damn cool. I was on the first chapter of the "Standard History" route, but when I went back to
learn sword-dancing to get past the patrol with the Satyros group (how do you learn it, anyways?)
, I ended up doing other junk and long story short, now I'm going through the "Alternate History" stuff. Also got about three of those insta-ends along the way.

I'm really loving the batte system. You can do some pretty neat things with pushing and such. Also, has anyone noticed that monsters in Standard History are more difficult than monsters in Alternate History?

Luigi87

sfried said:
Am I the only one who tries to voluntarily get all the non-standard game over endings?

I'm doing so also, as I am thinking that's the only way to 100% all the story pieces.

Though everyt ime I don't intentionally get one,
see the text explaining what went wrong, and wind back in Historia to "Welcome back, Stocke" I can't help but go "goddammit, not again!"

This game sounds awesome :) Will definitely be the next game I buy...how long that is depends on how much time I take to complete DQ IX/SMT SJ.

Long live Atlus/tri-Ace.

Grzi

Loving the game so far. Definitely one of the best DS JRPGs.

As someone already mentioned, it feels like a mix of Chrono Trigger and Xenogears, but I would also add that there are traces of Suikoden and Legend of Mana in it too. With that said, the game really has an identity of its own. It really feels (looks, sounds, plays) like an upper-class PS1 JRPG, which is probably the best compliment you could give to a game in this genre.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Out of ALL the portable RPGs I have (from GBA,PSP, DS) this is the only one that has grabbed me to where I really want to play it. There are others that good, but I'll only play them if I'm on a trip or have nothing else to do.

Grzi said:
As someone already mentioned, it feels like a mix of Chrono Trigger and Xenogears, but I would also add that there are traces of Suikoden and Legend of Mana in it too. With that said, the game really has an identity of its own. It really feels (looks, sounds, plays) like an upper-class PS1 JRPG, which is probably the best compliment you could give to a game in this genre.

:) :

semiconscious said:
&, appropriately enough, considering it's about time travel, this game is one of the most substantial retro-style rpgs i've played for a while - really captures the 'adventure' feeling of the better narrative-based 90's games extremely well...

while playing rh, it often feels exactly like i'm finally getting around to playing a classic ps1 rpg i missed (the most recent example for me being xenogears last year)...

dvolovets

Just popping in again to say how much I'm enjoying this. Around 4 or 5 hours in and at level
16 for all three of my characters
(dunno if that's considered a spoiler, but just to be safe). I'm still at chapter 1, and looking at the White Chronicle timeline(s), the game seems massive. I'm digging the Fire Emblem-esque tone of the story, as well.

Its a shame more people are taking notice of this game. Working my way through Ch.1 of the Alternate History after hitting a roadblock in Standard. The story stays interesting and the characters aren't annoying like in most jRPGs these days.
Marco is a bro.

Izayoi

Banned
I have a quick question about the timeline. I'm at the very beginning of the game, right after the first choice, so it shouldn't be spoilery to anyone who's played for any decent amount of time.

When I equip my party members with gear in one of the timelines, if I picked the wrong one, will they keep the gear when I go back in time and go a different route?

I'm a penny pincher, so this is very important to me. If I un-equip them right before I go back, do I keep the gear?

Do I have to equip the gear on Stocke for it to stay?

classicdms

Neo Member
Hey, so I seem to be stuck. I need to learn a certain dance from somebody but have no idea where in time to go learn that shit. Any help would be amazing. Doesn't look like there are any FAQs yet.

survivor

Banned
classicdms said:
Hey, so I seem to be stuck. I need to learn a certain dance from somebody but have no idea where in time to go learn that shit. Any help would be amazing. Doesn't look like there are any FAQs yet.
You are with the travelers and need to cross the border check part right? If so then go to the other timeline and keep playing. You need to get to the Sand Fortress and talk with Kiel. He will teach you Swords Dance.

Grzi

Izayoi said:
I have a quick question about the timeline. I'm at the very beginning of the game, right after the first choice, so it shouldn't be spoilery to anyone who's played for any decent amount of time.

When I equip my party members with gear in one of the timelines, if I picked the wrong one, will they keep the gear when I go back in time and go a different route?

I'm a penny pincher, so this is very important to me. If I un-equip them right before I go back, do I keep the gear?

Afaik, any gear you equip on a certain character stays on that character no matter what choices you make and how many times you repeat certain events.

Luigi87

Izayoi said:

Any gear you equip on anyone is retroactive in both timelines, thus always remains equipped unless you unequip it, so equip away!

Edit: Too slow.

Izayoi

Banned
Grzi said:
Afaik, any gear you equip on a certain character stays on that character no matter what choices you make and how many times you repeat certain events.
Thanks! Now I can buy gear without worrying about it. I really appreciate the response.

hipgnosis

Oh damn it, you guys made me import this. Hope this is worth it, wasn't exactly cheap. :D

The music sounds awesome, and I love the artstyle so I'm pretty optimistic.

classicdms

Neo Member
survivor said:
You are with the travelers and need to cross the border check part right? If so then go to the other timeline and keep playing. You need to get to the Sand Fortress and talk with Kiel. He will teach you Swords Dance.
Correct. That little motherfucker, I thought I looked everywhere in the fortress. Will check again. Thanks.

Edit: Found him. Thanks again.

Instro

Amir0x said:
Yeah, it's really good. The timeline selection thing is brilliant and really makes the game have a special type of open ended nature that is really appealing to me. The battle system is unique and feels extremely fun. Literally my only complaints so far is that the music is kinda not memorable, and the mixture of 2D sprites with poor 3D backgrounds (always hated that in games).

It's a fantastic way to close out my DS career. A highlight of the system imo.

Interesting, for me thats one of the highlights of the game, personal taste I suppose. Anyway, I have a question for those of your farther into the game than I. Im finding the game to be pretty easy so far, Im about 3-4 hours in, Ch.1 just met that travel beast troupe. So does it get more difficult because at the moment Im breezing through every fight without much challenge.

LProtag

It gets a little bit harder, there was one part where I was able to go deep into one timeline without jumping into the other and one of the bosses destroyed my party. Once you get more party members you'll have to start rethinking tactics, though the basic kind of tactics tend to work well all the time.

Despera

Banned
I agree with Amir0x, they should've settled for 2D instead of 3D backgrounds. But I also disagree, the soundtrack is excellent.

Anyways, I've never been this hooked on a JRPG since Persona 4 and Demon's Souls. From my initial 2 hour playthrough, the game is brilliant! Anyone hesitant on buying this... Go buy it NOW!!

Top Bottom