• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Radiohead - A Moon Shaped Pool |OT| A Moon Shaped Poo

denx

Myxomatosis is one of the best Radiohead songs period.

Yup.

On the other hand We Suck Young Blood got to be one of the worst songs they've done post-PH. One of the few Radiohead songs I actually dislike. And Scatterbrain is so bland I usually forget about it. HTTT in general is just a bit of a mixed bag, but those are the only two songs I would cut from the album. I'm fine with I Will, but I like the LA version more so I would replace it with that.

Also Punchup is awesome, screw you all.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
I'd get rid of The Gloaming entirely, it's the one non-PH/TKOL Radiohead song that I outright can't listen to. The middle part is good, but the last 50 seconds bother my ears.

An album where nearly half the tracks could be charitably described as "slow" and this is the one you pick out as boring?

Yeah, I've never really liked it. It's okay I guess, but it's never done anything for me!

If we're chopping tracks it's probably going to be We Suck and the Gloaming for me. The leaked version of I Will was much better than the album version as well.

Zach

Hail to the Thief is a really great, if somewhat incohesive, album.

And "Punchup" is no "I will", but I still enjoy it quite a bit.

Hurts my heart to see people ragging on Scatterbrain in here. One of my favorites on the album. Hail to the Thief is all over the fucking place, but I still love it. Tied for best closer with King of Limbs.

ThisOne

Hail to the Thief is their best album. There I said it. I don't expect anyone to agree but I really do feel that way. Kid A and OK Computer tied for 2nd place. This new one really hasn't grabbed me yet.

NotSelf

I think the music was appropriately made for there current age it's more mellow laid back really you can't expect can't much from old men who are just getting older maybe they have one more album in them but I expect it to be even more sedative then this one.

Alright, that does it. Favorite 5 songs off each album in no particular order:

Pablo Honey
Thinking About You
Anyone Can Play Guitar
Vegetable
I Can't
Blowout

The Bends
The Bends
Fake Plastic Trees
Bullet Proof..I Wish I Was
Black Star
Street Spirit (Fade Out)

OK Computer
Airbag
Paranoid Android
Subterranean Homesick Alien
Let Down
The Tourist

Kid A
Everything in Its Right Place
Kid A
Optimistic
In Limbo
Idioteque

Amnesiac
Packt Like Sardines in a Crushd Tin Box
Pyramid Song
Pulk/Pull Revolving Doors
I Might Be Wrong
Like Spinning Plates

Hail To The Thief
Sit Down. Stand Up
Go to Sleep
The Gloaming
There There
A Punchup at a Wedding

In Rainbows
15 Step
Weird Fishes/Arpeggi
All I Need
House of Cards
Videotape

The King Of Limbs
Bloom
Morning Mr Magpie
Lotus Flower
Codex
Give Up The Ghost

A Moon Shaped Pool
Daydreaming
Decks Dark
Ful Stop
Glass Eyes
The Numbers

EP/Disc 2/Misc Songs
Lift
Gagging Order
Bangers and Mash
These Are My Twisted Words
Spectre

bomma_man

HTTT is the only RH where they teeter on the edge of self parody. The lyrics are no more moribund than normal, but combined with the (what feels like) ubiquitous plodding piano chords and longer than average length, it's a slog to get through. There are some great individual songs, but I have no desire to listen to the whole thing through again.

Griss

We're talking about HTTP reorganisation and no one mentioned the tracklist for it that Thom posted on Dead Air Space? (I believe it was a fan post that he picked up and reposted and commented on, but that's like a seal of approval, lol)

I believe it was:
1. There There
2. The Gloaming
3. Sail to the Moon
4. Sit down. Stand up
5. Go to Sleep
6. Where I End and You Begin
7. Scatterbrain
8. 2+2=5
9. Myxomatosis
10. A Wolf at the Door

Maybe this whole thing is an urban legend, but this has been a playlist on my computer for years. I love it and as far as I'm concerned it's the 'legit' HTTT, even if I think Scatterbrain instead of Punch-up is bullshit (and making that switch gives you what I would accept as the best playlist). Moving There There to the start where it belongs is the no-brainer.

teepo

that's a legit tracklist straight from thom and i believe it's what they wish they could've released. the band has admitted they regret having rushed the album out in order to break free from their contract with capitol records.

still annoyed that backdrift was excluded.

Hail to the Thief is their best album. There I said it. I don't expect anyone to agree but I really do feel that way. Kid A and OK Computer tied for 2nd place. This new one really hasn't grabbed me yet.

IMO

Sail to the moon is their greatest song

Probably my top 3 of all time favorite songs I've ever heard.

Fuck I love that song

Might just go top 3 in order:

PH: Blow Out, Anyone Can Play Guitar, Thinking About You
TB: Street Spirit, Fake Plastic Trees, Just
OKC: Lucky, Paranoid Android, Electioneering
KidA: Optimistic, Everything in it's Right Place, Idioteque.
Am: I Might be Wrong, Pyramid Song, Like Spinning Plates
Hail: Where I End and You Begin, There There, Myxomatosis
Rainbows: Reckoner, All I Need, Weird Fishes/Arpeggi
TKOL: Codex, Separator, Bloom
Moon: Ful Stop, Identikit, Daydreaming

IFGAF about Pablo Honey... Thinking About You and Anyone Can Play Guitar are good though.

The Bends, Fake Plastic Trees, Street Spirit, Just, My Iron Lung

Lucky, Climbing Up The Walls, Paranoid Android, Let Down, Subterranean Homesick Alien

Idioteque, Everything in its Right Place, Optimistic, Morning Bell, Motion Picture Soundtrack

Pyramid Song, Like Spinning Plates, Hunting Bears, Packt Like Sardines, Pulk/Pull

Myxomatosis, Where I End And You Begin, 2+2=5, Go To Sleep, There There

Reckoner, All I Need, 15 Step, Jigsaw Falling Into Place, Nude

Codex, Separator (not a huge fan of this album, though the tracks are good live)

Now I'll need some time with this one.

jdw_b

Breaking up the list wars...

A few listens in now and the songs are starting to sink in. I find it takes a few listens before I start "getting" songs, like hearing all the instrumentation and melodies going on.

So yeah, this album is pretty brilliant. The bad-ass bit of Decks Dark near the end, the strings at the end of Daydreaming, the choirs, the build up of Ful Stop...it's just sublime.

I was going to revert back to list wars and do my album ranks, but I genuinely can't separate some of them.

All I know is PH is at the bottom

denx

OK, time to rank the albums:

- Kid A
- In Rainbows
- OK Computer / Amnesiac / A Moon Shaped Pool

- The Bends

- Hail to the Thief
- The King of Limbs

- Pablo Honey

Horseress

IMO

Sail to the moon is their greatest song

Probably my top 3 of all time favorite songs I've ever heard.

Fuck I love that song

Glad I'm not the only one! "Where I end and you begin" is one of my favorite songs of all time

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
This album is so easy to listen to. The songs are so calming and blend together so nicely that it's over before I know it. I really like that; this sounds more unlike Radiohead's other albums than I realized, which is awesome. Can't stop listening.

Blader

that's a legit tracklist straight from thom and i believe it's what they wish they could've released. the band has admitted they regret having rushed the album out in order to break free from their contract with capitol records.

still annoyed that backdrift was excluded.

I like Backdrifts but it runs too long, and as the fourth track on the album it really hurts the pace.

Also, Sail to the Moon is lovely. Maybe the lyrics are kind of cheesy, but taken as a lullaby for Thom's son, I think it's really affecting.

We're talking about HTTP reorganisation and no one mentioned the tracklist for it that Thom posted on Dead Air Space? (I believe it was a fan post that he picked up and reposted and commented on, but that's like a seal of approval, lol)

I believe it was:
1. There There
2. The Gloaming
3. Sail to the Moon
4. Sit down. Stand up
5. Go to Sleep
6. Where I End and You Begin
7. Scatterbrain
8. 2+2=5
9. Myxomatosis
10. A Wolf at the Door

Maybe this whole thing is an urban legend, but this has been a playlist on my computer for years. I love it and as far as I'm concerned it's the 'legit' HTTT, even if I think Scatterbrain instead of Punch-up is bullshit (and making that switch gives you what I would accept as the best playlist). Moving There There to the start where it belongs is the no-brainer.
No Backdrifts? That's my favourite off that album :/

NotLiquid

Radiohead are releasing a 7" of Burn The Witch/Spectre at independent UK record stores on Friday and select stores worldwide "soon".

CiQt4vYW0AAQkS8.jpg

This album is so easy to listen to. The songs are so calming and blend together so nicely that it's over before I know it. I really like that; this sounds more unlike Radiohead's other albums than I realized, which is awesome. Can't stop listening.

It's also making it harder for me to listen to other Radiohead songs lol

Top 5 from each album for me:

Pablo Honey
You
Creep
Vegetable
How Do You?
Stop Whispering

The Bends
Planet Telex
My Iron Lung
Fake Plastic Trees
Sulk
Street Spirit (Fade Out)

OK Computer
Airbag
Paranoid Android
Exit Music (For a Film)
Climbing Up the Walls (originally hated it but grew to be a favorite after seeing live)
Lucky

Kid A
How to Disappear Completely
Optimistic
Morning Bell
Idioteque

Amnesiac
You and Whose Army? (LOVE!)
Pyramid Song
I Might Be Wrong
Knives Out
Like Spinning Plates

Hail To The Thief
2+2=5
The Gloaming
There There
A Punchup at a Wedding
A Wolf at the Door

In Rainbows
15 Step
Bodysnatchers
Weird Fishes/Arpeggi
All I Need
Reckoner

The King Of Limbs
Bloom
Morning Mr Magpie
Lotus Flower
Codex
Little by Little

A Moon Shaped Pool
Burn the Witch
Daydreaming
Decks Dark
Ful Stop
Glass Eyes

megalowho

Fog is one my favorite radiohead songs, underrated!
The B-Sides from the Kid A/Amnesiac sessions are some of my favorite material the group has done. Fog, Cuttooth, Trans-Atlantic Drawl, Kinetic, Worry Wort and The Amazing Sounds of Orgy are all different and great in their own way. Fast Track is the only one I could take or leave.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
There's not a song I flat out don't like on this album, but if I had to name my five favorites so far I think they'd be:

Decks Dark
Glass Eyes
Identikit
Present Tense
True Love Waits

I don't want to listen to this album other than with headphones. Without them the songs sound so bare. Not a good album to listen to at the office, turned way down.

List time!

Pablo Honey
You
Stop Whispering
Vegetable
I Can't *best*
Blow Out

The Bends
Planet Telex
High and Dry
Nice Dream
Bullet Proof
Black Star *best*

OK Computer *best* (holy shit this was hard to narrow down to 5)
Airbag
Let Down *best*
Karma Police
Climbing Up the Walls
No Surprises

Kid A
In Limbo *best*
Idioteque
Morning Bell

Amnesiac
Pyramid Song *best*
You and Whose Army
I Might Be Wrong
Knives Out
Like Spinning Plates

Hail To The Thief
2+2=5
Sit Down, Stand Up
There, There
Scatterbrain
A Wolf at the Door *best*

In Rainbows
15 Step
Nude *best*
Weird Fishes/Arpeggi
All I Need
Jigsaw Falling Into Place

The King Of Limbs
Bloom
Little By Little
Codex
Give Up the Ghost
Separator *best*

A Moon Shaped Pool
Daydreaming *best*
Decks Dark
Desert Island Disk
Ful Stop
Identikit

Reknoc

I love Hail to the Thief, it was my first. Still the end part of Where I End and You Begin was weird to me when I first heard it and still is now.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Fog is one my favorite radiohead songs, underrated!

Fog live (which is on the comlag ep I think?) is incredible.

Ok, my picks. Not listing King of Limbs because I haven't listened to it enough yet.

The Bends
Planet Telex
Fake Plastic Trees
Just
Black Star
Street Spirit

OK Computer (narrowing this down is torture, what an album)
Airbag
Let Down (my all time favorite Radiohead song, and one of my favorite songs full stop.)
Climbing Up the Walls
Lucky

Kid A
Optimistic
Idioteque
Morning Bell

Amnesiac
Pyramid Song
You and Whose Army
Knives Out
Dollars & Cents
Like Spinning Plates (live)

Hail To The Thief
2+2=5
Sail to the Moon
Backdrifts
There, There
A Wolf at the Door

In Rainbows
Bodysnatchers
All I Need
Reckoner
House of Cards

A Moon Shaped Pool
Decks Dark
Ful Stop
Identikit
The Numbers
Present Tense

And now I learned there are people who actually hate Backdrifts. wtf mayne, song is amazing

Blader

Top 5 per album...could be a tough one.

Pablo Honey
You
Creep (I think the song is pretty played out, but watching live versions is fun for how apeshit the audience gets)
Prove Yourself
I Can't
Blow Out

The Bends
Planet Telex
High and Dry
Fake Plastic Trees
Bones
Street Spirit

OK Computer
Airbag
Karma Police
Climbing Up the Walls
The Tourist

Kid A
Everything In Its Right Place
Kid A (really love the live vocoder-free performances)
Optimistic
In Limbo
Idiotque

Amnesiac
Pyramid Song
I Might Be Wrong
Dollars and Cents (live)
Like Spinning Plates (live)
Life in a Glasshouse

Hail to the Thief
Sail to the Moon
Go to Sleep
There There
Myxomatosis
A Wolf at the Door

In Rainbows
Bodysnatchers
Nude
Weird Fishes/Arpeggi
House of Cards

The King of Limbs
Bloom
Lotus Flower
Codex
Give Up The Ghost
Separator

A Moon Shaped Pool
Daydreaming
Decks Dark
Ful Stop
The Numbers
True Love Waits

Well, I guess that wasn't that tough after all!

Top Bottom