• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ratchet & Clank need to go back to its glory days

Topher

Gold Member
Or, What if - bear with me here - Sony actually brought BC to the PS5 instead endless remastering?

That would be great too, but pre-PS4 BC isn't going to happen. I'd rather have remasters than nothing at all.

Last edited:

Lupin25

Rift Apart feels like it was more of a PS5 showpiece than anything else. It’s short, sweet, and filled in a gap at a time us PS5 owners needed next-gen games.

Insomniac working on possibly 4 games (Miles Morales, Spider-Man 2, Wolverine & Rift Apart) at once may have hindered the game’s direction from a narrative standpoint (lack of humour, disengaged plot, etc). Not the best “Ratchet & Clank” entry, but still a great game (8.5/10) regardless.

Last edited:

ckaneo

The comedy in the old ratchet and clank games sucked. The series is fine now, the issue is that it still gets treated as a budget series in terms of development despite insomniacs graphic prowless hiding it

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
That would be great too, but pre-PS4 BC isn't going to happen. I'd rather have remasters than nothing at all.
You're getting a remaster of the Last of Us....which was no doubt numero uno of that titles Sony titles that everyone wanted.

As someone who's been with the series since the original PS2 release, a little added variety to the gameplay to spice things up a little is more important at this point than edgy writing. It wasn't the story, or inclusion of Rivet, that hampered rift apart, but the lack of enemy & useful weapon variety later in the game.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
I'd say "just use PCSX2" but even on my PC with a 5600x and 6650 xt the game still manages to find a way to drop frames in spots where the PS2 original ran along just fine. Although that's more of an issue with the emulator than the game itself.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
As someone who's been with the series since the original PS2 release, a little added variety to the gameplay to spice things up a little is more important at this point than edgy writing. It wasn't the story, or inclusion of Rivet, that hampered rift apart, but the lack of enemy & useful weapon variety later in the game.
I mean i also talked about how the gameplay in the games has basically diluted down into a strafe jump simulator with no depth or strategy when it comes to picking weapons or fighting enemies... Not to mention the level design basically being massively downgraded when compared to how they handled level design in the original PS2 games, where instead of massive sprawling unique landscapes where you're expected to explore every nook and cranny, they're basically giant glorified COD shooting galleries.

Last edited:
I mean i also talked about how the gameplay in the games has basically diluted down into a strafe jump simulator with no depth or strategy when it comes to picking weapons or fighting enemies... Not to mention the level design basically being massively downgraded when compared to how they handled level design in the original PS2 games, where instead of massive sprawling unique landscapes where you're expected to explore every nook and cranny, they're basically giant glorified COD shooting galleries.

Diluted how? Hasn't the gameplay always been that way since the introduction of the strafe with R&C2? I'm currently replaying the original trilogy via the HD collection on Vita at the minute and I don't really see what was so different about it then aside from the original not having strafe, strafe jumping has been an effective tactic since 2. To be honest its the same with level design. Sure they can be sprawling landscapes, but the actual playable areas are quite linear and generally lead you from skirmish to skirmish, lacking the puzzles added to the mix with PS3 trilogy. Occasionally another path, but these too can be linear as they generally lead to a secondary objective or maybe a hidden golden bolt.

I just don't see it myself. The series being so similar over the years is the main thing used against it, but its just a fun little action platformer to me.

Or, What if - bear with me here - Sony actually brought BC to the PS5 instead endless remastering?
Man, if they were able to get PS3 games running on a PS5 w/ boosted framerate....it would be God tier. I still love the PS3 but lots of games that can't handle stable 30fps are rough to go back to. The Skate series comes to mind. My eyes have adjusted to stable 30/60 and Skate just feels rough as hell.

Man, if they were able to get PS3 games running on a PS5 w/ boosted framerate....it would be God tier. I still love the PS3 but lots of games that can't handle stable 30fps are rough to go back to. The Skate series comes to mind. My eyes have adjusted to stable 30/60 and Skate just feels rough as hell.

It's a shame as well as the PS3 has a HD collection of the original trilogy so you can pretty much get all the best Ratchet & Clank on one system. Rare find these days tho

It's a shame as well as the PS3 has a HD collection of the original trilogy so you can pretty much get all the best Ratchet & Clank on one system. Rare find these days tho
I found that HD collection at a goodwill for like $5 a few years ago. First time I was able to play through those PS2 games, finished them all.

I found that HD collection at a goodwill for like $5 a few years ago. First time I was able to play through those PS2 games, finished them all.

Not bad for that price, was interested for the 3D back then myself. These days its around £40 here so I've ended up playing through on Vita. I think they run at 30fps instead of 60 but are decent otherwise given the portability

Last edited:

Nico_D

I agree. It didn't have that R&C feeling in it. Probably because the protagonist, you know the one whose name is on the box, was a damn side character!

wvnative

Edgy as fuck is a really strong term, but they definitely had slight edge to them.

But yeah, i miss the style of humor, and the substance. Rift Apart and the OG ratchet games apparently have similar play time length, but the OG games feel much longer to me.

I hated the 2016 reboot, but thought Rift Apart was better, but it was still too safe, and I don't just mean the humor. Felt like they didn't utilize the dimension aspect nearly enough.

We can't be edgy these days, mate. That's a big no-no. Someone on Twitter might get offended by it. That's the target audience now.
That's why you have to do it in a smart way.
3748005-the-boys.jpg

The best creative minds will always find a way to bring great content within boundaries.

Top Bottom