• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rate this PC build for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

shoreu

Man i've never spent so much money at once so i'm nervous as hell right now. Can you guys tell me what you all think of this build.

Here's the link to the build

3rd build

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($233.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($34.50 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus Z170-E ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($104.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($69.88 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Kingston FURY 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($47.99 @ Micro Center)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card ($304.99 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT S340 (Black/Red) ATX Mid Tower Case ($67.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: Corsair RMx 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Monitor: BenQ XL2411Z 144Hz 24.0" Monitor ($269.00 @ Amazon)
Mouse: Logitech G502 Wired Optical Mouse ($49.99 @ Best Buy)
Total: $1303.29
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-04-22 14:22 EDT-0400

xkramz

Man i've never spent so much money at once so i'm nervous as hell right now. Can you guys tell me what you all think of this build.

Here's the link to the build

well first. what will you be using your pc for?

also thats pricey for that CPU the unlocked version ( K in the end of the numbers) goes on sale and be around 320 bucks mark and you could overclock it for better results.

also if its strictly just for gaming, then the i5-6600K will be sufficient and OC capable.

You might as well go with the 6700k for a little bit more money. The overclocking would justify that particular heatsink too.

The motherboard seems a bit on the expensive side, but maybe you need the features?

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Just Gaming and Coding really maybe some Graphic design

Could have saved some cash going with an i5. Also strange to get a cpu cooler if you can't overclock your cpu unless you live in a warm climate with no climate control in your house.

I'd recommend going into the PC Build thread before plunking down any money on a new build. They have a some great template builds in the OP.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
OP, if you can wait it out and return some things you can either save some cash or upgrade some components. If you can't, this build will do what you want it to.

I would spring for a water cooler if you can afford it.

EDIT: Didn't realize that wasn't a K processor... you should definitely go for that if you can.

Pretty much this, combined with chucking all this pricey stuff into a $39 case.

If the case is functional, who cares what it looks like.

Does it have room for everything in the build + cooling ability is all that matters. If you care about how it looks, that is a different story.

If you can take out all the crap in the front, that is a perfectly fine case.

shoreu

Pretty much this, combined with chucking all this pricey stuff into a $39 case.

lol man the other ones are hella expensive

Could have saved some cash going with an i5. Also strange to get a cpu cooler if you can't overclock your cpu unless you live in a warm climate with no climate control in your house.

I'd recommend going into the PC Build thread before plunking down any money on a new build. They have a some great template builds in the OP.

also Benifits of an i7 aren't that much over an i5?

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
lol man the other ones are hella expensive

Cases have advantages with the more expensive models. Get a 200R. They're not bad for a cheap case. Noise level is pretty low.

If you haven't put money down yet, definitely swap some parts out. No need for an i7 if you're just doing gaming and such.

Odrion

Banned
Pascal is coming in less than two months, so you may want to wait from buying a videocard until then.

If this PC is for 1080p/60fps gaming, you definitely don't need to buy a i7, save the money and buy a i5.

You don't need a $200 motherboard.

The rest seems good.

shoreu

Cases have advantages with the more expensive models. Get a 200R. They're not bad for a cheap case. Noise level is pretty low.

If you haven't put money down yet, definitely swap some parts out. No need for an i7 if you're just doing gaming and such.

and i just swapped out the core might use the money for a 980ti idk yet

yeah, I bought mine mid 2014 and then waited a couple of months for new cards to release. I would do the same today, really, unless you buy a 980ti or AMD equivalent.

i can get a 980ti for 550 but damn man

MisterNoisy

dpunk3

Get a different motherboard, the Hero line is very meh (source: had the Hero VI, have the Hero VII). It's not worth the extra money.

Downgrade the CPU to the i5, use the money saved from the mobo and CPU to get a better GPU (980Ti?).

Just my 2 pesos.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
and i just swapped out the core might use the money for a 980ti idk yet

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.44 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($87.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($76.50 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($48.77 @ OutletPC)
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($44.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($69.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($18.89 @ OutletPC)
Monitor: Asus VX238H 23.0" Monitor ($110.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $1071.51
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-04-21 23:35 EDT-0400

I'm not sure about the cooler or the ram but this would be a better start for a gaming rig. I did not put much time or thought in to it so I would recommend getting advice fromt he other thread. The folks in the PC Build thread will be able to help you more if you fill out the survey in the OP and paste your build in the thread.

shoreu

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.44 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($87.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($76.50 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($48.77 @ OutletPC)
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($44.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($69.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($18.89 @ OutletPC)
Monitor: Asus VX238H 23.0" Monitor ($110.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $1071.51
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-04-21 23:35 EDT-0400

I'm not sure about the cooler or the ram but this would be a better start for a gaming rig. I did not put much time or thought in to it so I would recommend getting advice fromt he other thread. The folks in the PC Build thread will be able to help you more if you fill out the survey in the OP and paste your build in the thread.

Man thank you so much i'm gonna grab the 980ti at its discount right because it's a sweet ass deal

you know what? hell that may even be worse if the 1080 is cheaper, since it should be more powerful. 970 may be fine if you are upgrading at all, than buying something more expensive that would also be replaced. The thing is, the 970 is not maxing games in the near future and a 980ti you wont need to replace until the "2080" card.

dity

Will that CPU cooler fit in that case?

Go less on the mobo, more on the case. Get a case that goes for convenience (less screws, more clicky tabs and screwy knobs).

Rizific

Most cases are rediculously overpriced for what they are. Although I got mine Corsair C70 for $70 so I felt that was worth the extra.

id venture to say SOME cases are definitely overpriced, but not all. most reputable case manufacturers have features that justify their asking price. ive built in a $40 raidmax case for a buddy of mine. would definitely never want that for myself. the case was super light, thin metal everywhere, no attempt at noise/vibration reduction, no dust filter, janky buzzing fans. yeah it only cost $40, and maybe your fine with that. but i would rather drop a little more coin on a little more niceties.

Pretty good build. I have a very similar one, main difference is an i5-6600k, a better case and a slightly different motherboard.

If you want to lower overall noise, get a better PSU. I had the same one you had and it was too noisy. Returned it and bought a Corsair RMi PSU. the fans on these PSUs don't spin unless you're under a decent load.

Also I have the Fractal Design Define R5. Totally worth it. Highly recommended.

wildfire

Banned
CPU cooler - Get a Cryorig H7 instead . It runs cooler and quieter than the 212. It's the new standard bearer for heatsinks under $50.

Chassis - Amazon has a great deal on the HAF 912. It provides better cooling with 2 fans included instead of one and the aesthetics are similar but imo obviously better than the one you choose.

Display - You're playing at 1080p. I seriously recommend investing another $100 into this Benq display. Your gpu is capable of pushing certain games at very high framerates and this is cheapest display with a strobed backlight.

You can read this faq to learn about the significance.

http://www.blurbusters.com/faq/scanningbacklight/

shoreu

Pretty good build. I have a very similar one, main difference is an i5-6600k, a better case and a slightly different motherboard.

If you want to lower overall noise, get a better PSU. I had the same one you had and it was too noisy. Returned it and bought a Corsair RMi PSU. the fans on these PSUs don't spin unless you're under a decent load.

Also I have the Fractal Design Define R5. Totally worth it. Highly recommended.

How about this one?

Don't know much about that case to be honest. I really care about low noise so I went with the Define R5. The one you picked looks fine though.

CPU is solid, and you can do a mild overclock. I personally use the Hyper 212 Evo. There are quieter air coolers but I can't hear anything with my current case and distance between me and my PC

shoreu

CPU cooler - Get a Cryorig H7 instead . It runs cooler and quieter than the 212. It's the new standard bearer for heatsinks under $50.

Chassis - Amazon has a great deal on the HAF 912. It provides better cooling with 2 fans included instead of one and the aesthetics are similar but imo obviously better than the one you choose.

Display - You're playing at 1080p. I seriously recommend investing another $100 into this Benq display. Your gpu is capable of pushing certain games at very high framerates and this is cheapest display with a strobed backlight.

You can read this faq to learn about the significance.

http://www.blurbusters.com/faq/scanningbacklight/

i modified the build to this http://pcpartpicker.com/p/fpPz8d

jabuseika

Spend more on a good case.
Less on a motherboard.
Get an unlocked CPU.
Do you really need an optical drive?
Get a 24" monitor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom