• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rate this PC build for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($233.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.44 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($87.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($76.50 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($48.77 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card ($304.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($44.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($69.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($18.89 @ OutletPC)
Monitor: Asus VX238H 23.0" Monitor ($110.98 @ Newegg)
Mouse: Logitech G502 Wired Optical Mouse ($49.99 @ Best Buy)
Total: $1071.51
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-04-21 23:35 EDT-0400

I'm not sure about the cooler or the ram but this would be a better start for a gaming rig. I did not put much time or thought in to it so I would recommend getting advice fromt he other thread. The folks in the PC Build thread will be able to help you more if you fill out the survey in the OP and paste your build in the thread.

Yeah, that looks a lot better than the build in the OP.

Man thank you so much i'm gonna grab the 980ti at its discount right because it's a sweet ass deal

You don't need a 980ti for 1080p regardless of the price. Get the 970 (or hell, even a 960 would be fine for now) and use the money you saved to upgrade to the 1070, or whatever it ends up being called.

Also, consider getting a nicer case. If you're spending over a grad on a computer it seems weird to put it all in a cheap case when you're shooting for mid - to high-end components in every other area. Fractal cases are nice and look great, and if you're stepping down to more reasonable motherboard and CPU you've already saved more than enough money to switch to one.

Code:
[img]http://i.imgur.com/yS987D6.jpg[/img]
Plenty of other options out there, but I'd spend a little more and get something that will run cooler and quieter.

shoreu

Spend more on a good case.
Less on a motherboard.
Get an unlocked CPU.
Do you really need an optical drive?
Get a 24" monitor.

Yeah, that looks a lot better than the build in the OP.

You don't need a 980ti for 1080p regardless of the price. Get the 970 (or hell, even a 960 would be fine for now) and use the money you saved to upgrade to the 1070, or whatever it ends up being called.

Here's where i'm at now http://pcpartpicker.com/p/fpPz8d

You could spend a little more and get a 1440p monitor. You'd lose the 144hz so you'd have to decide if you want higher res or faster response, but if you're considering getting a $600 GPU the extra resolution would be nice.

Current build looks really good though. Is it your first gaming PC?

shoreu

You could spend a little more and get a 1440p monitor. You'd lose the 144hz so you'd have to decide if you want higher res or faster response, but if you're considering getting a $600 GPU the extra resolution would be nice.

Current build looks really good though. Is it your first gaming PC?

very first ever

shoreu

hopefully final build lol thank you all so much

CPU Cooler: CRYORIG H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($34.50 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus Z170-E ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($104.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($69.88 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Kingston FURY 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($47.99 @ Micro Center)
Case: NZXT S340 (Black/Red) ATX Mid Tower Case ($67.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: Corsair RMx 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Monitor: BenQ XL2411Z 144Hz 24.0" Monitor ($269.00 @ Amazon)
Total: $1303.29
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-04-22 14:22 EDT-0400

Definitely a step in the right direction. If you plan on overclocking (and you should, it's crazy easy these days) I still say you could benefit from a liquid cooler. But maybe that would be a later down the road upgrade if you find you can't get your CPU to where you'd like it.

Also, don't let anyone convince you a 970 is a waste. Yes, there will probably be new GPUs soon. But I have a 970 and can play nearly everything that comes out today at max settings. You'll be fine for a good while. If worse comes to worse, you can always get a second one later and SLI it.

shoreu

Cool, the difference from console games is going to blow you away. Especially if you go back and play PS3/ 360 games with the settings maxed out.

i'm ready lol

Definitely a step in the right direction. If you plan on overclocking (and you should, it's crazy easy these days) I still say you could benefit from a liquid cooler. But maybe that would be a later down the road upgrade if you find you can't get your CPU to where you'd like it.

I'm definetly thinking about it but as i'm new as hell to all of this it's definitely down the line for now.

also i made a 3rd build here http://pcpartpicker.com/p/hzzkGX

hopefully final build lol thank you all so much

CPU Cooler: CRYORIG H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($34.50 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus Z170-E ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($104.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($69.88 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Kingston FURY 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($47.99 @ Micro Center)
Case: NZXT S340 (Black/Red) ATX Mid Tower Case ($67.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: Corsair RMx 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Monitor: BenQ XL2411Z 144Hz 24.0" Monitor ($269.00 @ Amazon)
Total: $1303.29
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-04-22 14:22 EDT-0400

Yes, "downgrading" to an i5 is a great idea. Good call there. But idk, to me, buying a 144hz monitor when you have a 970 for a GPU doesn't make much sense. A 970 isn't going to reach anywhere near that FPS unless you're playing 5+ year old games. I personally think it makes more sense to save money on the monitor and go for a 980 Ti. That's just my opinion but I feel like the 970 is about a month away from becoming a midrange last-gen card. I wouldn't feel great about plopping it into a new $1300 build.

I'm really sorry if this instills doubt in you! Obviously the 970 is a very capable card and will remain so for a couple years, but I just had to share my opinion.

shoreu

Yes, "downgrading" to an i5 is a great idea. Good call there. But idk, to me, buying a 144hz monitor when you have a 970 for a GPU doesn't make much sense. A 970 isn't going to reach anywhere near that FPS unless you're playing 5+ year old games. I personally think it makes more sense to save money on the monitor and go for a 980 Ti. That's just my opinion but I feel like the 970 is about a month away from becoming a midrange last-gen card. I wouldn't feel great about plopping it into a new $1300 build.

I'm really sorry if this instills doubt in you! Obviously the 970 is a very capable card and will remain so for a couple years, but I just had to share my opinion.

Lol no thank you so much! i appreciate the feedback man. i think i'm using the 970 as a placeholder for now and will upgrade probably 2 years or so from now so it's no biggie for me.

Just to have a counterpoint, I think this is bad advice. You're probably going to be upgrading your GPU a lot more often than your monitor. If you get a nicer monitor now, whether it has a higher resolution or refresh rate or whatever, but a less powerful GPU, it doesn't hurt you at all. You may not be using the monitor to it's fullest potential now, but it will be nice for older games and it's not like it's disadvantaging you in any way for now. In a year or two you can buy a new card that will be much more powerful and you'll be able to better appreciate the monitor.

On the other hand if you buy a 1080p 60hz monitor now you'll be stuck with those low specs. Going forward if you upgrade your GPU you'll also have to buy a new monitor to make the purchase worthwhile.

Also the monitor you've picked isn't that expensive. You'll save less than $100 switching from that monitor to a 60hz one, but the 980ti is a few hundred dollars more expensive than the 970, so it's not like it's an either/ or decision.

The 980ti is a bad buy right now for the same reason digitalrelic says the 970 is a bad buy, new cards are right around the corner. IMO that makes the 970 more desirable, don't blow $500+ on a card that's about to be replaced. Going mid-range makes more sense.

Personally I think it's smart to spend most of your budget on components you'll likely keep for a long time. A good case will last for multiple builds, most people don't replace a mouse and keyboard very often, you probably don't want to be buying a new monitor every year. On the other hand if you want to stay up to date you'll probably replace your GPU every other year or whatever.

There's never a perfect time to build a PC but IMO right now the smart thing to do would be to get a cheap mid-range GPU like a 960 and see how the next generation of cards shakes out.

Just to have a counterpoint, I think this is bad advice. You're probably going to be upgrading your GPU a lot more often than your monitor. If you get a nicer monitor now, whether it has a higher resolution or refresh rate or whatever, but a less powerful GPU, it doesn't hurt you at all. You may not be using the monitor to it's fullest potential now, but it will be nice for older games and it's not like it's disadvantaging you in any way for now. In a year or two you can buy a new card that will be much more powerful and you'll be able to better appreciate the monitor.

On the other hand if you buy a 1080p 60hz monitor now you'll be stuck with those low specs. Going forward if you upgrade your GPU you'll also have to buy a new monitor to make the purchase worthwhile.

Also the monitor you've picked isn't that expensive. You'll save less than $100 switching from that monitor to a 60hz one, but the 980ti is a few hundred dollars more expensive than the 970, so it's not like it's an either/ or decision.

The 980ti is a bad buy right now for the same reason digitalrelic says the 970 is a bad buy, new cards are right around the corner. IMO that makes the 970 more desirable, don't blow $500+ on a card that's about to be replaced. Going mid-range makes more sense.

Personally I think it's smart to spend most of your budget on components you'll likely keep for a long time. A good case will last for multiple builds, most people don't replace a mouse and keyboard very often, you probably don't want to be buying a new monitor every year. On the other hand if you want to stay up to date you'll probably replace your GPU every other year or whatever.

There's never a perfect time to build a PC but IMO right now the smart thing to do would be to get a cheap mid-range GPU like a 960 and see how the next generation of cards shakes out.

You know what? Those are all fair points. You're right about a monitor lasting longer than a graphics card. I'm just a performance whore so I always want the best performance in the moment,but I actually think you're right. The 970 is a good call if you plan on upgrading in the next few years.

You know what? Those are all fair points. You're right about a monitor lasting longer than a graphics card. I'm just a performance whore so I always want the best performance in the moment,but I actually think you're right. The 970 is a good call if you plan on upgrading in the next few years.

Thanks! Didn't mean to call you out there. Like I said, I think for most people it makes more sense to cheap out on components like the GPU and maybe even CPU and spend more on stuff that will get replaced less often.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom