• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rayman Legends Challenges App |OT| Wii U owners can like it or LUMp it

zroid

Banned
ibg4BZgSnlQrf1.png

jIDDgNTVezsgK.png

Platforms:
  • Wii U (eShop)
Price:
  • Free!
Release Date:
  • EU/Aus: 2013/4/25
  • Americas: 2013/4/25
  • Japan: ?
Download size:
  • ~800 MB

-----

jbj2TL3ANSUi9c.png

The Rayman Legends Challenges App is a free "demo" of sorts for Rayman Legends, which will be updated daily/weekly, presumably until the game's official release date later this year. While the stages available to be played will not change, the challenges players must perform in them will vary. Global, national, and friend online leaderboards are supported.

Challenges consist of, for example, tasks such as collecting as many lums as possible, getting as far as possible in an endless running stage, or collecting a certain number of lums as fast as possible. As you perform better in these challenges, you earn "trophies" in each one -- bronze, silver, gold and eventually diamond. You must be ranked among the top to earn those coveted gold and diamond trophies!

At this point, both daily and weekly challenges are available.

-----

jps4a5f7Zs6SD.png

★ Murfy's Dungeon
jzc2f3du4zo0H.png

★ The Neverending Pit
j4TTdq9aEC2BN.png

★ The Infinite Tower
jdwWDUQjnyGmS.png

★ Land of the Livid Dead
jRTTA6cw8zYY0.png

★ The Dojo

jbtzjif8BifJ8e.png

+ the three levels from the 2012 eShop demo (Teensies in Trouble, Toad Story, and Castle Rock). These will not receive challenges, but your performance in them will contribute to your overall ranking.

-----

j5TCzAS0NZqyL.png

There are a total of four challenges available at any given time:

1. Daily challenge: updates daily at around 4 am EDT
  2. Daily Extreme challenge: requires awesomeness level of 2 and updates daily at around 4 am EDT
  3. Weekly challenge: updates Mondays at around 4 am EDT
  4. Weekly Extreme challenge: requires awesomeness level of 4 and updates Mondays at around 4 am EDT

-----

j1w1Dgga4srDK.png

LAUNCH TRAILER:

GameXplain video guide:

You can play the three levels from the original demo too
jdGKuslNM8f68.jpg

0 awesomeness. That's definitely me!
jbkbJVypzgdfxK.jpg

Murfy's Dungeon hosts many perils
ikhKvIGdQzAkn.jpg

Land of the Livid Dead can be an oppressive experience
jFAnWLltFXPFY.jpg

-----

jWzcbRqnMupr3.png

Where and when does Rayman Legends actually come out?
  • Rayman Legends will be released for PS3, 360 and Wii U on: September 3 in North America, and August 30 in Europe
Link to the Miiverse Community?
Is there a play limit?
  • No
Is there Off TV play?
  • Yes
I still don't get it
Tips, hints, general advice:
  • GimMick has put together a great post right here. Check it out!
    General info/tip/trick compendium

How to get Awesomeness ?

- Winning trophies in the demo levels or challenges give you points
    • Diamond = 50 pts
    • Gold = 10 pts
    • Silver = 5 pts
    • Bronze = 1 pt
    - Past a defined amount of points, you will gain a level in Awesomeness. For example, you'll reach Level 1 with 60 pts, and reach Level 2 with 120 pts
    - To access the daily extreme challenge, you have to be at least Level 2 ; to access the weekly extreme challenge, Level 4
    - Fully completing the 3 demo levels will yield you 96 pts, meaning that if you want to gain more levels and play the extreme challenges, you have to partake to the "normal" challenges and win trophies there

How are determined the trophy ranks ?

- Your trophy rank will be determined according to your rank on the leaderboards, and the total number of ranked players.
    - It means that if enough people pass you, you may be retrograded to the lower trophy rank.
    - It is not clearly determined how well ranked you have to be to pretend to a certain trophy, but let's say if you are in the top 1% of the best players in the world for a challenge, you will likely get a Diamond trophy

Standard gameplay tips

- To boost your speed, attack while running, then press jump during the attack. You will go even faster if you boost downhill, but avoid the upslopes as much as possible
    - If you find a spring oriented diagonally, you can get an even better max speed by ground-pounding on it (Down + Y/X)
    - To conserve your current speed, jump (or boost+jump) on the same frame you are touching the ground. You can repeat this indefinitely !
    - If you have to clear large gaps and a normal jump doesn't cut it, attacking mid air to gain distance is faster than fluttering. Attacking mid-air will still kill your a bit of your momentum though, so only use it when necessary
    - On a line of lums, grabbing a pink lum, will change the color of the nearby lum to pink, and so on. By grabbing the lum lines in a certain way, you can double your score
    - All the characters have the same characteristics

Murphy gameplay tips

- Touching a lum will change its color to pink, and double its value !
    - Touching enemies, spiders, and hanging skeletons also give extra lums
    - The behaviour of the auto-runner changes slightly depending on how you handles obstacles. It is possible to make it stop by holding a platform or obstacle with Murphy
    - The Murphy challenges are playable in co-op, with one player being the runner while the other is playing Murphy. Playing this way gives an advantage in the challenges over the lone players

Dartastic

AH GOD I'M SO HAPPY THIS IS UP DOWNLOADING NOW FUCK YEAH I'M GOING TO DESTROY YOU ALL.

Nintendo Network ID: Dartastic

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Going by this post:

Downloaded it and played it for a bit (Dutch eShop).

It includes the first demo, except with this one it saves your score and at least the first level has been changed a bit. Also played a bit of Murphy's Dungeon, and the Murphy gameplay in the challenge mode is actually a lot more fun than in the tutorial level, mostly cause it's actually challenging.

Oh, and it supports off-TV play on the Gamepad.

It includes the first demo, and supports off-TV play (unlike said demo).

I put a bit of time into the EU version earlier so I can give a brief run down.
You start of with the levels from the old demo, the hub area is similar to before but now includes a challenge section.
The current challenges are touchscreen related ones as Murfy, performing well in challenges nets you trophies which earn you points that seem to unlock tougher challenges as your rank increases though i've yet to unlock one of these myself.
Lums unlock character skins, there seems to be quite a few judging by the amount of portraits in the character room, think of it like the tree area in Origins.
As for the challenges themselves, ghosts of other players and a pretty robust ranking system are in place, it's pretty nice for something that's free.
The current Murfy's Dungeon challenge is a lot faster paced than the standard Murfy stage demo, i'd prefer to have kicked off with something more traditional but it was enjoyable enough.
Overall this challenge app comes across like some sort of super demo, I kind of want to limit my use of it as I wouldn't want to play too much Rayman before the actual game releases, lord knows i've played my fair share of the standard demo stages already.

zroid

Banned
Hmmm, so the three demo stages are included in this? Is that separate from the challenges? Well it just finished installing, guess I'll find out for myself.

Hmmm, so the three demo stages are included in this? Is that separate from the challenges? Well it just finished installing, guess I'll find out for myself.

They're separate from the challenges but they each have trophies to earn that go along with the ones earned from challenges.

jet1911

Just tried the Murphy challenge. I'm first in my country(Canada)! If the leaderboard is to be believed I'm also the only one who played in Canada lol.

zlcfzq90_bwdso1vtiuxcrv.jpg

Burnburn

This is really addicting!

I've only done the daily challege right now.
My record is 1444M, after that comes a part I just don't understand how to do.

Hiltz

Can you use the pro controller with this?

You can for local multiplayer mode. By the way, as far as Murphy levels go, the developer recently said it only consists of less than 20% of the game. Of course, in the multiplayer mode, one person can control Murphy the whole time with the GamePad.

thefro

This could actually turn out being pretty well for Ubisoft if they put in an option to preorder/buy the full game digitally at some point in this app (if it's not there already).

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
How many stages is there? What do the challenges consist of? Complete a level in the fastest time possible?

This game is so gorgeous on my TV. On the Gamepad? Not as much..

Still, it's a pretty damn cool app. Looking forward to seeing the other challenges.

Mutt

Neo Member
Phew, played the first daily challenges for about 30 mins until I reach 1k+ meters, really hard.
Will try other level tonight.

600 or 800 MB.

Thx. I have the basic set and have just over 2 GB left. Hope with this app and the Spring Update that I have enough space left!

GimMick

Downloading right now. Judging from the impressions, this looks very well made for something that is completely free !

zroid

Banned
How many stages is there? What do the challenges consist of? Complete a level in the fastest time possible?

From what I gather, this week's challenge is from the stage Murfy's Dungeon and demands you collect 150 levels as quickly as possible.

I've got it downloaded and installed. I will play it later tonight.

Feel free to add me. I love competing with friends on leader boards.

NNID: LaserLemming

EDIT: I just noticed the new release date is August 30th. When did that change?

can beat the daily challege I only made it after cutting the ropes and the air jet then I had two platforms to lower could not get it and I had been at this over 10 tries

I want to cry T_T

This downloaded and installed fairly quickly.

At first, i thought they just gave us the demo lvls to collect things in with a certain time limit. Then i noticed the challange area.

The UI on the gamepad for the challange area is done well and loads records of other players fast and smoothly.

The current murphy challange is better than what i was expecting. Its fun and addicting. The level design is well thought out and gets very challanging.

This murphy challenge level could easily be a great ios game.

btw, made it up to about 1300. Still no gold trophy!

jlscool

I still have yet to beat the Weekly Challenge even once. ;_;

App seems to be just like the full game without the story mode.

kizmah

Wow! This is way better than I thought it would be. Challenging and extremely addicitive. Add me if you want some more friends to challenge. NINID: kizmah

I love these guys! This is how you show love and loyalty to your fanbase. My wife literally shouted "What?" with a big smile on her face when they critters shouted "For Free!." She loved Rayman Origins on the Vita and loved the demo of Rayman Legends when we went to the Wii U Experience last year. We both have been waiting for this game and Pikmin 3 since we bought the Wii U at launch and so glad that part of one of the games has finally released. I hope everyone who has an inkling of an interest in Rayman will buy this game.

Top Bottom