• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rayman Legends Challenges App |OT| Wii U owners can like it or LUMp it

DrLazy

Just got into this today with the wife.

HOLY SHIT I LOVE THIS THING.

I played this App today longer than I played some $60 I paid for. Its soooooo good.

Wife and I practiced all night and are in line for platinum trophies for the daily and weekly challenges. The hardcore ones are locked.

Then we tackled the three demo levels. The Rock and Roll one is probably the best platformer level I've ever played. I love the shit out of it. I just had a smile plastered on my face the whole time.

How can Ubisoft not sell this during the Wii U software drought! Crazy. Its built so custom for Wii U, delaying it to port it seems very pointless.

zroid

Banned
Dojo, huh. I should check this out.

Thanks for extracting the banner!

edit: gave it a try. Pretty fun concept.

Looks like yesterday's challenged was glitched again. There was no way in hell someone could progress though that stage in 6 seconds.

Retro Duck

Neo Member
Since this thread is about the Rayman Legends app, I figured this deserved a mention. Ubisoft have released a new trailer showing off a new world. I won't mention what world, just in case people rather not hear.

New World Reveal Trailer

If someone wants to create a new thread for it, that might be an idea :)

goomba

Banned
How can Ubisoft not sell this during the Wii U software drought! Crazy. Its built so custom for Wii U, delaying it to port it seems very pointless.

It does seem retarded, perhaps Microsoft or Sony gave Ubi some incentives to delay it,I heard there some restrictions around release times never being allowed to be later on 360 games? or is that just a rumour?

Kingven

another gold for today challengues.. ill never get a diamond.. :-(

Btw, im adding all your NNID..

Feel free to add me..

ID: king007

I just started messing around with this last weekend, it's really addicting.

Dare I say, it's something of a "killer app" for me, even if it's a glorified demo. The constant drive to get one level higher on the leaderboard is giving me memories of when I just bought my 360 and was playing Geometry Wars until I couldn't sleep right.

This. This right here is what New Super Mario Bros. needs in its next game.

totowhoa

Banned
I just started messing around with this last weekend, it's really addicting.

Dare I say, it's something of a "killer app" for me, even if it's a glorified demo. The constant drive to get one level higher on the leaderboard is giving me memories of when I just bought my 360 and was playing Geometry Wars until I couldn't sleep right.

This. This right here is what New Super Mario Bros. needs in its next game.

Yeah. It's really fun, but the "constant drive" sort of died for me once I hit Awesomeness level 4. Probably due in part to how often levels and challenge types were repeated in the amount of time it took me to reach that level.

zroid

Banned
I'll probably go back to the daily Challenge grind some time next month. Got a little burned out, haha. Super fun though. Last time I checked the Activity Log, I was at 12 hours or so.

Out of curiosity, are all the challenges available for first timers, or do each disappear the next day?
They are one day (or one week) only but you aren't really missing anything, in the grand scheme of things.

There are only a few level types and a few challenge types, so you'll essentially "see everything" after a week or so of playing, even though the specific level builds differ every day.

Starting to look like a number of people are dropping out of the daily grind. My rank has jumped from the top 3000 to just outside the top 1000 over the last week. I'm not even close to getting Diamonds, so I don't know how that could have happened otherwise.

I've been playing this for a little bit. Already at Awesomeness level 2 since I scored a pretty easy diamond during the last weekly challenge.

Having lots of fun with this. I really like how the developers are putting so much effort into this app.

Anyways, my NNID is Poltergust, so add me if you'd like!

(How does the NNID system work, by the way? Do both people have to add each other, or are there friend requests and such?)

Gattuso

I've been playing this for a little bit. Already at Awesomeness level 2 since I scored a pretty easy diamond during the last weekly challenge.

Having lots of fun with this. I really like how the developers are putting so much effort into this app.

Anyways, my NNID is Poltergust, so add me if you'd like!

(How does the NNID system work, by the way? Do both people have to add each other, or are their friend requests and such?)

I believe it works both ways. you can send a friend request via miiverse or just add them to the friends list but they also need to add you as well.

zashga

Finally played this the other day; it's a pretty nice little demo. Also, Barbara is adorable. Much better character selection than Origins!

zroid

Banned
(How does the NNID system work, by the way? Do both people have to add each other, or are their friend requests and such?)

I believe it works both ways. you can send a friend request via miiverse or just add them to the friends list but they also need to add you as well.

Yeah, this. If you want to send a proper request, remember to add them through Miiverse, NOT the Friend List.

bon

Woo, I'm on my way to my first Diamond Cup in the weekly challenge.

How many levels of Awesomeness are there? I just hit level 6 today.

Bit late to the party with this but really impressed, was intending to play Lego, but most of today been trying to improve my time on the Daily Challenge and Weekly Challenge.

Nice that they added extra challenge levels for dedicated players too ect. Currently looking at a gold for today but might try and go for diamond later

Hmmm. Seeing something interesting on the regular weekly challenge at the moment. Got fortunate enough to catch not 1 but 2 Top 10 Ghosts in the same run, and...they're doing something weird. Some kind of roll technique that I've never seen before. They only seem to be able to do it off a downhill slope, but it's incredibly fast, much faster than dashing or dash jumping over the same distance. I've tried to replicate it myself, but no dice. The two people were using different characters, so it doesn't seem like I'm just being fooled by a character specific dash animation either. The field of ghosts was all bunched up until this specific spot, then they suddenly leap ahead while the rest of us are dashing downhill.

Zomba13

Hmmm. Seeing something interesting on the regular weekly challenge at the moment. Got fortunate enough to catch not 1 but 2 Top 10 Ghosts in the same run, and...they're doing something weird. Some kind of roll technique that I've never seen before. They only seem to be able to do it off a downhill slope, but it's incredibly fast, much faster than dashing or dash jumping over the same distance. I've tried to replicate it myself, but no dice. The two people were using different characters, so it doesn't seem like I'm just being fooled by a character specific dash animation either. The field of ghosts was all bunched up until this specific spot, then they suddenly leap ahead while the rest of us are dashing downhill.

Using the slide (Hold Down when going down a slope)?

Nope, it's not a slide. Just (partially) replicate it with the help of someone on Miiverse. To execute the roll, hold down (or maybe down-forward) and press Y as you land on a slope after a jump. I'm having a bit of trouble with the timing, but when it comes off right it's significantly quicker than either sliding or dashing on a slope, and it goes quite a distance further after the end of the slope from the momentum.

I noticed those two runners pulling off a few more acrobatic jumps as well. Some of them I recognize as adaptations of diving techniques from The Neverending Pit, I knew there was a hefty skill gap between me (straight gold trophies, mostly) and those pulling regular Diamonds, but I'd thought up to now it was simply in timing and reflexes.

....oh. Just managed to find a video on Youtube actually demonstrating the roll. I think this is the exact guy whose ghost I was seeing too. Damn, how the hell do you do those moves...

zroid

Banned
I recall some of our more accomplished players were mentioning that technique in this thread a few weeks ago.

*checks previous posts*

Nope, doesn't look like it. I see someone mentioned Axe Jumping fairly early, but they only said they'd seen it, not that they did it or knew how to do it. Otherwise it's basically just people talking about dashing / dash jumping (attack while running / + jump). GimMick (who I see in the Top 10 as "SpearMick" all the time) mentioned something about "jump (or boost+jump) on the same frame you are touching the ground", but I don't think that's the same technique we're seeing here.

GimMick

This time, I can say I have truly beaten the app !

zlCfzRBS0Fc3apoQqz

How convenient, only a few days before NSLU release !

zroid

Banned
Congrats, man! :p

I'm so tempted to download the NSLU DLC, but... I really really want that sweet green box. And I'm getting the retail version for the same price as the DLC anyway! Damn Reggie for making us wait 2 months!

dropbear

Banned
Hate to resurrect this but figured GAF would be a good place to look for advice.

I've climbed pretty high on the leaderboards but have hit something of a wall due to my inability to get Diamond. I haven't received a Silver or Bronze for weeks but can't seem to break that Diamond threshold, and I think this is mainly due to a lack of tools at my disposal.

Specifically, I feel that, as far as flat-out platforming goes, my runs are always fairly tight. However, when I look at the tippy-top of the leaderboards, I simply don't see how some of these individuals get so high (unless the challenge is "As far as you can," in which case I can always get close).

Are there tricks/tips you guys can provide to shave the seconds off that the best players manage? I get the spin-boost to speed up runs and jumps, but is there anything else?

I noticed in an interview that the Challenges App will continue to be supported until Legends is released, so I thought I'd make a push in the last months leading up to release.

Thanks in advance.

zoukka

This "demo" is pretty amazing. The game itself looks mindblowing, I can't believe they improved the visuals from origins. I doubt I have time to reach for platinums, but I did grab a gold already from one challenge. The Murphy challenges can be kinda tiresome imo, I'll settle for bronze in them. Sme of the obstacles are impossible to read and you just end up panic moving platforms and failing.

Burnburn

Hate to resurrect this but figured GAF would be a good place to look for advice.

I've climbed pretty high on the leaderboards but have hit something of a wall due to my inability to get Diamond. I haven't received a Silver or Bronze for weeks but can't seem to break that Diamond threshold, and I think this is mainly due to a lack of tools at my disposal.

Specifically, I feel that, as far as flat-out platforming goes, my runs are always fairly tight. However, when I look at the tippy-top of the leaderboards, I simply don't see how some of these individuals get so high (unless the challenge is "As far as you can," in which case I can always get close).

Are there tricks/tips you guys can provide to shave the seconds off that the best players manage? I get the spin-boost to speed up runs and jumps, but is there anything else?

I noticed in an interview that the Challenges App will continue to be supported until Legends is released, so I thought I'd make a push in the last months leading up to release.

Thanks in advance.

Well I haven't played in 2 months, so some of my explanations may be a bit faulthy.

The way towards getting good times is all about momentum and keeping that good momentum. I don't know if you've noticed, but if you attack and jump on a downward slope you get a really great boost. Now you have to keep that boost (momentum) and you do that by attacking at the right moment again. I think it was the frame before you hit the ground. So what you have to do is everytime when you're about to hit the ground you have to attack.

There is also a point at the end of the attack where you have to jump. I can't really tell you at what moment it is, you just have to experiment and get a feeling for it.

Oh and if you ground pound those "blue bouncy" things you'll also get a significant boost.

In the end it's all about chaining momentum, remember that

Fabrik

Banned
Why does this game feels so much better than Origins? It has Classic written all over it. Origins looks like a Beta version in comparison.

dropbear

Banned
Well I haven't played in 2 months, so some of my explanations may be a bit faulthy.

The way towards getting good times is all about momentum and keeping that good momentum. I don't know if you've noticed, but if you attack and jump on a downward slope you get a really great boost. Now you have to keep that boost (momentum) and you do that by attacking at the right moment again. I think it was the frame before you hit the ground. So what you have to do is everytime when you're about to hit the ground you have to attack.

There is also a point at the end of the attack where you have to jump. I can't really tell you at what moment it is, you just have to experiment and get a feeling for it.

Oh and if you ground pound those "blue bouncy" things you'll also get a significant boost.

In the end it's all about chaining momentum, remember that

Very much appreciated.

Top Bottom