• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Real-GAF: A GAF Community!

Status
Not open for further replies.
i12PC9CrxKVVF.jpg
ibkLUu7rXHurhF.jpg
ibrmxqTzEbYTID.jpg

Do not fuck with us. You will not wake up the next morning.

Any other thieves or ninjas I missed?

Come on bro, it's even in the name :C

Happy birthday RawPower!

*blasts Raw Power*

Lissar

Reluctant Member
I totally would but I missed the conversation about your uniquely spelled name so my search for Lissar comes up blank

I'll add you, as soon as I remember how to properly spell your name :(

I can't spell your name :(

Ah well :<

I was going to just post my name but thought this would be easier.

edit: Also, I know a ton of Tims. Including my dad and ex-boyfriend. I think there were like five I knew in my small class alone.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Thanks! Added to the RealThieves post.

I friend requested the people whom I could find!

edit: omg it's like we're real people all over again

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane

Last name is boring though :< I always wanted something more interesting...
I think it's a beautiful combination. I very much enjoy disyllabic first names with monosyllabic last names and the contrast of the uncommon, vowel-heavy first name with a well-known last name full of consonant clusters is great stuff. Stellar name if you were to ever become an author.

RawPower

Banned
I have an unusual last name because my ancestors shortened it to like 4 letters when they came here from Ireland. It used to have about 20 letters or so.

I'll add people later, if I remember. I have some work I need to do on here.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
la1n, I can't find you. you can't be found.
We are bringing it back (technically H.Pro started it)
I meant being facebook friends, not the resurgence of RealPics- I was here for that :p

And technically you and I started it. If no one had followed Hiro she'd have been all alone amongst the Paint.

Davedough

I have a common first name and a name that no one seems to be able to pronounce correctly for my last name.

Although, my first name is spelled differently in my KOA character... Daeyv =P

.la1n

la1n, I can't find you. you can't be found.

I meant being facebook friends, not the resurgence of RealPics- I was here for that :p

And technically you and I started it. If no one had followed Hiro she'd have been all alone amongst the Paint.

My name is too common that is why :|

I'll PM u the link

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
The world is closing in on us :eek: One of these days we gotta play 6 degrees of Kevin Bacon and see what we come up with.
I was JUST talking about what Facebook meant for this with my sister over lunch! So bizarre.

Here's the data available so far:

Facebook itself found the average degrees of separation mathematically just using statistics (this is a different question than I am looking for the answer to of course- I want the maximum) in November 2011, when they had 721 million users: 4.74 degrees. They also found that 99.91% of users were interconnected. That means from almost any given user’s page, there are only .09% of people on Facebook you cannot reach just by clicking friend links.

Data much closer to what I want was found in 2008-2009 when somebody wrote an application called “Six Degrees” for Facebook itself. This was voluntary, and it scanned friends lists to find degrees of separation. So the connections made here were only between users of the app (5.8 million users), but it actually did the work instead of doing it with math. Its average was 5.73 and maximum degrees of separation was 12. That means that the true max number (including all of Facebook) can be no more than 12 and probably quite a bit lower. The US number will be lower than that, too. The app was shut down due to privacy concerns, though.

Yahoo is doing a manual experiment by having people sign up as Targets and Searchers. They randomly assign a Target to a Searcher, then the Searcher gives the target to any one of their friends, then they give it to any one of their friends, so on and so forth until someone who is actually friends with the target is hit. I think it’s such a cool idea!

What I really want to know is the maximum number of degrees of separation between any two people who are connected on Facebook (again, .09% of users are isolated from the rest, so it wouldn't work starting from them). Hopefully this Yahoo experiment will have a decent outcome!

Lissar

Reluctant Member
I think it's a beautiful combination. I very much enjoy disyllabic first names with monosyllabic last names and the contrast of the uncommon, vowel-heavy first name with a well-known last name full of consonant clusters is great stuff. Stellar name if you were to ever become an author.

Hm, I never looked at it that way! I guess you just become used to your own name (like you become used to your own face) and it looks weird no matter what you do.

I have a common first name and a name that no one seems to be able to pronounce correctly for my last name.

Although, my first name is spelled differently in my KOA character... Daeyv =P

Copying the style of my name, Dave? :O

I've only seen your last name once in a book. Any comments on its pronunciation?

Davedough

Copying the style of my name, Dave? :O

I've only seen your last name once in a book. Any comments on its pronunciation?

I've had Daeyv since my WoW days. =P

Funny thing is, it's pronounced exactly as it looks... phonetically. If you break it into its syllables and pronounce it the way it's written, that's exactly how you pronounce my last name. Whore-Bath, but with a V instead of a B. And yes, anyone thinking that would not be the first person to use that oh so wonderful cut-down.

I've gotten MANY different mutilations of my last name. The most unique, I thought was Corvette. My mother's first name is Ann... she used to work at a bank and when someone came in asking to see the person who sent out some flyer, the name on the flyer had her first initial and our last name. The person came in asking for A. Ho. Anyone seen A. Ho around here? I need to talk to A. Ho.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
For serious.

The craziest thing to me is that, without any hard data yet, everything basically points to the maximum number of degrees you could be removed from anybody on Facebook (unless you're one of the .09%, those people) being 10, and probably fewer. If we then factor in connections other than Facebook to include "knowing people" by any definition, six degrees is probably right on the money.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
I've had Daeyv since my WoW days. =P

Funny thing is, it's pronounced exactly as it looks... phonetically. If you break it into its syllables and pronounce it the way it's written, that's exactly how you pronounce my last name. Whore-Bath, but with a V instead of a B. And yes, anyone thinking that would not be the first person to use that oh so wonderful cut-down.

I've gotten MANY different mutilations of my last name. The most unique, I thought was Corvette. My mother's first name is Ann... she used to work at a bank and when someone came in asking to see the person who sent out some flyer, the name on the flyer had her first initial and our last name. The person came in asking for A. Ho. Anyone seen A. Ho around here? I need to talk to A. Ho.

Oh, so it's exactly as I imagined it! Don't know why people would pronounce it wrong :x I thought it must have been something really funky.

.la1n

Only if you want to. I was reticent about it at first, because I am an extremely private person who likes to keep things separate. I just went along with it anyway because I don't see the harm in it.

Your safe RP. The regulars in here won't hurt ya. I wouldn't just open it to all of GAF by any means.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom