• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Realistically, what would have been an “acceptable” price for the PS5 Pro?

$700 is high, and clearly the majority of people think it’s too high.

But it had to cost more than the base model ps5, which is currently $450 if we use the digital edition, which seems like the most logical choice since the pro is also digital only (still can’t believe that, btw…)

So the price would have to be between $450-$700.

So what is it? $600? $550? $650?

What would have been the price that gamers wouldn’t have their current level of sticker shock?

ap_puff

$700 is acceptable to me
Season 5 Idk GIF by Paramount+

FrankWza

I would’ve paid more for better tbh. However, I’m quite annoyed they charged $40 for a stupid fucking stand. That, honestly… is the most obnoxious aspect of the transaction so far.
I get what you're saying but it's an optional stand if you need to go vertical. You can also buy one on Amazon for $15

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
$700 is fine if that what it translated to the UK price which is £522.77.
So £549 would have been a right price
£599 with the Disc Drive would have been acceptable too.
But £700/$935.97 in the UK is a fucking joke.
No matter how you cut it even with taxes on top, Sony is getting over $150 more from the Brits

Last edited:

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Same as it was for PS4 Pro. Drop the price of the regular systems, and price the PS5 Pro at $499..

I realize they can't do that though. The world has changed. We don't have Moore's law anymore for starters. We're gonna have to get used to it. Want power? It's gonna cost you..

Last edited:

Codes 208

You're kidding right?

MS have put out a 2tb series X with no other improvement for $600.

Sony has improved the hardware and developed an AI upscaler.

Get real.
When youre so far behind, youre able to shoot yourself in the foot without people noticing or caring.

FrankWza

Should have been $600 and 1 TB, no disc drive. Think that's what most were expecting. But I bought it so can't really complain at this point.
This is the most logical and fair reply. But I have a 980pro from launch and I don't mind having extra storage without having to buy a bigger nvme

LRKD

The same price the PS5 launched at. After several years of production costs go down. The ps5 pro inevitably reuses at least some of these, not to mention Manufactures (used to) always take losses on consoles, they make it back heavily elsewere.

NahaNago

You're kidding right?

MS have put out a 2tb series X with no other improvement for $600.

Sony has improved the hardware and developed an AI upscaler.

Get real.
The problem is that 2tb should only be like at most an extra 50. Sony might be able to get it cheaper since they are buying in bulk. So a 2tb digital ps5 should be 449. The question now is the ps5pro a 250 upgrade. This is before any price hikes/inflation.

Last edited:

Nydius

499$ for the Pro. 399$ for the disc, 299$ for the digital Edition. Havent had price drops in 4 years(!!!!) only price increases.

This, sorta.

To paraphrase part of my post from the Pro announcement thread: In an ideal world where COVID didn't clusterfuck everything, the PS5 OG and Slim would have already seen price drops and then they would have slid the Pro in around the same retail price as the original. Maybe silghtly higher,something like $549 for the disk drive version and $449 for the digital one.

Top Bottom