• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Realistically, what would have been an “acceptable” price for the PS5 Pro?

FrankWza

The problem is that 2tb should only be like at most an extra 50. Sony might be able to get it cheaper since they are buying in bulk. So a 2tb digital ps5 should be 449. The question now is the ps5pro a 250 upgrade. This is before any price hikes/inflation.
I think you're misunderstanding his point. The PS5 Pro is an upgrade of hardware And ssd capacity. The x he mentioned is just an ssd capacity upgrade

I would have paid £600 including the disc drive. It's £800 to me here in the UK as 90% of my games are physical. I'm also going to get the Switch 2 when it comes out so I don't want to be paying £1200 on hardware over the next 6 months.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
$200 - $250 over the price of the base PS5.
It's just the base PS5 should by now be cheaper.

Deerock71

id buy that for a dollar GIF

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
£600 with 1TB would have been ok.

£699 with 2TB is £50 too much and a little sticker shocky but I’m in for the next 4 years of this gen and GTA6 round the corner I want it to look and perform as well as possible so I’m willing to take the hit.

Plus I haven’t played rebirth yet so I’m down for 70+ hours of beauty in that game alone.

mdkirby

Meh, 700 is an acceptable price. Kinda annoying that they do a straight $ to £ conversion tho, so it was actually $935 for me, which is still fine for what it is and how much use I’ll get out of it. Americans really can’t complain at $700, it’s a bargain 🤷‍♂️

For me? A lot lower with more stuff bundled with it. Then again my cheap ass is the furthest thing from their intended audience for this.

I'd love to know what metrics they're shooting for to find success with this thing. Pretty sure they'll have great success with this and mostly from people who've already boughten a PS5.

Natsuko

799 is the price here. Maybe I would go with Drive and Stand at that price, but probably not. I'm not sure I'd even pay more than 500 for a console. To be honest I wouldn't buy it at the moment. Even for 500 ... This generation simply isn't getting off the ground when it comes to games. My Playstation 5 hasn't been on for ages because Astrobot isn't my genre. There's simply nothing at the moment. Maybe next year. Do I need a Pro version of a console for which one or two games that interest me will be released a year? I don't have the urge to replay the story games that much. And I don't need a new console for third party games.

I have an expensive PC with powerful hardware. A console has to offer exclusive games for me. More than one or two a year. I don't mind if the games also come (later) for the PC. But basically there have to be more than one or two interesting games a year. Only Nintendo has managed that in recent years. That's why I get a Switch 2 next year. But if Sony continues like this, no PS5 Pro and maybe not even a PS6. With the current policy, I can also wait for the PC ports, sorry Sony.

saintjules

Gold Member
It's fine I guess. But $599 without drive and stand vs $699 with drive and stand would have been nice.

I just think the stand should have been included regardless because if it's to help airflow why wouldn't it be there? The incentive then is that it isn't required. Anyway I'll get it a few days before.

Bitstream

2 thousand dollars. This way, the PC only cult stops wasting everyone's time with desperately assembled, often lower spec machines trying to prove a point no one asked them for.

Did you know if I only add 1TB of space and skip out on the $80 controller, I can kind of get close to the price? No one cares, shut up.

SJRB

Gold Member
It's all about value proposition, right? The PS5 Pro is supposed to deliver something that makes me want to fork over an equivalent amount of Euros.

At this moment in time I'd value the Pro at 500 euros tops. Sony is doing a terrible job of selling me on this thing and I've bought every Sony console day 1 since the PS2.

v1oz

The idea of a console is to subsidise the price. Otherwise you'd just build a PC and put it in a nice slimline A/V setup friendly case.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
$500-$599 CAD with disc drive included......but even then Sony hasn't done nothing to make want to upgrade my launch PS5.

The PS5 Pro is expensive so gamers take it seriously, but not TOO seriously. Any PS5 Pro owners must be serious gamers or my name is not Majorgamer10.

Last edited:

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
$599 as the absolute max.

Its wild tho seeing some ppl dismissing what the console can do because of the price.

$499 was not realistic seeing how Sony's been this gen with PS5 pricing.

$599 for the Pro with disc drive and stand included.

The pro is $960 cad here, plus another $100 for the drive. All before tax. Zero chance I would spend well over a grand for console, even if I can afford it.

Rising_Hei

€650 with everything included.
PS5 slim should be €400

The increase in price and lack of reduction of the cost of PS5 make it look less ugly than it should.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

Personally I think they should have dropped the price of regular Digital and Disk Edition by even $50, something and add $200 for the Pro.

So Disk version of the Pro would have been $650. And throw in a stand for fuck’s sake into the “Pro” product.

Edit: Pro will do ok for now as they got a decent amount of folks to upsell initially. However overall PS sales are dropping and the price for base models is the problem.

Last edited:

DavidGzz

Gold Member
I think the price is fine but I also bought a $3k+ PC. It's the casuals that will find it hard to accept at first. There is a mental barrier of $500 for them. Even though people end up spending $700+ after a few games and an extra controller either way..

Top Bottom