• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Realistically, what would have been an “acceptable” price for the PS5 Pro?

Rudius

ps2_targebt.jpg
That's the absolute acme of gaming right there. The best console of all time, the last console before smartphones and online fucked it all.

Reactions: WoJ

LordCBH

Could’ve lived with the price if it came with a disc drive. Nickel and diming people on the drive for a $700 console is a dick move.

Edit: AND vertical stand.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

The price would have been fine, for a console that did more than make a small amount of graphical improvements and performance improvements, and came fully equipped with everything needed.

It’s not the price, it’s the value proposition.

This thing doesn’t justify the expense.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
The price would have been fine, for a console that did more than make a small amount of graphical improvements and performance improvements, and came fully equipped with everything needed.

It’s not the price, it’s the value proposition.

This thing doesn’t justify the expense.
To me this sounds more like a generational leap thus it would have targeted mainstream consumers and likely Sony would have been willing to take a loss on such a huge selling system

Boss Mog

$700 would've been fine with a disc drive. They could've easily achieved this by putting a 1TB SSD instead of a 2TB one.

Now is not the time to add extra storage to the system when SSD prices have doubled since last year.

ap_puff

To me this sounds more like a generational leap thus it would have targeted mainstream consumers and likely Sony would have been willing to take a loss on such a huge selling system
The CFO said they're going for profit over widespread adoption now, I doubt next gen Sony is going to take a loss on any hardware. Imo they're reading the tea leaves and realizing that a smaller and smaller portion of people are going to have disposable income in the future due to AI and our economic system, and they're going to get as much margin as they can even if they cut the install base down. It's going to be real tough to be in the gaming industry in the coming decade.

Crayon

If they really can't price drop, 599 with a drive would have been more reasonable. As it is, the calculous must be that it's not going to attract many new users. I think that's wrong but I don't have the numbers.

So if it doesn't expand the userbase, it's best uses would be high margin and having a real halo product.

Actually ,it may attract more new users to buy a base PS5 than to buy a pro.

Im going to skip it at least for now. But either way, Sony still has me in their userbase. They just dangled out a thing for me that makes them an instant $250 or so but I didn't bite.

reinking

Gold Member
$700 is fine in the current market. People saying $299 - $499 are not paying attention to the market right now. t's just not feasible to drop the prices of current consoles or offer a low-priced Pro model. That is not to say I want the prices to increase, it is just the reality of where things are.

I would have been a lot happier if $700 also included the disc drive. Not including the disc drive was a dick move but I guess I'll deal with it if I keep my preorder

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
$600 digital. $650-$700 with drive and stand.

Probably the first time ever a new system launched and there wasnt a standard disc version console. Yes, you can add on the optional drive, but bumps up the price artificially and even worse they might be sold out so you got wait or buy a scaped disc drive.

It's supposed to be a "pro" system yet doesnt even come with a drive (and matching stand) like PS5 OG.

Last edited:
Playstation should copy Xbox all access. Take it home today. Pay it off for $30 a month. No interest. Includes Playstation plus premium.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
The same price the OG console launched at, but that would have required price drops on the regular console, outside of flash sales.

This is the first generation where the MSRP has increased as the Gen goes on, not decrease.

dmaul1114

I preordered one, so it's fine for me--if higher than I'd have liked.

But if I was trying to build base I'd probably have cut PS5 Slim to $400 and made PS5 pro without disc drive $500 or $550. Or $550 if including a disc drive.

But end of day, it's a mid-gen upgrade for enthusiasts that they're likely selling for a profit day 1 so they don't care about the above and can still later on drop price on the Slim if they need to try to boost sales. A mid gen refresh 4 years into a generation is never meant to get people who couldn't afford to jump in yet.

WoJ

I wouldn't have laughed in Sonys face if they included a stand and disc drive at the 700 dollar price point. But $600would have been preferable .

Ozzie666

As a luxury item not meant for the masses. The price is what it is and it's fine. The lack of the drive hurts, but everyone around here loves digitial gaming right? Everyone around here wanted mid-gen refreshes.

Don't buy it if you can't afford it and enjoy your PS5 or play games on your over priced iphone you have no problems shelling out cash for.

Not required for purchase and enjoyment. Based on the pre-orders, seems people have voted with their wallets and bought it anyhow.

rm082e

The $699 price makes perfect sense to me.

Obviously I'd like things to be cheaper, but Moore's law is dead - if you look at all CPUs/GPUs over the last few years, they're all getting more expensive. They've gotten the process nodes down almost as small as they can get it and we're seeing costs rise as they just make bigger and more power hungry chips to keep pushing performance. Not to mention supply chain issues have been a real problem and will continue to by until we create more industrial bases (Mexico, SE Asia, etc.), but then those will need to earn back their investment, so no solution on the retail price side. And then Xbox no longer serving as competition for them plays a factor as well.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
$699 is perfectly fine. Whiners simply need to re-adjust their expectations. This is going to be the reality moving forward. Inflation is real.

AngelMuffin

$699 is fine with me, especially after I sell my current PS5. The PS3 cost me more in 2006 (adjusted for inflation) than the PS5 Pro.

$499.99 with Disc Drive.

Still bought it, but even I can admit the price of $699.99 without disc drive or stand is old school arrogant Sony.

Last edited:

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
Nobody asked for a 2 TB drive. But a lot ask for a drive and stand.

That's why almost nobody has said a PS5 Pro digital with 2 TB is good value.

I did. Many others did. They just didn't complain like the people that wanted an outdated disc drive. Don't speak for others.

I do think that a compromise could have been made, just make the PS5 Pro $599 with 1TB and no disc drive, but no doubt wanted more margin and so here we are with 2TB instead but I'm perfectly happy with that.

RyanEvans21

Nobody asked for a 2 TB drive. But a lot ask for a drive and stand.

That's why almost nobody has said a PS5 Pro digital with 2 TB is good value.
A lot of people buying digital games now instead of physical. (Deluxe & Cross-Gen Bundle).

Most game right now only digital like wukong.

$700 Including the disc drive.

Last edited:

saintjules

Gold Member
Personally I think they should have dropped the price of regular Digital and Disk Edition by even $50, something and add $200 for the Pro.

So Disk version of the Pro would have been $650. And throw in a stand for fuck’s sake into the “Pro” product.

Edit: Pro will do ok for now as they got a decent amount of folks to upsell initially. However overall PS sales are dropping and the price for base models is the problem.

But how does reducing the price of the base model justify the Pro price getting to where it is now?

As a person who bought the Pro I don't care if the price drops on the base model. I'm not buying that product and it doesn't make the Pro cheaper or change it's stance. Maybe I'm missing something.

to be honest I'm not feeling the need for a mid-get refresh, so it would have to be pretty cheap for me to invest. Last gen when the PS4 pro and One X came out it felt like the original systems were severely underperforming, and the mid-get was needed. Maybe it was the pandemic delays, or current economics of gaming, or both, but the current systems feel powerful enough to me. I'm just starting to feel the need to upgrade my 3080, but to be honest it's just because there is better available. The graphics and performance on most game is still really good (I render in 2K).

GMAK2442

At the end, we perfectly know what is the deal with this. So I say the price should be affordable for all. So like 200$

$600 with the disc drive included would have been fair and reasonable.

Max.

Our currency is shit, but here in Sweden the PS5 Pro + the disc drive costs exactly double what I payed for PS5 at the original release date. Jeez.

Last edited:

AmuroChan

Acceptable to who exactly? The $1000 30th Anniversary Pro sold out in mere seconds. Many of us would've happily bought that if Sony made more of them.

$700 is a lot of money certainly, but the Pro is an enthusiast device for a luxury hobby. The reality is that everything else in life has gotten more expensive in the past few years due to inflation. Demand for high end chips are through the roof due to the recent AI surge. It's naive to think that the Pro would be priced similarly to the PS4 Pro in 2016, given the macro-economic conditions the world is in.

Rockman33

$599 with a disc drive. The PS4 pro launched 3 years later with double the gpu at the same launch price. This is launching 4 years later with 1.7x the gpu power.

AmuroChan

I did. Many others did. They just didn't complain like the people that wanted an outdated disc drive. Don't speak for others.

I do think that a compromise could have been made, just make the PS5 Pro $599 with 1TB and no disc drive, but no doubt wanted more margin and so here we are with 2TB instead but I'm perfectly happy with that.

I think $599 went out the door when MS released their new 2TB Series X w/o a disc drive for $599. Sony wouldn't want the Pro to be the same price and create confusion in the market that the Pro and new Series X are similar in specs.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
The price is not the issue considering what you're getting. It's the lack of compelling software to go along with it.
I remember this get thrown around in the PS3 era. It was cheap for what you're getting.

Remember the PS3 was priced at 600, but the parts were worth close to 900. That doesn't matter. Value and cost are two different things. I hope that's easy to understand..

Last edited:
Top Bottom