• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Realistically, what would have been an “acceptable” price for the PS5 Pro?

digdug2

I don't mean subjective worth, I mean bom cost. Leave the disk drive so it's same for same and it's a $250 difference, but yeah I can't be sure it even costs them $100 dollars.

I don't know about the money on R&D for a low volume thing though. That's a thing.
R&D is a BIG thing, usually costing millions, if not billions of dollars. It's baked into the consumer cost.

According to the article below, Sony spent roughly $2.1 billion dollars on gaming R&D in 2023. It's hard to say how much of that went toward the PS5 Pro and what went toward Concord :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Crayon

R&D is a BIG thing, usually costing millions, if not billions of dollars. It's baked into the consumer cost.

According to the article below, Sony spent roughly $2.1 billion dollars on gaming R&D in 2023. It's hard to say how much of that went toward the PS5 Pro and what went toward Concord :messenger_grinning_sweat:

I'm almost positive there's a best thing premium but counting the r&d coats, idk what would be left. I'll agree it has to be paid for somehow though. Just as much as the upgraded parts. It gets spread out for every system sold, but they have projections for that so same difference.

digdug2

I'm almost positive there's a best thing premium but counting the r&d coats, idk what would be left. I'll agree it has to be paid for somehow though. Just as much as the upgraded parts. It gets spread out for every system sold, but they have projections for that so same difference.
You're right. There's a "gotta have it" premium, but I don't think that amount would be too outrageous. I could see the upgraded materials and 2TB SSD pushing up the cost in the BOM. I'm sure they probably had to re-engineer the cooling too since they're likely pushing this thing harder than the regular PS5 (but I suppose that would be factored into the R&D).

Agent_Nobody

Gold Member
I think it’s fine as it is, it’s aimed at a smaller market (or at least should be) than the PS4 pro which was trying to fill the gap for 4k screens at the time, this just feels a little less necessary with the diminishing returns.

I’d be very interested if they upgraded the CPU and RAM to a large extent like the Xbox One X was to the base Xbox One, but that probably would have made it even more crazy in price…so it was never meant to be. But the way they made it here is still an easier transition for developers; where they can simply just open up resolution to do the same thing at scale with the base model, and possibly some extra RT options.

Last edited:

BlackTron

Dude, you are the reason for the entire conversation. Do us all a favor and take your break from the Internet. It's a good plan.

Thanks dad. Don't gaslight me because someone replied to my comment with this corporate-stanning maelstrom . I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt that you merely took a drive-by without using your reading comprehension hat so take the cliffnotes.
Do you need milk to make a cake?
"You don't need it!"
Great I'm making it!
"You can't"
Huh? Why?
"We don't have milk."
I thought we didn't need it?
"You don't need it, you can just make bread which is equally as edible, you know. Hmm, do you need a break? You seem bothered."

digdug2

Thanks dad. Don't gaslight me because someone replied to my comment with this corporate-stanning maelstrom . I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt that you merely took a drive-by without using your reading comprehension hat so take the cliffnotes.
Who's gaslighting who? You're trying to patronize me and make it seem like I'm stupid because I called out your bullshit sarcastic shenanigans.

The PS5 Pro is $700. It does not come with a vertical stand. You can buy a stand if you want to place your PS5 upright. Or you can place it upright anyway without a stand. It doesn't need to go any further and you don't need to be a dick.

snapdragon

Neo Member

AngelMuffin

pAcOd88.jpeg

simpatico

Price is fine. I think for consoles to be good moving forward we shouldn't shy away from iPhone tier pricing. My question is, why not? People pay that much for phones all the time, and at least for me I'd view a console as a bigger item than a phone. Getting GameStop to offer financing on them the way phone stores do on phones should be a focus.

Last edited:

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
Zen 2 in 2025? first off ditch the "pro" name

Discontinue the worthless base PS5 (cut price to $399 until it sells out)

and sell the new system for $499.99 (digital) and $599.99 (Disk)

BlackTron

Who's gaslighting who? You're trying to patronize me and make it seem like I'm stupid because I called out your bullshit sarcastic shenanigans.

The PS5 Pro is $700. It does not come with a vertical stand. You can buy a stand if you want to place your PS5 upright. Or you can place it upright anyway without a stand. It doesn't need to go any further and you don't need to be a dick.

My opinion that the system should come with a stand is a valid one whether you like it or not. This thread is about PS5 Pro pricing. I didn't start any "bullshit sarcastic shenanigans", I was genuinely confused by someone obfuscating the issue with Doublespeak.

Either make a design that doesn't need a stand like Wii or put it in the box. Vertical placement tax come on.
They did.

Excuse me for being confused that he was talking about the same problem I was and not horizontal Pros and vertical old systems. This comment led me to believe PS5 did not require a stand to place vertical. His assertion that people would complain no matter what they did and my counter-opinion that that's demonstrably untrue because somehow Nintendo figured out the secret ingredient not to be criticized for it almost 20 years ago is different one. Deal with both.

digdug2

My opinion that the system should come with a stand is a valid one whether you like it or not. This thread is about PS5 Pro pricing. I didn't start any "bullshit sarcastic shenanigans", I was genuinely confused by someone obfuscating the issue with Doublespeak.

Excuse me for being confused that he was talking about the same problem I was and not horizontal Pros and vertical old systems. This comment led me to believe PS5 did not require a stand to place vertical. His assertion that people would complain no matter what they did and my counter-opinion that that's demonstrably untrue because somehow Nintendo figured out the secret ingredient not to be criticized for it almost 20 years ago is different one. Deal with both.
FYBRLey.gif

Lambogenie

Price is fine. I think for consoles to be good moving forward we shouldn't shy away from iPhone tier pricing. My question is, why not? People pay that much for phones all the time, and at least for me I'd view a console as a bigger item than a phone. Getting GameStop to offer financing on them the way phone stores do on phones should be a focus.
MS said or did try this no?

I've seen retailers attempt it, but the model hasn't quite worked or been successful.

The way everything is going up in price, and the demand for better tech (even if most people just watch YouTube and browse on phones), the model makes sense. Lock them in for 1-2 years throwing in PS Plus or whatever.

Iced Arcade

I think the biggest issue for me is they launch it at the tail end of the generation and like last gen it will show minimal gains for a short period of time (unless they stretch out this gen). I'd be cool if it was a pro console with a premium tag if we got an entire gen. But it's targeting a small market who don't mind blowing money so it's all good.

The Canadian price is also comical. $1104.00 (after tax)

You're kidding right?

MS have put out a 2tb series X with no other improvement for $600.

Sony has improved the hardware and developed an AI upscaler.

Get real.
Which is absolutely foolish in itself.

Last edited:

KINGMOKU

It doesn't matter how much money you've got, certain price points for entertainment devices are just out of bounds.

499.99 for the digital version.

599.99 for the complete console.

"This doesn't compete with this device."

I have really heard that so many times over the years it's insane. The PS5 pro, is absolutely competing with every single device that plays videogames, for normal people.(Not forum members)

I understand that the pro is an "enthusiast" device, but what they've done with the price, is make it an enthusiasts, enthusiast device. Your already cutting down your potential market by it being just a "pro" version of something on the market, but with the absurd price, you've cut that potential pie, even more.

In the end, sales of the device will determine if it was worth it, but with im sure tight margins, how much are they making on each console sold? Will 5 million units sold cover all the costs associated with it? 10 million?

NahaNago

So why are MS charging £599 for a 2tb Series X?
A quick look I found that a 1tb ssd for xbox is 149 and a 2tb ssd for 249. I think it might be overpriced because it is proprietary.
So if i get a PS5 slim digital for $450 with 1tb and spend $70 for a WD black 850x 1TB. The total cost would be around $520. How it would cost $449?
The ps5 digital cost 399 at launch so if Sony paid a discounted bulk purchase of an upgraded ssd it would probably be around 450. I'm also basing this off the original price. Everything has gone up in price since then though.

Last edited:

simpatico

MS said or did try this no?

I've seen retailers attempt it, but the model hasn't quite worked or been successful.

The way everything is going up in price, and the demand for better tech (even if most people just watch YouTube and browse on phones), the model makes sense. Lock them in for 1-2 years throwing in PS Plus or whatever.
They might have talked about during the Bone promoting, but I haven’t seen GameStop handing out any credit applications. It would require a lot of financial infrastructure to be in place before launch day, but I think gamers and the companies would both benefit if it’s done correctly.

Top Bottom