• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Realistically, what would have been an “acceptable” price for the PS5 Pro?

Barakov

499$ for the Pro. 399$ for the disc, 299$ for the digital Edition. Havent had price drops in 4 years(!!!!) only price increases.
Thread done. Sony is off their rocker with this price and not including a disc drive in the machine. The $499 price for the base PS5 was pushing it but $700 without the disc drive is insane.

Toots

Gold Member
Value is relative.
A few years ago PC tards where paying 4 or 5 times msrp for nvidia GPUs because they found value in it...

800$ isn't much really, if you have a bit of money to spare.
That's not even half what you pay for a week's vacations (in a not even fancy place).

John Wick

The same price the PS5 launched at. After several years of production costs go down. The ps5 pro inevitably reuses at least some of these, not to mention Manufactures (used to) always take losses on consoles, they make it back heavily elsewere.
Yeah used to but not in current climate.

John Wick

The problem is that 2tb should only be like at most an extra 50. Sony might be able to get it cheaper since they are buying in bulk. So a 2tb digital ps5 should be 449. The question now is the ps5pro a 250 upgrade. This is before any price hikes/inflation.
So why are MS charging £599 for a 2tb Series X?

Bojji

Everything is expensive these days. MS of all companies are not trying to milk customers because they need more customers. And subsidized gaming console days are over.

What? They are selling exact same hardware as in 2020 (as far as I'm aware) but just with 2TB SSD drive instead of 1TB SSD drive inside? It's even worse value than PS5 Pro.

No doubt that for both MS and Sony base models costs them less now than in 2020, yet price is the same.

Last edited:

scydrex

The problem is that 2tb should only be like at most an extra 50. Sony might be able to get it cheaper since they are buying in bulk. So a 2tb digital ps5 should be 449. The question now is the ps5pro a 250 upgrade. This is before any price hikes/inflation.
So if i get a PS5 slim digital for $450 with 1tb and spend $70 for a WD black 850x 1TB. The total cost would be around $520. How it would cost $449?

What? They are selling exact same hardware as in 2020 (as far as I'm aware) but just with 2TB SSD drive instead of 1TB SSD drive inside? It's even worse value than PS5 Pro.

No doubt that for both MS and Sony base models costs them less now than in 2020, yet price is the same.
You would think so wouldn't you? Word is MS was losing $200 per console at release and maybe they are getting close to break even and refuse to subsidize things anymore. Sony actually increased prices in some territories with weak currency. Inflation, fab costs, manufacturing costs in China has gone up as the people there are getting paid more. Two major changes in consoles that has occurred in the past while and they are.

Nintendo has taught MS and Sony you don't need to reduce prices like in the past.
MS created the annual subscription and it can work for milking its consumers of online play.

FrankWza

Either make a design that doesn't need a stand like Wii or put it in the box. Vertical placement tax come on. Wii came with one despite not even needing it to stand up and being a "poor man's console".
They did. The slim/Pro includes a horizontal solution and the launch PS5 had a convertible stand included because it was necessary. They were going to be criticized either way. When the PS5 launched the stand was one of the biggest complaints because it was needed for it to go horizontal. The ps2, ps3 and ps4 all had optional vertical stands. I get the points about them including a disk drive, and I think they should have made it a 1tb console instead of 2tb. But let's be honest, they'd be criticized for that because it's sold as a digital console with a disk drive option.

BlackTron

They did. The slim/Pro includes a horizontal solution and the launch PS5 had a convertible stand included because it was necessary. They were going to be criticized either way. When the PS5 launched the stand was one of the biggest complaints because it was needed for it to go horizontal. The ps2, ps3 and ps4 all had optional vertical stands. I get the points about them including a disk drive, and I think they should have made it a 1tb console instead of 2tb. But let's be honest, they'd be criticized for that because it's sold as a digital console with a disk drive option.

Oh. If it doesn't need a stand to go vertical, who gives a shit.

BlackTron

It does. But it includes the horizontal feet to be placed horizontal. They moved away from the launch convertible stand that could be used vertical and horizontal

This is getting really confusing. Does the Pro require an additional purchase to place vertical? Yes or no. Emphasis on vertical. Meaning standing upright.

FrankWza

This is getting really confusing. Does the Pro require an additional purchase to place vertical? Yes or no. Emphasis on vertical. Meaning standing upright.
Yes. And just like every Sony console since the PS2 except the launch PS5 it does not include one.

BlackTron

Yes. And just like every Sony console since the PS2 except the launch PS5 it does not include one.

So I stand by my original post 100%.

Either make a design that doesn't need a stand like Wii or put it in the box. Vertical placement tax come on. Wii came with one despite not even needing it to stand up and being a "poor man's console".

PS2, PS3 and PS4 did not require the stands. So who cares. This is a vertical placement tax, therefore everyone cares.

Edit: I'm sorry but LOL at suggesting that "including a horizontal solution" means they did something to compensate for lack of vertical. Wow thanks for thinking to include any way at all to...put the system down. Props guys.

Last edited:
I think £649 with the disc drive attachment and the stand would have been a much more acceptable price for the PS5 Pro.

As it is now, the system will cost me a total of £828.38: £699.99 for the console, £103.40 for the disc drive attachments (which I bought from Argos last month) and £24.99 for the stand (which I bought earlier this year and currently use with my launch PS5). In comparison, I paid £449.99 for the launch PS5 from Amazon here in the UK. That came with a disc drive and a stand in the box. That's almost double the price going from the PS5 to PS5 Pro!

I do honestly think that Sony are scalping / exploiting their user base here, knowing full well that the die hard gamers will pay whatever they ask to own a more powerful PS5. Obviously, the hardware is more expensive than the PS5 with a newer GPU and a larger SSD but I am sure that the price bump includes a decent profit margin for Sony.

Last edited:

FrankWza

So I stand by my original post 100%.

PS2, PS3 and PS4 did not require the stands. So who cares. This is a vertical placement tax, therefore everyone cares.
Again, it does not need it. Every Sony console that could be placed vertically needed a stand for stability and or airflow. The only reason the launch PS5 had included one was that it was convertible. The PS2, PS3 and PS4 all had your "vertical placement tax"

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

Not nearly $1,000 for some countries, lol. I figured $600 - $700. The closer to $1,000 it got felt ridiculous to me, because I felt like people might as well start building a PC.

Felessan

Price reduction is minimal

Actually to get an idea how things changed you can look at size of boxes:
PS2 vs PS2 slim
PS3 vs PS3 slim
PS4 vs PS4 slim
PS5 vs PS5 slim

Size reduction should be correlated with price reduction and with each generation slim model became less and less "slim" and delta from launch to final price also became smaller. iirc PS4 only got 100$ / 25% price cut over it's lifetime compared to 50% for PS3, 66% for PS2 and 80% for PS1

BlackTron

Again, it does not need it. Every Sony console that could be placed vertically needed a stand for stability and or airflow. The only reason the launch PS5 had included one was that it was convertible. The PS2, PS3 and PS4 all had your "vertical placement tax"

I had PS2, 3 and 4. Didn't use a stand and they were all vertical at one point or another. My 3 and 4 still are.

6hjwG64.gif

FrankWza

It needs it to be vertical but it does not need it since it includes a horizontal solution in the box with or without disk drive. The launch PS5 had a convertible stand so it had a vertical solution by default. Because the disc drive became modular they went away from the convertible stand. Now it is capable of sitting horizontal out of the box, with or without a disk drive. Just like every Sony console after ps1.
I had PS2, 3 and 4. Didn't use a stand and they were all vertical at one point or another. My 3 and 4 still are.

6hjwG64.gif
You can stand a PS5 slim vertically without a stand. I don't know if it's stable or good for airflow but it's possible. Just because you did that with your PS2-ps4 doesn't mean that there wasn't a Sony licensed stand the recommended for vertical placement. Just like the new slim. You can also put your TV on some cinder blocks and eat dinner off of an Amazon box while you sit on a milk crate but I recommend a TV stand, table and chairs.

BlackTron

It needs it to be vertical but it does not need it since it includes a horizontal solution in the box with or without disk drive.
Oh I get it. You need a stand to place it vertical. But you don't need to place it vertical anyway, because luckily they included a way to place it horizontal.

It's conversations like these that make me want to take a break from the Internet.

To be fair, I took a look at my consoles. I'd forgotten that the PS4 Pro is placed vertical with the PS logo "upside down" because of how it vents; it's usually not visible other than a bit of the front. At least the option is there; PS5 is not a system you can place in any non-compromising position without a stand.

Last edited:

FrankWza

Oh I get it. You need a stand to place it vertical. But you don't need to place it vertical anyway, because luckily they included a way to place it horizontal.

It's conversations like these that make me want to take a break from the Internet.

To be fair, I took a look at my consoles. I'd forgotten that the PS4 Pro is placed vertical with the PS logo "upside down" because of how it vents; it's usually not visible other than a bit of the front. At least the option is there; PS5 is not a system you can place in any non-compromising position without a stand.
Don't forget to turn the PS logo on your PS2 when you place it vertical. And the PS2, for some reason, had an optional Sony licensed horizontal stand which I never understood.

Last edited:
499$ for the Pro. 399$ for the disc, 299$ for the digital Edition. Havent had price drops in 4 years(!!!!) only price increases.
I mean this would be ideal but realistically $599 for Pro, and the same prices for the current consoles.

I would love to get back to "standard console pricing" but it's unrealistic in the world we live in now.

If it was £599 with the disc drive, I probably would have just purchased it without a second thought and sold off my current OG model. However, it's another £200 on top of that and the PS5 isn't my primary gaming system in the first place.

For me personally, there is more value in me putting £800 towards the next generation of GPU for my PC.

GoldenEye98

posts news as their odd job
I feel like they could of done $599 with 1TB if they really wanted to but it's clear this is a premium product in the same way the DualSense Edge is. Not intended to do mass market numbers.

BlackTron

Don't forget to turn the PS logo on your PS2 when you place it vertical. And the PS2, for some reason, had an optional Sony licensed horizontal stand which I never understood.

Are you also confused why Wii came with a stand even though it was optional to use it as well? Would it have been even more confusing if it was an optional purchase?

My whole point is placing it vertical shouldn't be a paid upgrade. If the system design doesn't allow for it, add it. Nintendo gives you a stand whether it's required to place vertical (Wii U) or not (Wii).

Euler007

649$ with 1 TB. But then there might have been more demand than they could produce in the critical path to launch.

Melfice7

on a normal world , in 4 years since the ps5 released we should already have a price drop by now and ps5 pro should release at the the same price ps5 originally had

but these multi billion dollar companies that have record profits every year, want to use inflation to justify their greed and instead of price drops we had price increases

Felessan

on a normal world , in 4 years since the ps5 released we should already have a price drop by now and ps5 pro should release at the the same price ps5 originally had

but these multi billion dollar companies that have record profits every year, want to use inflation to justify their greed and instead of price drops we had price increases
In normal world Moore Law is dead and there is no more cheap shrinks and price cuts over time.
In fantasy world it's still 2005.

chilichote

For me as an European, 699€ with a Drive, 599€ without - I was hoping that would be the maximum price for both, but I was wrong^^

Maybe Sony wants to hype the technology this way or maybe they are aware of the impact PSSR might have and believe the PS5 Pro is worth it. We will see how quickly a price reduction comes or doesn't come.

Jimmy_liv

700 is acceptable providing there is supported 1p games.
Sadly there's is almost nothing from the Ps5 era which is exclusive to this gen and which can demonstrate the potential.

I bought it anyway but the lack of content is what lowers the value.

Last edited:

digdug2

Dude, you are the reason for the entire conversation. Do us all a favor and take your break from the Internet. It's a good plan.

Crayon

Worth is subjective matter
If you can find +60% CU and additional blocks for AI and RT for less than 100$ - good luck (4070 to 3060 launch msrp difference is 280$)

I don't mean subjective worth, I mean bom cost. Leave the disk drive so it's same for same and it's a $250 difference, but yeah I can't be sure it even costs them $100 dollars.

I don't know about the money on R&D for a low volume thing though. That's a thing.

Top Bottom