• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Realistically, what would have been an “acceptable” price for the PS5 Pro?

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I would have been THRILLED if the Swedish price had been the equivalent of $700, which is about 7000 SEK. I'd have happily paid 8,000 SEK, maybe even 8,500. But this thing is 10,500 SEK here, which is $1,040. Add the disc drive, which is also much more expensive here, and we're looking at about 12,100 SEK ($1,200) for a complete console. I just can't.

Even the Euro price would have been awesome in comparison, but for some reason we're getting a huge fuck you tax on top of that here in the Nordics.

You US guys complain (perhaps rightfully so), but you don't know how good you have it compared to how we're getting fucked over here.

Last edited:
I think
I see some other saying how original should cost like $300-400 like lol, lmao even as some say. Its a console that does 1440p60 or more(or very rarely less) for most majority of new games. These consoles including series x are not as far behind as previous gens from average pc.
The PS5 digital launched at $399 in 2020. We are two months from them being 4 years old. In every prior gen this absolutely would have been $300 by now. The tech is irrelevant because that's relative to the time period. Hell the PS3 dropped in price faster and that used proprietary tech. Modern consoles use off the shelf PC components and purchased in bulk to produce 10s of millions of closed box consoles.

The reality is these companies no longer want to eat any losses on hardware or break even, despite the various ways they have found to further monetize the consumer with subscriptions, DLC etc.

Last edited:

Fess

I would have been THRILLED if the Swedish price had been the equivalent of $700, which is about 7000 SEK. I'd have happily paid 8,000 SEK, maybe even 8,500. But this thing is 10,500 SEK here, which is $1,040. Add the disc drive, which is also much more expensive here, and we're looking at about 12,100 SEK ($1,200) for a complete console. I just can't.

Even the Euro price would have been awesome in comparison, but for some reason we're getting a huge fuck you tax on top of that here in the Nordics.

You US guys complain (perhaps rightfully so), but you don't know how good you have it compared to how we're getting fucked over here.
Yeah it’s similar in Norway, and Denmark, and €849 in Finland, converts to $950ish.
$2,500 RTX 4090 still wins the award for the most absurd pricing.

All this would be fine if salaries would’ve increased in bigger jumps the last 5-10 years but that ain’t happening.

Bojji

It's 699$ + taxes. Taxes are included in the 799 Euro.

Looks like they didn't know about taxes in 2020 (and before that with PS4 Pro):
screen-shot-2020-09-16-at-4-44-04-pm.png

50349535038_42fa72f759_k.jpg

launch-price-of-the-ps4-pro-compared-to-a-new-base-ps4-v0-1df376qxj0od1.jpg

Last edited:

Synastry

I have no problem with the 699$ price tag and from learning more over the last week about the pro looks to be worth it.

I think overall we gamers have just been groom into the $399 or $499 price point.

It will be a good machine for sure but 800€ is a no go for me considering what it offers and without disk drive or stand.. it sound really like a shit move for what should be a premium product.. can’t stop feeling I’m being fu..ed in the ass.. plus I play less than a handful of games per year.. I have the money but can’t really justify buying it now.. I’ll wait and see how it goes..

Spyxos

Gold Member
The price is not the issue considering what you're getting. It's the lack of compelling software to go along with it.
I find the hardware relatively weak. They should have invested in a newer Cpu. Cpu heavy games like Space Marine 2, which already have problems on the ps5, will also have problems on the pro, even if a little less.

BlackTron

I get what you're saying but it's an optional stand if you need to go vertical. You can also buy one on Amazon for $15

Either make a design that doesn't need a stand like Wii or put it in the box. Vertical placement tax come on. Wii came with one despite not even needing it to stand up and being a "poor man's console".

Malcolm9

The current price is right for the power increase, and the additional 1Tb of storage.

I would have preferred the disc drive to be included, but I'm mainly digital anyway, so I may even buy the four physical games I have digitally as well.

I'll sell my current OG PS5 with the four games and two controllers for around £450, then put that towards the Pro.

Looks like they didn't know about taxes in 2020 (and before that with PS4 Pro):

50349535038_42fa72f759_k.jpg

launch-price-of-the-ps4-pro-compared-to-a-new-base-ps4-v0-1df376qxj0od1.jpg

There's probally a good reason why it's 799 Euros instead of 749, which is about what it should be, assuming 20% VAT and current currency rates.

Last edited:

Bojji

There's probally a good reason why it's 799 Euros instead of 749, which is about what it should be, assuming 20% VAT and current currency rates.

That reason is Sony greed. They know they can get more from their most loyal customers on Europe (that saved PS3).

eerik9000

PS5 launch prices over here in November 2020: €450 and €550
PS5 regular prices over here in 2024: €500 and €600
PS5 promotional prices over here in October 2024: €400 and €500
PS5 Pro pre-order/launch price over here: €850

Given all the market conditions, etc., I feel that fair price for the Pro would be 50% higher than the base model. So, €600 for the driveless model, maybe €650. Unfortunately it is over-priced by €200 euros.

Arioco

I was expecting 599 for 1Tb and with disc drive included. Yes, I know, I'm so dumb... 🙄 In Europe it ended up being 920 euros with the disc drive, absolutely crazy, the PS4 Pro was 399 at launch.

Lng0004

I'm honestly not that mad at the price (US prices anyway, I can see why the rest of the world would be extremely upset at the disparities), especially with inflation and the price of the OG PS5 not even going down. However, not including the disk drive, and not doing a good job at showcasing the extra power made it a little less appealing of a purchase.

I still got one tho. My backlog is massive and would be nice to play the games in boosted model

Last edited:
I was expecting $600 with a disc drive, and a price drop on the og PS5. I'm still shocked that it never got any price drop after all this time. But why drop it if people are still buying, right?

Outlier

$600 Digital Pro, whilst Standard PS5 with Disc drive is phased out.

Digital PS5 becomes the standard, at $400.

The Disc drive would be sold seprarately.

Seems to be the perfect balance for pricing.

$500. Ultimately, you'd like to see 4 year old tech noticeable reduced in price, which would open the door for matching the original price with the update (like they did last-gen).

AmuroChan

I factored in 20% inflation. An extra year. And the increase in power is less than the ps4 pro. I stand by $600 w/disc.

They saw a market that would pay them more without competition in this area and got greedy. Not saying it won’t sell to expectations, but they are definitely making way more profit off the ps5 pro than the ps4 pro when it launched.

Did you factor in chip prices as well? Also, the $599 price tag went out the door the moment they saw MS releasing their 2TB Series X w/ no disc drive for $599 and that's not even an upgraded console. Once I saw that, I knew there was no chance the Pro would be priced at $599.

Rockman33

Why would PS5 OG should have significant price drop when its cost no going down? Problem is not imflation, 15% difference is like 70$ drop (thus making PRO a 600$ console still wo hard drive)
Many still try to live in a fantasy where Moore Law is still alive and kicking, while it's essentially dead and I expect that every new power-up will come with additional cost with very slow cost reduction.

Give that PS5 OG is 499 with drive, 599 with drive would give us a very marginal upgrade, why bother to upgrade at all at this pace?

The situation in tech not the same as it was when PS4 Pro launched.

That’s why I increased the price by 100…

Did you factor in chip prices as well? Also, the $599 price tag went out the door the moment they saw MS releasing their 2TB Series X w/ no disc drive for $599 and that's not even an upgraded console. Once I saw that, I knew there was no chance the Pro would be priced at $599.
Series X is a limited edition console…. Ya know, when they release a console with a special skin…. Pretty sure Sony literally just did this with the 30th anniversary console.

I find this discussion hilarious that the OP is asking what you think the price should be. People voice their opinion and then there’s a bunch of Sony enthusiasts telling you your “opinion” is wrong.

$600 digital. $650-$700 with drive and stand.

Probably the first time ever a new system launched and there wasnt a standard disc version console. Yes, you can add on the optional drive, but bumps up the price artificially and even worse they might be sold out so you got wait or buy a scaped disc drive.

It's supposed to be a "pro" system yet doesnt even come with a drive (and matching stand) like PS5 OG.
Yeah when you think about it like that, my PS5 base with the disc drive included is more pro than the pro.

AmuroChan

Series X is a limited edition console…. Ya know, when they release a console with a special skin…. Pretty sure Sony literally just did this with the 30th anniversary console.

I find this discussion hilarious that the OP is asking what you think the price should be. People voice their opinion and then there’s a bunch of Sony enthusiasts telling you your “opinion” is wrong.

I'm not saying you're wrong at all. I would've loved for it to be $600. If you think it should be $100, that's totally within your right. I'm just discussing how the $700 price tag came to be.

$600 Digital Pro, whilst Standard PS5 with Disc drive is phased out.

Digital PS5 becomes the standard, at $400.

The Disc drive would be sold seprarately.

Seems to be the perfect balance for pricing.
Yeah I wouldn't bother even with the disc sku. Two sku digital, $400 base and $600 Pro, $80 disc add-on. And for fuck sakes Sony, include the fucking stand. I mean really?

Yeah, if Xbox was actually competitive I could see Sony pricing the Pro at $599 just to show them up. But they aren't, so no need to. The 2TB XSX price is beyond a joke when the demand isn't even there for their cheaper offerings. They've actually spent 2024 giving you less reasons than ever to invest in the console.

Majormaxxx

$700 is high, and clearly the majority of people think it’s too high.

But it had to cost more than the base model ps5, which is currently $450 if we use the digital edition, which seems like the most logical choice since the pro is also digital only (still can’t believe that, btw…)

So the price would have to be between $450-$700.

So what is it? $600? $550? $650?

What would have been the price that gamers wouldn’t have their current level of sticker shock?
The problem with this logic is that they kept the price for base model thats high.

Ps4 cost 400. Ps4 pro cost 400 after three years.

Now ps5 costs the same after 4 years. What?

Felessan

I'm not sure if there's an extra $100 worth of stuff in there as it is.
Worth is subjective matter
If you can find +60% CU and additional blocks for AI and RT for less than 100$ - good luck (4070 to 3060 launch msrp difference is 280$)

PS5 regular prices over here in 2024: €500 and €600

Given all the market conditions, etc., I feel that fair price for the Pro would be 50% higher than the base model. So, €600 for the driveless model, maybe €650. Unfortunately it is over-priced by €200 euros.
50% higher than €500 is €750. not €600

Some people wants it free.
Your "Sony enthusiasts" just try to put some arguments into the light that some people expectations are outdated and unrealistic in modern times.

navii

My fantasy is that my girlfriend was actually a young high school girl.
People love going on about inflation. But don't mention the technology decay. 4 year old technology is worth less today than it was 4 years ago. Yet the PS5 is still the same price. Kinda disingenuous to factor one and not the other when talking about the PS5 Pro price, but not recognising that PS5 price should be dropping. Ofcourse if they drop the PS5 price to match the technology decay, then the $700 will seem to be en even greater difference. It's all a bit shady from Sony.

Go_Ly_Dow

£599 without disc drive.

£649 with disc drive.
To add to this, £549 for a 1TB, £599 for a 2TB and £50 for the disc drive and I think they would fly off the shelves and would already be sold out.

The stand shit doesn't bother me, but the lack of a 1TB option at a lower cost coupled with how expensive the disc drive is makes it a harder sell right of the bat.

Last edited:

HogIsland

700 for the box isnt insane. But not including the disc drive is a fuck.

If they charged 750 with the drive it would be less triggering. Going with no disc sku is a clear sign Sony is trying to phase out discs. I'll just never accept it in a console with only a first party store.

Last edited:
Yep, I do think the $700 asking price would be acceptable for many if the disc drive was added along with the stand. For this price, I would want all the bells and whistles.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
$700 without the disc drive was a huge shock. I think if I'm being honest with myself, it wouldn't have been such a bitter pill to swallow for me if they revealed the price to be $800 and it included the disc drive.

eerik9000

50% higher than €500 is €750. not €600
I know, perhaps Sony should have thought twice before they discounted PS5 a day after they started taking pre-orders for the Pro. I am using the prices that are valid while Pro can be pre-ordered. In November/December when the Pro is available in stores, the base model is very likely to be discounted again.

Top Bottom