• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Recommendations for a Wii HDMI converter?

Chinbo37

I have a Wii that I was going to sell but then I thought I might want to bring it to my office and hook it up to my work monitor.

My monitor only has hdmi in. I see some different products for getting hdmi from the Wii. Is there any one which you have used and is recommended? Specifically for virtual Console, homebrew and emulation (240p) sources?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
The Sewell adapter is great. I'd avoid basically any of the other dongles. The Neoya Wii2HDMI one is also supposed to be good but it hasn't been available for a while and I think there are a lot of fakes/knock-offs.

It's the go-to option (combined with a low latency monitor) for competitive Melee for good reason.

Chinbo37

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00A8FIQXA/?tag=neogaf0e-20

If you want a more general YPbPr to HDMI adapter. You'll need a Wii component cable.

I already have component cables. Is there a benefit of using this type of adaptor rather than the one that plugs directly in the back of the Wii?

I see that for wii2hdmi and similar products some people said they had issues with virtual Console and I want to be sure I pick the right product for older games and for retroarch and stuff like that.

JimboJones

I got one of those Wii2HDMI things a few years ago, I dunno if mine was a knock off brand or what but while it did work it ended up crushing blacks in the picture which was kind of a shame.

jediyoshi

I already have component cables. Is there a benefit of using this type of adaptor rather than the one that plugs directly in the back of the Wii?

You have Wii component cables?

IOfUog5.jpg

The benefit is a better quality video.

Platy

I know it is way more expensive, but did you considered a WiiU ?

RetroArch is already better, has default HDMI and plays ALL Wii games

shockdude

I'm kinda in the same boat, and I already have component cables with my Wii. Are there any good low-latency component-to-HDMI/DVI converters out there?

I got one of those Wii2HDMI things a few years ago, I dunno if mine was a knock off brand or what but while it did work it ended up crushing blacks in the picture which was kind of a shame.

There's probably a high variance in quality. Mine works perfectly. And I bought it after using a far more expensive component to HDMI adapter (of supposedly good quality) started making video noise.

I'd gamble on a Wii2HDMI since it's the cheaper option, and then just returning it if it's not satisfactory.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member

I see that for wii2hdmi and similar products some people said they had issues with virtual Console and I want to be sure I pick the right product for older games and for retroarch and stuff like that.

You can't use 240p mode with the dongles, since the Wii needs to be set to 480p. That may be the issue you are referring to?

There's probably a high variance in quality. Mine works perfectly. And I bought it after using a far more expensive component to HDMI adapter (of supposedly good quality) started making video noise.

I'd gamble on a Wii2HDMI since it's the cheaper option, and then just returning it if it's not satisfactory.

Going with a cheap Wii2HDMI dongle, avoiding anything that scales would dramatically improve your chances of getting something half-decent. The chances of getting a good one that also does additional image processing is approximately 0%. At best you get lots of input lag. At worst you get lots of input lag and a really shitty picture.

Chinbo37

I know it is way more expensive, but did you considered a WiiU ?

RetroArch is already better, has default HDMI and plays ALL Wii games

I have a Wii u but I play it at home and I have this extra wii sitting around so I was trying to figure a way I could make it work at my office

Chinbo37

You can't use 240p mode with the dongles, since the Wii needs to be set to 480p. That may be the issue you are referring to?

Yes exactly. So if you run retroarch with a system which is outputting at 240p (eg snes) that means there is no picture? Or am I misunderstanding something ?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Yes exactly. So if you run retroarch with a system which is outputting at 240p (eg snes) that means there is no picture? Or am I misunderstanding something ?

I was under the impression that Retroarch did not run at native 240p because only VC games could, but I may be well out of date with my info. And even VC games only run at 240p when forced. But yeah, if software is trying to output in 240p/480i and the hardware is looking for 480p, that would be a conflict that would cause that sort of problem.

It looks like Retroarch runs fine at 480p though, and it's not like you are playing on a CRT anyway so not being able to use a 240p mode (that I'm not even sure exists?) shouldn't be too big of a deal anyway.

Top Bottom