• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption II |OT| Who knew horse testicles had such a crunch?

Okay, I will sound very hyperbolic, but...
I've been a videogame fan since the 90's and this is nothing like I've ever played/seen. I can't find the words to describe it, I feel like a child again for whom videogames were such a mysterious wonder. This is on a whole another level than anything else made before, it even makes Naughty Dog run for its money. I can't believe what Rockstar Games have developed. I feel like I'm playing a game from the future, nextgen material. If this is possible now on these consoles (I'm playing on a base PS4) then I can't imagine what the future holds for us. Graphics, animations, sounds, music, characters, pacing, story, dialogs, shooting mechanics, interactions with the world and the characters, cinematography, everything is just insane. Seriously, if you like videogames then you just have to play (!) this, because this one is for the history books.
I may sound like someone from the marketing team who wants to sell it, but these are really my feelings/thoughts about this game.

P.s.: I don't even like westerns.

My thoughts exactly!!! I hate westerns and feel the same way about this. Closest thing to living in a game

RPGCrazied

Ordered the hard drive and the game. Should get by early next week. Can't wait to play. RDR is one of my fav games on the 360.

RPS37

First Impressions:
THERES SO MUCH WHITE ON THE SCREEN
Trying to hunt right now and I can’t see shit.

Catphish

I could not stop laughing when this happened to me today.
1540596996783992.gif
Yeah I did that, too. 😄

Catphish

Im very impressed with the game. It's an even greater technological marvel than GTAV. I only wish I could play it on my gaming rig with kb/m. I don't find first person view to be practical with thumbsticks for anything other than sight-seeing while standing still.

Will be double-dipping on the PC version for sure. 👍

How is performance on vanilla PS4? I guess I'll check out digital foundry for a detailed answer. I'm keen to be cowboy, but not sure I have the constitution to buy this then have to buy it again on PC later for a superior experience. I can wait.

Edit: 26fps? No. no dude. Not going to happen.

Might borrow my friends game when he's done with it. He has PS4 version. Then buy it a year from now on PC.

Last edited:
I don't like the controls at all. It feels like my body and head move at two entirely different speeds, it sucks. I also don't understand why I should have to push and hold down a button for minutes on end while in cinematic camera during a mission. Just let me enjoy it.

Last edited:

JimmyJones

Banned
Yo, that first chapter was a slooog. Tell me things pick up after that.

I thought the exact same but the game has definitely picked up. Just done the mission with the girls in Valentine and I'm starting to get into it! Time for bed but. :messenger_crying:

YayNJ

Banned
Without posting any spoilers, I'm onto Chapter 2. I know it's not far in, just a slight scratch on the surface, but I have to be honest - I'm not blown away so far by any means. It looks good, but not really 4 or 5 years after GTA 5 good. The sound is stellar. The controls are terrible, fiddly and clunky. The game is also slow. SO SLOW.

Still - Chapter 2 awaits, lets see what happens.

I'm guessing this is a parody of the Witcher 3. I mean, everything is pretty much Witcher so far, except it's just kind if making fun of the Witcher. Which is guess is funny and all. Just so wondering at this point how much more until they maybe shred the parody.

The small ass font, holding down buttons instead of just pressing them, pointless garbage to horde from barrels and corpse s. The best part yet was picking up a letter, unable to read it, select read, then having to squint to read the text, then a voice says "now that's how it's done" .

The long ass rides and that lame sense thing that highlights a trail or whatever.

I feel like the game is just making fun of Witcher 3 since the start.
Just started playing Witcher 3 a week ago and noticed a lot of these similarities also.

Vawn

Banned
Everything seems slow paced. I don't think I like having to constantly micro-manage mundane tasks like eating, sleeping, bathing, etc - and then doing the same for my horse.

I'm still early on, maybe it'll start to feel more natural.

Movement and combat also seems heavy, sluggish.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Hey guys, actually im installing RDR2, But is such much time.

Can i play a game in hard disk and this will still installing?

Armorian

Banned
I died from laughter in saloon drinking mission, it's masterful :messenger_sunglasses: After ~9h I think this game is my GOTG so far, we finally got game better than W3.

Last edited:

WaterAstro

Went to Bestbuy, bought the game, will return this late shipped copy later.

Starting it up.

Funny thing is that 5 people were in front of me for the same reason, because the national post office is on strike, so they're all doing the same thing. All PS4 copies lol.

Turned off aim assist. Dead eye still targets the body to many times and causes me to shoot far to many bullets into it. Is it supposed to do that?

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Everything seems slow paced. I don't think I like having to constantly micro-manage mundane tasks like eating, sleeping, bathing, etc - and then doing the same for my horse.

I'm still early on, maybe it'll start to feel more natural.

Movement and combat also seems heavy, sluggish.

It's easier if you just go with the flow. Don't worry so much about having to do anything unless it actually prevents you from progressing. It's harder if you're trying to do it all because you have the option. The first thing I started to care about was my appearance. It all blends together once you get further into the game.

I thought about the way Arthur pulls his gun out and points it, he doesn't have a rubber/automatic feel to it. Which I guess is why it feels different. It feels like he's carrying the weight of the gun and he's extending his arm to aim. It's very realistic in that his body has to prepare itself for what's ahead or whatever consequence his physical actions have.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Went to Bestbuy, bought the game, will return this late shipped copy later.

Starting it up.

Funny thing is that 5 people were in front of me for the same reason, because the national post office is on strike, so they're all doing the same thing. All PS4 copies lol.
I see what you're doing there ;)

Last edited:

I’m about 16 percent completion now. I have to say. I like Arthur more than John. I swear every time I have been into the saloon has been amazing. You all know the part if you have been there. One of the best sequences in the longest time that I can remember.

I will say. I wish the trigger was punch and not quick shot. I have gotten the law on me a few times just trying to punch.

Also it showed him shooting with a pistol and then quick swapping to a rifle in a trailer. I have gotten him to hold the rifle in one hand and the pistol in the other buy haven’t figured out the firing yet.

Last edited:

JDTR1992

Neo Member
Is there a way to turn off the automatic painting in dead eye? I cant place the shots where i want them too without unloading 20 rounds into the guy...

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
The attention to detail in this game is so, so good. All the little nuances, all the little things, individual tree branches moving when you disturb them, snow falling off the branches, all the animations for the horses, how they get flustered/agitated with danger, THEIR DYNAMIC POOP!

Snow accumulating on your character and horse, then when you enter warm areas it slowly melts off creating a wet sheen before drying. It even melts slower indoors that have no fire or heat than places that do.

Last edited:

evanft

So I'm early on. When does the game actually become enjoyable, cause I'm thinking of dumping this on eBay and going back to Yakuza.

- The movement is so fucking slow.
- Why is the text so tiny?
- I don't like Arthur's voice actor at all
- The controls just feel like there's molasses in everything. Auto aim is pretty much mandatory
- I haven't done a single interesting thing. At all. I've spent most of my time moving slowly and talking to characters I don't give a shit about it.
- Why is every animation so damn slow? Why can't I loot all when I open a cabinet?
- The horse system is stupid. Why can't I just carry all my stuff instead of having to keep it all in my horse? Why can't I just call my horse from anywhere and have him come? It discourages me from getting off my horse and exploring.
- The menus are just clunky and feel like they were designed 5 years ago by someone who hasn't played a game since
- The image quality on the PS4 Pro is fuzzy as hell.

Honestly, this is starting to feel like GTA4. Tons of praise on release, but the game was actually dogshit, especially when compared to other open world games of the time, like Saints Row 2.

camelCase

This game is good. But it is nothing more than good because of how much it cripples itself with all of the boneheaded design decisions that affect the gameplay so much.

Wanna loot something? Ok, wait 6+ seconds (avg 6. can be in the 10 second area) to get your loot, for which you can only get 5 max of.

There is so much unneeded garbage in this game, holy shit. I like it but it could be a lot better if not for the constant shit. The controls are laggy and unresponsive and i often end up not killing the animal i had my reticle on for like 3 seconds because of some stupid restriction (reticle was on horse)

It's good but ... they just fucked up so bad on so many counts. You have to be a hardcore, slimy mouthed fanboy to defend half the crap this game makes you swallow. It's a good game that could be great if not for the the offensive busywork it makes you swallow to get to its good parts. Waiting 6 seconds to loot a creature is stupid, plain and simple.

I shouldn't have to say this but nonetheless I feel obligated; it is a good game. But it is hampered by some legitimately stupid design flaws. IMO it's a 6/7 for me right now.

JDTR1992

Neo Member
Same exact problem! So if you figure it out please let me know
I think we need to level up the deadeye, i was reading the manual and level 2 of dead eye has manual painting of targets!

Also pretty dissapointed there is no liars dice...

EDIT: here
8IrVGO6.jpg

Last edited:

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
I had a feeling the focus on realism would alienate some folks. Personally I'm a sucker for little details like that, but I can understand why it would wear some people down.

Pejo

what are you guys doing with your animal pelts? I just keep stacking them on my horse's ass, but I'm not sure if I should be selling them or keeping them or what.

Also, is there a way to store them in your inventory instead of on your horse? I lost a legendary pelt because I couldn't figure out what to do with it, i set it by the campfire, and it disappeared.

I died from laughter in saloon drinking mission, it's masterful :messenger_sunglasses: After ~9h I think this game is my GOTG so far, we finally got game better than W3.
Same I couldn’t stop laughing lol, but is it just me or anyone else i don’t want anything to happen to my horse lol, when I get into gun fights I leave my horse far away from the fights lol

This game is basically a Western/cowboy/outlaw sim/RPG. And it's almost near perfect. It is a shame that so many people are finding it not to be enjoyable. Guess it's just not their style.

JangoRain

Really want to enjoy this game but I’m having trouble, maybe Gaf can help?

In chapter two and it just seems like there’s so much micromanaging with the camp, bathing, grooming, keeping cores up, hunting, etc. Should I just try to push through the missions until more options open up!?

Top Bottom