• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Refugee rape victim denied abortion and then deported

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't get the title of the thread. It makes it sound like the Australian government denied her an abortion when according to the Sydney Morning Herald she rejected the abortion herself. The title is misleading, if not dishonest.

The Somali refugee who says she was raped on Nauru and asked for an urgent abortion in Australia has been returned to the island, with claims she rejected treatment when it was offered.

Sources have told Fairfax Media the woman was being returned to Nauru on a charter plane, via the Solomon Islands capital Honiara, on Friday afternoon.

Earlier this week she thanked the Australian government for responding to her request but a source told Fairfax Media that when Abyan was taken to her appointment for pre-assessment on Thursday, she refused medical care and no longer wanted the termination.

This is disputed by sources who said she was seeking counselling so that she could make an informed decision before proceeding with the termination.

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-polit...-requested-20151016-gkax08.html#ixzz3ouuJMrR4

I may be misreading this but it seems she is hesitant to abort the rapist's baby? One would think it it would be a pretty straight forward decision.

I don't get the title of the thread. It makes it sound like the Australian government denied her an abortion when according to the Sydney Morning Herald she rejected the abortion herself. The title is misleading, if not dishonest.

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-polit...-requested-20151016-gkax08.html#ixzz3ouuJMrR4

I may be misreading this but it seems she is hesitant to abort the rapist's baby? One would think it it would be a pretty straight forward decision.

Other reports are saying she just wanted to see a therapist before having the abortion.

Here's her official statement anyway:
image.imgtype.articleLeadwide.620x0.png

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-polit...n_code=nocode&promote_channel=social_facebook

Jintor

Isn't the SMH relying on the government official stance? Her advocates say differently and she can't be reached for comment for obvious reasons.

Baki

Fucking hell. Can't believe a "1st world" country has a Fucking rape camp - which makes it illegal to report crimes that occur there.

Is there any way to mount diplomatic pressure to bring these criminals to justice?

JC Sera

If I was going to be very specific and go by the governments definitions, I should have said "alleged rape victim who has been blackmailing the country with her pregnancy"

:T

Yagharek

SMH has a reputation for being dishonest.

Dryk

Fucking hell. Can't believe a "1st world" country has a Fucking rape camp - which makes it illegal to report crimes that occur there.

Is there any way to mount diplomatic pressure to bring these criminals to justice?
With half of Europe furiously masturbating to the idea of doing the same thing? Not a chance :(

Jackpot

Banned

No. Whatever her actions on the abortion the whole point of this debacle was to deny her protection from the courts.

And here is her side:

Abyan had a medical appointment scheduled on Thursday, which she declined to attend, sources have told the Guardian.

The Department of Immigration and Border Protection is understood to have taken her non-attendance as refusing to have the termination.

However, advocates assisting Abyan say this is not true. They say she was only asking for more time to decide, and had asked repeatedly to see a counsellor, a request the Guardian understands, was not granted.

“Our client has not decided to refuse a termination and you have completely misunderstood or misconstrued her position which is as set out in my letter ... of 14 October 2015,” he wrote.

“Our client has the right to counselling before a termination and to understand the procedure, that is all we have been seeking and to represent her position as a refusal is disingenuous and cruel.”

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Seriously though peter Dutton needs a job where he doesn't have to care about people's lives, because he clearly doesn't give a shit about it.

JeanGrey

Its unbelievable. This poor woman has been violated in multiple layers.

She is being raped over and over. Her body was physically attacked,she is forced to carry a reminder of the horrible experience, and is put back to the same situation which caused the first attack putting her back to be raped again or even killed!

How can anyone justify this.

No. Whatever her actions on the abortion the whole point of this debacle was to deny her protection from the courts.

And here is her side:

It is misleading because the government never denied her an abortion. She had a medical appointment which she declined to attend. She pleaded with the government to be allowed to enter Australia to have an abortion and then did not attend the medical appointment.

Since her pregnancy has become known, she had been pleading with Australian authorities for weeks to be brought to Australia to terminate the pregnancy.

She was asking for more time to decide? Decide what? If you plead with the government to enter the country to terminate the pregnancy then you don't ask for more time to decide, you've already made the decision.

Yrael

It is misleading because the government never denied her an abortion. She had a medical appointment which she declined to attend. She pleaded with the government to be allowed to enter Australia to have an abortion and then did not attend the medical appointment.

She was asking for more time to decide? Decide what? If you plead with the government to enter the country to terminate the pregnancy then you don't ask for more time to decide, you've already made the decision.

No, she asked for more counselling and guidance to understand the procedure - which is what every woman seeking an abortion is entitled to.

Seriously though peter Dutton needs a job where he doesn't have to care about people's lives, because he clearly doesn't give a shit about it.

Being the worst immigration minister since "imprisoning a legal Australian resident" Vanstone takes some effort, mate. He clearly gives a shit about that.

I for sure would be freaking out if I was going to have an abortion in a foreign country I had just arrived in, and I couldn't see the lawyer I knew or an interpreter, and a nurse was rushing me into it. Even without all the other factors in play here.

No, she asked for more counselling and guidance to understand the procedure - which is what every woman seeking an abortion is entitled to.

The Guardian is spreading misinformation then because they specifically said:

However, advocates assisting Abyan say this is not true. They say she was only asking for more time to decide, and had asked repeatedly to see a counsellor, a request the Guardian understands, was not granted.

If she was asking for more time to decide it means she hadn't made up her mind. I agree she should have gotten counselling if she had made the decision to terminate.

The government did not deny her an abortion though. I think the government would have been more than happy to assist her having a termination had she decided.

Yrael

If she was asking for more time to decide it means she hadn't made up her mind. I agree she should have gotten counselling if she had made the decision to terminate.

The government did not deny her an abortion though. I think the government would have been more than happy to assist her having a termination had she decided.

Try to put yourself in the woman's shoes - in a foreign country, still suffering trauma from the rape, not knowing any of the ramifications in terms of what the medical procedure might do to her body, etc.

There is no justification for whisking her back to Nauru and the site of her rape in response to a request for more information and counselling in preparation for the procedure.

danm999

My cynical contribution is that the immigration department doesn't want to put her in the hands of a doctor or other empowered medical professionals given the events of last week with the Melbourne hospital where the staff refused to hand back the asylum seeker and her child.

My cynical contribution is that the immigration department doesn't want to put her in the hands of a doctor or other empowered medical professionals given the events of last week with the Melbourne hospital where the staff refused to hand back the asylum seeker and her child.

ah, I'd forgotten about that. That would make a lot of sense.

Baki

With half of Europe furiously masturbating to the idea of doing the same thing? Not a chance :(

Fucking hell. Have we not learned anything since ww2. People are fucking sheep, media continues to print demonising stories (coz fucking profits, cos they don't give a fuck about responsible journalism) and these fucking politicians sleep on their tax paid mansions while their rape camps continue to operate.

Fuck this. Maybe we should start a petition? In the UK, 10,000 signatures gets us a govt response and 100,000 signatures has the topic discussed in parliament?

Baki

... Why is any of this even a discussion point?

.. And aren't you one of those anti-immigrants posters? (if I remember correctly from some other threads)

Fucking hell. Have we not learned anything since ww2. People are fucking sheep, media continues to print demonising stories (coz fucking profits, cos they don't give a fuck about responsible journalism) and these fucking politicians sleep on their tax paid mansions while their rape camps continue to operate.

Fuck this. Maybe we should start a petition? In the UK, 10,000 signatures gets us a govt response and 100,000 signatures has the topic discussed in parliament?

I'd sign it. I'll also write to my local member, although I don't know if it could have any effect.

I'm researching the treatment of Japanese immigrants in Australia in WWII at the moment. The parallels are ridiculous, the language and fear tactics have hardly changed at all. It's really disheartening to see.

Dead Man

Oh for fucks sake. Read a bit more, maybe engage your critical thinking skills a bit. The girl had been off the plane for a few hours, wasn't given any counselling then was taken away again and you think it's the thread title is dishonest? Bullshit.

This.

Look at what Australia does to New Zealand citizens. Heaven help someone from an African or Middle Eastern background.

A guy who has lived here from the age of 2, is in prison when he's 23, gets a deportation order and then kills himself.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-10-...-deportation-of-kiwis-during-nz-visit/6857746

Australians all let us rejoice, apparently. No-one remembers the second verse of the national anthem: For those who've come across the seas, We've boundless plains to share.

Don't worry, we'll take care of them once the Australian govt's done giving a shit about people wanting to make Australia their home.

DrSlek

Her own Lawyer made a statement this morning explaining that she'd not decided against an abortion, but requested time to think. She expected counselling before she made a decision, but was suddenly shipped off back to Nauru.

Dryk

Her own Lawyer made a statement this morning explaining that she'd not decided against an abortion, but requested time to think. She expected counselling before she made a decision, but was suddenly shipped off back to Nauru.
Due process? What are you a communist?

Yagharek

Oh for fucks sake. Read a bit more, maybe engage your critical thinking skills a bit. The girl had been off the plane for a few hours, wasn't given any counselling then was taken away again and you think it's the thread title is dishonest? Bullshit.

He does this in every thread. Don't bother, it's like expecting reasoned arguments on a Bolt blog.

Don't worry, we'll take care of them once the Australian govt's done giving a shit about people wanting to make Australia their home.

New Zealand: being better than Australia since 1840.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle

Who the hell are you to decide whether it should be an easy or hard decision? Have you experienced anything as traumatizing as the experience this woman has suffered through?

Australian government is known and acknowledged by pretty much anyone--anyone sane, anyways--to have treated refugees/immigrants like they're sub-inhuman trash. It's pretty interesting how it seems like you are giving them such a wide berth of benefit of the doubts and even went so far as trying to paint that the faulty one is the woman herself.

This is the normal process of an abortion. You get to speak to a counsellor and/or a medical professional before going through with the procedure. This applies to all persons in most civilized parts of the world. But if you're not a person, I guess it doesn't apply?

Yrael

United Nations issues urgent call for Australia, Nauru to care for 'deeply traumatised' pregnant refugee Abyan

The United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights (UNHCR) has called on authorities in Australia and Nauru to do more to help a pregnant refugee who says she was raped.

The 23-year-old, known as Abyan to protect her identity, was transferred to Australia for an abortion after claiming she was assaulted.

She was subsequently returned to Nauru without undergoing the procedure.

Rupert Colville, a spokesman from the Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR), said the woman required further assistance.

"We call upon Australia and Nauru to urgently provide a decent option for Abyan ... to obtain adequate mental and physical care and to terminate her pregnancy if she desires," Mr Colville said in a statement.

"OHCHR has been in direct contact with her.

"Abyan is in a very fragile mental and physical condition and is deeply traumatised by her experiences since the day of the alleged rape."

He said the UNHRC was concerned at reports police on Nauru had failed to take action against alleged perpetrators of violence against women, and that Abyan was fearful for her safety.

"She has refused to give information to the Nauru police about her attacker because she is understandably afraid of reprisals," Mr Colville said.

"She does not feel safe, given that her alleged attacker lives on Nauru, which is a very small island state with a population of around 10,000."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom