• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remember the Carrier Plant Where Trump Saved Jobs? Guess what happens now..

Oersted

You guessed right

About 1,500 workers at three Indiana factories are facing layoffs despite hopes that President Donald Trump would convince the companies to reverse plans for moving production to Mexico.

United Technologies confirmed Friday that the first wave of about 50 layoffs happened last week at its electronics plant that had about 700 workers in Huntington. The plant in the northeastern Indiana city is slated for closure.

Steps are also being taken toward about 550 job cuts anticipated at a Carrier Corp. factory in Indianapolis, where Trump's intervention last fall curbed job losses but didn't halt them altogether. Layoffs could start within a month at a 350-worker Rexnord industrial bearings factory in Indianapolis, according to United Steelworkers Local 1999 President Chuck Jones, who represents workers at the Carrier and Rexnord plants.

Trump visited the Carrier factory on Dec. 1, touting his role in the decision of parent company United Technologies to reverse about 800 of its some 1,400 planned job cuts at the furnace plant and only partially move operations to Mexico. Trump told a crowd of workers and company officials: "Companies are not going to leave the United States anymore without consequences. It's not going to happen."

Connecticut-based United Technologies and Milwaukee-based Rexnord have since pushed on preparations for the jobs cuts, taking steps such as removing equipment from the Indiana factories without any signs of additional Trump intervention.

"We haven't heard anything at all. With that being said, I have to assume the Rexnord and Carrier situations are both done deals," said Jones, who was chastised by a Trump tweet in early December after complaining that Trump had given false hope to workers by inflating the number of Carrier jobs being kept in Indianapolis.

Rexnord officials didn't reply to requests for comment. Rexnord CEO Todd Adams said in a February conference call with analysts that he didn't see anything from Trump's talk on tariffs and possible foreign trade restrictions to change the company's decision about operating in Mexico.

More here

http://www.nbcchicago.com/news/loca...ctories-despite-trump-pressure-416511193.html

Lock if old

giphy.gif

turtle553

Isn't this just the planned reduction finally starting? Instead of closing the plant completely, they are reducing the workforce and keeping some people.

PSqueak

Banned
¡Oficial mente quiero darle la bienvenida a México a todos esos trabajos que se abrirán aquí!

Trump continues to not deliver promises.

tkscz

The funniest part is they'll all still vote Trump next time.

Considering how fast his numbers are dropping, I highly doubt it. He's a terrible president and was a terrible business man. I already knew he wouldn't keep those jobs and more companies are going to follow suit.

commedieu

Banned
Isn't this just the planned reduction finally starting? Instead of closing the plant completely, they are reducing the workforce and keeping some people.

Nope. Stop. Trump touted this as saving 1800 or so jobs and got kudos from his base, it was regurgitated as a talking point.

The talking point wasn't "they're going to lose all of those jobs. Cheer for me! I'm the deal maker.

I doubt they'll vote for Trump too because he's crashing hard. Normally they would if things were going better, even though Trump would love to kill programs in the labor department that aid people with extended unemployment or pays for their schooling specifically because they lost a job to off/near-shoring.

But hey, democrats to the rescue if we get in power.

My folks were going to replace their AC with one from Carrier to reward them for staying American. What will happen when I show them this? Hopefully something and not nothing.

EDIT: Nope.
My mother said:
Why are you looking for a miracle in 4 months. Obama was never guilty of anything. He had 8 yrs.

This goes to show that even the President can only do so much to influence private corporations when it comes to jobs. In the end, the company is going to do whatever they want to do.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Nope. Stop. Trump touted this as saving 1800 or so jobs and got kudos from his base, it was regurgitated as a talking point.

The talking point wasn't "they're going to lose all of those jobs. Cheer for me! I'm the deal maker.

i thought his "deal" only "saved" like 750 jobs?

Yep. Reply All on NPR did a whole story on this. I hate Trump too, but people enjoy getting into the sound chamber without researching and it just dilutes the arguments against the guy.

I doubt they'll vote for Trump too because he's crashing hard. Normally they would if things were going better, even though Trump would love to kill programs in the labor department that aid people with extended unemployment or pays for their schooling specifically because they lost a job to off/near-shoring.

But hey, democrats to the rescue if we get in power.

Lol. I'm always wondering when folks in this country are going to wake up and figure out that for the most part, we ALL lose in this seemingly neverending Republican vs Democrat horseshit. We need to take a new route but people are too caught up in just shitting on the "other" side, incessantly. Wake up!

Boke1879

Yep. Reply All on NPR did a whole story on this. I hate Trump too, but people enjoy getting into the sound chamber without researching and it just dilutes the arguments against the guy.

No it doesn't. His supporters touted this as saving jobs. None of them said jobs would still be lost. It was a talking point about how he would save jobs.

Yes we all knew jobs would still be lost and the deal effectively meant nothing. It's ok to keep hammering that point home.

It'll be pretty sad when the jobless welfare queens get their government handouts cut by their Republican congressmen. Hope thaat doesn't happen.

Daria

this is similar to DT boasting about Ford saving jobs, investing $1.2b into three Michigan plants and then Ford cuts 10% of non-salary positions

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
No it doesn't. His supporters touted this as saving jobs. None of them said jobs would still be lost. It was a talking point about how he would save jobs.

Yes we all knew jobs would still be lost and the deal effectively meant nothing. It's ok to keep hammering that point home.
Right... but this was all known when it happened. There was still going to be jobs going to Mexico,, but some would stay here. I'm not saying it was some amazing deal by a long shot.. but what's happening here is what we already knew was going to happen when the deal was announced. It's the same point then as it is now.

They're cutting even more than was in the OP

INDIANAPOLIS (AP) - Carrier Corp. is releasing a timeline for eliminating 632 jobs at the company's Indianapolis factory - work that will be outsourced to Mexico.

Company officials said in a letter released Monday that 338 jobs would be cut by July 20. Another 290 will be out of work by Dec. 22.

United Steelworkers Local 1999 Vice President Robert James says it's "cold" to put people out of work just days before Christmas.

President Donald Trump made the plight of 1,400 Carrier workers a major campaign theme. Under pressure from Trump, Carrier announced last November that it would keep some operations in Indianapolis, sparing about 800 workers.

http://www.wthr.com/article/carrier-announces-timeline-for-eliminating-indianapolis-jobs

turnbuckle

The deal didn't mean nothing. Unless I'm mistaken, some jobs that would have been lost will remain. For now, anyways.

Doesn't mean it was a good deal, but let's not use alternative facts to combat his supporters alternative facts. Slam the deal, but let's not feign ignorance that we didn't know many of the jobs would still be lost.

That's more like it. Art of the deal. His supporters will ignore this, of course.

McLovin

Yeah, I don't know why republican voters keep falling for this crap. Giving rich people tax cuts doesn't change their behavior. They just have more money to blow on frivolous shit. Trickle down economics was proven to be bullshit a long ass time ago.

Protein

Banned
Yeah, I don't know why republican voters keep falling for this crap. Giving rich people tax cuts doesn't change their behavior. They just have more money to blow on frivolous shit. Trickle down economics was proven to be bullshit a long ass time ago.

Give more money to corporations and rich people, they'll shower us with higher wages and jobs.

The Gub'mint just wants to give muh taxez to The Blacks™ and Mexicans.

Top Bottom