• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reminder: Reacher season 2 coming out tomorrow (Dec. 15) on Amazon Prime

xrnzaaas

The first season isn't great so if the 2nd season is even worse I won't be back.

I hate how it revolves around ppl making comments about how massive/scary reacher is. Calling hom a gorilla etc. He looks like a slim gq model compared to the powerlifters/bodybuilders I hung with in the early 2000s, and many of those dudes were 6'3 or taller and natural.

If he's on steroids that's just silly. 1 year in the gym at that height and a good base shd be easily achievable with those trainers and nutrition.

Haven't seen season 2 but I hear he's much bigger.
The pilot episode had some good scenes showing off his height and physique. Like the prison cell scene or the shower scene. Personally I'm not a fan of his steroids look from s2. He was believable enough in season 1 and they didn't have to turn him into a walking (and not so much running) tank.

Plus he IS a massive guy when you compare him to Tom Cruise from the Jack Reacher movies. ;)

It's also about not messing with the special investigators and telling Neagley she's smart.
I liked the neagley character the most, she seemed like she was way more skilled at everything than everyone else.
Did the actress say something dumb on social media or something? If these are sarcastic comments I'm confused on why.

Neagley was shoved into the background on multiple occasions over a new love interest for Reacher, including screentime constantly going to each new character being added or introduced every 1-2 episodes. Also, Reacher literally muscles his way out of every scenario including the ones where he's surrounded by armed guards, didn't get hit a single time while a helicopter was shooting directly at him, and survived an explosion almost point blank. The man didn't even have on kevlar.

It wasn't sarcasm.
I guess I feel like she wasn't 'super skilled and the best', but instead she just simply didn't do the 'action hero' thing with most of her decisions like the rest of the main cast unless she was forced into it.

Take the final episode for example. She took the smart option of being a distraction while Reacher infiltrated. It just felt like she was always taking the option of 'what's the best decision I can make where I don't get myself hurt or killed?'

Alx

Neagley was ok, she had many moments to shine being "smart", tech-savvy (even in a bullshit way) or a sharp shooter. Dixon was "good with numbers". O'Donnell was... just there ? I don't remember him doing much.
I'm ok with the general concept of a team of skilled people following a giant Mary-Sue (kind of reminiscent of Doc Savage), the execution is very average but still entertaining enough. Still not sure about the "bunch of psychos" angle they have, especially
after killing in cold blood the prisoners they "released"

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

Did the actress say something dumb on social media or something? If these are sarcastic comments I'm confused on why.

Neagley was shoved into the background on multiple occasions over a new love interest for Reacher, including screentime constantly going to each new character being added or introduced every 1-2 episodes. Also, Reacher literally muscles his way out of every scenario including the ones where he's surrounded by armed guards, didn't get hit a single time while a helicopter was shooting directly at him, and survived an explosion almost point blank. The man didn't even have on kevlar.
So you've seen s2 and you didn't get bored with those two lines? Strange.

They especially went hard with the 'special investigators' bit in the early episodes.

I generally like cool lines to make it feel like the characters like/know each other or to satisfy fans of the show (like Jack Bauer's 'damn it Chloe'), but it feels like they went a bit overboard with them here.

Last edited:
So you've seen s2 and you didn't get bored with those two lines? Strange.
I did, but I also got bored with all of Reacher's catchphrases too(Assumptions kill) being used almost every episode. I also got bored with Reacher doing the 'No' moment with bad guys. I got bored with Dixon having almost zero character development aside from 'I want Reacher in bed'. I got bored with O'Donnell constantly marvel-quipping. I got bored with the detective this season constantly wanting to pick a fight with everyone. I think you see where I'm going with this...
They especially went hard with the 'special investigators' bit in the early episodes.
You're right! The entire season is filled with repeatable catchphrases, typical tropes, weird cuts, and bad writing. That's why I'm saying singling out Neagley as a problem is odd when she's part of an entire season of problems.

In certain ways, season 2 reminded me of a C-tier anime or a CW hero show. That's not a good thing for a live action Amazon exclusive that started out as a near A-tier experience.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Reacher announces book choice for season 3.

It's Persuader.

I think it's a good book (for entertaining pulp fiction, not like actually good), but season 2 barely resembled the book it was based on, so we'll see.
At what point is there an "anti-Reacher" of some sort of evil hulking brute genius for him to fight or a severely crippled "all brain" type villain? Because S2 had rando mooks to be mowed down and Patrick as the MOST INEPT evil "mastermind" in existence. The actual evil terrorist in S2 was woefully underused.

At what point is there an "anti-Reacher" of some sort of evil hulking brute genius for him to fight or a severely crippled "all brain" type villain? Because S2 had rando mooks to be mowed down and Patrick as the MOST INEPT evil "mastermind" in existence. The actual evil terrorist in S2 was woefully underused.
I'm going to summarize the book they're using for season 3 behind spoilers.

Persuader absolutely has that physically. The bad guys have a thug who is 7 foot tall and uses a ton of steroids and is also a speed and meth addict, and of course he hates Reacher on sight. The novel builds to a fight between the two of them, and I'll just say it's a lot more competitive than anything from the tv show so far. But he's also a moron. In the books, Reacher sometimes guesses wrong about what the bad guys are doing, and some of the bad guys have a pretty smart scheme going, but I can't think of a book where there's a Bond-style mastermind at work.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
The first season isn't great so if the 2nd season is even worse I won't be back.

I hate how it revolves around ppl making comments about how massive/scary reacher is. Calling hom a gorilla etc. He looks like a slim gq model compared to the powerlifters/bodybuilders I hung with in the early 2000s, and many of those dudes were 6'3 or taller and natural.

If he's on steroids that's just silly. 1 year in the gym at that height and a good base shd be easily achievable with those trainers and nutrition.

Haven't seen season 2 but I hear he's much bigger.
You really don’t think Alan Richson is a relatively huge dude?

He isn’t super tall but being 240+ pounds of nothing but muscle is pretty damn big. Like being next to DK Metcalf.

Romulus

You really don’t think Alan Richson is a relatively huge dude?

He isn’t super tall but being 240+ pounds of nothing but muscle is pretty damn big. Like being next to DK Metcalf.

I haven't seen season 2, but I don't think so. I think most of these dudes are lying. Arnold said the heaviest he could get to at 6'2 was 245lbs with fat on his body and he was crazy massive and dense. Dude had concrete slabs for muscle. 240lbs and lean is just insane to pull off. There's videos of fitness dudes/athletes claiming to weigh a certain amount and they pull out a weight scale and they're always lying. They weigh less. I'd guess Ritchson was 225lbs in season 1 if he's 6'4. Not small or tiny of course but people in the show act like he's some 300lbs monster. I'm nearly 270lbs(not lean) at 6'5 and I see people that dwarf me and no one cares. Relatively small town.

223981-arnold.jpg

Last edited:
Arnold's bicep-to-waist ratio was truly insane. I rewatched Conan the Destroyer for the 1000th time this week and was still gawking, and that was filmed after he'd really quit serious bodybuilding.

It's like they're trying to stay as far away as they can from what made season 1 good. Either they got very lucky with season one or the Hollywood exec morons have taken over the show
Can't wait for the scene where 5 Paulies roll up on Reacher and Neagley in a parking lot.

(ps, they also announced that Neagley is back for season 3)

Edit: I went back and rewatched that parking lot brawl vs the biker gang, and the editing is even worse than I realized on first watch. It's baffling how bad it is.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
Arnold's bicep-to-waist ratio was truly insane. I rewatched Conan the Destroyer for the 1000th time this week and was still gawking, and that was filmed after he'd really quit serious bodybuilding.
I think a lot of the "Training supplementation" these days gives that thick waist look. The 'roids of the past didn't do it. I thought Zane took the wasp waist "ab vacuum" look too far,
IO9SJaQ.jpg

but aesthetically Arnie, Franco, and others of his era had it nailed imho.

7IcCXQj.jpg

But of course I think multiple surveys show women prefer the svelte look

7HbGYob.jpg

but fuck 'em, GO GET PUMPED!!!!

Wo else used to carry this monster with them to the gym??

qQhruM5.jpg

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
I haven't seen season 2, but I don't think so. I think most of these dudes are lying. Arnold said the heaviest he could get to at 6'2 was 245lbs with fat on his body and he was crazy massive and dense. Dude had concrete slabs for muscle. 240lbs and lean is just insane to pull off. There's videos of fitness dudes/athletes claiming to weigh a certain amount and they pull out a weight scale and they're always lying. They weigh less. I'd guess Ritchson was 225lbs in season 1 if he's 6'4. Not small or tiny of course but people in the show act like he's some 300lbs monster. I'm nearly 270lbs(not lean) at 6'5 and I see people that dwarf me and no one cares. Relatively small town.

223981-arnold.jpg
Could be BS sure. Dude still looks plenty big to me to be intimidating in person.

His chest is particularly big, his upper body in general which is going to make him look big in clothing.

IMG_0940.png

I dunno in a show with plenty to criticize this guy being called a gorilla seems pretty low on the list lol

Romulus

Could be BS sure. Dude still looks plenty big to me to be intimidating in person.

His chest is particularly big, his upper body in general which is going to make him look big in clothing.

IMG_0940.png

I dunno in a show with plenty to criticize this guy being called a gorilla seems pretty low on the list lol

Yeah he's definitely bigger there. Must be season 2. I wasn't just talking about that one gorilla comment. There's just this constant dialogue with every new character that continues about how massive/scary he is. It's not a huge deal of course but as a guy who's been large half my life, no one actually cares that much. Ok you're tall/big. Great.

I think a lot of the "Training supplementation" these days gives that thick waist look. The 'roids of the past didn't do it. I thought Zane took the wasp waist "ab vacuum" look too far,
IO9SJaQ.jpg

but aesthetically Arnie, Franco, and others of his era had it nailed imho.

7IcCXQj.jpg

But of course I think multiple surveys show women prefer the svelte look

7HbGYob.jpg

but fuck 'em, GO GET PUMPED!!!!

Wo else used to carry this monster with them to the gym??

qQhruM5.jpg
Modern BB'ing has gotten to the point where Arnold himself has called it out: It should be about crafting the aesthetically ideal physique, not getting as big as possible.

Also want to take this opportunity to shout out my boy Holt McCallany of Fight Club. Great actor who's never gotten enough credit. Iron Claw deserved some Oscar recognition!

Geomancer86

Last episode seemed very rushed, they wrapped up the main story in 15-20 minutes and then it delved into a very bad epilogue/feel good/woke-ish arc... for an "action" tv show you cannot have 66% of your show be a soap opera.

Not going to come back to 3rd season unless it's epic compared to this one.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Last episode seemed very rushed, they wrapped up the main story in 15-20 minutes and then it delved into a very bad epilogue/feel good/woke-ish arc... for an "action" tv show you cannot have 66% of your show be a soap opera.

Not going to come back to 3rd season unless it's epic compared to this one.
Yeah, for all the back and forth running in place they did for the middle part of this season, seeing 2 "do not mess with the Special Investigators" get caught off camera and then just turn into passive dolls for Reacher to rescue seemed odd. And a "I hope I get handcuffed where I can reach my shoe" plan seems.......optimistic at best. Would have been better if he had those nails stashed all over OR they had foreshadowed that this was a talent he had instead of a deux ex machina escape tactic.

I also gotta wonder what a HAMMER BLOW to Dixon's self-esteem having Reacher do a "hit it and quit it" musta been. Guy can't even take a week vaca before lumbering away? :p

Top Bottom