• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remote Play Thread: Play PS4 games on Vita/VitaTV via WiFi at home or away

So what are you guys doing for games that need the L2/R2 buttons? It's like almost all of them. Are you remapping controls? For example, Madden needs R2 for sprinting.

stang6604

i posted earlier that my audio was screwed up during remote play. unchecked the wifi power save option and works perfect now. Thanks GAF!

My Vita will not sign into PSN. I'm using my Samsung Galaxy nexus as a hot spot (Verizon) when I run the internet connection test PSN sign in fails any help?

Talax

5mbit upload speed is reported to be enough, PS4 needs to be either turned on or in standby mode, and your router needs to have few ports opened up.
http://manuals.playstation.net/document/en/psvita/ps4link/viainternet.html

Its also recommended to use LAN cable for PS4 internet connection.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3Pj4PyJgnA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOJ5IZ3-rEw

Holy crap it works pretty good, the first vid had only around 6mb up and down, yet it was smooth. I think it's safe to say that approximately 6-8 connection from both sides is adequate.

Thanks for the vids.

So what are you guys doing for games that need the L2/R2 buttons? It's like almost all of them. Are you remapping controls? For example, Madden needs R2 for sprinting.

I can't find how to remap the buttons while using remote play. I even searched online, anyone have any idea how I can remap the back touchpad? Right now it is not acting the way it should with the default L2 being upper left and R2 being upper right.

I have a similar setup and unchecking the "connect to PS4 directly" box greatly improved my performance. The direct connector is only good if you're in the same room as the PS4. If you're not then it's best to just connect through your wireless network. I just played an hour of NFS Rivals in bed with only a couple of hiccups. Love it!

OH MY GOD. It works!! Thanks, brother. I don't know how that makes it work better?

That being said-the performance worked great-but it was near impossible for me to play Battlefield 4 on it. Too bad I can't connect a DualShock to the Vita. R1 and L1 are mapped to the rear touch pad, and you can't click the stick to sprint....really tough to handle. Maybe a less complex game would be ideal.

Darknight

Is it ever gonna be possibly to remote play but with a different account being on Vita?

I see it works this way: You have Account #1 on Vita and PS4. Now let say I have a secondary account on PS4, #2. If I want to remote play with #2, I have to remove #1 from Vita and then add #2 to Vita.

Why cant I just remote play #2 while vita just "streams" it? I really hope this gets patched in. I remember PSP used to work this way on PS3<->PSP remote play as PSP just would stream the PS3's output. Thats how I wanted VITA<->PS4 to work. Sadly the same accounts have to be linked for this to work this time. This way a multi person PS4 household could remote play with only 1 Vita. It can be done but you need the Vita to be constantly be switched to the alt account and back between users. Bummer.

Darkone

Few questions for you guys who are remote playing:

1. Does it really noticeable of the downgrade graphics because of remote play?
2. If my friend overseas have a Vita can he connect to my PS4 or do i need to register his Vita First and if so can it be done with overseas?
3. How many PS Vita`s can be registered and be used at the same time?

Thanks

SharkJAW

2. If my friend overseas have a Vita can he connect to my PS4 or do i need to register his Vita First and if so can it be done with overseas?

Thanks

1. The experience is essentially the same, just lower resolution (Vita screen is 544p) and 30fps
2. This should be possible but the vita has to be registered first and I believe the PSN account must be the same, but I'm not sure
3. According to Yoshida, 4 Vitas can be registered to a PS4 simultaneously, iirc

BigDug13

Holy crap it works pretty good, the first vid had only around 6mb up and down, yet it was smooth. I think it's safe to say that approximately 6-8 connection from both sides is adequate.

Thanks for the vids.

It's not the bandwidth, it's the latency. If someone has Hughes Net even with a 100mb connection, it's still going to be garbage for remote play because of the latency in the delivery.

6mb might become a problem on the throughout side if they enable 60fps. They just need to add options for the player to choose 30 or 60 based on their connection speed.

DieH@rd

Banned

Thanks

1. lower rez, but OLED is glorious, and pixel density is higher
2. ping him, maybe it will be too laggy. Vita pairing process needs to be in local wifi network :-/

Zoe

Just got done playing through Resogun (on easy :lol) with 7Mbps down/1Mbps up, 31 ms ping. Things got blocky a couple of times, but otherwise quite impressive.

I can't find the post now, but someone posted earlier about the Vita sleeping while in session either by timeout or set manually. What's the deal there? Which will maintain the connection?

Sky Chief

Hey, I am loving remote play but not the ergonomics of playing PS4 games on my Vita. What is a good grip to get? The Nyko Power Grip looks good, has anyone tried it?

WoolyNinja

This remote play is THE killer app. I'm surprised this isn't being talked about much by game reviewers. This is so good! The games play near flawlessly. I have the PS4 hooked up using Wifi, and the remote play has very little to no noticible lag!

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Just got done playing through Resogun (on easy :lol) with 7Mbps down/1Mbps up, 31 ms ping. Things got blocky a couple of times, but otherwise quite impressive.

I can't find the post now, but someone posted earlier about the Vita sleeping while in session either by timeout or set manually. What's the deal there? Which will maintain the connection?
Yes. It did for me.

RaikuHebi

Banned
Man this is gonna so good for so many scenarios. For instance going round a friend's house and being able to show them your PS4 by hooking up the Vita TV.

I think this is going to get me to go all digital.

Eusis

Meanwhile mine is full of stutters and glitches in the next room with a high end router. Nice :(
I tried checking on signal strength and all with an Android app on my Nexus 7, and it seems I can't get strong strength in this area period, too many wi-fi routers and whatnot in the area it seems. Disappointing, it actually performs nicely but hitches too often even when sitting right in front of the system using direct connection.

Weirdest results for me...

PS4 is connected to router vita hardline...
Direct wifi regardless of where I am in relation to the PS4 is 90% unplayable. The screen is basically a pixelated art show.

Turn off direct wifi.... I can play literally anywhere in my apartment almost flawlessly.

asdad123

I can't get this to work out of the house. I tried with the ps4 via WiFi and now with a plan cable. The PS4 is on stand by mode and has the "allow network to turn on console" checked off.

The vita will not find the PS4 when its not on the same network. Any ideas?

AustinFelix

Unconfirmed Member
Hmmm, pretty sure it's already been mentioned but vita tv sounds awesome for remote play. I'd get one for upstairs TV most likely but now I'm getting ps4 I'm moving my ps3 upstairs.... Surely Sony will be bringing the ps4 link app out for the ps3 ....... Right???

i just realized this is possible on vita tv as well. so that means i can buy a vita tv a ps4 and if i want to play ps4 games at my friends house i can just plug in the vita tv and im good to go (full resolution and all)?

thats awesome!

i just realized this is possible on vita tv as well. so that means i can buy a vita tv a ps4 and if i want to play ps4 games at my friends house i can just plug in the vita tv and im good to go (full resolution and all)?

thats awesome!
I think remote play is limited to 720p on Vita TV but hey, that's still pretty dope.

RaikuHebi

Banned
I think remote play is limited to 720p on Vita TV but hey, that's still pretty dope.
Indeed. I have a 32 inch 720p in my room and a 55 inch 1080p downstairs, so having a Vita TV in my room would be no different to having the PS4 itself there. No need to lug the PS3 up and down when my parents want to watch TV.

Hope it can do the full 1080p in the future though.

I don't even have a PS4 yet but I'm salivating over the Vita TV lol.

wait a minute, are you telling me I could be at work and could use the vita to play my ps4 games that are at my home some 20 minutes away?

Snakeyes

wait a minute, are you telling me I could be at work and could use the vita to play my ps4 games that are at my home some 20 minutes away?
Yup.

Sony should really start pushing RP's possibilities. I'm surprised at the amount of people who don't know this.

Is it ever gonna be possibly to remote play but with a different account being on Vita?

I see it works this way: You have Account #1 on Vita and PS4. Now let say I have a secondary account on PS4, #2. If I want to remote play with #2, I have to remove #1 from Vita and then add #2 to Vita.

Why cant I just remote play #2 while vita just "streams" it? I really hope this gets patched in. I remember PSP used to work this way on PS3<->PSP remote play as PSP just would stream the PS3's output. Thats how I wanted VITA<->PS4 to work. Sadly the same accounts have to be linked for this to work this time. This way a multi person PS4 household could remote play with only 1 Vita. It can be done but you need the Vita to be constantly be switched to the alt account and back between users. Bummer.

I would like to know this too. Can I use remote play with a different account logged into my Vita to the PS4?

blackflag

Yep, I did it with assassins creed and resign yesterday when I was out visiting my parents. My dad is a network engineer and was pretty amazed by how well it worked.

If I set the PS4 and Vita to connect directly in the PS4's RemotePlay settings will my Vita still be able to connect to my PS4 over external wifi, or does that option limit it to ad-hoc only?

Also, I can't seem to turn on the PS4 from standby with the Vita. My Vita will connect, but it will be stuck at "Turning on the PlayStation 4" forever.

I will try this out over LTE in Tokyo later. According to speed test my home connection has more than 50Mb upload and 25ms to the server so I'm hoping for the best!

Top Bottom