• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remote Play Thread: Play PS4 games on Vita/VitaTV via WiFi at home or away

dubq

I just played some DCUO via Remote Play. Fucking amazing. I'm so beyond thrilled that they have this working!

Josman

Can we asume this is how the VR headset will work? I tried Knack at a friends house and it was great, this would avoid using HDMI cables

I can't find how to remap the buttons while using remote play. I even searched online, anyone have any idea how I can remap the back touchpad? Right now it is not acting the way it should with the default L2 being upper left and R2 being upper right.

I'd like to play a bit of Madden with Remote Play while watching other programming. How does the Vita map to all the keys used by Madden PS4?

I'm not asking you, I'm hoping someone here can offer a suggestion for how to set this up as most of my games use both sets of shoulder buttons.

RoKKeR

I'm sure this has been answered but you CAN'T for example, play a PS4 on the other side of the country through your Vita, correct?

I gave Resogun a shot while watching SNF and it was pretty bad. I have so much stuff connected to my wireless router though that the bandwidth is most likely terrible.

I'm probably going to have to try to get my PS4 and Vita in their own router or something if I really want to do this regularly.

Uhyve

So, my brother has a Vita and I'm loving the idea of playing FFXIV without hogging the TV or PC. But from my understanding, the Vita will only allow you to use remote play on the account currently on the Vita correct?

So my question is, can I buy a tiny memory card for the Vita and put my account on that? If so, is it going to be an annoying hassle? I mean, I could technically afford to buy my own Vita, but it seems super wasteful when we already own one.

Can we asume this is how the VR headset will work? I tried Knack at a friends house and it was great, this would avoid using HDMI cables
I remember Carmack saying that VR needs to be incredibly low latency in order to maintain the illusion of a virtual reality, so probably not, though I love the idea of not needing wires. Maybe they could use wireless HDMI, that's a thing right?

Skyzard

Banned
So, my brother has a Vita and I'm loving the idea of playing FFXIV without hogging the TV or PC. But from my understanding, the Vita will only allow you to use remote play on the account currently on the Vita correct?

So my question is, can I buy a tiny memory card for the Vita and put my account on that? If so, is it going to be an annoying hassle? I mean, I could technically afford to buy my own Vita, but it seems super wasteful when we already own one.

Eh you know, I'd get a second hand one or something - it's not too much effort but enough that it's a big inconvenience. You need to reset the system each time you change users (if you have another memory card, you won't have to reset that (only rebuild database) but it's still not convenient resetting the vita (takes about 5 minutes and you need to watch the intro video again IIRC - unless they changed it recently). You also lose game icon arrangement somewhat.

Uhyve

Eh you know, I'd get a second hand one or something - it's not too much effort but enough that it's a big inconvenience. You need to reset the system each time you change users (if you have another memory card, you won't have to reset that (only rebuild database) but it's still not convenient resetting the vita (takes about 5 minutes and you need to watch the intro video again IIRC - unless they changed it recently). You also lose game icon arrangement somewhat.
Hmmm, I was considering that, I have a pretty good disposable income at the moment, so I could technically do that. Having a hard time justifying the expense to the stupid semi-responsible adult part of my brain. I've got the feeling that when I test it with my brothers Vita, I'm instantly going to silence that part of my brain though.

Peterthumpa

So, I'm watching an HD video from YouTube on my Vita from a direct capture feed of Need For Speed Rivals running on the PS4. Looks good but YouTube compression is noticeable. Should I expect the same image quality from direct Remote Play or is it better IQ wise?

Watching SNF while I play PS4s Resogun on my Vita.
Its too much!
tumblr_lyaoenoRUh1qii6tmo1_500.gif

Played some Knack via remote play the last couple days. Minimal lag, but some very noticeable screen tearing, and a persistent stutter (example) that bugs the hell out of me. Connect Directly, less than 10 feet from the PS4.

Still works enough to be acceptable when the TV is otherwise occupied. Ass Flag as well. So far Resogun is the only one that I can't stand on RP, the slight lag being inherently more annoying in a twitchy game and the compression just not playing well with the game's visuals.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Played some Knack via remote play the last couple days. Minimal lag, but some very noticeable screen tearing, and a persistent stutter (example) that bugs the hell out of me. Connect Directly, less than 10 feet from the PS4.

Still works enough to be acceptable when the TV is otherwise occupied. Ass Flag as well. So far Resogun is the only one that I can't stand on RP, the slight lag being inherently more annoying in a twitchy game and the compression just not playing well with the game's visuals.
Probably has more to do with that game.

Every game I've tried has run near flawlessly even while 25ft or more away.

NateDrake

Tried some Resogun earlier today. Had some bad drops in performance almost to the point of freezing. May use the feature here and there for select things.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Tried some Resogun earlier today. Had some bad drops in performance almost to the point of freezing. May use the feature here and there for select things.

I have had no freezes or hitches in any games. Maybe it has to do with quality of router or something but using direct connection there has been almost no issues for me.

NateDrake

I have had no freezes or hitches in any games. Maybe it has to do with quality of router or something but using direct connection there has been almost no issues for me.

I did Remote Play direct with the PS4 - was sitting 8ft away from the system. Maybe it was due to playing on Vet. level difficulty and the frame-rate was dropping. Too much was happening on screen or something.

Bastion

I find that sometimes RP works very well, sometimes it is very choppy and sometimes it boots me off saying that the Vita' s connection might be too slow. What would cause this issue?

My PSP was always able to connect to my PS3 as was the Vita but now can't connect to the PS4 at least 50% of the time.

ZenTzen

I find that sometimes RP works very well, sometimes it is very choppy and sometimes it boots me off saying that the Vita' s connection might be too slow. What would cause this issue?

My PSP was always able to connect to my PS3 as was the Vita but now can't connect to the PS4 at least 50% of the time.

did you uncheck the save power for wifi on the vita, it can be that

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
It annoys me to no end that the vita does not have a second set of trigger. The back touch pad as a replacement is terrible.

Girlfriend has been sick in bed so I've been playing Battlefield and Ass Creed via remote play next to her. Must say I'm pretty impressed by the performance.

I just don't get why there is constantly disconnect issues when I'm doing a direct connection from 7 feet away from the PS4 and nothing in between the Vita and the PS4. It's super annoying. I've turned the wifi power save off on the Vita and it almost seems like its worse now. Right now RP is a dud for me and just unusable since it's so unreliable. Nintendo's implementation is like a thousand times better than what Sony did.

I just don't get why there is constantly disconnect issues when I'm doing a direct connection from 7 feet away from the PS4 and nothing in between the Vita and the PS4. It's super annoying. I've turned the wifi power save off on the Vita and it almost seems like its worse now. Right now RP is a dud for me and just unusable since it's so unreliable. Nintendo's implementation is like a thousand times better than what Sony did.

Try doing what I did and in your PS4 deselect the "connect directly" option. I have no idea why but it was the difference between night and day.

banjo5150

I think you maybe on to something.Remote play has been fantastic for me, but I am using a $200+ Asus router. Everything has been great and my PS4 is using a Ethernet connection. I was really enjoying Resogun whike the wife was watching her shows this evening.

Skyzard

Banned
Hmmm, I was considering that, I have a pretty good disposable income at the moment, so I could technically do that. Having a hard time justifying the expense to the stupid semi-responsible adult part of my brain. I've got the feeling that when I test it with my brothers Vita, I'm instantly going to silence that part of my brain though.

I can imagine! I guess it also depends on how much your brother plays his Vita games...Maybe it'd be worth using only one of the two accounts, unlikely I know.

If you stick through the switching process, you may get used to it and don't see it as a big deal but yeah it's not a great way to enjoy fast stuff like the vita and PS4, especially for the first few times.

Another Vita wouldn't be the worst though :)

Heh, I just noticed something cool. The PS4 supports HDMI device control so if your setup has the spec the PS4 will switch your inputs for you automatically when you switch it on with the DS4.

But if you turn on the PS4 using Remote Play it disables this feature. That way you don't drive your family crazy by changing all the inputs on your home theater system every time you want some remote Resogun :)

Skyzard

Banned
Does the powe save mode on vita have to be unchecked to get better performance/image quality?

I don't think it has to (that would be dumb if so - that it doesn't automatically turn off during remote play) but I don't have a PS4 to test.

But if you are a significant distance from the router/PS4 (less than max signal on the wifi signal/bars) it may be worth turning it off to get the full power.

I've read a few posts saying it has helped but I can imagine if it won't for everyone (if their PS4 is further from the router or the vita, depending on if it's a direct connection or not, or if it's not plugged in via hard cable (powerline adapters are convenient for this), or if their router is bad/in-use a lot).

Just finished my first ever remote play session and I'm blown away man, AC4 on Vita was amazingly smooth and the controls worked great.

Strangely, the range was much better when "Connect directly with Vita" was unchecked. I initially had it checked and the game would start to stutter when I walked to the back of the house. After I unchecked it the game ran great from everywhere in the house.

This is some next gen shit man. System selling feature confirmed.

Baliis

Played the last two chapters of killzone remotely last night, worked really well. No noticeable lag and the visuals looked great, except for some unreadably small text.

I have a few questions regarding remote play. Has anybody tried it over great distances? For example im located in New Mexico but will be going to California at the end of December, has anyone tried it across state lines to see how bad the lag/latency is?

Also, for remote play if you bought the disc version of a game, is it possible to completely install the game that way you can change games in remote play without being able to change the disc in the PS4? If not im going to take some of the games i bought that are still in packaging back and just buy them digitally.

Last but not least, has anybody attempted a COD online multiplayer match while using remote play? My guess is it would be impossibly laggy

I have a few questions regarding remote play. Has anybody tried it over great distances? For example im located in New Mexico but will be going to California at the end of December, has anyone tried it across state lines to see how bad the lag/latency is?

Also, for remote play if you bought the disc version of a game, is it possible to completely install the game that way you can change games in remote play without being able to change the disc in the PS4? If not im going to take some of the games i bought that are still in packaging back and just buy them digitally.

Last but not least, has anybody attempted a COD online multiplayer match while using remote play? My guess is it would be impossibly laggy

This! I want some cod or bf4 pros to play some multi on the vita and yes I get the whole it's not 60fps but nevertheless I want some impressions =]

Eusis

I have a similar setup and unchecking the "connect to PS4 directly" box greatly improved my performance. The direct connector is only good if you're in the same room as the PS4. If you're not then it's best to just connect through your wireless network. I just played an hour of NFS Rivals in bed with only a couple of hiccups. Love it!
Huh, I looked over the thread again, spotted this, and tried it. There's a little bit of lag that wasn't there before, but the picture never breaks up now and at least for casual Resogun play it's working great now.

For reference my router's a WNDR3700v2 and there's a bunch of wireless stuff in the home, and what seems to be the wireless of multiple neighbors showing up. I suspect Direct Connection's best in a remote place with only one router, else it's better to consolidate it to the router and clear up some of the signal noise (I noticed Channel 1 became stronger afterwards.)

EDIT: Also worth pointing out actually that I can't tell if there is input lag to the system itself, just output video lag, so I do imagine that for Wii U style second screen gaming this will work fantastic, you don't really need immediate response time when navigating a menu or managing inventory unless maybe it's the heat of battle, we've likely had worse input lag just with 8-bit RPGs.

Idk if it's my tv display or what but knack looked visually better on my vita :))

Could be that OLED screen at work?

I can't wait to get my PS4, remote play is one of the reasons I decided to jump in and buy a Vita earlier this year (bought it for the RP, was pleasantly surprised at the quality of the games).

Is anyone else considering going all digital because of remote play? I love this feature and want access to all my games without having to swap discs.

pottuvoi

Banned
Can I watch Blu-rays and DVDs with a remote play?
Just got the Hobbit EE and it would be perfect way to watch appendices. :)

Zoe

Just finished my first ever remote play session and I'm blown away man, AC4 on Vita was amazingly smooth and the controls worked great.

Strangely, the range was much better when "Connect directly with Vita" was unchecked. I initially had it checked and the game would start to stutter when I walked to the back of the house. After I unchecked it the game ran great from everywhere in the house.

This is some next gen shit man. System selling feature confirmed.

It's really not so strange. It has the hierarchy of direct > WAN > internet, so a weak direct connection will still trump a strong local router connection.

Top Bottom