• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remote Play Thread: Play PS4 games on Vita/VitaTV via WiFi at home or away

RaikuHebi

Banned
Ahh. There is still hope for remote play gaming upstairs for me then!
Definitely.

I should rephrase my post as well. The direct connect is weaker in range, but faster in speed. Though the speed difference isn't enough to make a considerable difference anyway.

Definitely.

I should rephrase my post as well. The direct connect is weaker in range, but faster in speed. Though the speed difference isn't enough to make a considerable difference anyway.
Thanks.

Yeah definitely gonna try this out again later tonight when i get home

Just played contrast via rp in my bedroom. About 30 ft away from the console and 10 from the router.

Was flawless. I was actually really surprised. Can't wait for the first true RPG!

dyergram

Can you turn on the ps4 via remote play or do you have to leave it on if you're planning on connecting while away from home?

Mrcapcom

So everyone is saying I should check off the box in the remote play option? I think it says like use ps4 wifi or something.

And opening those ports only work outside ur home network or do they help inside? I have a bunch of AP's on my network mostly with ddwrt on it so i can set those options

Kobiekun

I took the advice of many in this thread and disabled direct connection. The difference in range is night and day with little to no drop in the quality of the experience.

ckohler

I am so envious of you all and your working Remote Play. I've pretty much given up trying to get it to work for now.

I've tried every conceivable configuration of wired/wireless, direct/indirect, router wifi channels, etc. I simply can't get Remote Play to work for me for more than a couple of seconds.

I literally turned off nearly every device in my apartment aside from the PS4, TV, the wifi-router and the cable modem. I start up Killzone and can play for about 15 seconds but the moment I look around the sound cuts out terribly, things lag and eventually the video goes to shit before eventually disconnecting. I can be using "Direct Connection" and be sitting six inches from the PS4 and IT STILL HAPPENS! :(

Since the PS4 accepts controls via microphone, does this feature work when remote playing using the VIta integrated microphone? If not, I'm sure as heck going to Tweet @yosp about it lol

Are both Vita's equal in terms or remote play quality? I asked Yosp and he said "All Vitas work well" I assume he means no difference.

Thanks

Skilletor

Remote play has worked really well for me, but then last night I was having connectivity issues. Nothing changed in my setup, but I kept disconnecting from the ps4, and when it was working, it was all macro-blocky and stuttering. :/

Really disappointing. Have no idea what changed, since, well, nothing had changed in my setup.

sajj316

I am so envious of you all and your working Remote Play. I've pretty much given up trying to get it to work for now.

I've tried every conceivable configuration of wired/wireless, direct/indirect, router wifi channels, etc. I simply can't get Remote Play to work for me for more than a couple of seconds.

I literally turned off nearly every device in my apartment aside from the PS4, TV, the wifi-router and the cable modem. I start up Killzone and can play for about 15 seconds but the moment I look around the sound cuts out terribly, things lag and eventually the video goes to shit before eventually disconnecting. I can be using "Direct Connection" and be sitting six inches from the PS4 and IT STILL HAPPENS! :(

I can't remember the Vita screen .. but how do you know if you are using Direct Connection vs. WIFI? My PS4 is plugged in direct and had some issues getting it to register my device (during setup).

EDIT: I guess as long as you check "Connect Directly With PS Vita" ..

https://support.us.playstation.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5065

What is the method of connectivity if Direct with PS Vita? Maybe figuring that out will help with your troubleshooting.

Zoe

So everyone is saying I should check off the box in the remote play option? I think it says like use ps4 wifi or something.

And opening those ports only work outside ur home network or do they help inside? I have a bunch of AP's on my network mostly with ddwrt on it so i can set those options

It really depends on your physical setup. Uncheck the box if you want to use your wireless network.

As for port forwarding, I don't know if it's the router (with ddwrt) or the PS4, but port forwarding did nothing for us. The only setting that mattered was UPnP.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
beat the last 1.5 acts of Contrast over remote play. was a little different to get used to controlling the game with the Vita instead of the DS4... but once I got that down the experience was really flawless.

Mrcapcom

It really depends on your physical setup. Uncheck the box if you want to use your wireless network.

As for port forwarding, I don't know if it's the router (with ddwrt) or the PS4, but port forwarding did nothing for us. The only setting that mattered was UPnP.

Mines was already unchecked and so im thinking I should check it to see what it was like.
I tried resogun and it was ok but it seemed slightly slow and when I went up stairs it was having some issues.

It could be my setup, I have some AP's around to extend my wifi and maybe one of them was having issues or w/e. My PS4 is also wired.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4

Do you know anyone with a PS4 or another Vita so you can test out if it's a hardware related issue.

Can you take your PS4 to a Sony store. You should be able to test your Vita on their PS4 etc...

It doesn't work nearly as well as wii u for me in my setup (maybe because my ps4 isn't on a wired connection) but it is still a nice feature to have.

Edit I have it set to direct connection. Does that mean it doesn't use the wifi network? It's still choppy :/

ckohler

Do you know anyone with a PS4 or another Vita so you can test out if it's a hardware related issue.

Can you take your PS4 to a Sony store. You should be able to test your Vita on their PS4 etc...

My friend brought over his Vita and had the same experience. So, I've ruled out the Vita as being the problem. It's either my PS4 or the wireless environment in my apartment. :/

It doesn't work nearly as well as wii u for me in my setup (maybe because my ps4 isn't on a wired connection) but it is still a nice feature to have.

Edit I have it set to direct connection. Does that mean it doesn't use the wifi network? It's still choppy :/

It isn't using the Wi-Fi router for the Vita connection, but it's sharing the Wi-Fi card in the PS4 between the connection to the Vita and the PS4's connection to the internet. they recommend you have your PS4 wired for that very reason.

I tried to do remote play via the internet today for the first time, but no dice. I'll look into whatever ports or what have you might be causing the issue. It's slightly weird however, because it 'just worked' when I used the vita to connect to my PS3.

At least, the connecting part did. The actual experience was terrible once connected.

plainr_

Haven't been on GAF too much since I got my PS4 but can someone confirm Vita TV works with Remote Play with US PS4's.

I want to order one asap.

I'm at an STS using Wi-Fi and I can't seem to find the ps4. remote play worked great at home over Wi-Fi but now it won't work and the ps4 is turned on.

Tested my Vita at work today:

~7 miles from my house.

I have FIOS Quantum at home with their Wireless N Gigabit router and get about 80-100 down and 30-50 up depending on the test. Router has uPnP enabled by default. So didn't change anything from the default.

Played over visitor wifi at work. The closest access point is down the hallway but my signal on the vita gives me two bars. Speed test from here (using iphone on same network) was above 10 down. Couldnt get any speed tests to work on the Vita browser. I also disabled the wifi network power saving option on the vita (thanks GAF!)

It took quite a while to connect, but this was the first time connecting over the internet. It worked amazingly well. I played NFS and Resogun and they were very fun and playable. COD worked too. The latency and screen quality were amazing. This is truly next gen. Because this works so well I have decided to go fully digital for all my games going forward on PS4. Ironically Ill stay disc based for my XboxOne. Its yet another reason to buy all my multiplatform games on PS4 though. I am so excited right now. Cant wait to try this at my parents house where I spend alot of time.

_Ryo_

Okay, can settle this once and for all.

Can you do remote play directly from PS4 to Vita, without internet, without a router? With only a ps4 and a vita, nothing else?

I'll ask again as I didn't get a response before. Can I use a different account on the VITA to the PS4 if I want to use remote play? Or do they both have to be logged into with the same account?

Korten

Banned
Has anyone got it to work over the internet yet? Cause it doesn't seem to work for me... I have made sure all of my settings are correct but from school (At college), it just can't seem to find it. When I go back to my dorm it works but any other internet it just doesn't.

DieH@rd

Banned
Okay, can settle this once and for all.

Can you do remote play directly from PS4 to Vita, without internet, without a router? With only a ps4 and a vita, nothing else?

iImpmc9LenG4z.gif

Haven't been on GAF too much since I got my PS4 but can someone confirm Vita TV works with Remote Play with US PS4's.

I want to order one asap.

Both Vita and PS4 needs to have same account for RP to work. VitaTV for now works only with JP account. As for logging in JP account on PS4, it should work even though japanese PSN store is still not up and running. Maybe.

Tested my Vita at work today:

~7 miles from my house.

I have FIOS Quantum at home with their Wireless N Gigabit router and get about 80-100 down and 30-50 up depending on the test. Router has uPnP enabled by default. So didn't change anything from the default.

Played over visitor wifi at work. The closest access point is down the hallway but my signal on the vita gives me two bars. Speed test from here (using iphone on same network) was above 10 down. Couldnt get any speed tests to work on the Vita browser. I also disabled the wifi network power saving option on the vita (thanks GAF!)

It took quite a while to connect, but this was the first time connecting over the internet. It worked amazingly well. I played NFS and Resogun and they were very fun and playable. COD worked too. The latency and screen quality were amazing. This is truly next gen. Because this works so well I have decided to go fully digital for all my games going forward on PS4. Ironically Ill stay disc based for my XboxOne. Its yet another reason to buy all my multiplatform games on PS4 though. I am so excited right now. Cant wait to try this at my parents house where I spend alot of time.

Ironically, we still don't have a good video of someone using Vita RP away from home using WiFi connection. :) We only have 2 vids of people using RP via LTE. If you find time, record short vid of you playing resogun, just so that we can easily spot [lack of] latency.

georgc

What's this power saver off option for wifi? Is it

Settings>power saver settings>use wifi in power saver mode? Or should I turn off power saving all together? What are the benefits?

DieH@rd

Banned
What's this power saver off option for wifi? Is it

Settings>power saver settings>use wifi in power saver mode? Or should I turn off power saving all together? What are the benefits?

Users reported lower latency and less audio problems when all power saving modes are turned off.

GA_RoyalT

Neo Member
Not sure if posted, but my hdmi port on my older 720p television finally went out. So, while I wait to get a new tv, I thought let me see if I can remote play without the station hooked up to the tele, sure enough it worked it turned on the PS4 and when I was done playing resogun and a couple other games i hit the ps button on my vita and put the ps4 back in stand by, so technically when you have it setup you don't even need the t.v. I know this is probably old news but i just thought "this is amazing" at 2 a.m. bored haha.

Korten

Banned
Schools and Uni's are firewalled out the ass and will have lots of nonstandard ports blocked.
Nothing you can do there.

Hm... I guess that makes sense, but when on my laptop I don't seem to get blocked from anything... Not that I go to sites that typically would get blocked.

Geedorah

Schools and Uni's are firewalled out the ass and will have lots of nonstandard ports blocked.
Nothing you can do there.

My office blocks my WiFi from even connecting - nothing I can do about that I guess.

As for RP over the 'net, I was at my folks place about 30miles down the road and was able to play Warframe flawlessly via remoteplay. We both have TWC Extreme, for reference, and YMMV, etc.

DieH@rd

Banned
Not sure if posted, but my hdmi port on my older 720p television finally went out. So, while I wait to get a new tv, I thought let me see if I can remote play without the station hooked up to the tele, sure enough it worked it turned on the PS4 and when I was done playing resogun and a couple other games i hit the ps button on my vita and put the ps4 back in stand by, so technically when you have it setup you don't even need the t.v. I know this is probably old news but i just thought "this is amazing" at 2 a.m. bored haha.

Yes it was known, but you are the first full time tester of it. :)

TheGrue

Anyone know the minimum connection rate (up and down) you need to get this going? I played around with it connected direct to the PS4 and it worked great. Then switched it to use WiFi from another room in the house. When I try to connect, it tells me the connection is too slow. Sony's speed test thing on the PS4 shows 6 Mbps down and 1 Mbps up (my cable connection is 35 Mbps Down and like 15 Mbps up). My consoles are all on the other side of the house from my wireless router (which explains why the speeds are lower than my attainable rate) and I will be setting up another router on that side of the house to improve this, but I guess I was surprised the current rate wasn't good enough.

Korten

Banned
So I'm trying to connect with my iPhone's 3G mobile hotspot. The connection isn't THAT slow, with a 1.1 mb download and a 400 kb something upload but still can't seem to connect to my PS4... I wonder if I should change my PS4 to ethernet, wonder if that would help.

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
I love RP, I had it setup via PS4 ->router -> Vita

Trying to get it running at work but I forgot to add the PS4 as primary system :(

So apparently Lego Marvel works with two-screen co-op from one PS4 using a Vita like on Wii U. Anyone tried this? I guess you might have to use the second screen option or something.

Top Bottom