• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Replacement unit of Galaxy Note 7 exploded in Taiwan

Status
Not open for further replies.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
http://m.focustaiwan.tw/news/asoc/201610080009.aspx

The original link is in chinese with video interview and animated re-enact of the incident
http://m.appledaily.com.tw/realtimenews/article/local/20161008/964168

According to the report, a 26-year-old woman surnamed Lai was walking her dog in a park in Taipei when she realized smoke was spewing from her replacement Note 7, which Lai said she had picked up just 10 days ago.

Lai said she quickly pulled the phone from her jeans pocket and threw it on the ground, then waited until the smoke cleared before picking the phone up and taking it back to her workplace in her phone case, the report said.

The original article in Chinese, reported that she has been a long time Note series phone users and has used every Note model except Note 3. She doesn't feel anything amiss when it starts warming up before the explosion, because its been warming up often anyway before that, and she is used to it. She said she wants to change to an iphone, and she will be seeking a refund and not another replacement.

Samsung representative arrived with a basket of fruits when she goes to return the phone, and he also offered her a replacement phone of other model but she has rejected it. The representative has taken the exploded unit back to Samsung and he refuses commenting on behalf of the company.

Blablurn

Poor Samsung. What a bad year. But I'm sure they can deal with it. They better not fuck up the next line of phones though.

Crazyorloco

This is huge. They basically shouldn't even sell the phone now if the new units are exploding too. This is a major loss for Samsung.

The only reason I have an iPhone right now is because of this mess...but now I'm liking the iPhone life.

GeoNeo

I disagree.
Holy shit might be the biggest consumer disaster I've personally seen.

I see Samsung phones taking huge nose dive in sales next year other Android Phone companies have a good chance to snap up their customers and of course a ton of people will just switch to iPhone if they so feel like.

☠️ Samsung ☠️

Crazyorloco

Including the ones in mainland China, this is the 13th "safe" note 7 that exploded.

Jesus. I guess they didn't really find the problem with the initial tests done. They have no idea what's going on. Perhaps all that Samsung bloat on the Note 7 is causing overheating in a way?

Fermbiz

Gold Member
What exactly is the reason they're catching on fire. Are they still using faulty batteries? Is it a hardware issue?

Ever since, Im a bit worrisome about charging anything like my current phone, rechargeable batteries, etc.

At this rate they should just go back to their old batteries. Bad battery life or exploding notes... I think they'd just choose the former.

lachesis

Bought the Note 7 on day 1. Replaced to S7E for a loaner for a couple weeks, and got a replacement Note 7.... and now this happens. :(

I'm waiting on what would be the verdict from CPSC. If it's indeed dangerous and will be recalled, I don't think I will ever go back to Samsung phone again. It's been enough of mess already.

There's some articles that the all major U.S. Carriers would be offering replacing Note 7 to any other phones, and I'm quite certain, depending on CPSC's verdict, I will hop onto another phone. Only problem though, is that I just don't see a compelling phone in terms of design and functionality. Perhaps I should try out iPhones...

jobrro

I'm waiting on what would be the verdict from CPSC. If it's indeed dangerous and will be recalled, I don't think I will ever go back to Samsung phone again. It's been enough of mess already.

Super inconvenient and crazy it is happening on the replacement models. So far this weirdness has happened only on one model, so I am not writing Samsung off yet.

If some other player steps up and has a great chipset and battery life, microSD support
and water resistance I will consider. So far when I have been wanting a new phone the last 10 years Samsung has always up on top for my personal needs.

Super inconvenient and crazy it is happening on the replacement models. So far this weirdness has happened only on one model, so I am not writing Samsung off yet.

If some other player steps up and has a great chipset and battery life, microSD support
and water resistance I will consider. So far when I have been wanting a new phone the last 10 years Samsung has always up on top for my personal needs.

i don't even need the water resistance. it's nice but eh... where is the competitor with a stylus and S Note clone?

norm9

Not to blame the victims of these exploding batteries, but based on my experience of seeing the way people treating their phones, I can't blame it all on the battery.

Has there been any statistician that's been able to determine the percentage of exploding phones yet?

That video can't be correct. It says the circuit that is supposed to regulate charging fails but the two cases in the US the phones weren't being charge. One was on a plane and the other in a park.

If I had to guess at a cause it would be damage to the battery on installation.

The video is fine, it details out all of the "points of failure" and pretty much explains why it's the battery and not the phone, per se. I would personally believe it's the final point at the very end of the video, the metallic impurities in the Lithium, since all that needs for a chain-reaction is heat (and sufficient battery charge). At a lower charge it's harder to pull off because the plating wouldn't be big enough to bridge the anode.

If the lithium controller is failing, it's possible it's messing something up on the energy output, but maybe that's what Samsung replaced and it was really an impurity issue.

Damage as you say is an interesting vector - but it would have to be very exotic to be damaging the battery without giving Samsung an obvious culprit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom