• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Report: Duke Coaches, Administrators Ignored Sexual Assault Allegations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Original student paper report here.

Including Mike Krzyzewski

bea7m9efhorl3nkob8gu.jpg

Deadspin/The Chronicle said:
Duke junior Rasheed Sulaimon was dismissed from the men's basketball team on Jan. 29, 2015, with no official explanation given. According to a report published today by the Chronicle, Duke's student newspaper, Sulaimon was dismissed more than a year after he was accused of sexually assaulting two female students. The Chronicle also reports that high-ranking members of the university's athletic department were aware of the allegations as early as March 2014, and violated federal law by failing to report them.

The Chronicle reports that the allegations against Sulaimon were made on two separate occasions at a student retreat called Common Ground, which is held once each semester, and cites multiple witnesses at each retreat.

Neither student filed a police report or an official complaint with the university, but the Chronicle reports that word of the alleged assaults still reached people in the athletic department, including the head coach.

Big-time college athletics ladies and gentlemen.

Bizazedo

Neither student filed a police report or an official complaint with the university, but the Chronicle reports that word of the alleged assaults still reached people in the athletic department, including the head coach.

Sounds like they needed to research a bit, given that no official complaints or police reports were made. So they didn't get sued into oblivion. Y'know.

But also looks like they violated Title IX by not reporting?

Bizazedo

I wouldn't say research was the top priority.

There was never any report made, officially to the university or to police. Sounds like the two students were, unfortunately, afraid of their allegations making them targets by a Duke fanbase. It also sounds like Duke got some additional info that they should've reported to the government, but that it also was just eyewitness allegations and it's not like there was a trial.

History also matters, as Duke was also where the lacrosse team was accused and later exonerated.

Duke still dismissed the student, albeit many months later.

Do you have any additional info or are you just making suppositions?

There was never any report made, officially to the university or to police. Sounds like the two students were, unfortunately, afraid of their allegations making them targets by a Duke fanbase. It also sounds like Duke got some additional info that they should've reported to the government, but that it also was just eyewitness allegations and it's not like there was a trial.

History also matters, as Duke was also where the lacrosse team was accused and later exonerated.

Duke still dismissed the student, albeit many months later.

Do you have any additional info or are you just making suppositions?

I don't see what you're getting at. You basically outlined the issue at hand.

Bizazedo

This is nuclear with coach K involved.

Yeah. Still need more info, but say if something came out where Duke themselves discouraged the alleged victims....

Denzelboom.gif.

I don't see what you're getting at. You basically outlined the issue at hand.
Your negativity, I want to know what should've realistically been done differently given that they did dismiss the kid. Key word, "realistically", given the no charges or complaints filed.

We don't know the extent to which the Office of Student Conduct investigated the incident, given the absence of official charges.

Dean Sue's statement said as much. They know they were legally obligated to investigate. Whether they did is a different matter, and the article does not offer any insight one way or the other.

Why post the deadspin regurgitation of the newspaper article that contains more facts than the deadspin link? That said, even in the chronicle piece, there really isn't mich there. I guess they ran into a wall and just put what they had out there. Good luck to the student authors, they are going to have a rough remainder of their college career....

http://www.dukechronicle.com/articl...ault-allegations-prior-dismissal#.VPSPqoZOKrV

Good on them.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Ugh as much as I dislike Duke BBall and Coach K you can already feel the rush to judgment on this issue vs letting everything play out so to speak.

Okay, I don't literally know it as I am not Coach K nor involved with Duke basketball.

I do know if you help him win basketball games, certain issues can be swept under the rug.

Except he wasn't actually helping the team win basketball games.

The fact that everybody was shocked when it happened, yet nobody wanted him back on the team should tell you something about his standing in the program.

This isn't like what happened at FSU.

EDIT: This is the same school that fired a coach, expelled 3 players, and cancelled a season off of a FALSE rape allegation. Rushing to judgment would be the worst thing this administration could've done.

lush

NCAA won't do shit, still waiting on UNC punishment. They'll probably take it out on some non-blue blood program in the coming months.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
They actually dismissed him. I'm not sure what they did wrong - you guys do remember the Duke Lacrosse case right? Where they expelled three dudes who turned out to be completely innocent?

NCAA won't do shit, still waiting on UNC punishment. They'll probably take it out on some non-blue blood program in the coming months.

What violation did the program commit?

Can you say for certain that they weren't Title IX compliant based on the information presented in the Chronicle?

don't college campuses have an issue with reports on campus not actually making it to the proper authorities or...

I mean its not like the victim would go directly to coach K. It's gotta be just hearsay to him. Now if she actually went directly to K or his staff, that'd be some Joe Pa shit, but it didn't go down like that.

Ugh as much as I dislike Duke BBall and Coach K you can already feel the rush to judgment on this issue vs letting everything play out so to speak.

The other perspective on this is that it's been a year. Either the Duke administration spent that year investigating and found him noncompliant with some part of their code of conduct that included the sexual assaults and dismissed him, or the Duke administration spent that year investigating and found him noncompliant with some part of their code of conduct that did not include the sexual assaults and dismissed him. Things have 'played out' and this is the outcome. What conclusions others draw seems largely irrelevant until charges get pressed, which they likely won't, but that doesn't mean there's nothing to discuss until 100% of everything is made public.

kirblar

How much can you do with things that have been "heard about" but haven't actually been officially reported in any capacity? The Penn State situation involved a direct witness from the organization not going forward to the authorities.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
The other perspective on this is that it's been a year. Either the Duke administration spent that year investigating and found him noncompliant with some part of their code of conduct that included the sexual assaults and dismissed him, or the Duke administration spent that year investigating and found him noncompliant with some part of their code of conduct that did not include the sexual assaults and dismissed him. Things have 'played out' and this is the outcome. What conclusions others draw seems largely irrelevant until charges get pressed, which they likely won't, but that doesn't mean there's nothing to discuss until 100% of everything is made public.

I'm pretty sure its not either X, Y or nothing.

braves01

Banned
Damn if K goes down, the sporting world will shake. I'd need to make sure to tape Kornheiser's and Wilbon's show about it since they're such good friends with Coach K.

lush

What violation did the program commit?

Can you say for certain that they weren't Title IX compliant based on the information presented in the Chronicle?
Obviously it's way too early and the article has too little information to start making statements like that. Pretty bad look based on the article though.

How much can you do with things that have been "heard about" but haven't actually been officially reported in any capacity? The Penn State situation involved a direct witness from the organization not going forward to the authorities.

You have to report it and investigate to be Title IX compliant. The way Dean Sue commented seems to suggest the Office of Student Conduct knew and proceeded accordingly.

It's not like the Men's Bball program has to be the one that conducts the investigation.

Vandiger

Originally Posted by Deadspin/The Chronicle

Duke junior Rasheed Sulaimon was dismissed from the men's basketball team on Jan. 29, 2015, with no official explanation given. According to a report published today by the Chronicle, Duke's student newspaper, Sulaimon was dismissed more than a year after he was accused of sexually assaulting two female students. The Chronicle also reports that high-ranking members of the university's athletic department were aware of the allegations as early as March 2014, and violated federal law by failing to report them.

The Chronicle reports that the allegations against Sulaimon were made on two separate occasions at a student retreat called Common Ground, which is held once each semester, and cites multiple witnesses at each retreat.

Uh, no. I don't like this guilty until proven innocent especially with just rumors. University got rid of him anyways, so whats the controversy?

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

There is a difference between discussion and some people's inclination to rush to judgment in these situations.

Uh, no. I don't like this guilty until proven innocent especially with just rumors. University got rid of him anyways, so whats the controversy?

Actually, he's still a Duke student, just no longer part of the basketball team. Nothing so far has indicated that he's guilty of the charges directed against him.

As I understand it, privacy laws here run counter to being able to have a sensible discussion. The university, at most, can perhaps reveal their own timeline for events, but can't discuss anything about the events. No facts, no statements, nothing. This is obviously for the protection of the accuser and the accused, but then it also leaves it up to people's imaginations to draw whatever conclusions.

I can only hope that (a) the accusations are false, as I would rather live in a world where less people have been raped, but also (b) that everyone acted responsibly and timely in investigating these reports to whatever degree would be possible. I'd like to believe that the coaching staff and the university would not harbor someone they believe to be guilty of sexual assault.

If these allegations are true, then it is reasonable and prudent to have a conversation about why these women did not feel comfortable about reporting the crimes to law enforcement. We know that victims of sexual assault do not always report the crime, but if there was any fear of institutional reprisal, this is something we have to continually work to address. Sadly, humans are pathetic when it comes to treating one another with respect and compassion, and rooting interests (sports or otherwise) too often trump civility.

As it stands right now, we have reports that came to light during retreats, not from cases being opened with law enforcement agencies. We are led to believe the athletics department was made aware several months ago. We know that Sulaimon was dismissed from the team last month, and we know that he is still a student at Duke University. Somewhere, he did something that lost him the privilege of playing basketball for the school. As of now, he has not been found guilty of anything that would lose him the privilege of attending the university at all. One can only hope that whatever the facts are, we will know what we can of them as soon as possible.

TraBuch

Banned
For people asking why else he would be dismissed from the program, it could just be because he has a shitty attitude and K got fed up with it. He tends to not take practice all that seriously, he showed up out of shape last year, he pouts on the bench when he doesn't get enough playing time, he cries when something doesn't go his way on the court, lacks sportsmanship, etc. He's just an all-around douchebag. As a Duke fan, he's been one of my least favorite Duke players to watch just because of his shitty body language.

Proelite

Okay, I don't literally know it as I am not Coach K nor involved with Duke basketball.

I do know if you help him win basketball games, certain issues can be swept under the rug.

Added to the OP.

Yes, because we did SO WELL last year in the tournament.

FYI, the team is currently undefeated after his dismissal.

The basketball program might or might not have violated Title IX. We'll find out more in the future, or we might not.

But someone told me that nothing could possibly go wrong with Scott Walker's proposal to remove federal mandates for schools to report sexual assaults.

Title IX will surely protect all these women, as the universities have their best interest in mind at all times.

0_o

Fjordson

Not at all surprised that some heavy shit may have went down. This was the first player Coach K has ever kicked off a team in his entire Duke career if I'm not mistaken. What was surprising was how the story faded when this initially happened.

Tough to say right now how in the wrong Duke was (if at all). Though even if they were, you know the NCAA ain't doing shit.

For people asking why else he would be dismissed from the program, it could just be because he has a shitty attitude and K got fed up with it. He tends to not take practice all that seriously, he showed up out of shape last year, he pouts on the bench when he doesn't get enough playing time, he cries when something doesn't go his way on the court, lacks sportsmanship, etc. He's just an all-around douchebag. As a Duke fan, he's been one of my least favorite Duke players to watch just because of his shitty body language.
I dunno, Coach K has never in his career had to do this before. That had me thinking from the jump that this was potentially pretty bad.

TraBuch

Banned
Not at all surprised that some heavy shit may have went down. This was the first player Coach K has ever kicked off a team in his entire Duke career if I'm not mistaken. What was surprising was how the story faded when this initially happened.

Tough to say right now how in the wrong Duke was (if at all). Though even if they were, you know the NCAA ain't doing shit.

I dunno, Coach K has never in his career had to do this before. That had me thinking from the jump that this was potentially pretty bad.
Could be, or he just thought that Sulaimon had enough chances and his shitty attitude was hurting the team. They've been playing great since his dismissal so it seems plausible.

Not saying there's no way he raped anyone, just that his dismissal from the team isn't really proof that he did.

My basic experience from student conduct is that they are not an investigative body. If no actual complaint of any kind was ever filed to the police or to them, there is likely little for them to do.

Now it will be interesting to know why he was dismissed from the team.

Fjordson

Not saying there's no way he raped anyone, just that his dismissal from the team isn't really proof that he did.
Absolutely agree there. And sports writers (especially college ones) love to artificially blow up stories, so tough to say what happened right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom