• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Report: Microsoft now blocking VPN for Xbox purchases/code redemptions in other regions

ReyBrujo

Gold Member
After reading some comments, it seems that using a VPN to buy games at a cheaper price was the only valuable reason to get an Xbox. Isn't this further deterring people from buying the console?
That's literally the only reason Series sells more than PS5 down here, because Microsoft prices aren't straight conversions (whereas Steam and PS are so they are far more expensive). That and that when new games are added to the store they sometimes got bugged prices for 30-60 minutes so you might buy something that is 59.99 for literally 0.59. I guess selling only the hardware (even for profit) is not enough to justify letting people game the system, they need software sales for their publishers as well.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
And what about us who don't have MS store in our country ?
We should just quit playing ?

Legit curious which country you're from.

Also, I think you can set your country when making your MS / Xbox account too.

K' Dash

Legit curious which country you're from.

Also, I think you can set your country when making your MS / Xbox account too.

Gringos think MS supports the rest of the world as good as them, shocking…

I have paid American pricing for games since 2005, even when the average salary here is $600 - $800 a month, just to have access to buy games, DLC and multiplayer.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Gringos think MS supports the rest of the world as good as them, shocking…

I have paid American pricing for games since 2005, even when the average salary here is $600 - $800 a month, just to have access to buy games, DLC and multiplayer.

Man I just asked him which country he's from :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Power Pro

Good. Pay the full price, you cheap fucks.
No Way Thinking GIF

I used vpn once and got Elden ring for $40 on release.

Just got a gaming pc though so i sold my xbox and im not going back.

The PC game prices already are much cheaper than console. I got Star Wars outlaws for $47 on PC. Compared to $69.99 on console plus tax.

dorkimoe

i know youtube cracked down on this, if/when they get me ill be so pissed. the price difference between countries is absolutely insane.

Cakeboxer

With the exception of some games that are unavailable in your region, I really don't understand the people who try to capitalize on discounts from other region pricing/currency differences. Are you really saving THAT much money? Meanwhile you need to manage multiple accounts and storefronts, double check that any DLC is purchased in a region compatible with where you own the base game. Sometimes for multiplayer games, your region dictates who you can play with. Seems like a huge hassle, not worth the time or effort.
This is not PlayStation. You could redeem all keys on your main account and the games were in your language. And yes, the money saving was gigantic. Often paid >5 dollar for games that were 40+ dollar in the store. Good thing i switched to pc years ago, because that was the only reason to have a console and now it's gone.

lachesis

Gold Member
Hope it doesn't affect my ability US bought item and download it from another country's market place (for preferred language support). If not... it will be the final coffin for me to drop Xbox all together and go steam all the way.

Kerotan

With the exception of some games that are unavailable in your region, I really don't understand the people who try to capitalize on discounts from other region pricing/currency differences. Are you really saving THAT much money? Meanwhile you need to manage multiple accounts and storefronts, double check that any DLC is purchased in a region compatible with where you own the base game. Sometimes for multiplayer games, your region dictates who you can play with. Seems like a huge hassle, not worth the time or effort.
I can pay 80 euro to buy a game Day 1 or another region account to buy for about 63 euro.

RespawnX

The quintessence of globalisation. Corporations use it to exploit cheap labour, evade taxes and cut costs. But watch out for customers who think they can save even a single buck.

It was to be expected that Microsoft would put a stop to this sooner or later. After all, they have made several attempts in this direction in recent months.

Let's remember that this is a corporation that only hires people for 18 months as external contractors in order to save costs. Then they come up with gems like Forza Motorsport, for which they want you to pay 80 bucks.

Lillie

My cousin was still able to activate a code with a VPN earlier today for games from different regions from Gamivo

Last edited:

Mattyp

Gold Member
Today I learned where North Macedonia was. Pictures of it look beautiful, it's a shame to hear that Sony/MS don't support a store in your country 😢
Ohrid was a beautiful place to visit for a week, everything was extremely cheap. Think eurotrip movie with the Eastern European bit.

I would probably prefer to live in Montenegro but if I was choosing.

SLoco

Neo Member
Buy games from your region and stop cheating all the time.
Actually most of countries does not have their own regional store on xbox so microsoft allowed players to pick any region they wanted and most of them took Argentina and later Turkey.(i think sony only allowed usa one,i could be wrong)
Economy of those 2 countries went downhill so did their currency which caused people all over world buying stuff for dirt cheap(not Just games).
Rummor has it xbox will block every store but usa one.

Also do not forget people with series s can only buy from online store,and if they make it so that players can only buy from their local store unsupported region players wont be able to buy games on series s lol

Last edited:

cireza

Gold Member
Also do not forget people with series s can only buy from online store,and if they make it so that players can only buy from their local store unsupported region players wont be able to buy games on series s lol
So you are saying that Microsoft are selling Series S in countries where they don't have an online store ?

6AE06C52E127CB62C438D75B55718FB09E7C66D2

Sushi_Combo

I guess maybe people should think harder before spending money on a digital only console that could eventually render you with a lemon if the platform holder decides to pull their digital distribution out of your country lol.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Doesn’t surprise me with Microsoft if they have stopped it.

To be honest, I bought Elden Ring day one for £25 using a VPN but also bought it for full price on PSN.

Now I think it’s a dick move and I wouldn’t do it again. I see people getting BG3 from the Icelandic Store for £13 and I just think they are idiots to be honest.

SLoco

Neo Member
So you are saying that Microsoft are selling Series S in countries where they don't have an online store ?

6AE06C52E127CB62C438D75B55718FB09E7C66D2
Yeah lol ,you can buy disk for series x,but series s only digital
I guess maybe people should think harder before spending money on a digital only console that could eventually render you with a lemon if the platform holder decides to pull their digital distribution out of your country lol.
People just wanted to play games ,and xbox became 10 times more user friendly this generation then sony but as Phill said hes running business here,i mean there is reason xbox never got big in europe,good luck to them in publishing tho

RavageX

So I used this from time to time. It definitely helped and since its going away this it is one more reason for me to not mess with consoles(again, something I never thought I would ever say).

Pay full price? Why? What favors are these companies doing you when they release broken games and microtransactions out the ass?

IF a game legit is worth full price I will consider it. There are still a few that are(to me) but its a select few, and even those companies are starting to get greedy and drop in quality.

Sleepwalker

From 12 days ago

Nico0067

1d ago
So I did some digging on the internet and found this;

Microsoft recently sent emails alerting about changes to the service contract, something it always does but no one usually takes it into account. However, this time they made a very important change: starting September 30, you will not be able to buy games in a different region, and if you still manage to do so, they reserve the right to withdraw your acquired intangible assets.
With these changes, Microsoft is paired with Sony and Nintendo in terms of region change policies, in a battle against users who buy cheaper games and services in stores with large inflationary effects such as Argentina or Turkey. As of September 30, the country in which your account is located will be the final one, and if you want to buy games in another region you will have to create a new account from 0 in that region and you will only be able to play these games there, without being able to share them between accounts. It is not yet clear what will happen to the codes sold in digital stores such as eneba or g2a.

Well, it was fun while it lasted.

Not being able to share them is crazy, in PSN you can absolutely share them between accounts.

DragonNCM

I don't know why MS didn't implement till now option so you can select other region(EU or US) & pay price as in $ or Euro.
Dumb ass trilion$ company.

Trying to understand if this affect me... when i got my XSX i opened an UK account, even tho i don't live in the UK, ever since i can redeem UK codes like Game Pass codes or gift cards codes.. without using VPN, so to my understanding it shouldn't affect me, yes? only when using VPN it's now problematic?
I once bought a Biomutant US code and did needed VPN even tho i opened a new account on XSX, that's why i like the PS method better.. open a US acc and UK acc and no VPN needed... on XSX it's like it's locked to UK when i first open an account on it and changing to other region still needs VPN.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I can bet if they see drops in subscription & sales they will revert it.....
They won't. They are more interested in revenue and profitability, instead of only the total number of subscribers.

That's why they also removed the various $1-for-3 month deals and increased the price multiple times, fully knowing that the total number of subscribers will drop.

DragonNCM

They won't. They are more interested in revenue and profitability, instead of only the total number of subscribers.

That's why they also removed the various $1-for-3 month deals and increased the price multiple times, fully knowing that the total number of subscribers will drop.
yeah but no subscribers=no revenue, I can bet there is more then 1million subscribers like me.

DragonNCM

So how exactly are you going to play any of their first party games?
I wont, if they don't want my money.......fine, Steam sure don't complain about my region or country.
Actually when I think about it MS is on the final mission to kill the console.

Last edited:
Top Bottom