• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Report: Resident Evil 7 on iOS has earned Capcom $28,140 since launch

Draugoth

Gold Member
Resident-Evil-7_2SBBxwQ.jpg

The release of Resident Evil 7 on iOS has reportedly only earned Capcom $28,140 so far.

This is according to figures from AppMagic reported by Mobilegamer.biz, with the publication saying that the title has been downloaded around 83,000 times since launch on July 2.

Mobilegamer.biz extrapolated that, taking into account Apple's cut, this could mean that the title has only gathered around 2,000 paying customers. GamesIndustry.biz has reached out to Capcom to get more information.

Source

LordOfChaos

What Apple should be doing is funding bespoke games that take advantage of the form factor and their own chip in phones, beyond the indie tier fluff on Apple Arcade.

Clearly no one really wants to play few year old PC AAA ports on iPhone, and the performance is often lacking. But I guess they're just trying to maximize their market by combining the iPhone, iPad, and Mac markets for it.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

Nobody buys full priced games on mobile stores. Apple, Google and the publishers conditioned the customer base for it.

You do still have SE peddling some of their smaller and older titles plus a smattering of others, but otherwise it’s sea of shit and it is not likely to change.

Mind you and I personally do buy SE’s, Capcom’s and others reasonably priced games. I just don’t think anyone is going to pay a lot of cash for RE on mobile.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I mentioned this in the other thread, but I bought Death Stranding Director’s Cut (for $20) on the App Store, and it supports automatic cross saves between iOS and macOS. So I’m able to play with maxed visuals at 60fps on my MBP, then take my game on the go on my iPhone at 30fps. It’s genuinely pretty nice.

But like Stereo said, everyone has been conditioned to pay little to nothing for games on mobile. Even when Nintendo released a Mario game with no micro transactions, it did waaaaaay worse than every other one of their F2P games.

The problem is us. There’s no reason why we couldn’t have high quality games on our phones. It’s just never gonna happen because of how we view the App Store. It’s a shame, really. These phones are so powerful with absolutely gorgeous displays, there’s no reason why we shouldn’t be gaming on them.

Mibu no ookami

Demoted Member® Pro™
Apple's AAA gaming should be focused on MacOS and tvOS first and foremost with entitlements spread across devices to include but not be focused on iOS.

I'm surprised they never bought a tv company to better incorporate tvOS into or partnered with anyone with tvOS.

MacReady13

I was hearing that phones were a massive threat to the console space. Good to see Capcom can officially retire from the flagging console space and just focus solely on mobile phones where ALL the money is...

bender

What time is it?
I mentioned this in the other thread, but I bought Death Stranding Director’s Cut (for $20) on the App Store, and it supports automatic cross saves between iOS and macOS. So I’m able to play with maxed visuals at 60fps on my MBP, then take my game on the go on my iPhone at 30fps. It’s genuinely pretty nice.

But like Stereo said, everyone has been conditioned to pay little to nothing for games on mobile. Even when Nintendo released a Mario game with no micro transactions, it did waaaaaay worse than every other one of their F2P games.

The problem is us. There’s no reason why we couldn’t have high quality games on our phones. It’s just never gonna happen because of how we view the App Store. It’s a shame, really. These phones are so powerful with absolutely gorgeous displays, there’s no reason why we shouldn’t be gaming on them.

Does the IOS version entitle you to the macOS version?

bender

What time is it?
Yes, I took this screenshot a minute ago on the App Store, purchasing it allows you to play on Mac, iPhone and iPad with cross-save between all three.

yBotnO.jpg

That's good at least and strengthens the use case. Is that universal or on an app by app basis? I still remember being salty about IOS/IPadOS versions of Cave's shmups.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
If it's doing so poorly why are you guys still so afraid enough to keep so up to date with every aspect ??? 🤷‍♂️

near

Gold Member
Selling anyone a game on the iOS App Store is an uphill battle. If it’s not F2P or it’s not on Apple Arcade, no one cares. It doesn’t matter how good RE7 or Death Stranding is, they’re not games designed for the platform in mind and simply do not fit the gaming habits of mobile gamers.

MrRibeye

I wonder if sales are low because it's a 7-year old game, and not brand new.

Lies of P released on Mac on the same day as everywhere else and based on how SteamDB calculates sales numbers for Steam, my estimation is that Lies of P sold somewhere between 2,500 - 5,500 copies on the App Store, so maybe the oldness of RE7 has nothing to do with it. Dunno.

ssringo

Did Capcom port out of their own pocket or did Apple pay them partial/full funding?

$28k is kinda funny but doesn't necessarily mean anyone lost money on the port. I doubt it cost that much to do.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
They should throw it on Apple Arcade, why not at this point?

I also want to say that it's only playable on a small fraction of iOS devices. Like two phones and high-end iPads.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
What Apple should be doing is funding bespoke games that take advantage of the form factor and their own chip in phones, beyond the indie tier fluff on Apple Arcade.

Clearly no one really wants to play few year old PC AAA ports on iPhone, and the performance is often lacking. But I guess they're just trying to maximize their market by combining the iPhone, iPad, and Mac markets for it.

Apple couldn't care less whether porting console game to iPhones and iPad makes business sense. For them it's just marketing: "WOW! Our iPhones are so fast and advanced now you can run console/PC games on them!"

ReBurn

Gold Member
That's still record earnings for Resident Evil 7 on iOS because Resident Evil 7 on iOS never earned that much before.

Think About It GIF by Identity

I'd buy full priced and have bought full prices games on my android phones and tablets but some things need to be done.

1. The game has to fit. A port of heroes of might and magic 3(can't play anymore can't even sideload see point 2), or other turn based games, yes please. Resident evil or twitch fest fps.. No.

2. Update the games when Google puts down stupid rules that makes the games no longer playable on new phones. (I lost countless apps updating my phone as Google isn't allowing a thing from before Android sdk24 to work including my gear s3 watch from 2015 grr...

3. Make it reasonable in price with no ads.

4. Don't lock out other phones (f you apple /Tim Cock!)
Seriously apple blocking android ports is bs. Also them getting from sites shutdown from Nintendo is annoying. Was fine before Apple let emulators up and the young apple cult came over.

Resident evil games are too twitch based and have been on everything, not surprising that low sales.

Last edited:

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Did Capcom port out of their own pocket or did Apple pay them partial/full funding?

$28k is kinda funny but doesn't necessarily mean anyone lost money on the port. I doubt it cost that much to do.

Probably a Pepperoni Pizza and a six pack of Natty Light for the intern that handles Switch ports.

tuesdays.jpg

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.

Dorfdad

Gold Member

I’ll tell you why it’s apples demanding for years that games have to have and support touch screen shit controls. They need to make a damn dock for game gaming and charging that uses the controllers. I’d buy more games if I could use it like a mobile console.

There are a plethora of reasons why fully priced games don't sell on flagship phones, and not just the usual "mobile gamers don't pay for fully priced games" argument.

One among them is that, if you can afford a new $1200 flagship phone, you can buy a $400 PS5 that plays new AAA games at acceptable performance, and not play at 300p 30 FPS on your phone, worse than a last gen console released 11 years ago.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Games on the apple store can fucking break om any random IOS update and you get fuck all.

So i pay fuck all

Top Bottom