• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Report: UFC 197 to feature both Conor McGregor AND Holy Holm

Status
Not open for further replies.
BREAKING: Multiple sources confirm UFC will soon announce UFC 197 for March 5 in Vegas with Dos Anjos/McGregor and Holm/Tate.

Source (via DeadSpin)

So the Holly Holm-Misha Tate fight for the women's bantemweight title before the rematch with Ronda Rousey at UFC 200. And then Conor McGregor stepping up a weight to take on Rafael dos Anjos for the lightweight belt. On the same night.

HOLY SHIT!

Dana lost count by 3 apparently

Truthfully, I wonder if - assuming all goes to plan in March - Dana would be willing to put Conor forward for UFC 200 alongside Rousey/Holm II?

I realise I'm getting ahead of myself here, but boy, that'd be killer. Plus, CM Punk debut? Talk about stacked.

Truthfully, I wonder if - assuming all goes to plan in March - Dana would be willing to put Conor forward for UFC 200 alongside Rousey/Holm II?

I realise I'm getting ahead of myself here, but boy, that'd be killer. Plus, CM Punk debut? Talk about stacked.

CM Punk on the Fight Pass prelims

RDA and Holm by whatever they want. I feel bad for tate though. She's hella solid, just always in that weird spot and can't seem to push over that last bit.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
Well, then. Has McGregor made up his mind what weight class he wants to be in then? (Edit: Nvm. Saw the lightweight bit late. =p) I guess Edgar vs Aldo for featherweight belt?

Well, then. Has McGregor made up his mind what weight class he wants to be in then? Nvm. Saw the lightweight bit late. =p

Dana said on Tuesday he is allowing him to have both belts if he can win them. So he'll be the 2 division champion. First ever in UFC history if he can do it.

Dude is a warrior

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
I think he may be doing both afterall. Sounded like dana may have changed his mind.

Interesting. I wonder how that'll work having to defend both. From what I understand McGregor's team really aren't keen on him having to make weight for featherweight fights. In any case, it'll be fun to see how he does in the lightweight division. Going up against dos Anjos will be pretty nuts.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
I don't think there's a chance of Ronda showing up at UFC 200 ready to fight. Holm wouldn't be fighting Tate in March if that was the case.

I don't think there's a chance of Ronda showing up at UFC 200 ready to fight. Holm wouldn't be fighting Tate in March if that was the case.

Im thinking if they are booking Holm and McGregor right before UFC 200 that means one thing.

Jones returns vs DC at UFC 200
And GSP is fighting Lawler at UFC 200

And Brock Lesnar is going to fight Fedor

Doubt it.

The other 2 fights are legit happening. One is already confirmed to be (though not at 200 yet) and anyone who has been paying attention knows GSP is back in the cage in the next 6 months. He's in camp as we speak

ApharmdX

Banned
Conor is going to fight RDA for the title, as his first LW fight? That doesn't seem like a great idea. Dos Anjos is good. His chin was cracked against Stephens long ago, so McGregor has a puncher's chance, but on paper this is a very hard matchup for him.

You gotta admire Conor's brass balls.

Doubt it.

The other 2 fights are legit happening. One is already confirmed to be (though not at 200 yet) and anyone who has been paying attention knows GSP is back in the cage in the next 6 months. He's in camp as we speak

GSP said he'd do a camp and then decide, he may not be into it when he's done

Also has to figure out the Reebok issues since he is with Underarmour

GSP said he'd do a camp and then decide, he may not be into it when he's done

Also has to figure out the Reebok issues since he is with Underarmour

Firas just said this, this week.

“(St-Pierre)’s getting his body in shape and we’re going to explore options in the near future,” Zahabi told ESPN. “I think personally– these are not his words – there is more fight in him. I think Georges is going to make a splash soon.”

Get ready, hes coming.

NYR

Pretty amazing the rebound UFC is having. They looked like they were in deep shit 2 years ago.

I hope he takes a tune up fight before fighting for the strap, Lawler is scary

Yeah can't say I disagree with that, but Freddie Roach said GSP is going for the title so we'll see.

But yeah going straight into Lawler after the layoff he had would certainly be a pretty damn scary proposition.

Dr.Acula

Banned
Fuuuck, GSP comeback would be Godly. I know he's gonna get murdered, but it's GSP!

Crazy that McGregor went from a title unification to a title challenge in a different weight class in three months.

I guess not taking any damage was a factor.

FaceTurn

Despite my avatar, I had my doubts when Mystic Mac fought Aldo let alone the monster that RDA has become. Gotta respect the confidence though. Wish more fighters especially champs would go at it like he does.

RDA is big as f*ck for lightweight ... This fight is awful for McGregor. Better hope for that flash KO.

Poor tate, she's gonna get styled hard.

RDA is big as f*ck for lightweight ... This fight is awful for McGregor. Better hope for that flash KO.

Poor tate, she's gonna get styled hard.

He's not new to Lightweight. Had 11 fights at LW before dropping to FW, winning that belt and going back up to LW to win that belt in Cage Warriors. He was a 2 division champion coming into the UFC. Should be an awesome fight. Then Conor v Frankie at 200 for FW title.

Chesskid1

Banned
just officially announced by UFC and conor himself (quoted below)

http://www.ufc.com/news/UFC-197-ann...afael-dos-anjos-and-holly-holm-vs-miesha-tate

OFFICIAL FIGHT ANNOUNCEMENT:

Conor McGregor Vs Rafael Dos Anjos for the UFC Lightweight World Championship.
March 5th.
MGM Grand, Las Vegas.
LIVE ON PPV.

This McGregor Inc. executive business decision is brought to you by the King himself in association with EA Sports. 'McGregor is the Game.'

Mr. McGregor would like to thank the fans and the media for their patience in this decision.
Mr. McGregor was still busy counting the take from his last fight.

He has chosen to dedicate this demolition job to the loyal people of Brazil and all the fans around the globe who stay true to their roots and loyal to their land.

Mr. McGregor has said that Rafael is a traitor to his people and vows to "behead the 'American Gringo' Rafael Dos Anjos, in the name of La Brasilia!"

Viva la Brasil!

See you all in Las Vegas, March 5th!!!

The King returns!

https://www.facebook.com/thenotoriousmma/posts/1194121760656121:0

hell yes

Why can't the majority of people in the comment section not realize that Frankie is still next in line for the FW belt :( This is the LW belt.

Beardz

OFFICIAL FIGHT ANNOUNCEMENT:
Conor McGregor Vs Rafael Dos Anjos for the UFC Lightweight World Championship.
March 5th.
MGM Grand, Las Vegas.
LIVE ON PPV.
This McGregor Inc. executive business decision is brought to you by the King himself in association with EA Sports. 'McGregor is the Game.'
Mr. McGregor would like to thank the fans and the media for their patience in this decision.
Mr. McGregor was still busy counting the take from his last fight.
He has chosen to dedicate this demolition job to the loyal people of Brazil and all the fans around the globe who stay true to their roots and loyal to their land.
Mr. McGregor has said that Rafael is a traitor to his people and vows to "behead the 'American Gringo' Rafael Dos Anjos, in the name of La Brasilia!"
Viva la Brasil!
See you all in Las Vegas, March 5th!!!
The King returns!

The King indeed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom