• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Republicans to kill U.S. rules on corruption, environment, labor and guns next week

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beefy

Congressional Republicans are set to overturn a slew of Obama-era regulations next week, including a controversial anti-bribery rule aimed at U.S. resource companies such as Exxon Mobil Corp (XOM.N) and Chevron Corp (CVX.N), according to a top lawmaker.

After six years of legal battles, the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission in June approved the rule requiring companies to disclose payments to foreign governments. It will probably be killed swiftly with two simple congressional votes.

Other rules eyed for quick overturning by Congress include newly minted environmental, gun control and labor relations measures, sources said.

Earlier this month, McCarthy said the House would try to kill regulations protecting streams and forests from coal mining's impacts, curbing methane leaks on public lands, and requiring employers to report workers' information as part of an attempt to end pay discrimination.

In a Wall Street Journal opinion piece on Wednesday, he also added a rule expanding background checks on gun purchases for disabled Social Security recipients to the hit list, as well as the anti-bribery regulation.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-u...=topNews&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=Social

simpsons-republicans2.jpg

I get it. Republicans have seemingly always hated environment, labor and gun laws, but corruption laws? How....how do you possibly justify that?

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
why is trump able to do so much so quickly? is this because they hold the house and senate?

Ac30

I get it. Republicans have seemingly always hated environment, labor and gun laws, but corruption laws? How....how do you possibly justify that?

Did you forget the ethics committee debacle?

Anyways, I'm impressed - the Republicans really want to destroy the country, and the planet to boot.

Only liberals can be corrupt, and the Republicans are fine because they all have God on their side.

That's probably their thought process.

Maledict

why is trump able to do so much so quickly? is this because they hold the house and senate?

Yes. It's also far, far easier to scrap things than it is to make things. We're not seeing any new legislation right now, just a massive unraveling of everything Obama did.

They don't actually have much policy beyond 'scrap regulation, lower taxes,'.

"Both sides of the argument" no longer holds any weight with me. This is what the American right stands for. Death, destruction and dismay in the name of profit.

Omadahl

Banned
Another day in the hellscape we've created. Can we start the coup now? Please? I even have a pitchfork and 50 feet of rope.

Revolt, seriously. They do not have your interests in mind, they will allow the rape and pillage of America. Fight back. Do not take a wait and see approach. Organize, march on Washington.

Ithil

"They're trying to politicize politics! Anti-corruption WITCH HUNTS get in the way of patriotism! Regulations cause wrinkles!"

Etc.

RDreamer

To the 'both sides are the same' fuckers I know are lurking in this thread right now: Would Clinton have done this?

Protip: The "both sides are the same" people aren't actually paying attention to any of this at all. They tune in once every 2-4 years just to get annoyed that their Facebook feed is full of politics and they get angry that they don't understand what's going on so they pretend to be better than everyone.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
To the 'both sides are the same' fuckers I know are lurking in this thread right now: Would Clinton have done this?

We get this post in every Trump thread... When was the last time we saw a 'both sides are the same fucker' around here? This place has been as somber as a memorial service this past week.

Eidan

Protip: The "both sides are the same" people aren't actually paying attention to any of this at all. They tune in once every 2-4 years just to get annoyed that their Facebook feed is full of politics and they get angry that they don't understand what's going on so they pretend to be better than everyone.

2-4 years? You're giving them too much credit. They pay attention during presidential election years, lament how they can't believe these are our choices (douches and turd sandwiches!), and disappear when the GOP begin their fuckery.

MrHoot

Since when have DEM vs GOP become Good vs Evil? I always thought it was more of Left vs Right...

I wish, but the democratic party will fucking roll over as they still haven't understand that they cannot win trump supporters.

The country is basically in the hands of these monsters for years to come unless the people does something. And that something is probably gonna have to be more drastic than most want it to be

Article said:
Under the Congressional Review Act, Congress can use simple majority votes to stop recent regulations in their tracks. The timing in the law means that any rules that became final after May 31 could go on the chopping block.

NPR had a good podcast about this last week
http://www.npr.org/sections/money/2017/01/18/510456884/episode-748-undoing-obama

Measley

That, and unlike when Obama took office, the US economy is doing extremely well. Unlike Obama, Trump and congress don't have to worry about the US entering a depression.

The fucked up thing about all of this is that Republicans have actually received less votes than Democrats in several elections, yet they still hold power.

So much for Democracy....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom